AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2006-04-04, 01:41   Link #1
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Nana

It is surprising that there is no thread on Nana, maybe lost in the tragic-crash.

It is a great story. After seeing the attention live action movie has gotten, and with an experience of Hana Yori Dango on the genre, I have recently started reading it and I can say this is as powerful as HYD.

For the starters, this is the story of two girls of the same name (Nana) but totally different characters deciding to go to Tokyo at the same time, and starting to live together. Both, in some way, pursue the dream of being with/close to her boyfriends, one directly and the other through music. Since you may get distracted with the background introduction, bear with the first few chapters to prepare for the feast coming after the paths of both Nana cross. You will experience a great deal of emotional experience.

Spoiler:
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 01:53   Link #2
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Thumbs up good thing to say

You're completely right to open a thread for Nana. It's the only shôjo i can think of that absolutely everyone likes ( as far as i know of), even those who don't usually read manga. Some have even been taking an real interest in all of it after they started reading that wonderful friendship story. Yet, in my opinion, it is completely different from Hana Yori Dango, wich is too badly drawn and too simply going on, when you look closely at it ( i hate " rich bad people" caricatures, actually...).
Anyway, I have to say i haven't read the last few volumes (of Nana) yet, but i will soon.
I don't wan't to watch the movie though, since i've been told it was pretty lame, compared to the original work...
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 22:55   Link #3
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Sankyuu for reviving this thread, hun!

Anyway, I absolutely adore Nana! Its one of those mangas where you can actually relate too, and you actually make you think or make some kind of emotional response when you read a chapter. Its not like those other shoujo mangas where things are all bright and cheerful and happy, happy, joy, joy; its realistic, heart wrenching but beautiful too.

Anyway, this Ai Yawaza's ingenious mangas seriously need more love! This manga is just too awesome *pout*

Spoiler:

*sighs* My Nana fangirlisms are getting WAY out of hand, but nonetheless, people should really be reading this manga, it's shoujo but probably the most enjoyable shojo out there that can be read by non-shojo fans.
mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 01:28   Link #4
TekNiks
kali mandirigma

lol it looks like i came at a good time. Even though this is shoujo, I think everyone should check this out. It starts off kina of slow, but the character development is so well done readers are able to form a deep connection with the characters. It's been a while since a somthing has been able to touch me the way this manga has. If your a KGNE fan I know that your gonna like this one.

Spoiler:

I cant wait for the anime, which should be airing in a few hours. I really want a 52 episode series out of this one, there is enough manga material for one. I really dont think they would be able to recreate that same connection that you get with the manga unless they do 52 episodes.
TekNiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 19:34   Link #5
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt
Since you may get distracted with the background introduction, bear with the first few chapters to prepare for the feast coming after the paths of both Nana cross. You will experience a great deal of emotional experience.
The first volume was astonishingly boring. You sure it's worth continuing? I read the first two volumes of Paradise Kiss and those were bad as well. Maybe I'm just not cut out to read Ai Yazawa.
Old 2006-04-07, 19:44   Link #6
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
The first volume was astonishingly boring. You sure it's worth continuing? I read the first two volumes of Paradise Kiss and those were bad as well. Maybe I'm just not cut out to read Ai Yazawa.
I felt the same thing at the beginning. Although I don't know even after reading 12-13 volumes you will have the same emotional experience as me, but, regardless of that, I suggest you to give it one more chance and continue reading.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 21:31   Link #7
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I also thought the first volume was boring, but then again, it was all background information on the two Nanas, the real stuff starts in volume two, and after that you just get addicted.

mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 05:24   Link #8
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffinelurve
I also thought the first volume was boring, but then again, it was all background information on the two Nanas, the real stuff starts in volume two, and after that you just get addicted.

I can't agree more: It is just addictive. Consider my background (a guy, not getting younger anymore that needs to worry about receding hairline) and the fact that I never like romantic manga (I don't enjoy Parakiss and Honey and Clover) and most shoujo stuff, I got completely hooked to Nana after 4-5 volume.

AND ONE SERIOUS SPOLIER......
Spoiler:
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 20:27   Link #9
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
I can't agree more: It is just addictive. Consider my background (a guy, not getting younger anymore that needs to worry about receding hairline) and the fact that I never like romantic manga (I don't enjoy Parakiss and Honey and Clover) and most shoujo stuff, I got completely hooked to Nana after 4-5 volume.

AND ONE SERIOUS SPOLIER......
Spoiler:
spoilers for my speculation on Vol 12 and the future.
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 23:59   Link #10
sei_sho

about shouji in nana

just wondering does nana(hachi) stay w/ shouji? i mean she's pregnant is it with shouji? basically, i dont know where to get the manga, i like shouji but how is he in the manga up til now? alright thankyou
sei_sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-04, 11:30   Link #11
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sei_sho
just wondering does nana(hachi) stay w/ shouji? i mean she's pregnant is it with shouji? basically, i dont know where to get the manga, i like shouji but how is he in the manga up til now? alright thankyou
If you really want to know it is a spoiler
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 10:37   Link #12
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ah, a Nana manga thread! Seeing as I'm not following the anime *showers Live-eviL with roses to motivate them*I decided to re-read the manga chapters and now I'm so hyped I want to babble alot about it but I'll be content with commentting on one thing:

Spoiler for the manga until Chapter 58 of Volume 16:

I love NANA. <3 Anyone know is this (Volume 16) is the last volume?
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 23:00   Link #13
sei_sho

wat happens with shouji, did he cheat on nana?

just give me the spolier i wont be reading the manga, plus i dont know where to get it...anyways please
sei_sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 00:20   Link #14
Lilith
Your average fangirl

sei_sho,
Spoiler for the answer:

Last edited by Lilith; 2006-06-08 at 07:35. Reason: I misunderstood what they asked about.
Old 2006-06-13, 16:54   Link #15
fromage

Spoiler for Question & Comments:

Last edited by fromage; 2006-06-13 at 17:25.
fromage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 07:06   Link #16
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage

Spoiler:
Ja-Y-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 07:42   Link #17
ShellyKukai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage
Spoiler:
ShellyKukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 12:47   Link #18
fromage

hehe should we just start a new thread that says SPOILER on it so we can just talk normal? Cuz really, most of us can only talk about what's been released so is it really a spoiler then?

anyways...
Spoiler:

In any case, I love this story. It depresses me like crazy but somehow I enjoy it. Maybe i'm a masochist
Old 2006-06-14, 16:17   Link #19
Lilith
Your average fangirl

LOL fromage. ^_^ That's the charm of Nana, I guess.

Spoiler for the manga until Chapter 58 of Volume 16:

Last edited by Lilith; 2006-06-14 at 23:00.
Old 2006-06-15, 03:57   Link #20
fromage

ramble ramble ramble...i have no life and it's finals week. gotta distract myself somehow.

Spoiler for i dont even know what to call this(up to ch 58):