AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-07-04, 14:09   Link #1281
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
wait a second? since when did being a linguistic translator have anything to do with literature? just because he can translate doesn't mean he knows the ins and outs of storywriting
And/or there may actually be no connection between Mikuru and Kyon's sister after all. You're speculating. Just because a literary device may be in play, doesn't automatically mean that it'll be employed every time the opportunity arises. The comment may simply be the end of it, or it may not. All we can truly do is wait and see...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 14:13   Link #1282
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
And/or there may actually be no connection between Mikuru and Kyon's sister after all. You're speculating. Just because a literary device may be in play, doesn't automatically mean that it'll be employed every time the opportunity arises. The comment may simply be the end of it, or it may not. All we can truly do is wait and see...
wait a sec..so you're telling me this like you think i don't know that already? i'm just pissed that someone here is telling me i don't have the right to SPECULATE..maybe when speculating gets thrown down as being AGAINST THE RULES OF THIS FORUM...then i'll quit speculating
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 14:37   Link #1283
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
wait a sec..so you're telling me this like you think i don't know that already? i'm just pissed that someone here is telling me i don't have the right to SPECULATE..maybe when speculating gets thrown down as being AGAINST THE RULES OF THIS FORUM...then i'll quit speculating
Just calm down... this whole thing is a misunderstanding. It looks like the translator assumed that you may have jumped to a conclusion due to his translation being unclear, so was trying to clarify that "they never said that", which you actually knew all along, but Kinny didn't realize that. Of course, in the novel, they never said or implied that the two are related, but it's possible that statement could prove to be ironic in the end (which is what you were saying). So, of course you can speculate... Kinny got defensive because he thought you were drawing conclusions based on a misinterpreted translation (and misattributed the "conspiracy" comment), and then you got defensive because you thought he wasn't giving you the right to speculate. That's why I'm saying... it's just a misunderstanding.
Old 2006-07-04, 14:40   Link #1284
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Just calm down... this whole thing is a misunderstanding. It looks like the translator assumed that you may have jumped to a conclusion due to his translation being unclear, so was trying to clarify that "they never said that", which you actually knew all along, but Kinny didn't realize that. Of course, in the novel, they never said or implied that the two are related, but it's possible that statement could prove to be ironic in the end (which is what you were saying). So, of course you can speculate... Kinny got defensive because he thought you were drawing conclusions based on a misinterpreted translation (and misattributed the "conspiracy" comment), and then you got defensive because you thought he wasn't giving you the right to speculate. That's why I'm saying... it's just a misunderstanding.
oooh you're quite the diplomat people like me have probably caused wars in the past..rofl while people like you have probably stopped or prevented them
Old 2006-07-04, 15:14   Link #1285
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Haruhi is really gunning for first on ANN @_@. Get out the vote for SOS Brigade. Dead heat on weighted and very close on Baysian
Major Kerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 15:49   Link #1286
ApathyEcstasy

i've never understood how to go about giving a user rating on ANN =_=
Old 2006-07-04, 16:25   Link #1287
Major Kerina

it's a little thing off to the side on each anime's page. I don't think you have to register but you might.
Old 2006-07-04, 16:32   Link #1288
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kerina
it's a little thing off to the side on each anime's page. I don't think you have to register but you might.
i've been registered there for years..just never figured out how to give ratings
Old 2006-07-04, 16:35   Link #1289
Major Kerina

under "MY ANIME" on the far right top.
Old 2006-07-04, 16:44   Link #1290
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
oooh you're quite the diplomat people like me have probably caused wars in the past..rofl while people like you have probably stopped or prevented them
relentlessflame, thanks for defending my remark, but I must say there was no need for me to get defensive. I merely stated that there was a misinterpretation of my translation. It was ApathyEcstasy that went into an outburst upon you trying to jump to my supposed defence. But still thanks for helping.

ApathyEcstasy, if my remarks had upset you to make such an unprovoked rebuttal, then I apologize, and forgive you for your unintentional outburst. (Watching the second half plus extra time of the Germany vs Italy match helped me cool down as well. )

Anyway, I do know what sarcasm is and having read 6 volumes, I'm pretty sure a "literature amateur" like me can tell where Kyon intends to have sarcasm. So in this aspect, IMHO, I believe Kyon wasn't interested in his sister.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 16:45   Link #1291
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Haruhi is really gunning for first on ANN @_@. Get out the vote for SOS Brigade. Dead heat on weighted and very close on Baysian
It's amazing that we actually going to have an anime series to take the #1 spot, and it's not a shounen action series (or even based on an shounen action manga).

Now this series needs to do is get licensed and do the impossible like getting it broadcasted in Adult Swim!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 17:06   Link #1292
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
relentlessflame, thanks for defending my remark, but I must say there was no need for me to get defensive. I merely stated that there was a misinterpretation of my translation. It was ApathyEcstasy that went into an outburst upon you trying to jump to my supposed defence. But still thanks for helping.

ApathyEcstasy, if my remarks had upset you to make such an unprovoked rebuttal, then I apologize, and forgive you for your unintentional outburst. (Watching the second half plus extra time of the Germany vs Italy match helped me cool down as well. )

Anyway, I do know what sarcasm is and having read 6 volumes, I'm pretty sure a "literature amateur" like me can tell where Kyon intends to have sarcasm. So in this aspect, IMHO, I believe Kyon wasn't interested in his sister.
lol You keep misunderstanding ApathyEcstasy. He's not talking about Kyon being sarcastic. ApathyEcstasy's talking about the autor using a literary device (in this case "irony") in order to foreshadow something (in this case, that Mikuru might be Kyon's sister). In fact, to use irony on this scene one would need Kyon to be totally serious. It wouldn't work otherwise.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2006-07-04 at 17:18.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 17:47   Link #1293
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle

i wasn't saying that kyon was being sarcastic..i was saying that the line may eventually turn out to be highly ironic by the end of the novel (if we were to find out that mikuru is actually his sister from the future...then his whole statement about not wanting to see his sister on video but that if it was mikuru, then it would be fine..would be highly ironic)...and the very idea that the line might turn out to be highly ironic is what makes me think that the author will USE this line in order for people who think between the lines, to suspect something that hasn't been spelled out conclusively yet (even if most people read it through without paying much attention to it) a little incoherent there but i hope you get what i mean

edit: also, the reason i think that the author used this line as a remote-controlled mine that'll later by detonated near the end of his series of novels is because published authors have the tendency to do things like this...say something earlier on in the novel that one would read without giving much thought to...and then at the end reveal that the line has much more significance or contains much more irony that one would realize when first reaching that line
Old 2006-07-04, 17:49   Link #1294
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun
lol You keep misunderstanding ApathyEcstasy. He's not talking about Kyon being sarcastic. ApathyEcstasy's talking about the autor using a literary device (in this case "irony") in order to foreshadow something (in this case, that Mikuru might be Kyon's sister). In fact, to use irony on this scene one would need Kyon to be totally serious. It wouldn't work otherwise.
That's exactly what I'm saying! Thank Haruhi, somebody finally understands.

and w00t..voted masterpiece by me
Old 2006-07-05, 14:24   Link #1295
Major Kerina

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...=best_bayesian

And Haruhi is victorious! *flashes and pretty pose* *the sound of one grade-school girl clapping*

Next goal! Pester KyoAni to make 2nd season and get Haruhi licensed with the best quality presentation and treatment the anime licensing world has to offer. Only the best for the Goddess.
Old 2006-07-05, 15:10   Link #1296
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Hurray for Haruhi Damn, she kicked butt pretty bad, now we need 2000 more viewers and similar ratings to be ok with the number
Old 2006-07-05, 15:48   Link #1297
diopter

Quote:
Next goal! Pester KyoAni to make 2nd season and get Haruhi licensed with the best quality presentation and treatment the anime licensing world has to offer. Only the best for the Goddess.
The idea of some company licensing Haruhi is never bad, although I have to admit the idea makes me cringe because who is going to do the voice of Mikuru, especially the movie episode with the singing intro. I hope the voices don't get slaughtered .
diopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 15:53   Link #1298
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

There's no way they'll be able to get a decent VA for Mikuru... Unless they go for the usual granny that does high-pitched voices.
Old 2006-07-05, 18:20   Link #1299
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diopter
The idea of some company licensing Haruhi is never bad, although I have to admit the idea makes me cringe because who is going to do the voice of Mikuru, especially the movie episode with the singing intro. I hope the voices don't get slaughtered .
Well, of course, this is why (on R1 DVDs) you can just switch to Japanese audio with subtitles if you find the dub offensive. It's not as if they force it on you...
Old 2006-07-05, 19:22   Link #1300
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I'm also worried about the dub. While Hirano Aya's performance will be practically impossible to match, I'm sure a capable VA could still do a good job.
Like everyone else, I'm really worried about Mikuru. The voice and those adorable little noises she makes add a lot to her character. I really don't want a repeat of Chiyo-chan
Everyone else's character can probably be matched in English. Kyon's I'll especially be looking forward to, as sarcasm comes across quite a bit better in English than in Japanese.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen