AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-09, 18:52   Link #1101
NejinOniwa

Send a message via MSN to NejinOniwa
Someone thought when someone said "a katana instead of a knife" that they meant the Asakura scene, apparently.
Which, I might add, has already been discussed at length before, with a conclusion that I'm pretty sure of was to follow the artists' lead with the short sword.

What to use in Remote Island Syndrome, however, is the issue here, if I'm not wrong.
NejinOniwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 18:57   Link #1102
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NejinOniwa View Post
Someone thought when someone said "a katana instead of a knife" that they meant the Asakura scene, apparently.
Which, I might add, has already been discussed at length before, with a conclusion that I'm pretty sure of was to follow the artists' lead with the short sword.

What to use in Remote Island Syndrome, however, is the issue here, if I'm not wrong.
What's wrong with using another knife in Lone Island syndrome?

Of course the agency might consider Haruki's more GARish attitude, and may decide to make it a gun killing. If that's the case, this would probably be the murder weapon.

Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 19:02   Link #1103
NejinOniwa

Send a message via MSN to NejinOniwa
Also, as mentioned earlier the issue of order is clearly quite big - I think it's easier if we stay focused on Vol. 1 for now instead of drifting off onto other novels, no?

Also, regarding ponytails, I'd say we keep it as it is. As shown in THIS post below, there seems to be some people thinking that long-haired Haruki in the beginning is a good idea, and I'm starting to think that way as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangowr View Post
Spoiler for Tidiness:
And of course, the ponytail fetish is an essential part of Kyon, regardless of gender. -w-

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
What's wrong with using another knife in Lone Island syndrome?

Of course the agency might consider Haruki's more GARish attitude, and may decide to make it a gun killing. If that's the case, this would probably be the murder weapon.

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/455...6588862_fs.jpg

I didn't say anything about my opinions on this, I just reminded you that you'd drifted off-topic. -.-
Anyway. We have to consider the suspect and the victim, here. I think it'd be best to either use the same knife as in the original, OR: Here's an idea - use some decorative short sword thing and let Kyon-ko have freaky flashbacks to Asakura's assaulting her. Now THAT's impact. _W_
NejinOniwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 19:14   Link #1104
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Also, as mentioned earlier the issue of order is clearly quite big - I think it's easier if we stay focused on Vol. 1 for now instead of drifting off onto other novels, no?

Also, regarding ponytails, I'd say we keep it as it is. As shown in THIS post below, there seems to be some people thinking that long-haired Haruki in the beginning is a good idea, and I'm starting to think that way as well.

And of course, the ponytail fetish is an essential part of Kyon, regardless of gender. -w-
That hair isn't long enough for a ponytail.

The fetish does not translate well to girl-Kyon, if you ask me. I can't imagine her having a fetish for guys with ponytails. Long hair, rockstar/princely hair, maybe, but...

Quote:
A thing we need to consider about using a Katana over a knife, is that Asakura wouldn't be able to conceal it without using his abilities before attacking Kyonko.

We'd have to have Asakura immediately attack Kyonko when she comes in, or have him use Data manipulation to hide the knife. The 1st option causes us to lose characterization, and the 2nd one doesn't properly build up to the unveiling of Asakura's powers.

Really, Asakura isn't the same without a good old combat knife.
If you've seen the doujin, you'll know it's not a katana, it's a wakizashi (or something similar), which is smaller.

He could easily conceal it in a sheath under his blazer.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 19:16   Link #1105
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:

Male ponytails can be attractive. So, Kyon-chan can still have the ponytail fetish.... when it's on man

Quote:
Here's an idea - use some decorative short sword thing and let Kyon-ko have freaky flashbacks to Asakura's assaulting her. Now THAT's impact. _W_
Impact.... you win, mate.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 19:20   Link #1106
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I didn't say anything about my opinions on this, I just reminded you that you'd drifted off-topic. -.-
Anyway. We have to consider the suspect and the victim, here. I think it'd be best to either use the same knife as in the original, OR: Here's an idea - use some decorative short sword thing and let Kyon-ko have freaky flashbacks to Asakura's assaulting her. Now THAT's impact. _W_
I suppose I'm more conservative in that regard. I don't think things should deviate from the original novel unless they are explicitly related to the main departure theme of the work in question (I.E. the Genderbent).

I just have a hard time seeing how some characters using swords is related to the Gender switch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If you've seen the doujin, you'll know it's not a katana, it's a wakizashi (or something similar), which is smaller.

He could easily conceal it in a sheath under his blazer.
I just looked at the doujinshi, and the sword in question looks way to long to be a Wakizashi

Spoiler for image:

The blade itself looks way over a foot, and once you get something that size, being able to hide it in a manner that would still allow you to whip it out very quickly seems impossible.

Although it could be written that he only uses a 12 inch Wakizashi, a knife like that isn't exactly very concealable compared to the a 6 inch combat knife.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2008-03-09 at 19:31.
Old 2008-03-09, 19:23   Link #1107
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Question.

If Kyon was turned on by ponytails in the canonverse... does this also hold true for Kyonko as well? Or do we need to come up with a different fetish for her? A love of mullets? Hairbands?

Hmm...
Quote:
That hair isn't long enough for a ponytail.

The fetish does not translate well to girl-Kyon, if you ask me. I can't imagine her having a fetish for guys with ponytails. Long hair, rockstar/princely hair, maybe, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Male ponytails can be attractive. So, Kyon-chan can still have the ponytail fetish.... when it's on man
Well...there's still the other kind of "ponytail" (I don't know that name of the hairstyle )
Where the hair is tied at neck level like, for example, Sol Badguy of Guilty Gear, but much shorter
Old 2008-03-09, 19:23   Link #1108
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I suppose I'm more conservative in that regard. I don't think things should deviate from the original novel unless they are explicitly related to the main departure theme of the work in question (I.E. the Genderbent).

I just have a hard time seeing how some characters using swords is related to the Gender switch...
More awesome?

I personally realize that pretty much everything after Vol.1 will have to be changed drastically. Especially Vol.7.

So I don't think changing the story is a bad idea.
Old 2008-03-09, 19:26   Link #1109
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Well...there's still the other kind of "ponytail" (I don't know that name of the hairstyle )
Where the hair is tied at neck level like, for example, Sol Badguy of Guilty Gear, but much shorter
Yes, I was talking about that hairstyle.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 19:27   Link #1110
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Haruki should totally start out with HAIR SPIKES. It'd be absurd but hilarious. He'd be Saiyan by the end of the week.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 19:29   Link #1111
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Haruki should totally start out with HAIR SPIKES. It'd be absurd but hilarious. He'd be Saiyan by the end of the week.
Have you read my chapter edits yet? That's what I had him do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Yes, I was talking about that hairstyle.
That could work, but, as before, he doesn't have enough hair, long or not, to pull off the absurd hairstyles Haruhi does.
Old 2008-03-09, 19:31   Link #1112
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Hmm if the scene is using a small knife I might have to add "Not this again, not another knife!" to the intro lol.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 19:35   Link #1113
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
More awesome?

I personally realize that pretty much everything after Vol.1 will have to be changed drastically. Especially Vol.7.

So I don't think changing the story is a bad idea.
Definitely agree. That's one of the interesting things about writing AU, is seeing how the deviation changes the overall work. I'm just of the opinion that any mods and improvements should be directly related to the major alternation. (Then again, maybe it's because I think combat knives are cooler than Japanese short swords )

But really, I'm not really contributing to this other than shooting my mouth off. The people who are actually doing work should do whatever they feel is better.
Old 2008-03-09, 19:46   Link #1114
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

huh well stumbled in here out of sheer curiosity, and was sold at the pics on the first page

genderbender is a subjest I don't tend to think about too much, but seeing whats been going on here......kinda changed everything I think about it now

and now it seems Kyonko is the only thing to think about atm

think I should go take a cold shower to cool down and collect myself....
Old 2008-03-09, 19:46   Link #1115
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

We'll hit 20,000 posts eventually. Looking at this it'll only take another month or two!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

Finished part One

Spoiler for Remote Island Syndrome Part One:

Credit To Risa-chan!

Last edited by ClockWorkAngel; 2008-03-11 at 14:46.
Old 2008-03-09, 20:06   Link #1116
shaoron
AQS representative

Quote:

I just looked at the doujinshi, and the sword in question looks way to long to be a Wakizashi

The blade itself looks way over a foot, and once you get something that size, being able to hide it in a manner that would still allow you to whip it out very quickly seems impossible.

Although it could be written that he only uses a 12 inch Wakizashi, a knife like that isn't exactly very concealable compared to the a 6 inch combat knife.

if i'm not mistaken, asakura ryoko materializes the knife...
so why can't ryou-kun materialize the wakizashi as well?
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 20:11   Link #1117
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoron View Post
if i'm not mistaken, asakura ryoko materializes the knife...
so why can't ryou-kun materialize the wakizashi as well?
If that's the case, I suppose it's all just preference to what people think should be used.
Old 2008-03-09, 20:13   Link #1118
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

I doubt it really matter too much. The weapon itself has no real significance, its the intent its being used for,

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2008-03-09, 20:20   Link #1119
dreamoflife
SIDE

Send a message via AIM to dreamoflife
Looking at a lot of the fanart done, Haruki's hair looks pretty layered-- I'm sure he could at least attempt to do a ponytail with the longer layers, even though it would end up looking pretty silly and not much like a ponytail. Probably end up looking something like Ryou's hair only not as cool. But it's the intent that matters, right?
dreamoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 20:22   Link #1120
shaoron
AQS representative

oh yeah... for lone island syndrome i just have to ask...

are we going to use the novel's version or the anime's version?

personally, if possible, i'd like to use the anime's version.
the way the novel did was a bit anti-climatic with kyon revealing what really happened and then they just go home.
in the anime, kyon "attempts" to kill itsuki, then going to mutilate the DB which in turn showed us that the DB ain't so dead...

and of course, there's the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney spoof...
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan