Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-01, 01:07   Link #61
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Where's the cat $hit though? I just see bunnies and camels I think...
Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The original manga was taking place in Vietnam War, and the Vietnamese were portrayed as cats. Hence the title.
==================

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Interesting name and trailer. It really feels like Metal Gear in a way.
That's exactly what I thought. The moment they showed the soldiers in the back of the van, I thought it was going to be EXACTLY like MGS4 opening(which it actually was, minus the MGs).
As Solid Snake said: Sensou kawatta... ("War has changed...")

As for all the griping about certain choices of furries for certain nationalities, it's probably inevitable. Someone is bound to take offence, whether or not it was actually intended.

For my part, the five-second scene where one camel shoots dead a fleeing rabbit hit me harder than I expected. From what I've read, the creators wanted to make a point. We've become so desensitised to scenes of brutality and warfare between humans -- in our news, in TV programmes and movies -- that they no longer affect us as much they should.

Watching a cute bunny die in a cruel way brings home that point -- again -- more than all the masochism in 300, or the self-important philosophising of Watchmen could.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 01:09   Link #62
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Futa has our thanks.

By the way, I'm hurt that there is no anthormorphic correspondence to cows. Then again, I'm relieved that cows aren't holding guns on their hooves and firing at other animal. Cows are the cutest thing that walk on four legs according to my humble opinion. Guns won't suit them. Oh, how such pure eyes they have.

That reminds me... time for dinner. *delicious*
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 01:11   Link #63
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Because the American published named Apocalypse Meow is also a cat reference, it doesn't resolve the title issue.
I hereby announce my solution.

Black Hare Down.

Old 2009-04-01, 01:16   Link #64
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Because the American published named Apocalypse Meow is also a cat reference, it doesn't resolve the title issue.

Black Hare Down
LOL! That's brilliant.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 02:01   Link #65
amrul

THe trailer is so funny even though the content is not humor. It's hard to imagine cute rabbits doing things like that, hahaha....

I'm really looking forward for the anime
amrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 02:20   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Black Hare Down.

Ooooooh, I like that one..... friend of mine called this "Watership Down with tech"....
Old 2009-04-01, 08:59   Link #67
Kitsu
The unlucky one

This looks awesome..normally I don't like war movies (I only play a few games *whistle*). But I'm still a bit confused
Quote:
American > Rabbits
Vietnamese > Cats
French > Pigs
Chinese > Panda Bears
Japanese > Apes
Russian > Bears
Korean > Dogs
British > Rats
Australian > Kangaroos or Koala Bears
German > Foxes
Arabians > Camels or Sheeps
Why are the German foxes, the French pigs and the British rats? I'm totally fine with that, it's just that I don't understand
Kitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 17:55   Link #68
LeoXiao
思想工作

Germans are foxes because foxes are badass and cool, French are pigs because... idunno, they eat a lot of pork or something, and brits are rats because most of them were treated as such in their home country until the 1800s, living in dirty, disease-infested cities full of pollution. I just made all of these up in like a second.

Last edited by LeoXiao; 2014-01-13 at 11:42.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 20:52   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"Desert Rats" .... a Brit term for their desert forces in North Africa.

I'd have probably picked wolves for Germans but both are woodland animals common to Germany prior to them cutting down most of their forests....
Old 2009-04-01, 21:14   Link #70
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Futa has our thanks.

By the way, I'm hurt that there is no anthormorphic correspondence to cows. Then again, I'm relieved that cows aren't holding guns on their hooves and firing at other animal. Cows are the cutest thing that walk on four legs according to my humble opinion. Guns won't suit them. Oh, how such pure eyes they have.

That reminds me... time for dinner. *delicious*
I would like to contest. They are quite revolutionary.

Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 05:35   Link #71
M.Marangio

About russian bears and japanese apes:

There is a war propaganda anime from 1934, "Sankichi the Monkey: Schock Troops". Sadly, the original musical score is lost.

M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 21:34   Link #72
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

Black Hare Down.

Total win and deserving of cookies.

Trailer looked awesome. Reminded me of a Blizzard forum, where the members made up a story(collaborating together over several months), depicting how they would steal the game Starcraft, which they accused(in the story) Blizzard of already finishing, but not releasing to the public. There were rabbits with carrot RPG's involved, maids with CD launchers, game techs with caffeine in packs strapped to their backs, etc, etc. I saved all of it 11+ years ago, and occasionally read through some of it for laughs. This trailer totally reminded me of it.
Old 2009-06-01, 12:57   Link #73
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

The trailer for this was ranked as numer 3 on this video for "7 clips of crazy foreigners doing God knows what". Funny stuff actually.
http://www.cracked.com/video_17418_7...v-moments.html
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 20:45   Link #74
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
The trailer for this was ranked as numer 3 on this video for "7 clips of crazy foreigners doing God knows what". Funny stuff actually.
http://www.cracked.com/video_17418_7...v-moments.html
I suppose any advertising is good advertising in the end.
Old 2009-06-01, 23:06   Link #75
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
This looks awesome..normally I don't like war movies (I only play a few games *whistle*). But I'm still a bit confused

Why are the German foxes, the French pigs and the British rats? I'm totally fine with that, it's just that I don't understand
As stated before, the British being represented by rats is most likely a reference to the North African campaign of WWII. Going by that reasoning, I'd say that the fox is an homage to Erwin Rommel, one of the greatest military strategists of all time. Say what you will, but Rommel would have kicked the shit out of the Allied forces if a) Hitler wasn't a crazy old man and b) Rommel didn't run out of supplies.

As for the French . . . many people blame the problems that South-East Asia faced following WWII on French and Japanese Imperialism. Since the author clearly seems to favor Japan regardless of his depiction of a certain, single character who'd be better off as a POG, the only nationality to depict as the imperialist pigs would be France.

As for the whole Koreans = dogs thing, I don't think it's all that bad. As a Korean American, I don't really take offense to it. Then again, I really don't give a shit about my Korean heritage, so that might have something to do with it too. That being said, I'm still pretty sure that Korea's representation is an obvious snuff towards Korea. Dogs don't really represent Korea at all, except for the whole dog eating thing. Korea has always been identified by the rabbit (already taken) and the tiger. Hell, one of the RoK Marine Corps units sent into Vietnam was called the Yellow Tiger Division (I may be wrong about the color). The only way I could see dogs fitting in is the fact that RoK Marines were brutally efficient at"sniffing out" VC and non-uniformed NVA hiding within the civilian population, but that's a far stretch. I'm pretty sure it's just the whole Japan and Korean being butt-hurt deal.
Old 2009-06-02, 07:19   Link #76
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
As stated before, the British being represented by rats is most likely a reference to the North African campaign of WWII. Going by that reasoning, I'd say that the fox is an homage to Erwin Rommel, one of the greatest military strategists of all time. Say what you will, but Rommel would have kicked the shit out of the Allied forces if a) Hitler wasn't a crazy old man and b) Rommel didn't run out of supplies.
It's definetly homage to Rommel the desert fox.
Old 2009-08-28, 08:39   Link #77
CPOK
Gun Bunny

Any updates on Cat Sh*t One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
It's definetly homage to Rommel the desert fox.

Off topic, but my grandfather actually met the desert fox when he was captured in Africa. Rommel actually gave him cigarette.
CPOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 21:00   Link #78
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Wasn't this show supposed to release in November? I was looking forward to some bunny on camel action^^...
Old 2009-11-25, 22:13   Link #79
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Do we give this anime the blue ribbon for "Most Unusually-Named Anime Created?"

I have to say yes. This tops I My Me Strawberry Eggs and Pumpkin Scissors. Easily.
Old 2009-11-26, 10:22   Link #80
Renchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Wasn't this show supposed to release in November? I was looking forward to some bunny on camel action^^...
The trailer actually said spring 2010.
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, animals