AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 30 38.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 19.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-27, 08:33   Link #41
ookamigirl

The announcement thing.
I'm still amazed how they managed to complicate the hell out of it.
Speculating and guessing means nothing unless you can prove it.
Well, Oreki is always lucky enough to guess things correctly in the first try.
He and Chitanda sure had some interesting theories though.
Wonder if he'll be successful this time as well?
Looks like he did it again, just amazing!
Their awkward romantic moment was nice ^^ shame it was so short..

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-08-27, 10:42   Link #42
j4c06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It is even more likely people would use that within smaller scale, such like between individuals.
At the very least not those that can point right back at you.
Old 2012-08-27, 11:32   Link #43
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

My shipping goggles broke whilst watching this episode.
Old 2012-08-27, 12:13   Link #44
Qilin
Romanticist

It looks like we're in for a series of light episodes revolving around Houtarou and Eru. Not that I mind since the material we've had has been quite superb thus far. There's just something really soothing about these last two episodes. If there's anything that this show proves time and time again, it's that the mysteries themselves are just secondary to the process of solving them. This show is all about immersing yourself in the journey as the truth naturally unravels on its own.

As for specifics, it was Eru, surprisingly, that caught my attention this episode. Not only did she gain a few new facial expressions, she seemed especially perceptive during this episode. Maybe that had something to do with Satoshi and Mayaka no being there to steal the spotlight. On the other hand, she still lacks any sort of respect for other people's personal space... though that might just be for Houtarou's case.
Old 2012-08-27, 12:29   Link #45
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have not seen an episode carried by nothing more than conversation so elegantly and well crafted since Spice and Wolf and Tatami Galaxy. Okay maybe the level of verbal exchange wasn't as high as Horo and Lawrence, but as the episodes go by Chitanda has become more and more capable of carrying a proper conversation with the usually evasive and sometimes cryptic Oreki. In this episode she's not just relegated to her usual kini narimasu outburst and manages to hold on to talking to him, so much so that Oreki actually WANTS to talk to her rather than his usual desire to just finish talking and go on with his life.

And what was striking in said conversation was that Chitanda wasn't just the kini narimasu initiator of the mystery but an active thinker. Most of the time she actually doesn't seem to be very active in solving it as much as the others, but now she shows to be a highly capable thinker able to corroborate and/or counter Oreki's theories. Oreki even agrees with a lot of them and doesn't treat her with that bothersome feeling he sometimes has. Like I said, it may be a purely hypothetical game to him, but he's clearly enjoying his... uh... solo time with her.

And my favorite part is the final conversation for those two that afternoon. They've come a long way sure from just one sentence from the announcement, and they no longer remember what they were setting out to prove as they got lost in their discussion. It's actually pretty symbolic of their own relationship. From one conversation and one kini narimasu in the club room the red string of fate has pretty much wound them together and has brought them so far in so little time. At the same time, well, I doubt either of them can clearly remember all the little details of their first encounter and what exactly did they seek to prove that day she flashed her eyes at him for the first time.

But Chitanda points out, let them just make another theory along the way if they don't remember. In the end that's really what's important here. It's not so much what you try to reach but what you experience along the way. That shows both in this delightful exchange as it is very much representative of their own growing relationship.

Now someone please by me new ship goggles as mine just disintegrated. Favorite episode of the show to date.
Old 2012-08-27, 13:08   Link #46
garbage

just wow ^^
Old 2012-08-27, 14:31   Link #47
Senshigeia

Good fan service, but it wasn't one of my favorite Hyouka episodes... the mystery didn't flow and sometimes it seemed to me it was forced. Anyway, nice Houtarou x Chitanda tension! Good to see they are getting closer and closer.

8/10

Sig credit to Bila / Avatar credit to SweetHoney

Check out my anime and manga lists!
Old 2012-08-27, 18:23   Link #48
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Once again, my Agatha Christie fanboy-ness makes me giddy. This episode reminded me a lot of the novel The Clocks, which is notable for being the mystery where Hercule Poirot solves the case without ever having visited the scene of the crime or interviewed any of the suspects. He does it all simply by being given the facts and clues and using his little grey cells from the comfort of his armchair, similar to how Oreki and Chitanda solve the case while still in the clubroom.

I haven't been this excited for a couple in anime in who knows how long (Clannad? I dunno), so I can't wait to see what the two have planned for their next date.
Old 2012-08-27, 21:34   Link #49
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Such an adorable episode XD I too did not expect those faces from Chitanda was too cute!
Really enjoyed this episode quite a bit Look forward to the Ne Years episode

Off note I think Kyoani could make a brilliant horror/thriller anime. Noticing some the the transition scenes they used would be quite fitting!

As for counterfeit money many places here won't except 100 US bills. It is because of the high counterfeiting going on with that bill. I wonder if the US going to change the bills soon? Over here, we recently have done so for our 100's and 50's and did so before that not too long ago with all our bills.
Old 2012-08-27, 22:54   Link #50
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Once again, my Agatha Christie fanboy-ness makes me giddy. This episode reminded me a lot of the novel The Clocks, which is notable for being the mystery where Hercule Poirot solves the case without ever having visited the scene of the crime or interviewed any of the suspects. He does it all simply by being given the facts and clues and using his little grey cells from the comfort of his armchair, similar to how Oreki and Chitanda solve the case while still in the clubroom.
I'm not familiar with Agatha Christie but by the episode I was thinking that Oreki seemed to be turning into Sherlock Holmes with his ability to deduce a rather complete picture from the smallest of details. And I guess he and Chitanda should never speak of this to Satoshi, the poor guy is already jealous enough and really doesn't need to be reminded of Oreki's talent for extrapolation even more.
Old 2012-08-27, 23:21   Link #51
king12354

Well normally I won't buy that Oreki's theory is correct. Although his theory includes someone who counterfeits the money doesn't mean his theory is right. If there are counterfeit bills circulating around as noted by the paper in the beginning of the episode, obviously someone is making them. Whether that kid who shopped at the store used it to purchase something then later regretted it is an entirely different story and I don't see it being implied that incident occurred.

Although I realize this is fiction and whatever the writer wants to do, I can't stop him or her.
Old 2012-08-27, 23:55   Link #52
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
As for counterfeit money many places here won't except 100 US bills. It is because of the high counterfeiting going on with that bill. I wonder if the US going to change the bills soon? Over here, we recently have done so for our 100's and 50's and did so before that not too long ago with all our bills.
I couldn't imagine using a $100 bill for anything. (I think that $50 is the largest bill that can be used where I live.) I'd worry about being robbed with it on my person. Just use the ATM or charge card if purchases are that expensive.
Old 2012-08-28, 04:33   Link #53
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

The UST in this episode was as thick as maple syrup, and just as sweet I didn't think we could top that last episode in terms of Chitanda x Oreki moments, but I'm glad I was wrong.

It is frightening how Houtarou can come up with all that based on just the manner the announcement was made and with only second-hand information. And Chitanda is the most animated and active in the deductions I've seen her in any episode ever, which made the entire exchange a lot more satisfying.

I could watch entire seasons of just Chitanda and Oreki by themselves solving cases, with doses of teasing here and there

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-08-28, 07:49   Link #54
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

The most votes were for "10 Perfect" ehh....

Such a nice chapter, I liked th whole plot about Houtarou and Chitanda alone in the Prep. Room.
Old 2012-08-28, 13:13   Link #55
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

What an excuse for an episode (not that I'm against it). I'm sure KyoAni just wants to ship Chitanda and Houtarou more with the lost time they have on the Cultural Festival arc. It looks like the next episode goes even further on this wtih Chitanda in a YUKATA !!!!!!(I don't see Mayaka or Satoshi at all in the preview).
Old 2012-08-28, 14:17   Link #56
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
It looks like the next episode goes even further on this wtih Chitanda in a YUKATA !!!!!!(I don't see Mayaka or Satoshi at all in the preview).
They had focused too much attention on them during the cultural festival arc so Kyoani decided to put them on a bus. ;P

Last edited by Blaat; 2012-08-29 at 03:52.
Old 2012-08-29, 02:30   Link #57
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Those two should kiss already
Old 2012-08-29, 04:43   Link #58
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Those two should kiss already
+1 to this
and I can't wait to see Chitanda in Yukata....
next episode preview is so interesting.... looks like they will not only date in festival but ended up in some random places too
Old 2012-08-29, 04:56   Link #59
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Anyone think that the final shot shows Chitanda peeping at something possibly explicit and becoming... curious?
Old 2012-08-29, 07:43   Link #60
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

That was some amazing deduction ability he has, and while there was a 99% chance that it could be wrong, the fact that Houtarou got them right is just... =.="