AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-01-15, 01:21   Link #81
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Many series other people have picked are favorites and many are great shows but these series really deserve all the love I can give them...

1. (and definitely my favorite) Tenshi ni Narumon! It's got interesting visual style, gorgeous and improbable (and lovable) characters (Silky-sama!), lush music and the wackiest mecha ever (including a flying machine that runs on, erm, methane- it's important to eat lots of beans and stuff before flying it...). The story is MUCH darker and sadder than many people would think if they haven't seen the whole series; I found it cathartic.

2. Akihabara Dennou Gumi is a parody of magical girls anime with excellent characterization, solid SF and some conspiracy theory tossed into the plot. It's got good visual quality (designs similar to Saber J) and the most Okui Masami music I ever heard packed into one show (the rest of the music is great too). It's recently been licensed after sitting around for like 4 years in limbo; I hope the show gets some more love when it comes out 'cause I wanna see a sub of the movie ^_^;;;

3. Chou Kuse ni Narisou is a cheapo comedy based on a Nakyoshi manga from the early 90s. It's endearingly cheezy and goofy, with noticably LOW visual quality and tacky music (you can even hear when they recycle the seiyuu at times). The main character (Nagisa) is an idol singer with a terrible voice; you get to hear her same 2 or 3 lousy songs in the show over and over again. But if it was mediocre it would suck...

The writing is tight and funny though. There are references to things like 60s spy films, student terrorism in Japan (back in the late 60s), and urban legends (there's a whole episode about what happens to pet alligators who get flushed down the toilet). There's even a show about how crappy Nagisa is at singing! And I have to mention Momoko, Nagisa's insane scene-stealing rival, who stages a bizarre street performance in every episode!

4. Oniisama E. I love the carefully crafted visual design, the heavy relationships (it's almost like there's no plot; the characters just get together and BAM!), the incredible voice acting, even the enka music, which just fits right in... Shoujo Kakumei Utena without the training wheels.

5. Shin Seiki Evangelion.

My favorite movie is Patlabor WXIII.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 19:30   Link #82
Bortix
l33t One

Series:
1. Berserk
2. GTO
3. Wolf's Rain
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Tie between - Ai Yori Aoshi and Scryed

Movies:
1. Princess Mononoke
2. Grave of the Fireflies
3. Cowboy Bebop Movie
Bortix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 02:59   Link #83
Russelwhite
GRAND MASTER EURO SENNIN

Location: Deaths House....the one with the multidimensional golf course...
Send a message via MSN to Russelwhite
Talking

Wah.... to say the least I am very impressed at how popular this thread is and how useful it has been to me. I originally posted it in an attempt to dredge up some of the old hidden gems that weren't really on the net for watching and now I have enough titles to last me well until i get my iron ring....

anyway Thank You all for your submissions I am really enjoying many of your suggestions <^.^>

Darcy White
Russelwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 04:37   Link #84
JayB
Project J-KO

My top 5 all time fave Anime would be:

1 - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Quite simply the deepest, most thought provoking show I have ever watched. I have seen about 7 times now and I absolutely love it.

2 - Naruto

An absolute pleasure to watch, brilliantly drawn, fantastic music, deep and involving plotlines, and some of the best character development I have seen.

3 - Cowboy Bebop

Cool, sharp, stylish, jazzy, hip; just not enough groovy adjectives to describe this masterpiece.

4 - Fruits Basket

Funny, sensitive, heart wrenching, beautiful. This sweet little anime is a triumph it's a shame it was only 26 episodes long.

5 - Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu

Not much can describe this, watch it for yourself and discover the magic!
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 06:16   Link #85
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

I was going to close this thread but considering some people have put some effort into discussing the topic, it fits into the General Guidelines.
Old 2004-01-29, 08:15   Link #86
sperry

Send a message via AIM to sperry
1. Nadesico- Hilarious, plain and simple. I have not seen a funnier anime, and yet, it still manages to have a really good story. The end left a bit to be desired, and I've heard the movie isn't too great, but still, it's just awesome. A must-watch, for anyone.

2. Gundam Seed/Mobile Suit Gundam- I put these two together because, well, the first half of Seed is exactly like the first half of MSG, but with new mechs and characters. Besides my love of giant robots, these two had amazing stories, not to mention really great characters.(Well, in Seed at least, I wasn't a a huge fan of MSG's) This isn't really as important, but as a side note, MSG had good music, and Seed holds my vote for best music in any anime.

3. RahXephon/Stellvia of the Universe- I can't decide which I like better. RahXephon's story is just awesome, and it's characters as well. While it's true it does borrow a lot of stuff from Eva, I find it much better. Even though you have to do some thinking in RX, it doesn't hurt your brain like Eva did.
Stellvia, what can I say about Stellvia? Well, the story is alright, nothing amazing. The mech designs were pure shit. Yet, I love it. The characters in Stellvia seem so real, and their interactions really made this show great. Not to mention that awesome opening theme.

That was already 5, but I'll just add a few more. ^^"

4. Scrapped Princess- Just really, really good. Great story and characters.

5. The 08th MS Team- The thing I loved about this series was that it was normal soldiers, not super-ace-pilot kids. The characters were so interesting, it made it great. And then there's the Gouf Custom, which rules over all MS. ^^

And that's my top 5... no, 7 list. Some other favorites:

Witch Hunter Robin
Last Exile
Gasaraki
Full Metal Panic!
Evangelion

And I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 21:56   Link #87
Russelwhite
GRAND MASTER EURO SENNIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sway
I was going to close this thread but considering some people have put some effort into discussing the topic, it fits into the General Guidelines.
That was always the intent (which is why my inital speal was so long). I appreciate that people are providing more than one liners (because without justification its like saying your favourite colour is blue...it may be true but no one else cares) and hope it continues as such. If this manages to keep going for long enough im probably going to make a poll of the top few that most frequently appeared in peoples lists...I dont think its going to be quite as successful but the results should be interesting to most.

Darcy White
Old 2004-01-29, 22:16   Link #88
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
No particular order....except for #1 .

1. Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Gore, Vampires, "pwnage" music, and a beautiful little love story. What more could I want .

2. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Hey, I watch very few anime due to the massive amount of crap that comes out of Japan(or, any other animation mass producer, for that matter.) However, this is the best(and first) soap opera that I've ever been able to withstand through its entirety.

3. Hellsing
The vampire gorefest that rekindled my interest in anime. Sure, seeing gore and guns isn't anything unoriginal, but i was tired of gundam-like shows, and Love hina left and right. That show...must burn.

4. Witch Hunter Robin
I love Witchcraft, although I often hate it in shows. This show, however, is quite the exception. The ideals and style implemented, along with the music, and mainly believeable(I hate Amon) characters. A little episodic, but no big deal. Each has its own power.

5. Violinist of Hamelin
I was about to put Blue Submarine No. 06, but I decided not to. This show at first I was about to throw away due to me thinking it was a hentai(tentacle thing in 1st ep.) Thankfully, I watched the whole thing through, and got interested in the rrest of the series. This show uses a good dosage of classical music, and a good storyline to keep me going. The names being instruments is a nice touch, too. Although, I still hate Flute, but then again, I hate any big eyed girl(or guys sometimes, usually girls because they also have that painfully high voice) in anime.

(6)I thought of putting Chobits for comedy, but I never watched past....ep 06 I believe. Once it tried giving it a story I dropped the show. Note: If you want to flame and/or argue with me, please don't post here, and simply PM me. That way, you can insult me till the cows come home, and mods won't even care .
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 22:30   Link #89
Yushiro Gowa

Top five series:

1) Cowboy Bebop
2) Escaflowne
3) Gasaraki

Top five movies:

1) Castle in the Sky (I just adored this)
2) Perfect Blue
3) Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (third, but only because its thematic substance was just a corroboration of the series')
Yushiro Gowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 23:19   Link #90
bassmanG

Wow, top 5 of all time. Trying to think of the top 5 is hard. I'll pick my favorites that I recommend to my friends who watch anime.
Akira - You just have to see it...
Trigun - My favorite anime overall because it's so watchable
Escaflowne - I liked the series, but not the movie (I saw the series first)
Cowboy Bebop - Well, it seems that everyone who watches anime series seems to watch Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing - I'm a fan of the vampire animes...
bassmanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 04:24   Link #91

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma
Talking

1). Neon Genesis Evangelion, I know it's overhyped, too much overhype pretty much made it have it's fans and it's anti-fans. But I love it, the connections with biblical knowledge was really intriguing. I was hooked from the first episode. I watched it when I was a little kid and still I find something different and new every time I watch it. Kaoru is one of my favorite characters of all time, besides Shikamaru. Overall, Eva will continue to be a favorite of otaku.
2). I'm gonna say FLCL, it was just so raw and crazy that you can't stop wanting more. I saw it the first time on 'Adult Swim' on Cartoon Network. One of the only 'good' dubs besides Bebops. To top it off 'The Pillows' are one of the greatest bands I've heard. Just a powerhouse of story, plot (that's debatable ) and great music.
3). Naruto, I know it's a bit high for a series in it's prime, but I think it will continue on being great. The character development could be much better, but the characters are much deeper than they seem. The action is a plus, but I'm not really a fan of action. I really love this series because it has so many twists and turns. You know Naruto will win his battles, and Sakura will continue to like Sasuke, but at the same time things change and appear. There's always something new, and a lot of series don't do that.
4). Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoy shoujo more than shonen styles, but Kimi really takes the cake for my choice in shoujo. The cahracters are frustrating because you get so attached and so involved that they seem every bit as real as your best friend. It's slow, but paced enough to want you to keep watching. I think if you don't shed a tear in this, you have no heart.....
5). .hack//SIGN I know that most people hate it or love it, and I love it. It is slow but the story is really inticing, so I'm willing to sit and watch it. Any show about a game really has to have substance, and in my opinion this really does.

One Piece is a series I have just gotten into so I'm not going to judge it yet, but it seems like it has the full potential to become great.
Favorite OST, FLCL, and End of Evangelion.
Favorite Movie, Samurai x -Trust and Betrayal, End of Evangelion, My Neighbor Totoro.

Old 2004-01-30, 08:25   Link #92
Evan
天使我爱你

Actually every animations have its own unique and its wonderful to have animation
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 18:52   Link #93
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

1. Saint Seiya. (It has everything a master piece needs to have, music, graphics, story, drama, deepnees, character develpment, inspiration and imagination)

2. Berserk. (Pure poetry, simply shoking. It is like watching Brave Heart in japanese version)

3. Future Boy Conan. (Addicting and amusing, all 25 episodes are good)

4. Rose of Versailles. (Best drama ever)

5. Naruto or Hunter x Hunter which is better of these two guys?. (Originalily, lots of jokes, interesting battles, good character development, exelent story)

But this is not just... only 5? what about GTO, Candy Candy, DBZ, Lain, Ijame no ippo, Scrapped Princess, Kimiga Nosumo Eien, Hikaru no go, full metal panic and Ranma 1/2.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-01-30 at 19:26.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 22:12   Link #94
Bakafool
The Green Beast of Konoha

In no particular order:

Macross
Grave of the Fireflies
Evangelion
Ranma 1/2
Astroboy
Bakafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 22:20   Link #95
Russelwhite
GRAND MASTER EURO SENNIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma
1). Neon Genesis Evangelion, I know it's overhyped, too much overhype pretty much made it have it's fans and it's anti-fans. But I love it, the connections with biblical knowledge was really intriguing. I was hooked from the first episode. I watched it when I was a little kid and still I find something different and new every time I watch it. Kaoru is one of my favorite characters of all time, besides Shikamaru. Overall, Eva will continue to be a favorite of otaku.

I thought it was halarious they didnt get any of the biblical references right (the one about the dead sea scrolls was particularly funny).

Darcy White
Old 2004-01-30, 23:32   Link #96
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Azumanga Daioh
Easily my favorite anime. One of the few anime that i can watch from beginning to end over and over again; more suprisingly, one of the few anime i can watch from any episode and still find it entertaining. Its got drama, comedy, and a little bit of seriousness. Its also got Sakaki-San ^^
30!! 31%!! 47%!! TOGETHER 103%!! TEAM BONKLERS WIN!!!

Cowboy Bebop
The Real Folk Blues. nuff said.

Shingetsuten Tsukihime
The music hooked me. IMO, the best opening to any anime.. ever. The plot wasn't bad, either.

FLCL
Amazing artwork.. great story telling.. again, the music was amazing! I loved every facet of this anime, it always surprises me how much story there is in only 6 episodes..

Niea_7
A down-to-earth dramady about a college student.. and her alien roomate. Really quirky.. sometimes a little over the top, but never a dull moment. The music is absolutely delightful ^^

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 01:15   Link #97
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien...I think if you don't shed a tear in this, you have no heart.....
I disagree with this. I saw KGNE, and I didn't shed one tear. Am I heartless? I doubt it, because I apparently I still feel emotions.

Here's my top 5, in no apparent order:
Lain - I like this anime's ambiguous story. Immersive and moody atmosphere. Also a great anime to get tripped up to when smoking pot. Toke a joint while watching Lain = WHOA DUDE...

Tenshi na Konamaiki - I think this is what high school comedy should be all about. It's got jokes about everything a teenager would care about: gender jokes, fighting jokes, jokes about stereotype students...etc. Thoroughly entertaining.

Scrapped Princess - This is a damn good show. High quality animation, attractive character designs, great voice acting, a hooking, albeit derivative, story is enough to convince me for two thumbs up.

Pitaten - How can I forget this little gem! Very enjoyable (and clean) show that everyone can watch. Mitarai might get on your nerves a bit, but without him, this show wouldn't be the same. It's got my favorite cat in animedom: Nyaa!

To Heart - An oldie but a goody. I never thought I liked this anime. It's extremely tranquil, laid back, serene atmosphere almost became a bore. But there's something about the relationship between Akari and Hiroyuki. I had a lot of trouble describing their relationship. It's like a childhood friend that you know so well and so familiar with that you are able to do anything with her, and she'll still be your friend. Their bond is close and strong that it's almost unbreakable. I wish I had that kind of relationship with a girl. I don't even have that kind of comfort level with my girlfriend, seriously, for I've only know her for two years. To bad I never had a childhood (female) friend.

But remember, I see anime as a form of entertainment. Just like movies, or basketball. Usually if an anime is entertaining, I'll like it, but there's always exceptions, (eg, To Heart). Plus I haven't watched a lot of anime, so my selection was quite limited. And the top 5 is subject to change at any time...

Oh Karma: "Don't question my authority or put me in a box..." heh heh heh.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 02:37   Link #98
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Everyone has their own opinions this is why this thread exists?

1. Jungle Taitei- You can't get any better
2. Kanon- Best Romance
3.Ojamajo Doremi- The best magical Girl anime
4. Comet-san- The best romance/magical girl LOL
5. I have no idea I love hundereds of anime so this is tied with HXH, Eden's Bowy Galaxy Angel, Unico and so on

KGNE- I have seen better soap operas on TV LOL j/k but I do know of better love stories and dramas that exist that are better.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 16:21   Link #99
choowee
lurkeress

My Top Five (in no particular order, because narrowing my favorites down to fiver was hard enough):

Cowboy Bebop- I have yet to find someone who has seen this series who doesn't think it as one of the best series ever. Very professional animation, great story line, and Spike. If I had to use a series to define the word "cool" it would be this one.

Trigun- yes, this series takes its time before showing how great it is. You have bear through the first 8 or 9 episodes which appear to be a little childish before you realize how amazing the storyline and characters are. Its an emotional story with a little romance and a lot of philosophy and action. Its beautiful- not to be missed.

Rurouni Kenshin- unlike others, I include the whole series, ova's and movie in this. The Ova's are far better than the series, but since I watched the series first, the superior animation and storyline didn't spoil me when it came to the tv series and movie.
This series has it all, great characters, romance, samurai action, and a wonderful storyline with a dark undertone. Be warned though, the ova's are very violent- though the violence is very meaningful and adds to the storyline.

Fruits Basket- what can I say! I can't count how many time I have watched this series. Its a shoujo anime that makes you feel all warm inside- like hot cocoa on a cold winter night. Its chicken soup for the soul.

Samurai Deeper Kyo/ Scrapped Princess- I can't decide which of these should make the list so I am adding both (its become my top six series... ) Both series have great animation, wonderful characters, suspense, action, etc.
choowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 16:51   Link #100
Diedrupo

It seems like every year, some new show enters my top 5, in 2003 it was Kiminozo, in 2002, Azumanga and Kanon, in either case, here's my top 5 (which is my favorite 5, not which 5 anime I think are the best ever):

1. Hana Yori Dango
2. To Heart
3. Azumanga Daioh
4. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
5. Kanon

Note, ever since seeing Hana Yori Dango, and then To Heart, they've always been my first and second all-time favorites. I don't think it'll ever change.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lists, top five