AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-09-23, 12:46   Link #61
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I suggest you to watch both of his Elite Squad films to get an idea how things will turn out.
I've seen the films, and like I said, I am worried they will turn the series too serious (and potentially bland).

Last edited by james0246; 2012-09-23 at 15:56.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 15:36   Link #62
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
On the other hand, almost every single opera ever written was an adaptation of a previous work.

As far as I'm aware, 90% of Mozart's Operas were adaptations of previous works. For instance the Marriage of Figaro was an adaptation of a play written only 2 years earlier. It was the 18th century equivalent of "The Lion King: The Musical"

Good point

Now to see if I can retain my credibility while I contemplate if a play is the same discipline as a musical
it's true that Mozart ripped off the story, can't argue that

What also is certain that the new Robocop is a movie remake of ...a movie
Although ridiculous, having it seen remade as a musical would have been quite an art to pull off well
Old 2012-09-23, 15:55   Link #63
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Although ridiculous, having it seen remade as a musical would have been quite an art to pull off well
Do not tempt fate . There is already a Batman and Spiderman musical, I could definitely see a Robocop musical on the horizon, especially if it is made and produced in Detroit .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 16:57   Link #64
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I am aware of at least one Terminator: the Musical, possibly two.
Old 2012-09-23, 18:05   Link #65
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I've seen the films, and like I said, I am worried they will turn the series too serious (and potentially bland).
There were moments of sarcastical humour in the the films. ("What could the commander do, call the cops ?") But those are the subtle type that will fly over the head of the audience if they are not playing close attention.

So I think Robocop 2013 is in safe hands as the satirical was also lost in the 1987 original with people focusing too much on the gore and violence.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 22:00   Link #66
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Good point

Now to see if I can retain my credibility while I contemplate if a play is the same discipline as a musical
it's true that Mozart ripped off the story, can't argue that

What also is certain that the new Robocop is a movie remake of ...a movie
You have a point, but I'd argue that plays and Operas are much more similar disciplines then Movies and Musicals, and much of the appeal of something like the Marriage of Figaro is the comic writing (though admittedly no one really goes to see Mozart for the writing...)

Still, if we go further, look at Anime. Almost every Anime is an adaptation, and most Anime are fairly by the numbers affairs, just stringing the Manga panels together with motion in between. Furthermore you get cases like FMA: Brotherhood, where the Anime was remade only 6 years after the "original". Arguably, Brotherhood was the better iteration.

Still, I think Hollywood does make too many remakes, reboots, sequels and adaptations. Where's the creativity?

Though this has nothing on Spiderman getting rebooted, when it didn't really need rebooting (why didn't they just make spiderman 4 with a new actor, a la James Bond?)
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 02:05   Link #67
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^Blame Sony trying to rush Sam Raimi for a 4th film along with filming it in 3D. Sam couldn't make the deadline and call it quits on directing the series which Sony decided to reboot the franchise.

Also The Amazing Spider-man was much better than Spider-man 3.
Old 2012-09-24, 05:29   Link #68
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
^Blame Sony trying to rush Sam Raimi for a 4th film along with filming it in 3D. Sam couldn't make the deadline and call it quits on directing the series which Sony decided to reboot the franchise.

Also The Amazing Spider-man was much better than Spider-man 3.
ehh i dont think rushing and 3D is the reason why there is no spiderman 4. it's more like Raimi cannot make a script that he like until the deadline

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 05:30   Link #69
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
But, would you consider "Mona Lisa II" a valuable addition to the Louvre?
Well this isn't at the louvre but you can find it at the prestigious paris modern arts museum.

Quote:
Still, I think Hollywood does make too many remakes, reboots, sequels and adaptations.
This graph pretty much sums it up
Old 2012-09-24, 05:40   Link #70
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

cannot helped. we are in recession. most of industry now is playing safe instead doing something new and risque

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 07:04   Link #71
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
cannot helped. we are in recession. most of industry now is playing safe instead doing something new and risque
I'm not sure that's a good argument. They made tons of original movies during the great depression. Just look at King Kong.

Mind, Hollywood was a MUCH younger institution at the time, and the tendency for sequels of regular films was rare. There were filmed serials, but that's slightly different.

Makes you really wonder what kind of popular culture imprint this decade is going to have 30-40 years from now. How will people characterize this era of films? Endless knockoffs and bad(for the future) looking CGI?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 07:12   Link #72
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Hollywood is basically creatively bankrupt.
Old 2012-09-24, 08:19   Link #73
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Hollywood is basically creatively bankrupt.
Which brings us to pay more attention to foreign cinema, where there are more attempts at innovating and/or good storytelling than profit-making.
Old 2012-09-24, 09:51   Link #74
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Modern innovative classics could still happen. That is provided that the good director proved his worth to the financial backers at the studio. Avatar and Titanic might not have been filmed if Cameron failed in T2, likewise for Inception had Nolan messed up TDK. In a nutshell, the vision of the Director is restricted by how much funding he can convinced and recieved from the studio.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 13:48   Link #75
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Which brings us to pay more attention to foreign cinema, where there are more attempts at innovating and/or good storytelling than profit-making.
Yes, though it's uneven.

For instance, I'd argue that Hong Kong's (previously great) film industry is in even worse shape then the USA. At least the USA manages to still produce a large volume of quality films, even if they're derivative. HK doesn't even manage that, though they used to (let's be honest, how many people watched Kung Fu for the writing?).
Old 2012-09-24, 13:52   Link #76
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There were sequels in the silent film era. Just that most of them were "lost" because they were not very good films.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:05   Link #77
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
You have a point, but I'd argue that plays and Operas are much more similar disciplines then Movies and Musicals, and much of the appeal of something like the Marriage of Figaro is the comic writing (though admittedly no one really goes to see Mozart for the writing...)
Though song and dance often require a good amount of "acting" I fail to see how acting is comparable to song and dance
Most opera singers aren't world's best actors, I also sincerely doubt many actors make good operasingers
and do we really go SEE mozart's work, or go to HEAR them

Quote:
Still, if we go further, look at Anime. Almost every Anime is an adaptation, and most Anime are fairly by the numbers affairs, just stringing the Manga panels together with motion in between. Furthermore you get cases like FMA: Brotherhood, where the Anime was remade only 6 years after the "original". Arguably, Brotherhood was the better iteration.
Well, I can't say Anime has become much better in the past years, there's enough pessimism about the cliches and 'safe-bet' formulas in current topics in the general thread

Quote:
Still, I think Hollywood does make too many remakes, reboots, sequels and adaptations. Where's the creativity?
one can argue about adaptations
but a while ago the gaming industry had better stories and 'movies' then hollywood were able to produce with 100 times the budget
unfortunatly, they too succumed to the 'safe investment' industry mindset

Quote:
Though this has nothing on Spiderman getting rebooted, when it didn't really need rebooting (why didn't they just make spiderman 4 with a new actor, a la James Bond?)
Because apparently they think people are too stupid to remember 10 years back
but hey, getting little Jimmy to pester his parents for movietheatermoney is exactly what they want
Old 2012-09-24, 19:14   Link #78
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Though song and dance often require a good amount of "acting" I fail to see how acting is comparable to song and dance
Opera/Musicals are actually fairly close in terms of visual language to Theater (particularly Opera). Both claim their roots to be ancient Greek/Roman theater, as well. Also, the standard Opera has no "dancing", and so is less of a spectacle then a Broadway musical would be. Though Opera is by it's nature melodramatic, it does aim for dramatic intensity along the lines of a play.

Now movies are actually quite a different beast. But if you watch an Operatic Farce, and a Theatric Farce, they both tend to proceed in similar ways. They are related art forms.
Quote:
Most opera singers aren't world's best actors, I also sincerely doubt many actors make good operasingers
and do we really go SEE mozart's work, or go to HEAR them
Good Opera singing requires good acting, you have to get across the emotion and intensity of the song. It's acting, but in a different form. The Music in an opera is intended to convey dramatic weight for the story. Now, admittedly, a fair number of opera have plots that are disposable things just to hang the music on, but a fair number are also the opposite. For instance, Mozart/La Ponte's Don Giovanni is good not only for it's great music, but also how the music and drama comes together to convey the plot. Now admittedly, the music probably stands better on it's own better then the script, but on the flip side, the music is a lot better when seen in context of the opera as a whole.

An Opera at it's best is a feast combining the best of 3 components: Music, Drama and Visuals. It's not simply a music concert. The more modern Musical is similar.

People do go to both see and hear Mozart. Otherwise you'd just listen to recordings, and they wouldn't bother to provide subtitle translations for the script.
Old 2012-09-26, 09:15   Link #79
ElCachicamo

Quote:
Yes, though it's uneven.

For instance, I'd argue that Hong Kong's (previously great) film industry is in even worse shape then the USA. At least the USA manages to still produce a large volume of quality films, even if they're derivative. HK doesn't even manage that, though they used to (let's be honest, how many people watched Kung Fu for the writing?).
Hong Kong films industry is much more than just Kung fu flicks. Infernal Affairs is a excellent movie for example, totally superior to the Hollywood remake which won an Oscar for best picture, and the script was one of the best things about it.
ElCachicamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 12:37   Link #80
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
Hong Kong films industry is much more than just Kung fu flicks. Infernal Affairs is a excellent movie for example, totally superior to the Hollywood remake which won an Oscar for best picture, and the script was one of the best things about it.
Infernal Affairs was an anomaly. There hasn't been more then maybe 2 other films that have been that innovative since 1998. Hong Kong is otherwise stale and lost much of the energy that made it great in the first place. I blame mainland china cannibalizing it's talent.