AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2013-01-19, 02:17   Link #10461
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Krono just made this chapter more understandable. Well played dude.
Old 2013-01-19, 04:33   Link #10462
ImperialFlameGod8190

Nicely done krono very well analyzed but honestly people for half this week we're basically gonna rage about Minerva's bitchiness and desire for her to get curbstomped but really in this anime despite the anger we never get the true curbstomping that we desire so lets just be frank here Minerva's gonna be beat then we can move on to hopefully laxus or sting but sadly we wont be able to get both together
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 05:05   Link #10463
DawnEmperor

In all honesty, did Kagura really lose, so much as admit defeat(yeah, very semantic issue)? She really didn't look that roughed up to me
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 05:14   Link #10464
Kafriel
Senior Guest

She could actually keep fighting, she got up after Erza's slash but lost her will to fight. Minerva's backstab took place before Erza's victory was recognized though, so points to Minerva.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 07:24   Link #10465
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Thank you Krono for a well thought out post. Was afraid I would have to do all that work.

Also, for the people claiming this was a one-slash fight, did you guys really forget that this fight has technically been going for 5 chapters now? It started in 311 and ended in 315, just because Minerva came and left doesn't suddenly make this an entirely different fight.

Also, Kagura was hardly portrayed as weak, she held her own throughout the fight and even had the advantage last chapter. In this chapter she displayed a rather staggering amount of power by cutting through the Arena's magic barrier (a feat only Minerva and Natsu have matched), then the Arena, then through the entire city (which exceeds any prior example). It is probably the single strongest attack we have witnessed in this arc so far. Just because she ended up losing the fight doesn't make her weak.

Erza didn't even try blocking it head on, she deflected it. Then she simply struck before Kagura when she attempted to attack again.
Old 2013-01-19, 12:56   Link #10466
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I think you're confusing it with the Flight Armor which is the one that actually increases her speed and agility. This gives her no boosts (well except for it not weighing her down, but the Flight Armor is better for this) something she explains to Ikaruga herself (she explains that she had been hiding her heart behind armor and since she no longer used any she could then defeat Ikaruga or some crap like that).

So no...it doesn't give her any advantages nor disadvantages. She's just suddenly stronger without armor because...Shounen logic...

I agree with Kitten, since the Tower of Heaven Arc her armors haven't really counted for much aside from her fight against Knightwalker where the whole point of the fight was Multi-Weapons vs Multi-Armors...(but even that armors is just lolsuperpower) and her fight against Midnight...which was awesome because she actually used an armor's properties to her advantage. But since then it's mostly been
Step 1: use armors and start losing
Step 2: take off all armors
Step 3: One shot the previously unbeatable opponent...
You have part of your answer right there. The Tower of Heaven arc was a large part of Erza changing her feelings and resolve. Before, she had an inner conflict, but after it was mostly cleared up. Thus, she now longer has a fear that lets subconsciously makes her hide behind armor, thus allowing her to use her "bandage" form.

Right after the Tower of Heaven Arc, we had the Thunder Palace arc, in which Erza used her normal swords and Heaven's Wheel armor to defeat Evergreen. Then Lightning Empress armor to fight Laxus (with the implication that's what she would have continued to use, had Natsu not come along). Then Heaven's Wheel again to take down 100 or 200 of those thunder balls.

In Nirvana, she used Heaven's Wheel, the robe of Remoteness to defeat Midnight.

In the Edolas arc, she fought her opposite using various armors, ending up with her "strongest" the Fairy Tail armor.

In the Tenrou Island arc, she did use her bandage armor to defeat Azuma, so I'll give you that (although in the anime she does try a bunch of other armors first). But as you can plainly see, that armor hasn't been the go-to armor for even a majority of the past arcs and fights. Erza has a lot of armors, some useful in more situations than others. By thinking tactically and using the right armor for the right situation, she overcomes her weaknesses and the opponent's strengths. Sometimes that is her bandage armor, and sometimes it isn't. And sometimes she has to cycle through a few armors to find the one that will work the best.

One last thing I'll say, to add on to a bit of what Krono said.... when Milliana said that she thought Kagura would be stronger, Milliana hadn't seen Erza's new powerup yet. So, it's quite reasonable to presume that Erza would still ultimately be stronger. In a way, some people were misled (as per Mashima's plan), into getting into the mindset of Kagura being a threat. That's what a writer has to do, build up an opponent as a serious threat, but *also* make it reasonable to have that opponent b e defeated. Mashima did an excellent job here, as several people were convinced that Kagura was stronger.

So, bravo Mashima, you did a great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
You know, the rules that applies to the characters in the manga. As long as you're one of the good guys and you have some determination, you can win and defeat anything. It doesn't matter if you're beaten to a pulp previously.

It's like playing really hard RPG, where you struggle to fight some boss. You use your special attacks, toss magic and you use items to get that HP lowered as you can. But then, suddenly, when the health bar is low, the boss uses some move that kills your party instantly, it doesn't matter if your health was full and you had defense up. Yes, Fairy Tail is just that now, only Natsu's team are the dungeon bosses.

In times like these that I admire Dragon Ball and it's strong enemies.
Fairy Tail is shonen, and I think quite a few people don't entirely know what that means. Shonen literally means "boys" and is geared for young boys. And there are specific things that young boys in Japan really like. We may call these "Shonen trappings" but including them, ensures Fairy Tail stays one of the current best selling manga.

Dragonball Z was popular for a reason. So is Bleach, and Naruto. One Piece is #1 right now for a reason. Shonen manga is THE highest selling manga genre out there.

Mashima knows this, thus you might look at it as him having to include such shonen trappings, in order to keep Fairy Tail popular. If he didn't, the manga wouldn't be as popular, and thus might get canceled.

So, honestly, I agree with you that I'm a bit tired of the cliche trappings that shonen has, but I still like this story. So I am forced to accept the trade-off, since my options are:

#1. Fairy Tail canceled.

#2. Fairy Tail continues with some shonen trappings and cliches.

Currently, I think Mashima is striking a nice balance, between having a good story with many different elements, and keeping just enough shonen cliches to keep it popular and well-selling, and thus able to continue the story.

Maybe you would rather see it canceled? I don't know. It's a valid personal choice, if someone would rather see something end, rather than continue with cliches. But Fairy Tail has had quite a number of fights and situations that didn't follow shonen cliches, so I'm willing to let the cliches pass when they happen. Your choice, is up to you.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2013-01-20 at 13:13.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 15:23   Link #10467
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post

Ryus
In all honesty Erza should change her magic all together then.
Don't disagree logically.... both know it will never happen though
Old 2013-01-19, 15:29   Link #10468
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

A rather hilarious thought occurred to me.

Sting is Sabertooth's guild master after defeating the prior one right?

If that is the case, shouldn't Sabertooth be disqualified, as Guild Masters aren't allowed to participate directly in the games?

Last edited by Fenrir_valindri; 2013-01-19 at 15:45.
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 15:36   Link #10469
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Erza didn't even try blocking it head on, she deflected it.
Now this makes alot more sense. I didn't think anything could make me feel better about this chapter*, but this changes my perspective a bit. I still think the fight really needed another round before the big finish though.

*: Short of Mashima extending it in the volume release, hint hint, crossed fingers.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 18:09   Link #10470
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Creatd a kinda serious, kinda joke post on another forum about Stings plan . And Erza vs Minerva conclusion. Well here it is

Spoiler for Erza vs Minerva & Sting's plan prediction:

Well hope you all like it
Old 2013-01-19, 18:35   Link #10471
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

My personal prediction is that Jura will intervene in this fight and put Minerva in her place. He has gone outfought for too long.
Old 2013-01-19, 23:01   Link #10472
Taco Bell
Gordita's for Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Creatd a kinda serious, kinda joke post on another forum about Stings plan . And Erza vs Minerva conclusion. Well here it is

Spoiler for Erza vs Minerva & Sting's plan prediction:

Well hope you all like it

Interesting. I really hope the laxus/ogra part happens because that would explain what jura would be doing and make rogue vs gajeel not so much of a joke fight. I agree that minerva isn't 5 points. I think she thinks her so called god plan will make sting invincible therefore he got the captain.

Lyon/chelia will fight gray/juvia in a tag match because they have there whole love triangle thing to sort out. Really the only wild cards are jura and sting right now. No idea what sting is going to do but I still believe in the Fairy Tail vs Jura matchup happening.
Taco Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 00:31   Link #10473
DarkRaven
GOD

Spoilers are out
DarkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 00:51   Link #10474
Taco Bell
Gordita's for Everyone

Spoiler for didn't see the pictures but summary:

nvm saw pictures and confirmed. Shits about to go down.
Taco Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 01:10   Link #10475
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Spoiler for spoilers:
Old 2013-01-25, 02:17   Link #10476
DarkRaven
GOD

i really hope those dragons are on their way to crash the tournament lol
DarkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 03:41   Link #10477
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I really hope one of the dragons has to go to the bathroom and one of its poops falls on Minerva, OTK'ing her.
Old 2013-01-25, 03:42   Link #10478
Bombo
TSF Fans

I never thought about dragons tbh
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 03:53   Link #10479
konart

Lol, Houston, we have a problem!
Old 2013-01-25, 05:08   Link #10480
ImperialFlameGod8190

yea this is something although if this chapter did something it excites me and increase the hatred for Minerva. I mean seriously we have laxus orga and jura. the lovers quarrel between gray and leon plus juvia and sharia and of course gajeel vs rogue. This is about to get really good but man they better do this stuff right
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen