AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Zero no Tsukaima

Notices

View Poll Results: Zero no Tsukaima Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 33 21.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 29.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 22.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 16.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.31%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.65%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-25, 14:26   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Zero no Tsukaima Overall Series One Impressions & Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 13 episodes of Zero no Tsukaima ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, speculation on a possible second season, etc., etc…

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • General speculation on a second season.

• How did the anime compare with the light novels?
  • Characters/Character Design
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Adaptation from Novels: 1-10
Editing: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.
Old 2006-09-25, 16:19   Link #2
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Yay first post lol

Well anyway I would give this series a 9/10. This anime may consider to be as good as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya but apart from the novel its really squeezed in making it real short but understandable. Even one of the episodes covers 2 volumes of the novels. However I don't like the ending for how they put at the end. If it was me, I would make this anime a 20+ episodes or more consider how long the novel is. Like continuing from volume 9 how there will be problems with Saito and Louise. But overall this is a great anime.
Old 2006-09-25, 19:35   Link #3
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Well, I give it a 9/10 as well. It was a great anime but it was pretty short. It should be somewhere around 24 or 26 episodes. That way, it doesn't feel like it was rushed or anything like that. Still, it was a fun anime. Plenty of characters to remember by
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-09-25, 23:36   Link #4
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
Boy was i pressed hard on the decision to give this a 9 instead of a 10, only for one reason, and it's the reason everyone else gave...TOO SHORT!

they could have made so much more happen...i felt that the character development was too short (never did they go into what saitos normal day in japan was like...).

i hate fillers, but i think they could have avoided making them even with 24+ episodes, they had alot to go on and yet...they cut it short, none the less i still loved it and it will go down as one of my all times
Old 2006-09-26, 03:57   Link #5
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

6/10,

Fun, and I did like the "Bazooka = Staff of Destruction" and "Zero = Dragon" comparison, but the story goes nowhere, the characters go nowhere, and I feel they're really abusing the "stupid dog" catch-phrase.

Additionally, Louise's Void abilities were very poorly explained, and gave her display of power a very cliched "Hidden power" feel - they could've done better than a big white flash, and Louise going SEED.

From what I've read of the Manga Summaries, the anime really doesn't do it justice.
Old 2006-09-26, 05:05   Link #6
Major
Shana's lover

9/10
yeah i agree it was just way too short but other then that it was good.
Old 2006-09-26, 07:10   Link #7
cyw1988
Japaholic

Send a message via MSN to cyw1988
Animation 8 - Decent. Nothing less than what one would expect from anime nowadays
Sound 7 - Music is pretty limited. Could have used a longer soundtrack.
Story 8.5 - Not bad at all only complain is it was rushed.
Characters 7.5 - Well the characters could have more development

Overall 8

Well like everyone says, the series is too short. Had it been longer, I am sure they can score a higher mark. Anyway, it is a good series to watch whether it is to kill time or if you love those Romance/comedy flicks.
Old 2006-09-30, 03:29   Link #8
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Animation: 7.5. Not superb (a lá KyoAni) but pleasantly watchable. Loses half a point for the glitter-wipe.

Music: 6. I can't call to mind any specific BGM tracks, whenever I watch an episode and rehear something I think 'eh, whatever.' The OP/ED themes are among the only anime OP/EDs that I haven't gone out and bothered getting full size.

SFX: 7. Again, nothing particularly memorable, but some of the funky Derflinger effects, and the machine gun spray did cause some amusement. So did the whip. ^^

Character: 6. Development, required. Some nice basic ideas, but the pacing of the last two episodes didn't do the characters justice. They changed far too quickly.

Story: 7. The story was interesting, when it was there (say, the last four/five episodes?). Again, pacing loses it points.

Editing: 5. Glitter-wipes aren't the way to go in every single situation, and again we lose points for pacing - but a lot of points.

Voice Acting: 8.5. Points for just having Horie Yui (^^) let alone in a role she did well. Also points for teaming up Kugimiya Rie and Hino Satoshi together again after Shana. Wald's voice was suitably evil-debonáir. Cromwell's voice was silly though.

Average score: 6.7, call it an even 7.

Hm. Perhaps I should say here that the glitter-wipe really irritated me, or do we think we've covered that enough times? As I mentioned in the ep 13 thread, I will pick up Zero no Tsukaima if licensed, and it does have some potential as a rewatch show for me. But, in all honesty, I've seen better shows before. This one was fun, and entertaining, and that's all I really expected it to be. Now, I'm looking forward to the novels.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-09-30, 05:17   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Animation ~ it was really nice...i didnt see anything wrong and inconsistant so its a 10/10
Sound ~ voice acting and background music as good also...im always reminded of shana 9/10
Story ~ screwed up here tho >.< the leadup to the end was good but the end just fails as its too rushed (no surprise there) 7/10
Characters ~ need more development on side charas like tabeta(sp?) he bg story was interesting shame we couldnt see it conclude 7/10

so overall its a 8/10 for the series...shame it could have easily got 10 is it was longer...but its still a good series nontheless

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-09-30, 11:35   Link #10
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Overall 9/10

The characters are all a bit overdone but still easy to love.It's a shame we didn't get more debpt on other characters beside Saito and Louise

I greatly enjoyed the comedy and the action.

I only have 2 gripes about this serie

1 : Aside from Ward,it seems all the adult full-fledged mages are completely incompetent.The students are able to display amazing power and tactics,while the adults will throw out a small attack and they're out of options.

2 : Here we have a whole serie building up on the amazing Legendary Mage of the Void.So when the time comes for Louise to show her true powers,you can't blame the fans to have some expectations.I was hoping for her to go Lina Inverse and starting throwing one doom spell after another,but no all we get is a crappy white flash.

All in all it's a great series as long as you don't expect a grandiose ending
Old 2006-09-30, 13:59   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

For 13 episodes it pretty much did its job for me.

Yet another genius musical score by the man himself, Shinkichi Mitsumune did wonders for me and this show.. i've got say that a good part of my love for the series goes to the music, that and the characters all fit well with each other.

As for Saito.. well he's the role-model of male leads if you ask me, he's cool.. knows what to say, and doesn't take anything - also pack with a great attitude to things around him.

Anyway, i hope a second season happens.. 'cause i know theres more material. Here's hoping~
Old 2006-09-30, 23:03   Link #12
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Overall Im giving this an 8/10. It was entertaining for the most part. The refs to LOTR were kinda cool but it lacked some character development, which is hard to do in only 13 epis. I will say that I wasnt really impressed with the magic aspect of the series besides Tabitha most of the characters didnt do much. Also Tabitha probaly had the best character development based on the small background story. I enjoyed this series but I think 13 epis was fine for it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2006-10-01, 05:55   Link #13
J2theR

7/10 same complaints as everyone else

It had great potential, but it turned out quite anti-climatic (especially the legendary void magic). Still a good series that coulda been great had they more episodes.

I haven't read the novels and wanted to ask anyone that has read the novels if the series, for better or worse, covered all the novels or is there still room for a second season. Also if the series did cover the novels in a nutshell, anyone know if more novels are in the making or not?
Old 2006-10-02, 02:08   Link #14
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

8/10 It was a really nice show, colorful and lighthearted.

Animation Quality: 8 Not the best, but still very good. I also like the characters design.

Voice Actors: 10 This part was great.

Script: 7 Well, the story itself was nice, but in the end they suddenly added tonnes of new stuffs, started to hurry and crashed everything. I agree with complaints above that it's too short. The same story shown in 24 episodes and made in more detailed way would look better.

Adaptation from Novels: I've read only the first chapter, so can't judge

Editing: 8 It was ok, nothing really annoyed me.
Old 2006-10-02, 07:01   Link #15
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
This is one few series I would like to see go past 13. I would like to see a nice development of each the main Character but for it been 13 I can't complain cause all 13 were fun to watch.
Old 2006-10-02, 07:21   Link #16
Rin-Sama
Banned

i give it a 7/10. If Satio had ended up with Seista in the end then i would have given it a higher score, however since he didn't offically end up with Louise either then i won't give it a low score.
Old 2006-10-02, 12:15   Link #17
Levski
Banned

Several things i didn't like about this series.

#1 It didn't go into the area of her treating him as a dog. I would have liked maybe right before their first actual kiss or after it for him to be pissed at her and represent the fact that he hates that she treats him like dirt and for her to appreciated him. I would like for him to have expressed how she tore him from home and how she is a total bitch to him, but that didn't happen.

#2 The show should be longer and that is that.

#3 The final "emotional" moment still was not emotional enough. I would have liked if there was some talking between the two where he expressed his hate for the way she treats him. That would have made her feel really bad, regret what she has done, and in the end still treat him a bit bad, but with much more repsect. I like her jealousy and it think its hilarious.
Old 2006-10-03, 01:09   Link #18
Kensuke

Excellent series, so I give it 9/10.

Animation quality wasn't always good, but characters were drawn very well (and cute too).
Maybe it would have worked better if there were 26 episodes, but as a 13 episode series it was good. I haven't read the novels so I can't compare this to it.

Comedy, action, little romance, and the cutest female characters I have seen since Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ (I loved Louise's tsundere, Siesta is too sweet to describe, Jessica needed more screentime, and Kirche and Tabitha were just great), so it was really easy to like this series.
Old 2006-10-04, 15:06   Link #19
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Zero no Tsukaima Final Thoughts

Here am I again on posting my last reviews for the previous seasons shows that aired.

The title was catchy to me, but instead of compelling me to start watching I first gathered information about it in the general discussion thread.

Omni's blog helped a lot to get first scoop pics about ZnT, but it wasn't until I read the similarities between ZnT to Shakugan no Shana that I didn't think twice to try it and more so with J.C. staff as the animation studio.

The magic school setting prompted me to relate ZnT with the Harry Potter series, dubbing it with nicknames as Shakugan no Potter or Zero no Shana, but the more episodes I kept on watching the more I realized that Tsukaima reveled its unique plot and original storytelling.
By the last quarter of episodes, I already was identified with the characters and their personalities & the scope of the series.

Though I cannot refute that Louise's tsundere moments toward Saito parallel Shana's overall tsundere -ness for Yuuji.

There are things about the main antagonists that I would have wished for the studio to have invested more time to build pacing, so as to properly make an in-depth exploration about ReConquista, Fouquet's enigmatic personality, and Ward's background history.
Since the last episode seemed to me more of a regular episode ending, than a series finale itself.

But I earned much fun with the running gags, including the Saito-Louise Kodak moments; particularly episode seven, which literally had me cracked up with laughter.

The soundtrack without doubt contains several masterpiece scores that each one of them accurately conveyed the mood felt at a specific situations, for example, Saito pissing Louise, Henrietta's loss for Wales, Louise silence of her feelings, etc.

Though I cannot rate this show as a masterpiece, I can say in its favor that it is a fine anime full of ingenious and quirky characters, that makes you to love most of them at the end.
Old 2006-10-05, 15:10   Link #20
ryaken

Send a message via MSN to ryaken
I yielded 9/10 im sorry, its the drugs. Tsundere drugs. ^^
Some things really did piss me off, but I never read the novels and I'd like too so I can give this a lower rating, but it was entertaining and fun for me.

Examples of things I didn't like:
- The weak Fouquet
- Predictability
- Zero wipes out entire ship in one go?? a bit much
- Shounen style powerup (not that bad but not needed)
- weirdo trying to steal away Louise

I did enjoy Louise, Saito the Man, characters, comedy (Louise had a horse whip come on) and it was easy to watch. Too bad its over for now.
Closed Thread