AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-05-31, 08:44   Link #41
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Hmm... seems like it shows I'm relatively new to anime (I started somewhere around 2000-2001 iirc), so I really didn't get any of the 198x songs. There were a few anime which I had seen, but apparently the song didn't really stick.

I faired a bit better with the 199x songs, including "Komm susser tod" (German title, English lyrics, Japanese anime ) from EoE. I'm definitely in the camp of people who hated EoE compared to the original ending, but that song just plain rocks. The Nadesico OP and CCS OP3 are among my all-time favorites as well.

Last, as expected there were only a few from the 200x era that I didn't recognize. Due to being able to recognize more songs in this category I'm also able to disagree with more of the listings in it, like "Reckless Fire" (Scryed) which I don't really think is great at all. And as far as Sousei no Aquarion themes go: I think "Go Tight" (OP2) is way better than OP1.

I agree with the opinion about ALI Project mentioned in an earlier post: I'm not exactly a fan of ALI Project songs because they just sound weird to me. Still, at least they managed to put the better songs in the top 20, not some of the really aweful ones.

There were a lot of Gundam songs in the list, but oddly almost none that I find really good from the ones I recognized. Of course, I've only seen ~Wing, ~Seed and ~Destiny, so I haven't got a lot of experience to go on. For example I think "Meteor" by "T.M Revolution" is better than the other Seed songs they listed, but anyway...

To bad my truly all-time favorite anime song didn't make the list: Agape by Ritsuko Okazaki. It's an insert song to UFO Princess Valkyrie, which I found "by mistake" (a very good mistake) among some of the anime music I downloaded years ago.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 08:50   Link #42
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

There are way too many OP songs up there.
I realise people who actually vote for this kind of junk polls are usually twits.
Probably one of the reasons why kira yamato got like ranked no1 on newtype for consecutive months. *shrugs*
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 10:56   Link #43
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
You don't want to hear my opinion on Yoko Kanno compositions with vocals though (The one's where she makes up her own language and it sounds really discordant and unpleasant).
Oh, that detail makes the songs even more appealing overall. I believe getting rid of the lyrics to focus only on the sound of the vocals to be part of her master touch. Besides, she's the one doing the singing in those tracks (though she goes by the alias of Gabriela Robin), which pleases me more.

However, her Sakamoto tracks are some of the best there are out there. Not only the ones for anime, but the ones in Sakamoto's records (there are like 3 or 4 of Sakamoto's albums with music fully produced & composed by Kanno).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 12:32   Link #44
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Well well, I listened to the 200-1.
Damn, it was quite harmful. The fact that I hate mecha-fanboyism, coupled with the fact that im not really tolerant to old-style songs (no, I dont think they are "bad", I just dont like them), and Im sure that may make some people angered with me xD, made me hate 2ch and Japan while I listened the damned video. Damn 1st and 2nd place (especially the 2nd), fanboys rejoice. Somewhat agree with 3rd (The Biggest Dreamer is better IMO though...), and 4th was Tori no Uta, probably my favorite song.
Rejoice, Japan. I guess.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 15:13   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Soulblade View Post
Well well, I listened to the 200-1.
Damn, it was quite harmful. The fact that I hate mecha-fanboyism, coupled with the fact that im not really tolerant to old-style songs (no, I dont think they are "bad", I just dont like them), and Im sure that may make some people angered with me xD, made me hate 2ch and Japan while I listened the damned video. Damn 1st and 2nd place (especially the 2nd), fanboys rejoice. Somewhat agree with 3rd (The Biggest Dreamer is better IMO though...), and 4th was Tori no Uta, probably my favorite song.
Rejoice, Japan. I guess.
It's not mechas series fault that they just happen to have popular music. In my opinion the love for this kind of music was long overdue. I'm not from Japan, but I'm rejoicing. Plus there's hardly even such a thing as mecha fanyboyism. Everywhere I look the genre is pretty much exclusively ridiculed. Most people are actually with you, not with mecha fans like me (Who enjoy series like Gundam for its complex web of character relationships and epic scope of plot, not for watching things explode. I think thats where mecha-bashers make there biggest make is focusing on the battles to much). If anything there is an undercurrent of anti-mecha bias in the anime community these days.

The only thing that makes me angry in your post is this idea that so many people hold that if a series has mecha in it then there is no way it can have good music, characters, plot and atmosphere. Just like a lot of people seem to believe that if a series has lots of cute girls (Air for example) in it, is by KyoAni and is melodramatic and plodding that it will always be some thought provoking masterpiece in every single conceivable way. Any genre can have an impact as long as the effort is put in, Mecha in a series is no more of an auto-fail than stacking a series with moe characters and it also has nothing to do with the music whatsoever.

I see a lot of people complaining about the mecha series featured hear, yet nobody is complaining at all about all the harem anime music that is in the video too. If there's a pro mecha bias then there must also be a pro harem bias. Well there isn't, that's just the popular music.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 06:00   Link #46
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post

Oh and Melissa was on there, which to me is the weakest FMA song by far. No sign of Rewrite or Ready Steady Go though.
I was mainly talking about the top 20 songs for 80s etc... I certainly didn't notice Melissa in there

Quote:
I've got to say that the videos arent' really helping people enjoy the songs they may be unfamiliar with. A lot of the 80's spots chose some of the weakest parts of the given songs for the samples and they weren't done justice. Specifically Yume Iro Chaser and Melos No Youni Lonely Way, but not limited to those two.
I think it's when the singer isn't oversinging the song, but is showing passion and working along with the musical accompaniment instead of overpowering it that I like 21st century songs. Maaya Sakamoto is like the prime example of working along with and seeming to feel the music she is singing instead of just belting out the lyrics (Which is why I didn't like the Sousei No Aquarion opening much).
There are parts of the song that aren't belted out, which I don't think were covered in that video. I would recommend giving the full version a try but whatever since you hated/disliked the snippet you heard I'm not sure it'll change your mind.
-----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the era something was made in should have any bearing on someone's opinion of it. I mean, isn't a good story still a good story, no matter what decade it was made in?
Agreed.

----------
Quote:
If only. I've tried that route before, it doesn't work. I can't name the number of people I've recommended Escaflowne, Macross Plus or Kimagure Orange Road to only to have them turn it down because it's from the 80's or 90's and "looks old". Plus if the people can't even get past something as superficial as the style of music in the 80's and are content to ridicule it as some sort of crap, how do you think their enjoyment story would go down? If Do You Remember Love can't get any love then frankly the 80's are screwed for tolerance and interest from modern anime fans.
I'm not sure if this was in reference to my post earlier but just because I don't like the songs (and majority being OPs and EDs at that which can easily be skipped) doesn't mean I won't like the story, characters etc... All it means to me is that there is one less thing I like about the show, and in the grand scheme of things they're very insignificant things to me (referring to OP/ED songs here).

Last edited by arkon; 2007-06-02 at 12:57.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 01:56   Link #47
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

That's the problem with most of the 80's songs. They picked the weakest parts of them for the video, especially with Melos No Youni Lonely Way which was number 5 from the 80's and Yume Iro Chaser which was #4.
Old 2007-06-02, 04:02   Link #48
IMSabbel

I guess one reason why the 80s songs rate so bad is because people DONT KNOW THEM.

However good a song, you will like it better when you heard it 20 times instead of once. Especially if its only a 25 second excerpt. Opposed to those that are still in recent memory.
While i didnt know quite a bit of the 80s and some of the 90s songs, i am distanced enough to appreciate them. If i heard them 20 times (like ever episode), i would come to love them, i am sure.

Very ironic, btw, is that Kaioshin_Sama falls into the same trap with the 00 songs: he doesnt know many of them, and superficially downrates them, opposed to his nostalgia songs which more or less all are "legendary".
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 05:04   Link #49
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSabbel View Post
I guess one reason why the 80s songs rate so bad is because people DONT KNOW THEM.

However good a song, you will like it better when you heard it 20 times instead of once. Especially if its only a 25 second excerpt. Opposed to those that are still in recent memory.
While i didnt know quite a bit of the 80s and some of the 90s songs, i am distanced enough to appreciate them. If i heard them 20 times (like ever episode), i would come to love them, i am sure.

Very ironic, btw, is that Kaioshin_Sama falls into the same trap with the 00 songs: he doesnt know many of them, and superficially downrates them, opposed to his nostalgia songs which more or less all are "legendary".
Hmm well there are a lot of 2000 era songs I like, but yeah I am guilty of not being as familiar with them as I am with the 80's and 90's.
Old 2007-06-02, 17:43   Link #50
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I think they should change the name of the list to the worst of the 80s, 90s, and 00s, cause most of the voters seem to have misunderstood the meaning of the words "best" and "worst". I am glad I cannot post on 2ch, I wouldn't wanna be "fox"ed (as in fox news, the channel that aims to lower your IQ) there.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 19:06   Link #51
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Quote:
It's not mechas series fault that they just happen to have popular music. In my opinion the love for this kind of music was long overdue. I'm not from Japan, but I'm rejoicing. Plus there's hardly even such a thing as mecha fanyboyism. Everywhere I look the genre is pretty much exclusively ridiculed. Most people are actually with you, not with mecha fans like me (Who enjoy series like Gundam for its complex web of character relationships and epic scope of plot, not for watching things explode. I think thats where mecha-bashers make there biggest make is focusing on the battles to much). If anything there is an undercurrent of anti-mecha bias in the anime community these days.

The only thing that makes me angry in your post is this idea that so many people hold that if a series has mecha in it then there is no way it can have good music, characters, plot and atmosphere. Just like a lot of people seem to believe that if a series has lots of cute girls (Air for example) in it, is by KyoAni and is melodramatic and plodding that it will always be some thought provoking masterpiece in every single conceivable way. Any genre can have an impact as long as the effort is put in, Mecha in a series is no more of an auto-fail than stacking a series with moe characters and it also has nothing to do with the music whatsoever.

I see a lot of people complaining about the mecha series featured hear, yet nobody is complaining at all about all the harem anime music that is in the video too. If there's a pro mecha bias then there must also be a pro harem bias. Well there isn't, that's just the popular music.
Well, I was prepared to something like this.
I dont hate mechas, and I dont think that this type of anime has no plot and always focus only on battles, some do and some do not, but the point of my post was not that.
It was that (In my opinion, of course), the songs were not really good and a big mayority voted the songs of their favorite anime and mainly "nostagic" songs, not the "best" (and this is probably why Meteor, Ignited and Pride didnt appear in the lists, they were my favorites songs in the SEED universe :S)
I repeat, by no means I consider all mecha anime the same. Like with the rest of the genres, some are good, some are bad, they have strong and weak points and the people's opinion strongly varies.
Other thing to have in consideration is that, again, I dont quite like old songs. Its preference, is not that they are bad or not (it just adds to my anger :P).
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 23:37   Link #52
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

If I felt that a number of people would be able to list what they felt were the top 20 80's, 90's and 00's songs I would probably create my own thread for the topic. However, as it stands I don't think there's any larger group of people with enough knowledge on each decade than 2channel. If people (something like 3) truly think we can do better than 2channel at picking the top 20 songs from each decade I'll create a topic for it though.
Old 2007-06-03, 21:01   Link #53
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
However, as it stands I don't think there's any larger group of people with enough knowledge on each decade than 2channel.
You don't have to go back to the 80s. I think if you know the popular anime series of the 90s and 00s, and compare the songs from those to the selected ones, you will see how flawed the given the list is, in terms of quality at the least. Based on that, I doubt the people on 2ch have more knowledge on that. Even if they do, knowledge does not come with the ability to judge. Maybe they are so overflowing with knowledge that, at some point (before voting for that list, of course), they had lost track of their senses to decide on which is good and which is not good. Sad but true.
Old 2007-06-04, 04:31   Link #54
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
However, as it stands I don't think there's any larger group of people with enough knowledge on each decade than 2channel. .
That's like saying that 4chan have enough knowledge on each decade to decide what are the 200 best songs that were aired on radio and TV from 1970 to 2000, because they happen to be one of the largest group of people on the internet known to westerners.

I thought that were way better 1980s songs with more appealing vibes that deserved a spot to the top 5, namely those from City Hunter.
Old 2007-06-16, 18:48   Link #55
Azurexsky
hyuu!

alot of the 80's songs made me laugh, i found the best to come out of 2000's
Azurexsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 17:55   Link #56
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurexsky View Post
alot of the 80's songs made me laugh, i found the best to come out of 2000's
There are certainly exceptions. When you look at Ashita no Joe's opening theme (that is from the early 70s), you'd normally expect, there would be a lot more good songs in the 80s. Though the most I remember from the 80s is the theme to Clementine (something like "Clémentine, quand tu fermes..."), a French anime from 1985. There are a few others, mostly from the 70s (Esteban, Lunlun, Remi, Nausica, Seiya).
Old 2007-06-20, 10:47   Link #57
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just to fill in the blanks of Kaoishin in 2000, since I know jack from before that apart from a small smattering of anime.
Spoiler:

My favorites in 1990's
You get to burning (though I prefer Angela's 200X rendition by a mile and a half)
Komm Susser Todd (ranks bottom of the my fave list IMO)
Rinbu Revolution (Music from that anime is golden, enough for me to watch the show despite Shoujo-Ai tendencies)
Yuzurenai Negai (<-- Absolutely kick ass song IMO. Ranks VERY high in my list. Mikuni's remix is also recommended for those who prefer a more techno version)
dis- (totally awesome song from Infinite Ryvius, one of my favorite shows ever. Must be psycho-moe lol)
Cruel Angel's Thesis (definitely catchy, though I prefer the instrumental versions)

2000 (most of them lol)
God Knows (Haruhi, nuff said)
Kinjirareta Asobi (Sounds like a more modernized version of a classic piece)
HHY (Haruhi, nuff said)
Nowhere (I like FictionJunction Yuuka, but not so much this Madlax song)
Love Destiny (Show was a piece of garbage though unless implied loli incest moe is enough to keep you going<_<)
Hishoku no Sora (IMO Resublimity is the best song ever from KOTOKO, but I guess I can't complain if KOTOKO has 2 songs in the top 20. Though shooting star IMO sucks lol)
For Fruits Basket (One of the few slow songs I actually adore)
Shangrila (<3 Angela, though IMO Stellvia OP was better lol)
Innocent Starter (the only song in the Nanoha series I actually adore, everthing else was average including Eternal Blaze)
Seishoujo Ryouiki (another great song, but I prefer #19 over this)
Akatsuki no Kuruma (Hoorah! Now there's a FictionJunction YUUKA song, and a SEED song to boot. Just a shame none of the other SEED songs came out, particularly any of Nami Tamaki's or Life Goes On from Destiny)
Tori no Uta (Ranks low in my fave list, as I prefer the OP. ^^; )
Sousei no Aquarion (unlike most people, I think it pwns. Above and beyond all the other songs from that series)

All in all, I'm actually VERY satisfied with the 200X list, as 13 out of the 20 are at the very least listenable for me. Sure there's some songs I would've loved to get in 200x and other areas, like Yakusoku Iranai (Escaflowne), Touch (Touch), Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan (Sakura Wars), Minna ga Iine (Boys Be), Hitomi no Naka no Meikyuu (YamiBou), but I guess I really can't complain since a lot of other people don't really like the top 20's lol.

And speaking of nostalgia, I highly recommend Shimokawa Mikuni's Remember album. Some of the more popular older songs sung by THE singer of FMP fame? Awesome.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)

Last edited by DragoonKain3; 2007-06-20 at 11:30.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 11:16   Link #58
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Regarding nicovideo, today I got an e-mail from them saying that I have 24 hour access now! When you first start a new account, you can only log in at certain hours of the day.

I recognized almost none of the 80's, a few of the 90's, and most of the 2000's. I blame my parents for watching anime at spurts, and I only had continuous high-speed access since college. The selections seem pretty good, now I have to find a way to get some more mp3's.

A rock version of the top 20
Konata-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 00:33   Link #59
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
This should be corrected: It's merely the same list without the "robo-anime" songs. Kaioshin, grieve in pain

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 00:45   Link #60
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
This should be corrected: It's merely the same list without the "robo-anime" songs. Kaioshin, grieve in pain
Seems like nothing more than an excuse to get Tori No Uta into the top spot to me (which as far as I can tell is what everybody seemed to want anyway). I forget what was there originally, but people have their way now (sort of, I mean it is an edit of the original list after all).

edit: Oh right the Sousei No Aquarion theme. Still despite the suckage, I don't get the point of taking out certain themes just because they happen to be associated with mecha anime. If somebody can provide a logical reason as to why that is other than a hatred of Mecha shows, don't hesitate because my anti-mecha bias theory is looking stronger than ever with this video edit.

What Wanderingknight said is true, this isn't a Rock Version, just an Anti-Mecha version, because there are still many rock songs in there.