AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 120 51.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.43%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.43%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.13%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-05, 09:18   Link #101
elroid

Sad episode indeed.

So Kanade's version 5 can be used in sniping lol.
Old 2010-06-05, 09:43   Link #102
kitten320

Just saw subs, not so touching as other episodes but still really cute. Liked the whole Yui/Hinata moment. Looks like Hinata understood Otonashi's intentions and decided to jpin.

But damn, Otonashi is horrible with coming with plans. Especially with stolen guitar, looked so unnatural. Can't believe that Kanade really agreed to do it. Though her sniping weapon is cool, now the SSS members are doomed

By the way, was Yuri talking to Kanade on the phone?
If so, looks like they still can communicate with each other as normal people.

And I duno if any more sendings will be done, considering that some msteriouse shadow had appeared. Maximum I see 2 more sendings and no more. So I guess season 2 will come.
Old 2010-06-05, 09:51   Link #103
KariOhki

Deviloli was finally getting tolerable and poof.
Who else saw the dinosaur and Potato plushies in her room? As if I needed to be reminded of Air ;A;
Bronata is a true bro, helping Shirou out until the end.

Next ep: Another twist? Shadows confirmed!
Meidoshow: Maidklutz, Meirdio, Morooka, Seiba, Glassesmeido
Old 2010-06-05, 10:09   Link #104
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Just saw subs, not so touching as other episodes but still really cute. Liked the whole Yui/Hinata moment. Looks like Hinata understood Otonashi's intentions and decided to jpin.

But damn, Otonashi is horrible with coming with plans. Especially with stolen guitar, looked so unnatural. Can't believe that Kanade really agreed to do it. Though her sniping weapon is cool, now the SSS members are doomed

By the way, was Yuri talking to Kanade on the phone?
If so, looks like they still can communicate with each other as normal people.

And I duno if any more sendings will be done, considering that some msteriouse shadow had appeared. Maximum I see 2 more sendings and no more. So I guess season 2 will come.
I think Yuri was speaking to Yusa.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2010-06-05, 10:21   Link #105
Sigsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
By the way, if you guys have noticed, the final line of each preview often reveals something big about next episode. This time it's Yuri saying "well then, let's meet again if we get to". In addition to the line with someone saying (I can't tell who it is) that he would rather be taken out by Tenshi, it really sounds like everyone is going to disappear at once in the next episode. If that is the case, then what will the last 2 episodes be about? Smells like a huge plot twist coming up, even though that would be Maeda-like.
I think she means that they'll split up or something, nothing deep implied here (like disappearing and hoping to meet in reality)
And its probably to show at least 2 episodes on this, and last episode on revelations maybe?
Old 2010-06-05, 10:59   Link #106
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
I think Yuri was speaking to Yusa.
Would definetly make more sence.
Old 2010-06-05, 12:11   Link #107
Sovran

IMHO, the world of Angel Beats is like a transition for people who just died and still have regrets left, so to pass on they need to get a "permission" by purging oneselves from them. The Shadow that attacked at the end of the episode might be the result of SSS opposing the world.
P.S.: And I think Hinata really had feelings for Yui, there definitely was an affection between them, so he might have guessed himself what Otonashi was trying to do, and helped him out.
Old 2010-06-05, 12:21   Link #108
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Best Episode so I would have to say.
Old 2010-06-05, 13:08   Link #109
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

great episode.. purgatory uh? interesting.....

maybe the SSS should stop fighting things and start fulfilling their aspirations..
Old 2010-06-05, 13:12   Link #110
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Great... the stupid element that i always hate in every Key's work....

God damn it. They really knows how to make me forgetting a good anime by the time it ends
Old 2010-06-05, 13:24   Link #111
kitten320

What do you mean by stupid element?
Old 2010-06-05, 13:35   Link #112
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
What do you mean by stupid element?
For now, the Chekhov's Armoury to shut off every alternative solution toward a permanent end.

It's effective every time in getting up my nerve
Old 2010-06-05, 13:38   Link #113
jinnous

Although I agree with the sudden ending of YuiXHinata, you can't deny that they've always been together ever since the baseball game. Regarding the plan I thought that it was quite fitting because sometimes it takes an idiotic plan to trick an idiot.

+points for Kanade when she went "ahhh" and tossed the guitar, that was golden acting.
Old 2010-06-05, 13:51   Link #114
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I've always loved Yui. I have a soft spot for Genki Girls (except for Haruhi). I'll miss her, but I think Hinata suddenly announcing his love was a bit too much. Well it was obvious they had a thing for each but I felt it needed more time.

I'm also somewhat dissapointed that Otonashi is being perceived as the good guy in his plans. I don't think he's the bad guy but I'd definitely say this is a grey area.
Old 2010-06-05, 13:58   Link #115
kitten320

Yeh it did feel a bit too sudden, even though it was clear that something was going on especially on Yui's part, but I decided to let it slide for making it look actually lovable and nice.
Old 2010-06-05, 14:01   Link #116
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's because of the pacing. Seriously this break neck speed is the single biggest problem I've had with this anime. They should've spaced it out into a two-cour series dammit!
Old 2010-06-05, 14:03   Link #117
rejer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
By the way, if you guys have noticed, the final line of each preview often reveals something big about next episode. This time it's Yuri saying "well then, let's meet again if we get to". In addition to the line with someone saying (I can't tell who it is) that he would rather be taken out by Tenshi, it really sounds like everyone is going to disappear at once in the next episode. If that is the case, then what will the last 2 episodes be about? Smells like a huge plot twist coming up, even though that would be Maeda-like.
Well I've tried to identify who said what.
c216-Yuri, c39-Hinata, c175-Fujimaki, c170-Ooyama, c141-Noda, c160-Shiina (I think), c177-Yuri, c46-Yaoi, c144-TK, c221-Fujimaki, c192-Hinata, c178-Otonashi, c207-Fujimaki (or Noda with low probability), c281-Noda, c274-Otonashi, c280-Yuri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I've always loved Yui. I have a soft spot for Genki Girls (except for Haruhi). I'll miss her, but I think Hinata suddenly announcing his love was a bit too much. Well it was obvious they had a thing for each but I felt it needed more time.

I'm also somewhat dissapointed that Otonashi is being perceived as the good guy in his plans. I don't think he's the bad guy but I'd definitely say this is a grey area.
Probaby because he thought their time in that world was infinite and didn't want to rush things or something like that. But when he saw that she was going to disappear, he took the initiative and confessed to her. As expected the last push came from him.

Has anyone explained the reason why Hinata decided to help Otonashi? I think it's related to the events in ep 4 and ep 6.

Last edited by rejer; 2010-06-05 at 14:31.
Old 2010-06-05, 14:35   Link #118
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejer View Post
Has anyone explained the reason why Hinata decided to help Otonashi? I think it's related to the events in ep 4 and ep 6.
Hinata said in chapter three of the light novel that he likes to help others out awell, so i guess he's very similar to Otonashi.
Old 2010-06-05, 14:39   Link #119
kitten320

Looks like Yuri will be after two heads now... 3 if you count Kanade.
Old 2010-06-05, 14:45   Link #120
XGeneral2000

Man, it's episodes like this that make me think of how much potential this show has.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Angel Beats is a terrible show, but in my eyes, it is clearly suffering from a pacing problem. It's as if they're trying to fit a 24-26 episode anime into 13. There are simply too many characters, too many relationships, and too much development.

I think one of the problems is that the show is taking something of a standard Key-approach; each arc has a comedic beginning which gradually moves into drama in the last third. This was possible in Kanon (2006) or Clannad, because there was enough time and few enough characters that each arc could last at least 3-4 episodes. With only 13 episodes, however, Angel Beats has to sacrifice something. They should have cut way back on the comedy, and taken a much more serious approach to this show; considering the inherent nature of the setting and of every character, this would have been a very viable approach. Every character is there because they died in an unfulfilling way, and each has a lesson to share and a lesson to learn about that. This series is a great chance for Key to look at some darker themes that weren't present in their earlier works. It seems that the drama has gotten the shaft, however; I'm seeing too much wacky comedy and too little character development. I love Key's sense of humor, but their characters are what really drew me into their series.

I understand that there will likely be further seasons to AB. Even so, it seems that they are trying to do too much with the 13 episodes they've got for now. The show either needed to be longer from the get-go, have less comedy and more drama, or have a smaller character cast to deal with.

I don't want to get too off topic, so I'll just use this episode as an example. 30 seconds of Yui's past at the beginning, 3 minutes of Yui's resolution at the end. The rest stuffed with little more than comedic filler. And still, I think I can say I actually liked the episode. Not for any of the comedic fluff, but for the few minutes we got a real look into Yui's character. The episode was like a 6/10 for me until the ending, which boosted it to an 8/10. I really shouldn't have liked the ending; Hinata and Yui have barely had any development in their "relationship" (beyond Yui trying to kill him every 5 minutes). They don't really even have that much chemistry. The whole conclusion was crammed into a few minutes right at the end. Still, somehow, I enjoyed it. Which tells me that I would have loved it if the episode had used its time to flesh out the relationship between Hinata and Yui and make lengthen the ending "marriage" scene by a few more minutes. It seems to me that marriage and love was Yui's one true dream throughout her whole life; she could have done without the music, pro wrestling, soccer, and baseball if she could get that one dream. So why not focus more on that?

tldr; Pacing fail rant, decent episode
Closed Thread