AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-11-14, 16:29   Link #26121
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
I think what gets to me is that with regard to the anime community, I get the distressing idea that the extremists actually make up the majority, if not necessarily of viewers/fans, but of paying customers who buy the DVDs, CD, and merchandising goods. Therefore, the extremists wind up being the ones who determine policy for the rest of us. (On the other hand, one truth I have to accept as an anime fan is, since I live in the U.S., I am not even part of "the rest of us" from the producers' perspective. Any profit they make from me is strictly a bonus from their point of view; my cultural perspective and opinions of what a series "should be like" are completely irrelevant and therefore I have to take what I can get and simply avoid what I don't like. )
It's a rule with almost anything, as the Rally to Restore Sanity wanted to show, ie, that our political discussions have been hijacked by the minority extremists, while the moderate that "has real shit to do" is being ignored.

But you do bring up a good point; the extremists are the most fanatical, who will buy the figurines, the pillows, the anime cels, etc. The otaku who are simultaneously looked down upon by Japanese society, and yet counted on to turn the profit tide (although a great many normals will buy at least DVDs and go to see movies in theaters). The goal is to pander to enough demographics, while excluding as few as possible.

Which means in non-romance series(like Nanoha), you generally won't see pairings. After all, anytime you pair up major characters, you're gonna see people leave the fandom in anger; I remember a story awhile back about Nagi (from Crazy Shrine Maidens Kannagi) supposedly revealed to have had an ex-boyfriend and an implication that she might not be a virgin because of it, that caused one otaku to burn all his Kannagi merchandise in anger and videotape it (the Kannagi manga series is currently on hold due to the mangaka recovering from an unrelated health problem, supposedly unrelated to the outcry, however.)

So yes, they take note of the fanboys, and simultaneously hate them and want them. Hate them, because pairings will cause them to lose fanatics, and want them because they buy merchandise. The ideal, then, is to keep things continuously in balance, dropping hints, but never committing to a pairing. The only time you'll see pairings is at the end, generally when they have no intention of continuing things.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 17:05   Link #26122
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

And this is why there will never be something to satisfy everybody. Being squarly in group #3 I just say screw it, I'll get what I can get, when I can get it and not having any way to buy things online makes that not very often. Some people can cuddle (or burn) their figures and pillows until it kills them for all I care, as long as something decent is still produce on a regular basis people can do what the hell they want. It's when everything fall apart and the only things being produced are graphic violence and pronography when people are gonna start seeing problems.
That's the end of my rant, sorry.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 17:28   Link #26123
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
So I'm done editing that Yuunoha doujinshi, and best of all it's completely work safe so I can actually post the link here and not get into trouble for it! Hurray!!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q970497Z

I'm still not happy with that page, but there's not much more we could have done with it. Thanks go out to vic-vic for TLing as always, and thanks to Satashi for helping me get the raws.
Thanks Raiser. looks good.

Simulation against breaking Yuuno's barrier. Set on Lowest level

.page or so later.

She lost?
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 17:30   Link #26124
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
Thanks Raiser. looks good.

Simulation against breaking Yuuno's barrier. Set on Lowest level

.page or so later.

She lost?
Yep, she did lose. XD

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 17:33   Link #26125
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Because Nanoha has to be a weak little flower for manly manly Yuuno right?

Retch.

I'm not against Yuunoha but her not wearing the pants in that relationships just seems flatly OOC to me.
Old 2010-11-14, 17:43   Link #26126
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Somebody post that "I'm not your bitch... You're my bitch." thing.
Old 2010-11-14, 17:56   Link #26127
SNobleJr
\m/,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Somebody post that "I'm not your bitch... You're my bitch." thing.
You asked, and I shall deliver.

Didn't notice that line when I skimmed through the doujin, by the way. Certainly puts some Unfortunate Implications on the table...
Old 2010-11-14, 17:57   Link #26128
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Because Nanoha has to be a weak little flower for manly manly Yuuno right?

Retch.

I'm not against Yuunoha but her not wearing the pants in that relationships just seems flatly OOC to me.
Guess you forgot that the only times Yuuno's defenses were broken through was against a Starlight Breaker with a previously unknown piercing capability (meaning he could successfully block a Starlight Breaker before that) and when he was trying to contain Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate's strongest attacks at the same time, IIRC.

Nanoha being unable to break through Yuuno's shields is far from OOC, really.
Old 2010-11-14, 18:02   Link #26129
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Guess you forgot that the only times Yuuno's defenses were broken through was against a Starlight Breaker with a previously unknown piercing capability (meaning he could successfully block a Starlight Breaker before that) and when he was trying to contain Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate's strongest attacks at the same time, IIRC.

Nanoha being unable to break through Yuuno's shields is far from OOC, really.
Or, you know, when he got his shit ruined by the very first Jewel Seed monster.
Old 2010-11-14, 18:11   Link #26130
ZeroIchiNi

I would have think that Super Easy mode would have at least let Nanoha use that Piercing SLB and work.

Not being able to is something I'd expect from Very Easy mode.

Whomever programmed that simulation do not want the user to win.
Old 2010-11-14, 18:12   Link #26131
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
As far as I remember though that wasn't his barrier being broken, it was him not having the magical power to succesfully seal the jewel seed.

EDIT: the computer is a cheating bastard, isn't it?
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 18:14   Link #26132
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Technically it wasn't the first. He had reclaimed one jewel seed prior to that, and what he was doing to the jewel seed monster was trying to seal it, apparently trying to use a device that wasn't well-suited to him. And if you take the movie manga as partial canon, then Earth's mana was a bit difficult for him, too. I assume he got better later, adapting to it.

So him blocking Nanoha is very plausible. I'd see it more as a standoff tie, rather than a loss or win, though. Nanoha might not be able to break his defenses, but he doesn't have much in the way of offenses, either. Nanoha tanked Fate's Phalanx Shift with a shield, and Yuuno has better than that. ;p
Old 2010-11-14, 18:15   Link #26133
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Technically it wasn't the first. He had reclaimed one jewel seed prior to that, and what he was doing to the jewel seed monster was trying to seal it, apparently trying to use a device that wasn't well-suited to him. And if you take the movie manga as partial canon, then Earth's mana was a bit difficult for him, too. I assume he got better later, adapting to it.

So him blocking Nanoha is very plausible. I'd see it more as a standoff tie, rather than a loss or win, though. Nanoha might not be able to break his defenses, but he doesn't have much in the way of offenses, either. Nanoha tanked Fate's Phalanx Shift with a shield, and Yuuno has better than that. ;p
Yep.

*Points to when Shamal blew up the Mage trap by the Bureau*

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 18:29   Link #26134
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Yep.

*Points to when Shamal blew up the Mage trap by the Bureau*
Heh, yeah, it's interesting to note that Yuuno shielded himself, Nanoha, Fate, AND Arf from that attack which destroyed the barrier, and from which the Wolkenritter were trying to get out of the way of. The dude has some skills, even if he doesn't have much offense. I can see why they needed to toss him in the library.
Old 2010-11-14, 18:31   Link #26135
Justin_Brett

I think what the doujin implied was that Nanoha first attempted to hypothetically break through Yuuno's defenses when he put his all into them - which makes sense for all the points already put forth.

And I didn't get the impression she wasn't the one in charge here. Yuuno's the one blushing, after all.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 18:33   Link #26136
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Ahh, what could've been in StrikerS episode 12... Dieci takes her shot at the helicopter, only for the smoke to clear to reveal Yuuno... that would've been awesome.
Old 2010-11-14, 18:40   Link #26137
ZeroIchiNi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Ahh, what could've been in StrikerS episode 12... Dieci takes her shot at the helicopter, only for the smoke to clear to reveal Yuuno... that would've been awesome.
That would have been awesome and made more sense. Wasn't Dieci's blast is rank 'S'? the same rank as a SLB.
Old 2010-11-14, 19:10   Link #26138
Kaijo
Banned

I would have expected to see Shamal block it. She's much like Yuuno, but a bit more healer than tank. Would have made a nice reminder for the audience of how good she is. She did block 4 of Otto's beams later on.
Old 2010-11-14, 19:28   Link #26139
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Woah, Genzaburoh drew something that didn't have inflated breasts? And it's Yuunoha of all things?

Mind = blow

Edit: Page claim for Yuunoha!

Last edited by 00-Raiser; 2010-11-14 at 20:29.
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 19:33   Link #26140
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Poor Yuuno never has it easy, does he?

Tags
images, nanoha, nsfw