AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-02-20, 10:31   Link #1201
JleeLink
....yeah

Kinda a random thought which might of been raised but isnt it pretty unfair in battles for a person who has a personal IS fighting against someone who would have a basic stock school IS? As seen by the inter-class tournament doubles it seems everyone is fighting against each other (going off how girls wanted to pair with Ichika and Charlotte) so shouldnt everyone be using the same school IS to make it fair?
JleeLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 12:23   Link #1202
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JleeLink View Post
Kinda a random thought which might of been raised but isnt it pretty unfair in battles for a person who has a personal IS fighting against someone who would have a basic stock school IS? As seen by the inter-class tournament doubles it seems everyone is fighting against each other (going off how girls wanted to pair with Ichika and Charlotte) so shouldnt everyone be using the same school IS to make it fair?
Makes you wonder if the people with personal IS actually know how to use normal ones. Laura for example seemed to be allergic to dodging these past episodes.
Old 2011-02-20, 13:19   Link #1203
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JleeLink View Post
They're elites. Obviously, elites deserve better equipment. For lo, do not the commoners deserve the rejects from the trash heap? /sarcasm

That said though, having a personal IS may not necessarily mean that the personal IS users are going to win - take Red Flag. For years, active duty USAF pilots have been going up into the skies in 4th Gen Teen Fighters and getting their asses kicked by Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve pilots in old Cold War fighters - due to the greater skill level the oldtimers had.

I'd also think that the tourney organisers would match personal IS against personal IS - note that so far, of the 3 personal IS users we see, discounting the "two" boys, they're all in different classes...

And if a girl in a training IS can kick the ass of a personal representative, well that shows she's on the path to greater things...

Besides, look at Ichika's first fight with Cecelia. Using default settings, he was able to match her - the same default settings that training IS are set to. So it's not improbable a training IS could defeat a personal IS, especially if the person using the trainer is able to complete the OODA loop - Observe, Orient, Decide, Act - faster than the personal IS.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 05:26   Link #1204
neowind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Hayase View Post
Spoiler for Blue Haired Girl:
Spoiler for oh XD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
Spoiler for Blue Haired Girl:
ah yeah thx for the name XD
neowind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 06:13   Link #1205
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Eps 11 to resume airing tomorrow...
Finally after a week...

Source
Twitter @is_anime
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 07:43   Link #1206
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

http://animapple.blogspot.com/2011/0...dvd-sales.html
IS is selling extremely well... being out-of-stock everywhere.... Details in blog.
Old 2011-04-01, 06:07   Link #1207
neowind

haha no more blue ray copY!1 XD omg! =D
neowind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 17:45   Link #1208
Westlo
Lets be reality

Applejuice.. I really can't see this only doing 28-33k for dvd+bluray... that would be implying just 18-23k blurays being sold... I mean you look @ OreNo vol 1.. DVD did 4.7k and the Bluray did 17k... 18-23k seems like a really lowball figure.. especially if it is sold out everywhere. and looks like being 10k min for dvds...

I think 40k first week sales combined are coming up, as long as the show isn't supply constrained... scary part is I don't think this will drop off from that first volume.. Charle's is easily the most popular character in the show and those episodes are the mid point...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 21:10   Link #1209
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Sold 22k BD and about 7.8k DVD:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...p-weekly-chart
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 01:16   Link #1210
dark998

Neat, almost 30k combined. Second season here. we. go.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 04:49   Link #1211
yFSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Applejuice.. I really can't see this only doing 28-33k for dvd+bluray... that would be implying just 18-23k blurays being sold... I mean you look @ OreNo vol 1.. DVD did 4.7k and the Bluray did 17k... 18-23k seems like a really lowball figure.. especially if it is sold out everywhere. and looks like being 10k min for dvds...

I think 40k first week sales combined are coming up, as long as the show isn't supply constrained... scary part is I don't think this will drop off from that first volume.. Charle's is easily the most popular character in the show and those episodes are the mid point...
I think that's exactly what happened. The supply chain most likely was constrained, causing a drop in numbers this week.

IS Volume 1 DVD consistently beat the Hetalia release, yet it was only 7.8k. It should have been around 10k, at least. I'm guessing it'll catch up within the next few weeks, but we won't hear about it, except from unofficial sources.

Same with the BDs. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a 9k or more bump next week, like K-ON!! Volume 9.
yFSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 05:03   Link #1212
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

^ So, do I win for guessing correct total CD sales for DVD/BD? :P (Ignore DVD sales estimation since that '10,000 confirmed' thing was not my word but from 2ch. u.u~~)

30,000 is already overkill, though. That was the general estimation for sales of Madoka Magica around its 4~5th episode .
Old 2011-04-06, 07:35   Link #1213
Westlo
Lets be reality

Way too big a drop off from Hetalia Vol 4 to 5, those drops generally occur much earlier than that, if Hetalia was supply constrained I don't see how IS wasn't. I expect a 10k combined second week.

Also disagree with your article on IS selling apple.

The animation is better than the LN part... Most novel readers seem to lament the lack of explanation for simple things, which than create plot holes that don't exist (The probe incident @ the end of Episode 3) as well as making the MC look stupidly dense. I also think they don't appreciate the killing of a back story for Celicia which makes her predictable "fall in love with the MC" thing even worse.

Quote:
Proof? Just see how much of sales for IS increased right after the airing of IS. It is now marking one of the most successful Light Novel, and before animation, it wasn't.
IS Vol 6 sold 40k opening week before the anime aired, that's generally pretty good for a typical otaku light novel. Most LN's won't sell better than that prior to an anime in the first place unless they have a famous author. Like how Bakemonogatari was popular as a novel due to Nisio's debut series in Zaregoto, which until the Bake anime was his most popular novel series.

Gosick Vol 7 sold 19k, Chrome Shelled Regios which had an anime sold 39k in its first two weeks for Vol 17, Golden Time Vol 2 the next series from the Toradora author did 23k, Zero no Tsukaima Vol 20 did 45k and that has had 3 anime series. Spice and Wolf with 2 anime series did 39.5k for its 16th and I believe final volume.

You're really low-balling the popularity of the light novel series prior to the anime, from what I've seen Accel World is one of the better selling LN series around that hasn't been turned into an anime and that did 41k for Vol 7. IS, Accel, or even the upcoming Hidan no Aria are hardly mainstream hits but seem to be well known in the LN reading otaku circles. Obviously the anime caused a sky rocket in novel sales, but lets not act like companies aren't expecting this in the first palce when they decide in what to make as an anime. Only Baka Test has failed to convert a massive increase in novel sales into great dvd/bd sales. Bake, Index, OreNo, DRR and now IS have had multiple volumes in the top 10 LN charts while the anime aired and gone on to sell really well. Baka Test dominated novel charts but sold shit as an anime.

Also the luck and timing part is pretty funny. I like how you spin the success of IS into being a byproduct of the show you worship. The LNs drastically increased in sales before Madoka even got to episode 3, nice fan-fiction.

Weekly Light Novel Ranking for Jan 3 - 9
*1, 55,458 1,634,636 Moshidora
*2, 20,507 *,152,182 Kabukimonogatari
*6, 11,378 *,*63,609 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
*8, *9,622 *,*60,706 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.2
*9, *8,292 *,*58,613 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.3

+

Weekly Light Novel Ranking for Jan 10 - 16
*5, 14,379 *,*77,988 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
*6, 13,969 *,*74,675 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.2
*7, 13,065 *,*71,678 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.3
10, 12,205 *,*71,221 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.4
11, 11,428 *,*71,072 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.5

When did Madoka Episode 3 actually air? The 20th? Based on the history of Bake, OreNo, DRR, Index those LN sales already guarantee big sales for IS, Sure it could've done a Baka Test.. but IIRC IS was on track for 10k @ Episode 3, and that's not taking into account the massive boosts some series get midway and near the end, see Star Driver and Milky Holmes from Fall 2010.

As for selling in a weak season.. there was no real big seller of Winter 09 or Summer 10, outside of DRR for Winter 10 and Bake for Summer 09 there was no other big sellers. I know you love Madoka and SHAFT, but cut the bullshit please. You might want to remember that everything has anti-threads and haters on 2ch as well. It will be "cool" to "hate" on Madoka on 2ch in a few months time if it isn't already....

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-04-06 at 07:51.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 07:17   Link #1214
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Why Infinite Stratos sells? - Analysis for the success of IS

One of the greatest question for Gaijin world that seems to be experiencing is ridiculous popularity of Infinite Stratos.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000-mantan-ent

and, it happened. BD sales of Infinite Stratos sell total 22,000 (godly, even beating Oreno Imouto), marking 6th animation series to be listed 1st place in Oricon chart followed by Bakemonogatari, Macross F, K-On, Code Geass and Angel Beats. Including DVD sales of 7,794, it is almost 30,000 sales.

I saw a lot of people blaming Japan's bad taste. However, if you actually read 2ch, you will find how much Japanese otakus are actually in the same boat as us, questioning 'why this thing sells this much?'. Even for them, 30,000 is a bit over-kill. "IS is absurd, ridiculous, moe-fested, doesn't make any sense, polluted by cliche+forgettable characters, and has absolutely no merit of being unique, interesting series".

The answer is - rather complex.

-------------------

1. POWER OF MEDIA MIX

Cover of IS volume 1

Infinite Stratos was not the most popular light novel. It is well known for being...shit. It has even less sense than its adapted animation. However, it was selected as the first star of MF Bunko x TBS animation project line up.

The most interesting thing is that studio '8-bits' was responsible for animating this. It's none other than 'MACROSS ANIMATION TEAM'. They have one of the most advanced CG tool kits and members who are highly experienced in Mecha. This alone improved quality of animation a lot and other moe-factors also increased animation's popularity.

The point is, about making animation 'BETTER THAN ORIGINAL NOVEL'. That's the key of success.

Think about it. It is obvious that among those original light novel readers, there must be pretty decent amount of fans for IS. As Shinbo Akiyuki, the boss main director of Shaft, said, the most important thing when creating animation from the original work, the 1st priority is making it a series that 'every fan of original can satisfy'. This was part of reason why Bakemonogatari could achieve ridiculous success, and it is also case for Infinite Stratos. Animation was better than novel that you are fan of, so there is no reason for them preventing from purchasing BD/DVD. If it can satisfy 'entire' population of original fans, than success is guaranteed.

Proof? Just see how much of sales for IS increased right after the airing of IS. It is now marking one of the most successful Light Novel, and before animation, it wasn't.

2. Epitome of cliche - no other animation can be more generic than this.

As you know well, IS has no content. Even fans, even those who were crazy enough to buy its CD also know that. It is following every single cliche that traditional Harem series always head, and quality as a readable story is zero, does not exist. What is left is characters that are so forgettable and only works as a matter of self-arouse or moemoe-kyun, and useless + meaningless mecha suit fighting. For me, it was the single most generic animation I've seen this year.

Wait, it actually works. Yes, 'THE MOST GENERIC SERIES IN EXISTENCE'. That's where the second selling point comes from.

IS is something that you throw every single expectation for it to black-hole, and enjoy the series without thinking a single thing. Story doesn't matter, cliche doesn't matter. IS was extremely 'eye-pleasing', supported by unnecessarily brilliant staffs involved, uselessly superb animation and meaninglessly excellent voice actress. IS shows how one series can achieve maximum success without having any content, but solely bases its merits on 'appearance quality'.

3. LUCK and TIMING - read winter season chart again -

Madoka hate Infinite Stratos

Winter 2010/11 was lacking quality animations. Practically, the single memorable + groundbreaking + quality series that did not relied on cliche and moe was Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, which will be marking on the history of anime for a long time, anyway. All the other animations were shit, including IS.

The last important quality for the success for IS is, the 'Perfect Timing and Luck'.

Infinite Stratos was, extremely lucky, in more than one ways. First, Madoka's popularity actually affected Infinite Stratos in positive ways. People originally wanted Madoka to be good/moemoe cute girl magical girl series, but ended up getting serious eye-rape with endless despair and hopelessness. (kill urobuchi!) People needed something to 'cure' their eyes from shock, and they found, eye-pleasing + well-animated + moe-moe-kyun animation. It was perfect for purifying their eyes from 24 minutes of panic and complete absorption to amazing series called Madoka Magica. Not only that, all the other animations were even more unbearable than IS, there was no-other substitution for fans anyway.

Even more lucky thing for IS is, delay of Madoka Magica BD/DVD release. A lot of people who were eagerly waiting to see their favourite mahou shoujo in HD died in despair again. Thus, (...) it seems that IS became substitution to feel in their empty space of Madoka Magica, and increased sales of IS to even more ridiculous level. If both released CD during the same month, sales of 30,000 never happened.

This might sound stupid, but it is perfectly reasonable knowing how social psychology works for consumers. IS, was definitely lucky.

------------------------

It went a bit long, but here are my three key explanation for the success of Infinite stratos;
Superior adaptation that makes all original LN fans to buy
As generic as possible, as eye-pleasing as possible
Luck and timing created by circumstance
Although I'm no expertise with business, success of IS is something I want to call 'irregular'. There is something seriously wrong about it, it definitely has one or more reason other than just being moe, otaku pandering series.

Last edited by Xero8420; 2011-04-07 at 19:35.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 10:27   Link #1215
kramerica

Not to mention the fiasco about withholding the final Madoka episodes from airing.

I think #3 contributed more than the other 2. IMO it was just executed properly. You are right though in that the plot isn't really there. The first season did not have any real antagonists for our hero + harem to fight off, just things that went out of control and had to quell. So IS is more like a slice-of-life harem. Instead of moe things happening, there's tons of jelly going around.

And I needed a jelly fix, so I liked it :P

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 15:41   Link #1216
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

Actually, if you tracked the numbers on Amaran, IS selling at this level is actually pretty solid.

During the same period that Madoka was owning the preorder lists, Infinite Stratos was head and shoulders above the rest of the competition this season at the same time.

A lot of Japanese expected for this show to reach 22k sold in the first week just through those numbers alone. And this was way before Madoka getting sold late or anything after that occurred. And this is why many Japanese are expecting to see Madoka sell around the 60k level after seeing their calculations proven correct.

So even if you're going by Infinite Stratos not being deep enough, remember that K-ON sold 40k-50k without it being deep at all. It was pure moe, and about cute girls doing cute things. (Just being deep and unique does not mean you're going to sell as we've seen before.)

In IS, it's about cute girls doing cute things for a guy they like. This is basically slice of life with powersuits attached. And apparently, cute girls doing cute things for some reason sells well. The Japanese have also attributed this to the moe-pig crowd.

I'm also baffled by this sales mark.

The only thing that the animation had on the LN is that it was animated and had better character designs for the "my waifu" crowd to drool on.

The number 3 assumption is too strong an assumption, especially since people have been expecting this show to sell over 20k units way before this happened due to the pre-order rate it had. It just sold 8000 units more than expected.

You're not just going to buy something you don't like. If it's shit to you, you're not going to buy it. Period. If it's shit as well, then you'd buy the other pieces of shit instead that you'd like more. So even that argument doesn't really pan out. If people always bought just for the sake of buying, then every season, we'd always get something that sold as much as Infinite Stratos has when another series actually outpaced it in the pre-order rate. But we don't.

So there's something else to this that we aren't seeing.
Old 2011-04-07, 15:55   Link #1217
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Another reason why this series worked so well was airtime slot, Isekai had an airslot in a Pay-Per-View channel which could limit the amount of viewers who don't have knowledge of the internet streams. IS was simply in normal airtime and paired with Madoka Magicka.

Well props to IS being the first Mecha Harem to take off.
Old 2011-04-07, 20:08   Link #1218
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Even if the anime sucks bad, then why are they selling so impressively good? That's the question. I guess 8-bit has some sort of a tricks or something in the last season, though they were unexpected that IS was working so well, even though Madoka is way better than IS in every single aspect. I remembered someone in a certain sub-forum section in the anime section here "bashed" IS by comparing it. But still, when it come to BD sales, it's like... they really don't get it at all. And so do us.

I guess #3 is the strong reason behind their success. See that Madoka "hates" IS? It is probably not that they look down or underestimated IS since Madoka is believed to be "superior" than any other animes in that season, but ended up doing not so good in popularity. All of those serious mind-rape stuffs which are mainly about the negative atmospheres in Madoka, causes some people felt pale and shaken till they felt like they could have to use a drink. For them, IS is the only place for them to "get some drinks and goofing around" as their "medicine".

And then again, because of IS unpredictable popularity, along with the statements above; It has caused Madoka a few drawbacks. BD/DVD sales delayed, final episode got delayed and most of all, the HD version "died in despair".

Man, something tells me that IS has "ruined" Madoka's business. Because of this, Madoka forced to 'withdrawn' for a set-back due to the one other anime's "ridiculous and unpredictable reputation" caused their failing to meet the fans' desires. At that rate, IS took/stole the opportunity to substitute Madoka's place and boost the BD/DVD sales even more. I guess Madoka has been bound to be upset.

Sorry if I've offended, but this is believed to be true in my assumption.

Last edited by Xero8420; 2011-04-07 at 20:25.
Old 2011-04-07, 20:36   Link #1219
kramerica

Being paired with other good shows helps too. Way back when, my thursday night TV was Seinfeld, then Friends, then ER. I only watched Sein, and then got introduced to Friends and ER later.

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 21:41   Link #1220
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
Being paired with other good shows helps too. Way back when, my thursday night TV was Seinfeld, then Friends, then ER. I only watched Sein, and then got introduced to Friends and ER later.
Yeah, you got the point. I was almost about to say this. Like I said, after they've watched Madoka and felt like they want to get some drink for a "cure", IS is the perfect place for them to look for a bliss in order to relief themselves. Probably both Madoka and IS were on air in the same day, I guess. So that means IS was very lucky for finding a strategic day to air the anime to attract viewers.

Well, IS and Madoka are tend to be a great combination after all.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, mecha, romance, school life, sci-fi, shounen, stupid protagonist