AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-03-30, 12:08   Link #1
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Who do you think is the most well written protagonist in gundam history?

I was wondering other peoples opinons. state who and why you think so, please avoid stuff like so and so sucked, or so and so ruled. If you think so please be civil about it.

I have a few i'd like to throw down on the table.

kou uraki. He starts out as a rookie, even making rookie mistakes, but he sort of matures into an ace, and molds differently.

As of right now, he's my only choice.
Old 2006-03-30, 16:18   Link #2
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
First person who says Kira Yamato gets a public decapitation.

I'd say Garoad Ran from Gundam X. He starts out as a goofie rookie who has a lot to learn about the workings of the world, then grows and becomes more mature as he experiences the war and the way the world works.
Old 2006-03-30, 16:21   Link #3
Gattzu
Silent but Awesome

Sorry, but in what Gundam show doesnt (not including 08th MS team and G-Gundam) show a rookie -> super duper ace pilot.

btw stop with Kira = God, cos as i rememberd it Amuro kicked ass with everything, except Char.
Gattzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 16:30   Link #4
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattzu
Sorry, but in what Gundam show doesnt (not including 08th MS team and G-Gundam) show a rookie -> super duper ace pilot.
GSD. Shinn started out as a great pilot. (remember that he took on three Gundams at once at the beginning of the series and did pretty good for a bit) He just got better. And 0080. And Wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattzu
btw stop with Kira = God, cos as i rememberd it Amuro kicked ass with everything, except Char.
Okay, it seems you are misinterpreting me. (don't know how you could, from my comment above) Kira is not god.
Old 2006-03-30, 16:47   Link #5
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

I think he meant how someone has to run their mouth about Kira = god, hax, whatever the f*ck in EVERY THREAD THAT EVEN MENTIONS DESTINY. It's old, in fact it's been old for a while and you guys ought to knock it off.

In fact I will say that I think Kira is the most well written protagonist in Gundam history. My opinion to say so, and like some puny threat by a kid on a forum is going to keep me from speaking my mind. gg...
Old 2006-03-30, 16:54   Link #6
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Bernie Wiseman from War in a Pocket, he was by far the most well written and the most believable and human protagonist ever potrayed in a Gundam series.

Garroad Ran from Gundam X comes quite high too as his development throughout the series was by far the most noticeable and completely gradual. Even when he got his upgraded units he still proved he had alot to learn and was far from decimating the battlefield.

Loran Cehack comes off as another interesting and likeable character. He was full of conflict but unlike most characters in the other series he was set and followed through with his own convictions.

I think its a GOOD idea if you ban SEED and S-Destiny charas from this thread....simply because everytime they're brought up there will be another arguement. So quite frankly Shinn, Athrun and Kira should be barred unless you want this to go downhill.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 16:56   Link #7
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Hero-type protagonists are boring.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 18:17   Link #8
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Garrod is pretty good too, because he starts off like judau (Zz) he does however get stronger and serious about it all.
Old 2006-03-30, 19:58   Link #9
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Quote:
Hero-type protagonists are boring.
yes, we all like pathetic heroes like Shinji Ikari XD

j/k, im not bashing you.

to OP, I wanna say Domon for some reason. aggressive character, but doesnt quite cross the a$$hole borderline like that GSD character.

shiro, just because he is grunt power.
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 20:27   Link #10
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
I think he meant how someone has to run their mouth about Kira = god, hax, whatever the f*ck in EVERY THREAD THAT EVEN MENTIONS DESTINY. It's old, in fact it's been old for a while and you guys ought to knock it off.

In fact I will say that I think Kira is the most well written protagonist in Gundam history. My opinion to say so, and like some puny threat by a kid on a forum is going to keep me from speaking my mind. gg...
a) I'm not a kid. b) Kira's one-dimensionality (the scene where Kira is "doubting" his actions was incredibly shallow, and came off as the staff's pathetic attempt to try and deepen his character, the fact that there was only that one scene of his "doubts" made it even more shallow) is incredibly contradictory to your belief. c) Yes it's your opinion, but instead of saying "Oh, this character rules!" or anything like that, you should try some explanation when you go saying that on a forum, so you don't sound like a fanboy. And while it may be old, that certainly doesn't seem to stop the occasional fanboy from ranting about GSD's "superiority."

Other characters I think are well-written:

Loran Cehack: As the first Gundam protagonist who had to choose his loyalties in the war, he was very decisive and determined in his choices, despite all kinds of stuff happening and alliances and team-ups flying all over the place.

Amuro Rey: A great depiction of what happens when a teenager is thrown into a war as a pilot. He was passionate and got scared when he fought enemies (before he got experience).
Old 2006-03-30, 21:18   Link #11
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Shiro Amada, 08th MS Team.

Just a grunt doing the dirty work, until he finds someone he loves..
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 21:22   Link #12
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
Shiro Amada, 08th MS Team.

Just a grunt doing the dirty work, until he finds someone he loves..
Good one.

For some less-major protagonists, I think Mwu La Flaga, Bright Noa and Bright Noa were well-written. Mwu because he's always so lax and kicks @$$, and Bright because he's an uber-commander who started off as an easy-to-excite newbie who grew to be a famous commander.
Old 2006-03-30, 21:36   Link #13
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
yes, we all like pathetic heroes like Shinji Ikari XD
I hate Shinji as much as I hate Kira. :|
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 21:37   Link #14
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome
>.> >.> >.> >.>
Old 2006-03-30, 21:51   Link #15
Panon

Garrod, by a considerable margin over the rest in my opinion.

The movie version of Kamille should probably get an honorary mention though, since he's so vastly improved over his tv counterpart.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 22:12   Link #16
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome

But Shinji is more likely to sex0rz misato, So Shinji wins.
Old 2006-03-30, 22:58   Link #17
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
But Shinji is more likely to sex0rz misato, So Shinji wins.
Shinji is only likely to sex0rz Misato. Kira had sex0rz with Fllay. Kira wins
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 23:22   Link #18
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
Shinji is only likely to sex0rz Misato. Kira had sex0rz with Fllay. Kira wins

But fllay was a cold bitch who only sex0rzed him to manipulate Kira into fufill her wish of killing Coordinators.

Shinji sex0rzing Misato would be out of real feelings, not evil cold hearted manipulative reasons.
Old 2006-03-30, 23:25   Link #19
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Seriously, enough with the Kira hate. Even Kira fanboys (( like me )) know that he's far from the best and the worst (( in everything )), so why must the conception that Kira is well-written gets chucked into the factor here? Even Kira in the novels aren't exactly that well written compared to guys like Amuro who had twice the amount of novels he has.

On the topic on the most well written, I'd say Amuro in BC and Belthorchika at a close second. It really struck to me how well the character was actually put into words rather than a movie. And people saying Belthorcika's a bitch really need to read the novel to shut their mouths.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 00:32   Link #20
Scorch

I have to second Bernie. He was much more believable than most protagonists.

I also think that Char during Zeta was very well written, although CCA damaged that. During Zeta he managed to be convincingly flawed without being crazy. We watch as his ideals more or less get stomped all over, and he becomes quite a broken man at the end.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote