AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass R2 Series Rating
Perfect 10 365 44.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 199 24.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 92 11.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 76 9.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 31 3.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 20 2.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 0.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 1.72%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-05-26, 01:16   Link #1121
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
In defense of Gino he was less a character and more an extra gun.

Lelouch has Suzaku, and Jeremiah? Well Kallen matches Suzaku perfectly, and even though Anya and Gino have never accomplished anything of worth (did they even win a battle? They can pick up the slack a little bit.

Though I will point out that Gino's comments are so idiotic that their funny.

Also Britannia has a hell of a lot more in common with Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, then renaissance Europe.
Well even then: are you really gonna condemn everybody from Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan to hell? (though I'm still not sure if Renaissance Europe didn't have genocide either.)
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 01:34   Link #1122
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Well even then: are you really gonna condemn everybody from Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan to hell? (though I'm still not sure if Renaissance Europe didn't have genocide either.)
Europe had the occasional genocide (The first crusades for example) but nothing like Britannia which has more in common with Imperial Japan.

Would I condemn all the people as evil? No, but I would condemn people who want it to stay the same as racist bastards.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 01:49   Link #1123
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Europe had the occasional genocide (The first crusades for example) but nothing like Britannia which has more in common with Imperial Japan.

Would I condemn all the people as evil? No, but I would condemn people who want it to stay the same as racist bastards.
Well, that's just it. After an event as atrocious as genocide you can't hunt down and try ever single person that had a hand in it. After WWII they had the Nuremburg Trials for the top Nazi officers, but not much beyond that (to my knowledge). I'd say most Nazi foot soldiers got off scott free, but you're still free to think what you want about them.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 02:31   Link #1124
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
(Gino hardly has any, I'm almost amazed he can stir up this much of a reaction.)
While I do agree that Gino was more or less useless, I do think there would be a lot less hatred for his character if the CluClu fans hadn't tried to pair him off with Kallen, which really set off the KaLulu fans. From my memory, the hatred of his character hadn't really started until that very moment on this board.

That's the only real reason he does stir up such a reaction.
Old 2009-05-26, 02:36   Link #1125
Nobodyman9
Banned

Gino: The little Code Geass character that could...

drive us all insane.
Old 2009-05-26, 02:49   Link #1126
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Well, that's just it. After an event as atrocious as genocide you can't hunt down and try ever single person that had a hand in it. After WWII they had the Nuremburg Trials for the top Nazi officers, but not much beyond that (to my knowledge). I'd say most Nazi foot soldiers got off scott free, but you're still free to think what you want about them.
I mean condemn people as bad, if we tried to execute every racist Britannian their would be like 100 people left.
Old 2009-05-26, 03:02   Link #1127
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
I mean condemn people as bad, if we tried to execute every racist Britannian their would be like 100 people left.
By condemn you mean hate, despise, or judge them as racist? I never denied or argued against that. As I said, you're free to think of them what you want.
Old 2009-05-26, 03:08   Link #1128
Charred Knight

That's right, its kind of hard to see any Britannian as sympathetic when you never see anything good from the normal soldiers. From everything we have seen, the common soldier is as racist or even more racist than the nobles.
Old 2009-05-26, 06:56   Link #1129
Levy
differently sober

If Lloyd and Cécile are mostl likely an exception, one might look at the Glaston Knights to have a less extreme image of the average Britannia army. They are shown to respect the japanese although fighting them (Guilford in Narita's battle praises the JLF fighters, and later on he was expressing concern toward the civilians, IIRC...) and Darlton is shown negotiating with Kirihara when Euphie announced the SAZ. It might be a small thing, but this means that genocide-fanatism and racisma are definitely not the one and only way Britannia knows.

On a side not, it's amusing that our little useless nation is always forgotten when it comes to blame someone for war crimes during WWII. Could it be that we surredered in the middle of the war and fight the civil war by the side of the allies? I don't know...
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 21:11   Link #1130
GundamFan0083

An excellent series IMHO. 9 out of 10.

Very artistic in many ways and it reminds me of Gundam (of course ) with all the plot twists, character "deaths," and other fun Sunrise stuff I've come to enjoy over the years.

I love the ending.
For me it both ends the story and leaves the possibility open for more (like many of the classic anime such as Gundam 0079, Space Battleship Yamato, Macross, and others) which for me at least upgrades Geass to the level of an epic story.

I enjoyed the CLAMP style of characters and mecha and the whole metaphysical side of Code Geass makes it stand alone from most other "robot-series" of anime (well except for Evangelion, but that's in a class all its own ).

Great series...could even be the next Gundam
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 21:13   Link #1131
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
For some reason, I doubt it. But you do have a point...

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 22:05   Link #1132
GundamFan0083

Well there was Char's Counterattack now we have a manga called Suzaku of the Counterattack.

Who knows maybe the next anime in this series will be;

Code Geass: L2 Memories, the last Blitz of Zero
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 15:15   Link #1133
eternal_bliss

The first season was amazing, the second was less so. I always though that was due to the timeslot change and all that. Everything was just so rushed and so many loose ends. I'd give it an 8/10 for entertainment value but critically, only a 5/10.

With that said though, the ending broke my heart. Lelouch will forever be remembered as the last tyrant of Britannia with only a select few knowing his true intentions. I'm glad Kallen figured it out at the end and forgave him. I really hoped that somehow Nunnally told Cornelia and the rest of the cast.
eternal_bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 02:34   Link #1134
FruitsPunchSamurai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_bliss View Post
The first season was amazing, the second was less so. I always though that was due to the timeslot change and all that. Everything was just so rushed and so many loose ends. I'd give it an 8/10 for entertainment value but critically, only a 5/10.

With that said though, the ending broke my heart. Lelouch will forever be remembered as the last tyrant of Britannia with only a select few knowing his true intentions. I'm glad Kallen figured it out at the end and forgave him. I really hoped that somehow Nunnally told Cornelia and the rest of the cast.
I doubt they'd care though to the world and her Lelouch was a monster that destroyed Britannia's nobles and policies and above all else the family it's best that Nunnally won't tell since it would hardly change anyone's opinion of him towards the end (which he wanted) what's most important is that the people that Lelouch hold dear t his heart knew he wasn't a complete monster and was the same caring soul he left behind and in the end he gave them the future he desired for from the start.
FruitsPunchSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 02:23   Link #1135
Xander

I guess eternal_bliss gave a relatively fair score and appropriate explanations for it, although I do find it difficult to be exclusively critical of something primarily produced in order to entertain people, which is what anime as a whole is supposed to be, while at the same time artificially extracting any entertainment value from it. It's a valid abstract intellectual operation, all the same, just more artificial than realistic.

As for loose ends, my opinion varies there as well, since I consider some to be far less important to the story than others and a few, like C.C.'s name, don't really count as truly "loose" when there's an arguable purpose behind the way things turned out. I think knowing C.C.'s name is really just a matter of viewer satisfaction due to curiosity for trivia at this point, not a requirement of the story. This is also partially true about, say, stuff like the much demanded origins of Geass, which would have made the tale feel more cohesive but wasn't really the point.

One final thing I would add is that the first season, despite its objective superiority over the second, wasn't exactly free of rushes, loose ends and other flaws as well. I am still amused by how often those are rolled back outside of public view because then R2 looks even worse than it may in fact be. In several ways, both seasons have the same core issues, good and bad, the main inherent difference being execution quality.

You'd think my score would be higher than 8/10 or something, reading this, but nope...it's actually a 7/10.

I just arrive at that score through a different reasoning, both more and less demanding.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 23:52   Link #1136
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_bliss View Post

Somebody has obviously been reading that crummy AnimeOtaku blog.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 07:24   Link #1137
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Somebody has obviously been reading that crummy AnimeOtaku blog.
Yes, clearly people can't actually get their own opinions but have to follow the opinions of a blog.

Look I hate Code Geass R2 well before you showed me AnimeOtaku and frankly I have never even read their opinion on Code Geass.

It's just that theirs a clear difference in quality between the two seasons.
Old 2009-06-02, 15:28   Link #1138
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Look I hate Code Geass R2 well before you showed me AnimeOtaku.
Yeah I know......we all know.......and yet you're still here telling us a year after the fact, it's uncanny isn't it?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 00:02   Link #1139
sinangag

impressive

The plot is really great. It talks about us people as human beings, and why global unity is so hard to attain.

****possible spoiler****

It turns out Lelouch and Nunnally had the same goal in the end, to centralize the hatred of the world. But Lelouch took the responsibility away from Nunnally. (good boy)
sinangag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 20:57   Link #1140
Dyllani

Code Geass was one of my favorite shows. I really liked Season 1. Season 2 was a bit iffy.

There were some interesting characters, some I liked, some I didn't.

I couldn't stand the title character. His character type, is one that I would normally like. He's a smart kid out for revenge. At the same time, he had layers. He loved and cherished his sister (the one that came form his mother at least). He walked the line between caring human being and ruthless leader. Yet, somehow, almost everything he did annoyed me. He placed his desire for revenge above Nunnally, which would have been find if i though he really wanted to help anyone. For two seasons, I watched and hoped in vain that one of his "wicked " siblings would get the honor of murdering him while he begged for mercy. To me, Lelouch was an annoying brat with daddy issues. I never once believed, that Lelouch's rebellion was about anything more than him punishing Charles for letting Marriane die. Even after the super-geass-god-wishing-scene went down, I still didn't buy that he gave a damn about anything other than himself and his feelings. He had to fix things with his requiem. "Let's kill a bunch of people, make the world mad, if anyone gets in the way of my great plan, I'll mind rape them. I'm so smart, so much better than daddy, yeah me, I'm sacrificing myself for peace." Give me a break, he was just as retarded as Charles, Schniezel and every other idiot with a grand plan. I couldn't stand him at all.

Suzaku. I liked him for a couple of episodes. R1 Suzaku was an odd individual. A walking contradiction. Sometimes, you could kinda see, maybe, why he did certain things, kinda, but he was still a mess. Then he lost his woman, so I gave him a pass. I thought that R2 Knight of Seven Suzaku had promise. He was in a position of power. He had revenge on the brain, but it never really went anywhere. And by the time I met smug Knight of Zero Suzaku, I just wanted him dead.

Kallen, without a doubt, was the one character I never liked even in the slightest. she brought nothing to the series. Heck, I like racist Nina more than her.

Everyone eles were good. I liked Schniezel and Cornelia. I went back and forth on Euphemia. Toudou was great. Nunnally was a bit dull. I liked Ashford academy in general. The Rounds. Lloyd and Cecile were my faves. Best characters, IMO. Geass had a great cast. I wished they were able to explore more of those of characters history. The Rashata/Llyod Cecile stuff. More in dept look at the Royal family. How Lelouch and Nun and the other royals grew up, but what we got was alright.

The plot was good in the first season. Some missteps, that guy who was obsess with C.C. and Suzaku's wishy-washyness. Still it was great.

The second season was not as good. I could have done without the Anya/Marianne twist. She should have stayed dead. Be a great mom, whatever. They could have said Charles loved Marianne decided end his stupid plan, V.V. killed her, and Charles went nuts with his destroying lies nonsense. Schniezel turned into the a looney-toon crazy-pants for no apparent reason. Why couldn't Schniezel be the opposite his his father/brother, just a smart rational (manipulative) guy with a not so over the top plan for peace? The knight of 4 being killed 2 second after her debut, that irked me for some reason and lots of other stuff.

R1 gets 9 out of 10
R2 6 out of 10

Overall Enjoyment, 10 out of 10
Dyllani is offline   Reply With Quote