AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-28, 14:45   Link #1
wwevijay

Powerful Anime - Like Mushishi

I saw Mushishi and I was wowed. It is probably the most creative and powerful anime. That got me thinking, are there any other animes that are powerful? Or anything close to Mushishi?
Old 2008-03-28, 14:51   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Kino's Journey, Wolf and Spice, and Haibane Renmei would all be right up your alley.
Old 2008-03-29, 03:12   Link #3
night train

I would suggest Monster. It's a 70+ episodes but very entertaining.
Old 2008-03-29, 03:43   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I would definitely second Kino's Jouney and Haibane Renmei, even though they're probably more confusing than Mushishi. For more straightforward anime that I think are powerful, try Manabi Straight! and Saikano.
Old 2008-03-29, 04:01   Link #5
jedinat

I'll third Kino and Haibane.

And I need to add something...something...umm, how bout The Twelve Kingdoms. Powerful in an epic sweeping-fantasy sort of way.

I do undestand what you mean with Mushishi. Each episode leaves you with this sort of drained feeling, like it has hit you in some vital place and you've just got take breather... it's one of my fav anime, yet I couldn't just marathon the episodes like every other anime I loved.
Old 2008-03-29, 06:25   Link #6
Arkuatic

Deathnote pretty epic
Utawarerumono bit of warmth and blood
Old 2008-03-29, 21:11   Link #7
negativeone

Well Ergo proxy gets you thinking
Mononoke and mushishsi deal with the same sort of theme but this is just a bit darker
i fourth kino's journey and haibane renmie
Old 2008-04-03, 01:44   Link #8
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Kino's Journey ( Very similar to mushishi in many ways. )
Haibane
Serial Experiments Lain.
xXx Holic ( seriously )
Mokke ( I personally like to call Mokke "Mushishi lite" )
Ergo Proxy
TEHXNOLYZE ( If you can stomach it )
Old 2008-04-03, 02:49   Link #9
Moonbase

I'll, what, 6th Haibane Renmei.
Old 2008-04-03, 12:01   Link #10
sothis

Now, everyone has mentioned the other intelligent anime out there (Kino, Haibane, etc) - but since you specifically said you were interested in powerful and not necessarily ones that are exactly like Mushishi, I have two to offer that are by far in the category of most epic anime I've seen (and epic to me = powerful)

The first is Hi no Tori (US release: Phoenix). If Nosanninwa wanders in here he'll agree with me on this. Very, very epic and powerful.

And second, I recently watched something which is the FIRST THING EVER I can recommend with Hi no Tori: Space Fantasia 2001 Nights. It's here on suki, and is incredibly epic... especially if you are interested in realistic space anime. I wrote a review here for it if you are interested.
Old 2008-04-03, 15:25   Link #11
Moonbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis View Post
Now, everyone has mentioned the other intelligent anime out there (Kino, Haibane, etc) - but since you specifically said you were interested in powerful and not necessarily ones that are exactly like Mushishi, I have two to offer that are by far in the category of most epic anime I've seen (and epic to me = powerful)

The first is Hi no Tori (US release: Phoenix). If Nosanninwa wanders in here he'll agree with me on this. Very, very epic and powerful.

And second, I recently watched something which is the FIRST THING EVER I can recommend with Hi no Tori: Space Fantasia 2001 Nights. It's here on suki, and is incredibly epic... especially if you are interested in realistic space anime. I wrote a review here for it if you are interested.
Heh, thanks for these, actually. I always meant to watch Hi no Tori but it kept slipping my mind. Space Fantasia 2001 Nights also seems right up my alley.
Old 2008-04-03, 16:03   Link #12
deltakano
1つの愛

Heroic Age sounds similar to Space Fantasia 2001 Nights.
Old 2008-04-03, 19:16   Link #13
Z3120

Angry

Maybe not what you're looking for but I'd rate these series as ones I've gotten heavy, lasting impressions from.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Hajime no Ippo. I thought it was pretty powerful - great cast of characters, a simple but charming underdog story, a very down-to-earth anime as possibly the best sports anime adaptations I've seen (I not really a fan of Prince of Tennis) and I love the music used in the series if it means anything to you (I'd rate the music in Hikaru no Go as better in sports anime if you consider Go a sport). I've seen Slam Dunk before, but experiencing both the turbulent and bright moments of Ippo's journey nailed it home for me.

Dennou Coil was as close to Mushishi that I've encountered in terms of creativity and a lasting impression similar to the one I got from Bokurano and Mushishi of course.

Edit: What the... I have no idea how that unhappy smiley icon got there.
Old 2008-04-03, 22:35   Link #14
blewin

another anime that you might like is The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo (alternate title, The Third: the girl with the blue eye). It's similar in evoking powerful emotions and in its appreciation of nature.
Old 2011-11-17, 00:50   Link #15
nosef

I'm replying to a very old thread, but w/e I don't care. Other people may see this, so I'm going to list a few.

1. Bartender- Relaxing... Definitely a lot like Mushishi I loved this anime a ton, one of my most favorite anime of all time.

2. Gallery Fake- More comedic, but again like Mushishi as well. Revolves around a man who was a professional courier or a famous art museum, but was fired because of reasons unknown, now he owns a Gallery that is composed of "fake" art and deals with the black market.

3. Golgo 13- A lot more action, about an international assassin who accepts jobs from anyone.

Why these three?

Well for starters they follow the same plot as this: 1 man who is a complete professional in their job and well known throughout the earth as a "legend" of some sort. They all deal with helping people and changing their lives [Bartender through cocktails, Gallery Fake through art, and Golgo 13... well....]. They're all awesome and real great

Side Note:

I'm going to try Kino's Journey, I've been holding it off because it looked strange, but now I'm definitely gonna try it.
Closed Thread