AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-16, 23:23   Link #1
yuwing
mr. panty thief

Cosplay Question: SECRET TECHNIQUE TO GEL HAIR?

so i'm gonna go to anime north in toronto at may. so i'm wondering...

whats the techinque to gelling hair?

i've been gelling my hair since 4 years ago but my "sports" gel does not hold long hair up like you see in cosplayers.

How do you gel your hair?

If you gel your hair, plz contribue. Even if it is a normal hair style, the technique used can be a big help to the secret technique in gelling hair: Anime Style

please do not recommend products other than goods specifically used for hair. No wax, glue, tape, super glue or other forms of stickiness used for alternative purposes than making hair stiff as rock - anime style.

Before i go, i would like to emphasize on the importance for everyone to participate in this thread.
The more of your techniques gathered, the more it can help to find/develop/discover the amazing technique to gellling hair anime style.

Please note that your techniques will be regarded equally. At a later date, i will review and try all the techniques given myself. Further, i will combine all effective techniques and make a step by step procedure oh now how to make your hair anime style with everyday sports gel.

Thank you, and good luck

- yuwing
yuwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 23:26   Link #2
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
um....theres a technique?....heres my hurrr style

Spoiler:

edit: my driver's liscense pic ^_^
aFlipGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 23:28   Link #3
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
You use hair glue not hair gel for super a stiff hold. You can also try hair wax if you need to mess with the texture.

You can usually find it at beauty supply places. I used to use the stuff on a regular basis back when i had a different hairstyle. Hair glue is cool because its somewhat waterproof (comes out when you wash your hair). So I could go waterskiing and my hair would still be perfectly in place.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 23:31   Link #4
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
You seem to be a big fan of cosplay... I am not, but to each own.

People try to look exactly like who they're cosplaying as but it's hard and sometimes not possible to make your hair look like the characters.

Instead of trying to make the hair look exactly like the characters I suggest going with a vague resemblance for example, if you're doing Vash you could cut you hair short, dye it blonde and spike it. You don't have to have a 5 inch spiked hair to look like the character... most times you'll just look stupid.

The pictures of the girl that cosplayed yuna looked very good and natural because it was her hair.

Oh ya. FYI, I don't use anything to style my hair but water. I like the feeling of wind moving my hair freely....
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 23:31   Link #5
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I think it looks better if you try wear specially designed wig for the character or mix between. You don't have to worry about cleaning it up after.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 23:31   Link #6
yuwing
mr. panty thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills
You use hair glue not hair gel for super a stiff hold. You can also try hair wax if you need to mess with the texture.

You can usually find it at beauty supply places. I used to use the stuff on a regular basis back when i had a different hairstyle. Hair glue is cool because its somewhat waterproof (comes out when you wash your hair). So I could go waterskiing and my hair would still be perfectly in place.
hair glue - waterproof.... Good for anime conventions when its raining, special ninja missions in the rain and other forms of activities associated with water *writing down notes*
Old 2004-04-16, 23:37   Link #7
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Elmers Glue. I'm not joking. That's what people used to get perfect mohawks in my school. It washes out ... but I think it leaves your hair damaged. Any hairglue product isn't good for hair though.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 00:57   Link #8
yuwing
mr. panty thief

http://ino.sayuri.us/cos/cosplay48.jpg

can anyone explain how to get this result?

Last edited by yuwing; 2004-04-17 at 10:29.
Old 2004-04-17, 01:35   Link #9
Deeze

Bee's wax.
Deeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 09:05   Link #10
kamij0

normally a gel and a spray will keep your hair standing.. i dunno much about the products in the states.. well just use lotsa hairspray to keep it there
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 18:18   Link #11
junko
model bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamij0
normally a gel and a spray will keep your hair standing.. i dunno much about the products in the states.. well just use lotsa hairspray to keep it there
Get Joico Spiker styling glue or Spiker Blast hairspray. Honestly, that shit will keep anything up. But whichever you use, make sure to get the Erasure shampoo. IT WILL NOT COME OUT ON ITS OWN! Don't know where you are, so I can't tell you where to go, definitely not supermarkets. Just ask any girl where she gets her hair care peoducts.
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 12:18   Link #12
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Scary enough, Elmer's glue works wonders. I have worn my hair in a surfer cut [AKA a bob, since the hair in the same length all the way around]. It's pretty long.
I've tried for a while to spike it up to see if I could. Nothing really worked.
Even ICE hair cement, the strongest hair gel I know of [my brother uses it], couldn't hold it up for Halloween. So Elmer's glue. Works wonders.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 19:14   Link #13
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
I had a friend who once sported some nice gravity-defying spikes. I asked him how he did them and he said he used slightly watered-down PVA glue. It's dead cheap, non-toxic, holds firm, and washes out. As he did his hair everyday, it was orders of magnitude cheaper than using proper hair-styling products, and he achieved the same effect. You can probably buy it from most arts and crafts shops.
Megane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 02:15   Link #14
Green²
It's bacon!

I once knew a girl that used pipe cleaners to hold her hair in different shapes. Of course, the pipe cleaners were dyed to match the hair color.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote