2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.71%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.13%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-15, 14:45   Link #201
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_760 View Post
it's like Oshino said in this episode
if he want to continue helping ppl after Oshino is gone, he has to abandon Shinobu in order to be 100% human and to help other ppl with their oddities

but what I still don't understand, why does he has to be 100% human to help ppl with oddities?
It may be considered as impurity. He may be capable of helping people with his physical labor. But doing something like sacred ceremony or some incantations may be impossible for him.

Last edited by zato_1one; 2009-09-15 at 14:57.
zato_1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 14:57   Link #202
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
It may be considered as impurity. He may be capable of helping people with physical labor. But doing something like sacred ceremony or some incantations may be impossible for him.
Yeah.. he needs to be kosher.
Old 2009-09-15, 15:15   Link #203
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_760 View Post
it's like Oshino said in this episode
if he want to continue helping ppl after Oshino is gone, he has to abandon Shinobu in order to be 100% human and to help other ppl with their oddities

but what I still don't understand, why does he has to be 100% human to help ppl with oddities?
Because he is an oddity. He has shinobu's blood in him, worse she is a royal vampire.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 15:31   Link #204
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I caught your edit. Originally you wrote storyline (7) and visual (3)

That aside I quoted this because more or less I followed the same reasoning. An average between the story and the quality. But my rates are way lower, it would be a 6 for the story and a 2 for the visuals. Average 4, +1 because of the OP (I'm with monir when he says an OP-ED shouldn't modify one's perception of an episode, but here's sort of different, this op like the others just plays once and it played in this episode. Plus, it clearly took 75-80% of their animation budget, seeing the rest). Hence it's a 5.

I'm disappointed by this arc, in general. I was already fairly unhappy after the previous episode (which I voted "only" 7), because the weight on Nadeko's story was too little. I'm even more disappointed now that the arc is over, the whole felt rushed, proper explanations were not given but more like hinted at, the background story was shown but it still was shallow. My reasoning was fairly simple, this anime is great when it comes to characterization, and when it comes to let us emphasize with the protagonists.

- Hitagi Crab: did they succeed in portraying Senjougahara's pains, so that we could feel it? --> yes
- Mayoi Snail: did they manage to carry us the pain of the poor Hachikuji, so that we could feel it? --> yes
- Suruga Monkey: did they deliver Kanbaru's feelings of rage, jealousy, frustration , so that we could feel it? --> yes
- Nadeko Snake: did they convey the difficulties of Sengoku's growth, her loneliness, so that we could feel it? --> hell no

No, despite Nadeko being probably my favourite character, these episodes didn't deliver, her story was just barely made clear, but it's an unfair treatment if I think to the previous girls (protagonist - 3 episodes - 3 episodes), hence I can't really discount it, if anything because I don't understand. Even in the case they put a wonderful re-editing for the dvd version, I wouldn't give this episode more than a 6.
Actually, even my correction was wrong.... I should know better than to post when my brainz have shut down for the evening and unfortunately I can't take back my vote (which should have been a 4 or 5 by my own reasoning). I plead documented brain fart.

I can see why Nadeko inspires "moe" and they do manage to portray her crush on Araragi quite painfully sweet - her loneliness must be pretty horrific because I felt her situation quite strongly. Probably that was do to her VA's excellent emoting. Hopefully a completely overhauled version of the episode will do more justice..... maybe. Given that they are working with 15 projected episodes... they must really plan to knock socks off with the last arc because otherwise, yeah Nadeko's arc probably deserved 3 episodes and she got shorted. There doesn't seem to be any resolution to her feelings about Araragi either - in fact, they're probably intensified.

One thing I'm noting is that people I show this series to find it *extremely* difficult to get past the first 3 episodes even if they have a long attention span.
Old 2009-09-15, 15:44   Link #205
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
One thing I'm noting is that people I show this series to find it *extremely* difficult to get past the first 3 episodes even if they have a long attention span.
Do they give any particular reason why?
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 15:50   Link #206
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
I wonder when we will get more Senjogahara. I miss her and of course Hachikuji.
Speaking of wich...

I think it's a real shame that those two can't interact with one another. Same for the rest of the girls. >_<

Of course, it probably won't happen during this season. As was shown (and mentioned) in the first episode, the events of Tsubasa cat take place before the ones in Hitagi crab.

It would be really cool if all the cast could see Mayoi.
Old 2009-09-15, 15:51   Link #207
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Some people can't deal with conversation heavy subbed anime.

It bores them.

Anime to many is about "ACTIVE MOVEMENT" on screen.

Talking about why and how Hitagi got into the crab problem is not easy to deal with after the initial expectation of combat from episode 1.

You know... lets go to war !!!

She seems like a badass at the begining but that is quickly blown away by... talk talk talk and more talk.

The next scene is pretty uneventful for some... its a invisible giant crab that gets a prayer.

hmmm

At least its not as bad as peoples reaction to ergo proxy... many people can't deal with it at all. Great art work still can't hold people to conversation heavy anime.
Old 2009-09-15, 16:18   Link #208
Reekon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
As was shown (and mentioned) in the first episode, the events of Tsubasa cat take place before the ones in Hitagi crab.
What? I thought the next episodes/Tsubasa Cat's events take place in succession to the current timeline?

My understanding is that, the next episodes will show what happens to Hanekawa as she experiences a 2nd problem with the cat.

And her 1st problem with the cat is discussed in the prequel, during the time that Araragi was a vampire.

P.S.
Not sure if this is spoiler-type data. Not even sure if my understanding is correct.
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 16:26   Link #209
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reekon View Post
What? I thought the next episodes/Tsubasa Cat's events take place in succession to the current timeline?
You don't say....

I have always though of Tsubasa cat as a prequel to the events shown so far, but I am also unaware of any future events in the novel regarding her.

Nothing but wait until the next episode airs to find out.
Old 2009-09-15, 16:51   Link #210
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reekon View Post

My understanding is that, the next episodes will show what happens to Hanekawa as she experiences a 2nd problem with the cat.

And her 1st problem with the cat is discussed in the prequel, during the time that Araragi was a vampire.

P.S.
Not sure if this is spoiler-type data. Not even sure if my understanding is correct.
Hanekawa was attacked twice by the cat problem.

1 before koyomi met hitagi.

2. after nadeko
Old 2009-09-15, 16:55   Link #211
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Working on the assumption that they don't mind dialogue-heavy shows ("long attention span"), I'd guess it's because of Bakemonogatari's style of animation — they probably don't find PowerPoint presentations very exciting. I don't blame them.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 17:24   Link #212
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Even if you love dialog-heavy shows... a fair amount of Hitagi and Araragi's conversation is what I tend to call Shakespearean -- wordplay for the sheer delight of wordplay. So even my son and a friend who are known for excellent attention spans and complex storylines both asked at one point -- "this is really fascinating but I'm not sure WHY and is it actually ABOUT something?"

Hitting the "snail" arc and then the "rainy devil" arc brought the scope of the story into context for them.
Old 2009-09-15, 17:25   Link #213
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Not to be a bitch or anything, but isn't that conversation you two are having very spoilerific, Daniel E. and Zetsubo?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 17:32   Link #214
Lummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Not to be a bitch or anything, but isn't that conversation you two are having very spoilerific, Daniel E. and Zetsubo?
I don't think it's really spoilerific, Oshino himself confirms in episode 2 that Araragi was attacked before by Shinobu and the Tsubasa cat. And the preview of the next arc reveals that the tsubasa arc is going to start, thus they are both facts that within the anime are confirmed.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 17:39   Link #215
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post

2. after nadeko
So do you think they'll cover both attacks? Considering it's 5 episodes long.
Old 2009-09-15, 17:43   Link #216
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oshino does? I don't really remember that. Time to go watch it again, then...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 17:54   Link #217
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki-ism View Post
So do you think they'll cover both attacks? Considering it's 5 episodes long.
I think that the first attack should be animated in season 2, Koyomi Vamp arc. Assuming that Shaft decide to do it.
Old 2009-09-15, 18:03   Link #218
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Hanekawa clearly has some problem that she is keeping to herself.

We've never seen her at home and she never wants to go home... something is up.

I also wonder what Hitagi has been up to these last few weeks....

should be interesting... as long as the studio doesn't foul up the animation... it should be total fun.
Old 2009-09-15, 18:15   Link #219
Reekon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post

2. after nadeko
Thanks for confirming. =)

@BetoJR: Sorry for bringing that up.

I mean I don't think it's spoilerrific for the same reasons that Lummie explained.

But if you were actually thinking of it like Daniel E. that instead of a 2nd attack in the next episodes, you thought they will actually be the prequel events with the 1st attack then maayybbeee it's a spoiler?

Anyways, again my apologies. Will try to use the tags next time...
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 18:27   Link #220
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
@Zato

Yea, I really hope they do Koyomi's story.