AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-26, 21:35   Link #1
imoyama

new manga fan & need recommendations

Hey guys, Im new to the manga scene and need some recommendations.

I've only read a few so far, but am really enjoying the format.

I like fantasy style stories, like swords and sorcery, knights and wizards and the like.

I also enjoy the supernatural stuff, like demons and shinigami, ghosts and any occult kinda stuff.

So far I'm reading: Bleach, Blue Exorcist, Fairytail, and Id_Entity.

I know it isn't a very big list, but I just started.

So can you guys recommend and titles for me?

I may not have given you much to go on, but I am new and interested in any title that is good regardless of genre.

Thanks for helping out a manga newb guys!
Old 2012-01-26, 21:47   Link #2
for3ver
The Lost Child

ummm..

isnt this the wrong thread to be asking this? :O (or am i mistaken?)

anyway..

try the manga ubel blatt its got a lot of action + swords

apart from that i recommend the light novel sword art online which covers a fair amount of your genres..
Old 2012-01-26, 23:23   Link #3
leokiko

This is the wrong place. For recommendations, go here:

http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Old 2012-01-27, 09:52   Link #4
kitten320

Among shounen a must would be Fullmetal Alchemist.

Soul Eater is a good shounen, fantasy, battle manga.

D.Gray Man reminds of both Bleach and Ao no Exorcist.

Claymore is a more serious with more blood, monsters and knight period. Thouggh main characters are females.

Berserk is based in knight period too but it has some sexual things going on. But from what I saw in anime it is supposed to have really good story. Plan to read it myself.

Mirai Nikki is about group of people who got future diaries. Now all of them are involved in death game where they have to kill each other, the winner will become a new God.

Rosario + Vampire is more ecchi and has a bit of a slow start but once it picks up, the story gets really good and some good action happens. The art improves a lot too. Series are about vampires and all other kind of mythical creatures.

Ghost Hunt as title suggests is about ghost hunting. I loved the anime so I plan to check manga and expect it to be good.

Death Note are very famous series especially as an anime but I expect manga to be good too. It is all about suspense, planning and tricking each other.

If you are willing to try something different then here are 3 good comedies:
Love Hina is a harem manga but I found it really hilarious. From the same author you can also try Mahou Sensei Negima! which is more action orientated.

Great Teacher Onizuka is great manga about an ex-gangster who decided to become a teacher and now he is helping his students to deal with their problems in very unique ways.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai is a very unique harem manga. The guy dates a lot of girls yet it is not a harem.
The main hero is dating game freak and accidentally signed a contract with cute demon. Now he has to date girls in real life if he wants to keep his head. Dating is one of the main ways to get bad spirits out of people. Once the spirit is out, girls forget everything about what happened between them and main hero. Once a huge number of characters is introduced, story takes slightly different turn.
Series are more fun then they sound, really worth a try.

That's all I know since I prefer anime over manga.
Old 2012-01-27, 09:54   Link #5
imoyama

Thanks for the replies guys & please keep them coming!

I was just looking for new manga today and came across Berserk.

I guess its a kinda old series, which is fine, but it also looks pretty good and seems to have alot of fans so I'll definately check it out.
Old 2012-01-27, 10:25   Link #6
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Try Qwaser of Stigmata : it's a manga about a boy who fights enemies and met Mafuyu, a highschool student at orthodox academy. However, he happens to be a Qwaser, a warrior who breastmilks females in order to gain more energy before fighting (it's a holy concept!). The manga contains lot of ecchiness, but it features awesome art (especially color illustrations), well-choregraphied fight scenes, decent religious references (yes, the manga contains a lot of christian references) and a good harem plot.

If you like this, try Zettai Shoujo Senki Amnesian and has similar genres than Qwaser of Stigmata, except with shoujo-ai subplot : it's about a girl named Himeko, a christian nun who met a wounded girl named Chikane, who lost memories and share a heavy ressemblance of Himeko's sister. However, a group of enemies who betrayed Chikane, called the "Nine Days", make plans to find a thing called "Dragon's Cry", which was sealed inside Himeko's body. It features good artwork, lot of well-choregraphied fight scenes, but not much shoujo-ai scenes however it features random ecchi scenes and a terrible beginning, and the existence about the Nine Days and the Dragon's Cry happens too suddenly, but you could try without a doubt.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-01-27, 14:39   Link #7
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoyama View Post
Thanks for the replies guys & please keep them coming!

I was just looking for new manga today and came across Berserk.

I guess its a kinda old series, which is fine, but it also looks pretty good and seems to have alot of fans so I'll definately check it out.
It did start long time ago but it still is ongoing

I think art work in manga is really detailed but manga has a lot of nudity, violence and some raping so be prepared...

Anime had covered around first 100 chapters but in shortened version. I liked anime but manga is supposed to be better
Old 2012-01-27, 20:50   Link #8
imoyama

Ya I checked out the Qwaser of Stigmata, and um, gross lol. I'm not really into this kinda manga.

I do love good art, but don't like all the crazy ecchi and fanservice with the panties and boobies amd whatnot flying all over the place lol.

But hey, thanks for the recommendation and keep em coming guys.
Old 2012-01-28, 20:55   Link #9
JRendell
Manga Addict

I'll just paste what I said for a similar request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post

Change 123

Meet Motoko, a girl who has secretly developed three different personalities so as to cope with three different adoptive fathers, each of whom happen to be masters of a different martial art. Oh, and Kosukegawa, the guy who happened to find out.

Great artwork with some pretty girls, romance, awesome fights and top-class comedy. In my Top 5.

Ane Doki!

A mysterious, busty, strong, beautiful, and mature high school girl, what more can a guy ask for? Apparently 13yr old Kouta doesn’t want that. Natsuki, the girl in question, has spontaneously decided to become Kouta's live-in maid while his father is away on a business trip.

A romance story with some ecchi and great comedy. Written and drawn by Kawashita Mizuki, who also did Ichigo 100% and Hatsukoi Limited.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Probably one of the few series that got me into reading manga. "The story is focused on Kenichi Shirahama, an average 15-year-old weakling, whose life turns to Hell with the appearance of the naive, beautiful, and strong transfer student, Miu Fūrinji. After Kenichi witnesses Miu's skills in martial arts, he joins the Ryōzanpaku dojo, the gathering place of those who are truly strong, which also happens to be Miu's home. After beating a karate student in a match, he is soon targeted by all the delinquents in the school." - MAL.

400+ chapters strong, and still powering on, this manga has everything. And it's downright hilarious.
Happy reading!
Old 2012-01-30, 21:15   Link #10
imoyama

Cool guys, good stuff, lease keep the recommends coming!

I'm on my way to building quite a library hehe.
Closed Thread