AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you seen a 90s anime OVA?
Yes. 24 92.31%
No. 2 7.69%
What's an OVA? XD; 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-26, 07:34   Link #21
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Really needs to be more people than just the OP and myself that have seen Dragon Half! Hilarious, zany use of Mozart in the ED theme, but most of all...Dick Saucer! DICK! SAUCER! Even people who aren't normally into manly fab characters usually dig Dick Saucer!
I've been meaning to get around to watching it for A LONG TIME now. But sadly, just like my video game "need to play" list, my anime "need to watch" list gets shorter REALLY SLOWLY. I guess I'll just have to buy a copy of it. If I do that, there wouldn't be any excuses or etc not to watch it.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 07:41   Link #22
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Cyber City Oedo 808, one Cyberpunk OAV to check, especially if you love Wakamoto Norio and Kaneto Shiozawa.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Iria Zeiram

Bubblegum Crisis

AD Police

Golden Boy (dear harem protags, this is how you win women), the character designer will work later in Cowboy Bebop. I love this OAV, best ecchi comedy ever.

And then, Record of Lodoss War, the OAV that I can describe as best telling of a D&D game ever.

As far as I can tell, this is the OAVs of the 1990s that helped my love for anime burning, not what was being aired on TV in France at this time period.

Last edited by Sheba; 2012-03-26 at 07:55.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 08:02   Link #23
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkenX6 View Post
I've been meaning to get around to watching it for A LONG TIME now. But sadly, just like my video game "need to play" list, my anime "need to watch" list gets shorter REALLY SLOWLY. I guess I'll just have to buy a copy of it. If I do that, there wouldn't be any excuses or etc not to watch it.
It's only 2 episodes. ;-; 50 minutes and you're done.
Old 2012-03-26, 08:09   Link #24
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
It's only 2 episodes. ;-; 50 minutes and you're done.
Yeah, I know. My problem is, when the DVD for this show was still in print, I never got around to buying it or even renting it. Now that the DVD is OOP, it's not exactly cheap to buy. I suppose I can try to watch it via streaming, if it's up on like Netflix, Hulu, and etc.
Old 2012-03-26, 13:59   Link #25
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkenX6 View Post
Yeah, I know. My problem is, when the DVD for this show was still in print, I never got around to buying it or even renting it. Now that the DVD is OOP, it's not exactly cheap to buy. I suppose I can try to watch it via streaming, if it's up on like Netflix, Hulu, and etc.
Try Amazon maybe? I would like to buy it myself...

Quote:
Golden Boy (dear harem protags, this is how you win women), the character designer will work later in Cowboy Bebop. I love this OAV, best ecchi comedy ever.
YES!!! I tried to get this with a friend at an anime con just this past Saturday but the discs were all scratched up. I'm glad the vendors were honest though...
Old 2012-03-26, 15:37   Link #26
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Of course, they still exist, which applies to any extra episodes released for an already completed series.

However, for anything released as just as an OVA (instead of a complement to an existing series) like Riding Bean -- not that I know of.
Mnemosyne is a six-episode stand-alone OVA from 2008. It has a lot of nudity and "ero-guro" scenes so it was probably not acceptable for broadcast.

I've seen the occasional one-two episode OVA that was released to judge the demand for a full-length series. Both Sky Girls and Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san started with OVAs.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 16:36   Link #27
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
And watch it in ENGLISH!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 17:24   Link #28
Echoes

Quote:
And watch it in ENGLISH!
I agree. Golden Boy is one of the few series where I can genuinely say that the dub is superior to the original. The male lead just goes nuts with the role, and the result is downright hilarious.

I don't have all that much experience with 90s OVAs (definitely something that I want to explore more when I get the opportunity), but I've seen a couple. One of my favorites is Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge. Exciting, dark and with great characters. It just embodies the era's action and badassery. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Old 2012-03-26, 19:53   Link #29
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
And watch it in ENGLISH!
"I'm not feeling myself todaaaaaaay!"
"Are you all right?"
"I'M JUST PEEEACHIEEE".

XD
Old 2012-03-26, 20:37   Link #30
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
The EVA stuff confuses me half to death. This one's different from "You Are Not Alone", right? Or.....eh?
Nvm. It's 2007 XD OTL. I mean Otaku no Video.... it's 1991.
Old 2012-03-26, 21:27   Link #31
Zalis

Yeah, I've not only seen a lot of OVAs from the 90s and the 80s, but I've worked on fansubbing a few. Some I liked, some I regretted watching. Some were only worthwhile from a "so bad it's good" perspective. It's easy to get caught up in the nostalgia of the old days, and pine for the golden era of innovative, standalone OVAs. But it's equally easy to forget that plenty of those OVAs were mediocre or outright bad. So this post will pay tribute to some of the not-so-memorable titles.

Birth - random dinosaurs and a wtf ending.
Fantastic Adventure of Yohko: Leda
Superdimensional Romanesque Samy - Missing 99 -- not that bad (I translated the dang thing), but it's one of those "pack a whole bunch of stuff into an hour with no coherency or conclusion" affairs.
Cosmos Pink Shock - A bit of silly fluff, but I'm satisfied that my TL work allowed it to annoy the bitter old-guard moe haters over at colonydrop.
Outlanders - good for fanservice and a "random arranged marriage" scenario, not good for much else.
Demon City Shinjuku - only tolerable dubbed with MST3K commentary.
Legend of Lemnear - reliable for T&A.
Cybernetics Guardian - gory, incoherent, and just plain stupid.
Curse of Kazuo Umezu - another one that I TLed; oldschool art allows for some genuinely scary moments.
Devil Hunter Yohko - trashy fun that was ADV's first ever release.
Sukeban Deka - makes sense in the broader context of the manga, not so much standalone.
Princess Army Wedding Combat - not bad, but not memorable either.
Mask of Zeguy - horror/fantasy that was far sillier than it wanted to be.
Big Wars - "Meh" all around.
Please Save my Earth - a bit overhyped, boring and disconnected if you don't know the manga.
Grappler Baki - since when were optic nerves located in the neck?
Birth ~Debut~ - tolerable if you like dating sim adaptations.
Key the Metal Idol - fairly good overall, but contains some of the most boring infodumps in all of anime.
Irresponsible Captain Tylor - at least to the Western fanbase who hadn't read the novels, it doesn't live up to expectations as a followup of the TV series. See here (NSFW!)
Battle Skipper School - don't waste your time.
Idol Project - Idol anime's come a long way since this.
Battle Arena Toshinden - this mediocre Street Fighter ripoff had the distinction of being the first anime released on DVD in North America.
Garzey's Wing - bad enough to be ANN's first "Buried Garbage" entry, though at least the English dub makes it "so bad it's good."
Kimera - also a Buried Garbage entry, but no "so bad it's good" redeeming value.
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer - another crap fighting game adaptation.
Apocalypse Zero - the modern-anime/moe -hating cabal of Daryl Surat, Mike Tool, and the colonydrop crew LOVE this OVA, but it's easily one of the worst non-hentai anime I've ever seen. The English dub was marginally amusing, but it's overshadowed by the pointlessly offensive and disgusting content.
Panzer Dragoon - full of fail on every level. Another Buried Garbage entry.
Hyper Speed Grandoll - nothing to see here, move along.
Detatoko Princess - Slayers wannabe.
Virgin Fleet - actually not as bad as the premise would have you believe.
Psychic Force - lol no.
Spectral Force - ahahaha OH WOW this was bad. Incomplete story, horrible CG, the list goes on...
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 23:58   Link #32
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Try Amazon maybe? I would like to buy it myself
I looked for it on Amazon already. Thanks though.

The cheapest for a brand new copy(yeah, I'm a collector, so I usually only go for new stuff) that I saw was $81. Oh well, maybe one day I'll just break down and buy it, even at an inflated price like that.
Old 2012-03-27, 00:06   Link #33
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

With all these lists, you've forgotten that Tenchi Muyo! started out as two OVAs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World - another one where I prefer the English dub entirely (I think I've only watched the Japanese once).
Fun fact: even the people who produced it preferred the English dub!

And I've seen quite a few of the shows listed (on tape, DVD or on TV back when the Sci-Fi Channel had their anime movie weeks).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 05:11   Link #34
GreatTeacherKen

I didn't watch anime as much back then, but I definitely remember seeing a few anime VHSes, and I remember my friend showing me the Sakura Taisen OVA. He also showed me Neon Genesis Evangelion and (I don't know if he did this intentionally or if even he had no idea what the series would turn into) he happened to pick the funnier episodes of the series (episodes 8 and 9) so I can thank him for giving me a distorted first impression of that series. Though I suppose it's good that I didn't watch End of Evangelion immediately afterwards since the mood whiplash would just be too much.

The one 90s anime OVA I like the most is hands down Golden Boy which I still find hysterically funny.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 09:16   Link #35
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I have boxes and boxes of VHS in my shed; many OVAs and a number of series and movies from the 80s-90s. A handful from the 70s, even. Not had a tape deck (VCR) in a decade or more, though. Plus I have no idea if any of the tapes are in remotely decent condition, since damp, humidity, rats, several moves and such have likely taken their toll. But ultimately, I don't really care. Sure they cost me (and my mother when I was younger and she bought them for me) quite a bit, but VHS is long since obsolete and I don't care to get another tape deck to try to play any.

I find even DVDs a little difficult to watch these days. So spoiled with HD eyecandy.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 10:53   Link #36
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Please Save My Earth - another OVA that really chopped up the manga, but still great.
Given the constraint of only having several episodes, I think they did a great job adapting the beginning of the manga. Actually, some of the small changes that the anime made were an improvement over the source material. Please Save My Earth really is an absolutely amazing OVA, everybody should watch it. And then go read the manga.