Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-26, 20:43   Link #421
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
^I was forgetting about her being without pants.

But even so, Tsubaki isnt bothered when he hears what Urabe did.

So there is no reason to think that the rules of their relationship were broken.
I'm not so sure that Tsubaki wasn't bothered by what Urabe had done, but more relieved that he was still her boyfriend. He had spent a tortuous 24 hours worrying whether or not she would accept Ogata's confession, and when she related the results of her panty-less test to him, his relief must have been overwhelming. Not only that, but, along with the healthy does of sexually infused saliva she shoved in his mouth, he was also immediately distracted by the thought that she wasn't wearing any panties right then, and he actually had her panties in his hand. Stimulus overload.

As to the rules of their relationship, those would be Urabe's rules, and hers alone. What she says goes. No doubt in my mind if Tsubaki stood up for himself and took a firm, unrelenting stand on something, say, insisting that they hold hands on their walk home, she would tell him to get lost and find another girlfriend.

I would certainly not want to be in Tsubaki's shoes. He is told by his girlfriend that she knows that he is the first person she will have sex with yet, after a month of "going out," he is still not allowed to even touch her, let alone hold hands, hug, or kiss her. Seems like Urabe's version of the carrot and the stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Pretty common though for girls to thinks it's okay (as long as it's not physical) to "try out" another boy to test if their feelings are solid or not.
Really? Times marches on. It certainly wouldn't have been accpetable when I was a teenager. And would that "not physical" include or exclude kissing? And how do they feel if their boyfriend does the same thing with other girls?
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 21:23   Link #422
ponyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I'm not so sure that Tsubaki wasn't bothered by what Urabe had done, but more relieved that he was still her boyfriend. He had spent a tortuous 24 hours worrying whether or not she would accept Ogata's confession, and when she related the results of her panty-less test to him, his relief must have been overwhelming. Not only that, but, along with the healthy does of sexually infused saliva she shoved in his mouth, he was also immediately distracted by the thought that she wasn't wearing any panties right then, and he actually had her panties in his hand. Stimulus overload.
You can make up excuses for this instance but then it still needs to be established somehow somewhere what his true feelings on this are.

Otherwise it seems like you are expressing your own feelings on the situation just as much as those of the character.

And so far I cant think of anything that hints toward Tsubaki careing.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 22:35   Link #423
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
You can make up excuses for this instance but then it still needs to be established somehow somewhere what his true feelings on this are.

Otherwise it seems like you are expressing your own feelings on the situation just as much as those of the character.

And so far I cant think of anything that hints toward Tsubaki careing.
Making excuses? Don't get what you mean.

It is true that Tsubaki did care that Urabe didn't reject Ogata immediately. He was obviously quite upset about it. It is true that he spent a sleepless night worrying whether or not Urabe would accept Ogata's confession. It's certainly true that he was bothered by Ogata following Urabe out of the classroom to hear the answer to his confession.

And, no, in this instance I am not expressing my own feelings (Urabe's not my girlfriend, nor have I ever been in a relationship quite like this one, thank goodness), but drawing my own conclusions from the evidence presented to us. There is no doubt that Tsubaki was relieved at the results of Ogata's drool test (he was so overjoyed that he even tried to hug Urabe). He has just had a massive nose bleed, he's holding Urabe's panties, and his girlfriend is standing there before him with no panties on with the wind tantalizingly flipping her skirt. Is it too far-fetched to speculate that what concerns he may have had for Urabe's behaviour evaporated, at least momentarily, due to a sudden sensory overload? Considering his innocence and inexperience, and the vivid sexually explicit dream he had where he "did it" with Urabe, I don't think it's too much to speculate that, at the moment, the heightened sexual tension could cause his mind to go blank.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 18:06   Link #424
ponyo

If we are talking about cheating then I have been missing the point.

It was when Urabe didnt turn Ogata down the first time he asked her and then when Tsubaki wanted to tell him to drop it Urabe wouldnt let him. That makes it clear that Urabe is totally insensitive toward Tsubaki's feelings.

You can blame Tsubaki for being so pathetic and going along with her but even after he told her that he had been worried she didnt care.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 21:53   Link #425
ellifeedn
Thinker

I'm not going to give my opinion on the matter, but I will state two facts: the two of them have been in a relationship for a very short amount of time and they don't know anything about each other.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 22:01   Link #426
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well ... to be honest I can see a little where ponyo is coming from. I have felt like pretty much ever since the manga began, so I don't think that his perceptions in of themselves should be just dismissed and/or discounted (although I myself probably would not express them in the same way or "tone of voice" per se, but that is another matter).

I will say, though, that the manga goes into more details and hints ... and things become a little clearer there - so if it is a matter of not understanding what seems to be outright rude insensitivity perhaps looking into the manga itself (or maybe even the manga thread?) might give a little more perspective on the issue.

But then again, it is possible that the anime may go a slightly different (or even radically different - who knows?) route - it is an adaptation after all ... although thus far a pretty faithful one, which I like to see in general.

That being said I still feel it is a great series in and of itself, and many others who have not read the manga also seem to enjoy it (not all, of course).
Old 2012-04-28, 05:02   Link #427
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Really? Times marches on. It certainly wouldn't have been accpetable when I was a teenager. And would that "not physical" include or exclude kissing? And how do they feel if their boyfriend does the same thing with other girls?
I would like to quote the Great Teacher Onizuka from the Live-Action series:

Quote:
You know, you should do it with the one you truly love. Because, if you're doing sex for false love, you would enjoy the sex but not the love.
Dialogue changes supplied, just in case you're curious.

Author's thesis: Teenagers nowadays jump into sex too quickly. Now, he's not against premarital sex per se, but rather, he believes that teenagers are missing out on the best parts of any girl-boy relationship which are actually the non-sexual ones: knowing and getting along with each other, cherishing every single moment together, and standing for each other through thick and thin.

Pretty much the reason why a lot of girls are brokenhearted is that they jumped into the sexual activity too easily. And more often than not, they do it with the wrong guy like 75% of the time. It's no wonder seduction programs are quite the fad for guys nowadays.

Sometimes, it's better for girls to wait and see if their relationships with their guys could work out real good. It's better to prolong the chase until the relationship is worth it.

Therefore, we guys should not take it too hard when a girl rejects us at first. She just wants you to prove yourself to her. She just wants to make damn sure you're not playing around with her feelings just to get her in bed.

Of course, there are other times where she doesn't like you AT ALL. In that case, give up if she doesn't budge at all your advances.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 15:00   Link #428
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Spoiler for Episode 4:
Old 2012-04-28, 16:32   Link #429
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Spoiler for Episode 4:
Dammit, why do I have to wait so long between episodes.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 01:54   Link #430
MasterVampire

Episode 4 kinda bored me.
No real development in their relationship.
But the preview for next week looks great
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 03:55   Link #431
Tenchi from ANN

I haven't seen any of the Mysterious Girlfriend X anime yet, but I have read the manga and I understand it's pretty much a panel for panel adaptation.

My own two pet theories about Urabe's origins are that she:

1) Is from some kind of underwater civilization like Atlantis where, instead of speaking vocally, they are able to transmit their thoughts telepathically to one another through the water, but, on land, this ability is quite useless unless the recipient of the telepathic thoughts were to ingest their bodily fluids like spit. The one thing in the manga that vaguely would support this idea is that Urabe goes to a seaside town to visit her parents. Maybe this involves walking into the sea.

2) Urabe's a human, but from a reclusive psychic clan similar to most of the extended Kasuga family in Kimagure Orange Road, only, instead of the Kasugas' rather impressive ESPer powers, they're just saliva empaths. Tangentially to this theory, both Tsubaki and Oka could have some Urabe ancestry, which is why they are able to at least receive emotions from Mikoto Urabe's saliva, but they can't read thoughts and even pick up images from others the way pure-blooded Mikoto can.

I don't completely discount the theory that Urabe's an alien from another planet, but I'd be somewhat disappointed by such a facile explanation. I like that Riichi Ueshiba, the mangaka, has left all explanations to Urabe's background as a mystery to the reader/viewer and suspect he'd prefer that we come up with our own theories than have it spoon-fed to us.
Tenchi from ANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 06:26   Link #432
judasmartel
*Author

I am so sold at the first theory, and I have a really crazy theory that Urabe is an Academy City Esper, but I say wait for the reveal. Assuming Ueshiba-sensei does, that is.
Old 2012-04-29, 07:35   Link #433
Kitsu Breaker

This episode was Yuri related.

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 07:38   Link #434
ookamigirl

Urabe & her new lunch friend Oka were interesting to watch.
Again with his weird dreams... LOL
Guess guys didn't have any luck seeing girls in summer P.E. uniforms.
Oka seemed really friendly with Urabe... friendship request denied or is it?
Wow, that Urabe sure has some weird powers.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 12:51   Link #435
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Like how the anime showed a difference between the connections of drool.

Oka only got the scrape and the cut but didn't feel anything. Tsubaki actually felt the pain of the cut and the scraped knee, showing that the connection between him and Urabe was the stronger of the two.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 15:20   Link #436
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

So, Mikoto can connect with girls as well as guys? This opens up a lot of possibilities, though I wonder how a mere exchange of drool can transmit an injury from one person to another.

Either way, it's getting obvious that Mikoto is not your average, normal girl. There's a whole air of mystery surrounding her and I'm not sure how much of it is going to be cleared up by the end of this show. Heck, I'm wondering if the same can be said for Oka, since Mikoto's tricks work with her as well and vice versa.
Old 2012-04-29, 21:04   Link #437
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Meh, pretty much Yuri episode. Was bored to tears unfortunately.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 21:22   Link #438
Metalsnakezero
Trio Finale!

Spoiler for Ep 4:
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic176117_1.gif
Metalsnakezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 22:57   Link #439
judasmartel
*Author

The girl who tripped up Urabe (shown in 8:55) resembles Kuroko Shirai to me.
Old 2012-04-30, 00:04   Link #440
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Oka really had to work for this...situation. Wait, if Urabe only needs one person who shares a connection like that with her why did she test that guy in the previous episode? Wouldn't it have not mattered anyways?

Pretty good at isolating herself though. Doesn't need friends, doesn't need more than one person with that connection to her, etc. Seems like it'll take some work to have Urabe accept more people into her life.

Tags
romance, seinen