AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-06-01, 06:16   Link #1
Seiryuu

Love that starts with well-established hate/contempt

I've noticed with a lot of romances, particularly romantic comedies, especially the ecchi/harem ones, characters' views of each other tend to fit into two main possibilities, either outsiders who don't know the hero at all, and whose initial feelings are based on first impressions, or people with established relationships who already harbor serious feelings toward the hero, but haven't necessarily admitted this. Generally, the most common love interest is the "outsider", ranging from someone from another clique who'd never interacted with the hero to a person from a parallel universe. There's often at least one of these in almost any rom-com, to act as a trigger that changes the status quo if nothing else. However, no matter how tsundere individuals are, any negativity is generally born from matters that are easily resolved or just plain trivial. I want to know if there's any stories where one of the major love interests starts out the actual story with serious hatred and/or contempt for the hero, born from a significant amount of interaction that produced a legitimate and justifiable cause.
One show that seems to be working toward that right now is Hataraku Maou, though this is actually one where I actually hope it doesn't go that way without much more than I've seen; it'll currently be too hard to believe that the girl would fall for a guy who butchered entire villages including her own father simply for the sake of power.
However, the hate and contempt doesn't have to be that serious. A hatred born from a long-established trend of legitimate perversion or offensiveness is fine. Not an accidental pervert mind you, one who's been caught repeatedly and was guilty as charged. For a perfect example, I'm looking for something like the kendo girls from Highschool DxD falling for Issei, despite the fact that he peeks on them changing every day and spends the rest of his time either trying to see girls naked or talking about wanting to play with grils' boobs. These girls have plenty of reason to view Issei with the contempt they clearly show him. It'd be interesting imho to see just what it might take to change these girls' minds.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 09:58   Link #2
alkoholio

I haven't seen any animes lately but if manga suggestions are also ok then you could try Basara. It's fairly old and a Shoujo but fits your inquiry perfectly and the Shoujo part except the typical drawing is not too high.

If you got other suggestions/examples of series like that would you plz post them, I also like that kind of setting.
alkoholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 13:59   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm not sure I'd say Aoba "hates" Kou at the beginning of Cross Game, but she certainly dislikes him for reasons that are explained over the course of the story.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 04:06   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would recommend Casshern Sins. The female lead hates the male lead for very legit reasons and it takes a hell of a lot of development for her to come round.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 13:03   Link #5
Tenzen12

If you don't mind gender fliped version and action, You might like "Tokyo Majin"
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 07:07   Link #6
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm not sure I'd say Aoba "hates" Kou at the beginning of Cross Game, but she certainly dislikes him for reasons that are explained over the course of the story.
Well episode 2 is titled "I Hate You!" afterall

So I'd definitely very strongly second this, Kou and Aoba are neighbors who've known each other since their childhood why Aoba dislikes Kou so much is explained over the course of the series with flashbacks.
Old 2013-06-18, 11:24   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well episode 2 is titled "I Hate You!" afterall
I always thought that title was intentionally histrionic rather than an accurate portrayal of Aoba's rather complex feelings about Kou. That's why I said I wasn't sure if she actually "hates" him, but I have no problem using "intensely dislikes" as a description of her feelings.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 22:11   Link #8
king12354

Nodame Cantabile. The MC doesn't necessarily hate the other per se, but is very annoyed by her quirkiness. However, he respects her talent and that slowly develops into something more.

Skip Beat! MC absolutely despises her childhood friend and is insanely weary of the other guy. Should continue reading the manga after the anime.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 23:50   Link #9
Divini
Senpai!

Try the manga: Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata, or Open Sesame. For the former, the MC coolly takes it in stride; While for the latter, the MC fights tooth and nail to combat all the hostility at the start. I really felt sorry for him.

Also seconding Cross Game
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote