AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-11, 23:09   Link #1201
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Teru was captain in the previous year's Group tournament.
Ryuumonbuchi didn't even make it to the finals in the previous year's tournament. There's no actual reference in the manga to Teru and Koromo having ever played against each other--I believe the one statement mentioning the both of them said by an announcer in one chapter some time ago was a mistranslation.

For the record, here's what we know about Ryuumonbuchi's performance the previous year: they made it up to the semi-finals, but got stopped by Rinkai in the Vice-Captain round. Ryuumonbuchi were in third when Touka awakened into her "Cold Touka" mode/ability, freaking the player in Rinkai's Vice-Captain spot, Megan Davin, out; enough so that she purposely knocked out the school in last place (i.e. taking them below zero, and ending the match) to halt her rampage. Koromo, accordingly, didn't even get to play.

I personally think Koromo would make a good match for Teru. At least, even considering any other "monsters" we've seen since the prefectural finals, Koromo still seems the closest to Teru to me in terms of sheer dominance over the board, and aura.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 23:10   Link #1202
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
'cause from what I gathered -- Koromo acted as if no one was able to beat her.
Thats because while Ryuumonbuchi was defeated, and Teru still kicked her around like an old soccer ball in their match, Koromo STILL had the highest point total accumulated for the entire tourney. The first series mentions this fact repeatedly (MVP this and MVP that).
Old 2012-06-11, 23:16   Link #1203
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Thats because while Ryuumonbuchi was defeated, and Teru still kicked her around like an old soccer ball in their match, Koromo STILL had the highest point total accumulated for the entire tourney. The first series mentions this fact repeatedly (MVP this and MVP that).
I don't care if it was mentioned many times. It doesn't make sense.

It'd make more sense for Koromo to have not gotten a chance to play in National either by the previous 4 team members winning before Koromo was needed ahd/or Ryuumonbuchi lost before Koromo's turn.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 23:17   Link #1204
Scarletknive
Meister

Ahh so thats why she still has no friends...(Until that "Rinshan user"(a.k.a Saki) shows Koromo what is tanoshii Mahjong all about. )

Back on episode 8, Teru's ability has something to do with increase points get.(A.k.a the fu and the han) The mirror somehow makes it such that she knows what the other 3 are doing. By using the mirror ability, she can find out their weakness and like Rei said, kick them like old soccer balls.

Quote:
I don't care if it was mentioned many times. It doesn't make sense.
Ask yourself this. Will you get proud when you get MVP?(Answer this and I will tell you why I ask this question.)
Old 2012-06-11, 23:22   Link #1205
Kyuu
=^^=

Bottom Line: If Koromo lost - then she had no right to parade around "unbeaten".

As far as I am concerned, Saki was the first person who beat Koromo and turned Koromo around by inducing her with a heft dose of "tanoshii". Quite frankly, Koromo couldn't find friends because she made opponents miserable.

Off the top of my head, I can't cite which episode - but I'll point to episode 19 for starters. Oh wait, maybe even Hajime's flashback in episode 12 (?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
Ask yourself this. Will you get proud when you get MVP?(Answer this and I will tell you why I ask this question.)
I'd treat it as a consolation -- after getting my ass beaten. MVP doesn't mean squat if you don't win.
Old 2012-06-11, 23:23   Link #1206
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Bottom Line: If Koromo lost - then she had no right to parade around "unbeaten".

As far as I am concerned, Saki was the first person who beat Koromo and turned Koromo around by inducing her with a heft dose of "tanoshii". Quite frankly, Koromo couldn't find friends because she made opponents miserable.

Off the top of my head, I can't cite which episode - but I'll point to episode 19 for starters. Oh wait, maybe even Hajime's flashback in episode 12 (?).
Gah you beat me then... What if the match is not group but individual type?(Assuming)

Before that, have a Innovator Geass.

Spoiler for ep 9:

I will quote the suggestions from me and Triple_R's 12th suggestion when a new episode airs.
Old 2012-06-11, 23:28   Link #1207
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Then, how in the hell did Koromo not make friends?
Saki is generally well-written, imo, but I guess it's not immune to the odd plot hole.

Yeah, Koromo making such a big deal out of Saki beating her is hard to understand if Koromo got beat by Teru before. I suppose it could be the means of defeat in both cases - Saki's epic comeback was the stuff of magic, whereas perhaps Teru simply steamrolled Koromo from the 2nd hand to the final hand.

Edit: Maybe Saki was the first person to defeat "Full Moon" Koromo? Maybe Teru defeated a Koromo with, er, less advantageous weather conditions, so Koromo didn't think as much of it.
Old 2012-06-11, 23:31   Link #1208
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Nowhere in the anime is it mentioned that Koromo was unbeaten during the Nationals. Indeed there are only a few things known about her stint in the Nationals -- that she had the highest point score, she was prone to high-value hands, and she won by her special move only ONCE.

Plus, this is Teru. Koromo playing prior to Saki made people miserable, Teru destroys the dreams of the people she plays against.

I can't speak for the manga of course, as its kind of hard to browse with office filters in place, ahaha.

Triple_R: Touka says as much in the anime -- the prefecturals for that year was the first time Koromo was playing at "full power" as it were. An alignment of favorable conditions, for sure.
Old 2012-06-11, 23:34   Link #1209
Sumeragi
Banned

My guess: Teru is an exception that proves the rule for Koromo.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 23:35   Link #1210
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu
'cause from what I gathered -- Koromo acted as if no one was able to beat her.
Guys, Koromo can't have faced Teru in the tournament. Touka said in the previous season that they got knocked out before Koromo got to play in the semi-finals. The team that did this was Rinkai( the foreigner team). Ryuumonbuchi just watched the finals and concluded that Miyanaga Teru is a monster beyond monsters.

And no one knows what will happen if Koromo faced Teru but, Koromo needs it to be night with a full moon to use most of her abilities like her "no tenpai field" and "haitei". She can still use haitei a bit without the full moon power but its not that effective which is why when Koromo curb stomped Shizuno, Touka said that it wasn't even half of Koromo's true power considering it was noon at that time.

Before the prefecture no one knows Koromo's true power since Koromo has not yet played during a full moon on official tournament. Its mentioned that this did not happen in the previous nationals or prefecturals which is why Kana who played Koromo previously and Yumi who researches everything got blindsided by Koromo's strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi
Teru was captain in the previous year's Group tournament.
Ummm.... no, Teru wasn't the captain in the previous group tournament. She more likely is the vanguard as always which is why Toki commented to Ryuuka that the match was decided before Ryuuka got to play.

The thing is I have a feeling that there is two tournaments a year. One of it would be the Spring prefecture tournament and Summer national tournament and the other would be perhaps the Winter cup or whatever tournament wherein there will be changes in the rosters since the seniors can't participate due to graduation. I have a feeling this still unnamed tournament is where Senriyama got bumped into number two position...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
What do you guys think would be the hardest possible match-up for Teru given all the (non-pro) characters we've seen so far in the anime itself?
This is a bit hard... but I liked the Saki-Yumi-Hisa alliance vs Teru.
Koromo might be able to do something but Teru is vanguard so Koromo can't play Teru at her full power so no Iishanten Hell.

To be honest the only person that was implied to have managed to hang in there with Teru was Saki herself, considering whenever they played Saki got consistent +/- zero against her family.

Its technically not winning but considering that most of Teru's opponents seems to be racking negatives against her leaving the table with the points you started with is a plus point.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 23:46   Link #1211
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

night_sentinel: Was mostly going by memory of the anime here, so there's bound to be inconsistencies, and I do remember that Ryuumonbuchi only watched the finals, but I also recall that Fujita-pro specifically mentioned Teru and Koromo playing against each other. Somewhere around chapters 55-60 of the manga perhaps, during the four-school training camp?
Old 2012-06-11, 23:50   Link #1212
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Guys, Koromo can't have faced Teru in the tournament. Touka said in the previous season that they got knocked out before Koromo got to play in the semi-finals. The team that did this was Rinkai( the foreigner team). Ryuumonbuchi just watched the finals and concluded that Miyanaga Teru is a monster beyond monsters.

And no one knows what will happen if Koromo faced Teru but, Koromo needs it to be night with a full moon to use most of her abilities like her "no tenpai field" and "haitei". She can still use haitei a bit without the full moon power but its not that effective which is why when Koromo curb stomped Shizuno, Touka said that it wasn't even half of Koromo's true power considering it was noon at that time.

Before the prefecture no one knows Koromo's true power since Koromo has not yet played during a full moon on official tournament. Its mentioned that this did not happen in the previous nationals or prefecturals which is why Kana who played Koromo previously and Yumi who researches everything got blindsided by Koromo's strength.
I rest my case.
Old 2012-06-11, 23:52   Link #1213
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei
Was mostly going by memory of the anime here, so there's bound to be inconsistencies, and I do remember that Ryuumonbuchi only watched the finals, but I also recall that Fujita-pro specifically mentioned Teru and Koromo playing against each other. Somewhere around chapters 55-60 of the manga perhaps?

Spoiler for manga mistranslation:
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 23:54   Link #1214
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Spoiler for manga mistranslation:
So, that would imply: They never faced each other. Oh the travesty.
Old 2012-06-12, 00:16   Link #1215
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm going to now share something admittedly a bit silly with you guys.

I've often compared Saki to pro wrestling because it often has that same pro sports entertainment magic feel to it. Not to mention many 80s/90s pro wrestlers seem to have these superpowers going for them.

Here's some comparisons that those of you familiar with late 1980s to early 1990s WWF might get a kick out of. Otherwise, please skip over it, as the Saki/Hulk Hogan comparison is probably all you'll get.

Spoiler for Saki/WWF comparison:
Old 2012-06-12, 00:21   Link #1216
Kyuu
=^^=

Well. Of course. While the mahjong events within this series are within the realm of possibility - by virtue of being legal with the rules -- the odds of them happening are about slim-to-none. Because of that, these supposed scenarios are encapsulated within these character personalities and linked within their "abilities". Then make it all flashy!

With that, these characters and their "abilities" are pitted against one another in a fictional ALL OUT DEATHMATCH BRAWL. Now on PPV!

EDIT: Btw, I don't watch WWF. XD

EDIT:

Old 2012-06-12, 00:31   Link #1217
Key Board
Carbon

you probably know this already but..

(天)江 衣 Amae Koromo

宮永 (照) Miyanaga Teru

(大)星 淡 Oohoshi Awai

(神)代 小蒔 Komaki Jindai

天照大神 Amaterasu. The Japanese Sun Goddess

All of the following people have been said to be monster class
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 00:34   Link #1218
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Key Board: Heh, a person overthinking things might come to the conclusion that those four are separate aspects of the Sun Goddess come to Earth to show mere mortals how to really play the game.

Koizumi would be proud, regardless.
Old 2012-06-12, 00:46   Link #1219
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I know I haven't really posted in this thread, so this will seem completely random, but... well, I just can't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm going to now share something admittedly a bit silly with you guys.

I've often compared Saki to pro wrestling because it often has that same pro sports entertainment magic feel to it. Not to mention many 80s/90s pro wrestlers seem to have these superpowers going for them.

Here's some comparisons that those of you familiar with late 1980s to early 1990s WWF might get a kick out of. Otherwise, please skip over it, as the Saki/Hulk Hogan comparison is probably all you'll get.

Spoiler for Saki/WWF comparison:
I have to admit, I've been waiting for an excuse to post this, and this is about as good as any.
Spoiler for Adding On:

*e* I can't believe I forgot to mention you forgot something, Triple_R...
Spoiler for Saki/WWF:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2012-06-12 at 01:02.
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 00:51   Link #1220
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Well. Of course. While the mahjong events within this series are within the realm of possibility - by virtue of being legal with the rules -- the odds of them happening are about slim-to-none. Because of that, these supposed scenarios are encapsulated within these character personalities and linked within their "abilities". Then make it all flashy!

With that, these characters and their "abilities" are pitted against one another in a fictional ALL OUT DEATHMATCH BRAWL. Now on PPV!

EDIT: Btw, I don't watch WWF. XD

EDIT:

First is the image I posted... Now this... I can really die without regrets... KILL ME 00 RAISER!

Btw, thats the reason why Toki never sleep with the head facing Ryuuka.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri