AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 31 18.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 31.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 51 30.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 14.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.21%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.61%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.61%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-27, 21:44   Link #81
Lost

Cool Why is called 42? Was it a book? I guess my definition of universe is as a micro-universe? I'm a bump in this micro-system; and I interact with it accordingly; having fun with other bumps like u said, and trying not to make a mess for bumps to come. Tho this micro-universe would be infinitesimally minute in relation to the real universe (physical and time-wise); it is infinitesimally huge to me. Ahwell, better get back to topic.
Old 2006-06-27, 21:47   Link #82
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Spoiler for Off topic:
Well:
Spoiler:
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-27, 21:47   Link #83
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226
Well, a good episode, but not as good as the others. I kinda wanted to slap Kyon, does he not see that Haruhi is having feelings for him. Can he not find any words or actions to comfort her?

It seems this episodes philisophic nature envoked quite a bit of theorizing amongst the fans. A lot of speculations on why we exist it seems. Kinda funny....
It's not very easy for the somewhat pragmatic Kyon to risk it given it's Suzumiya Haruhi now is it... he's already thinking of saying some philosophical anecdote but many times his reference falls to deaf ears to her. He has a load of unanswered questions to deal with himself and Haruhi's revelation is a part of the puzzle. He's more than capable verbally to express himself but he is lost with the revelations pounds him endlessly.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-06-27, 21:50   Link #84
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Oh wait...just one thing...

Spoiler for What is up with this comment??? (right side):

My point being Kyon said the line on the right...@_@...very randomish...
Old 2006-06-27, 21:58   Link #85
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

My thought on Lost and C.A's comments:

Spoiler:

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-06-27, 22:15   Link #86
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Cool Why is called 42? Was it a book? I guess my definition of universe is as a micro-universe? I'm a bump in this micro-system; and I interact with it accordingly; having fun with other bumps like u said, and trying not to make a mess for bumps to come. Tho this micro-universe would be infinitesimally minute in relation to the real universe (physical and time-wise); it is infinitesimally huge to me. Ahwell, better get back to topic.
Vexx was referencing Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy" and the answer the super computer Deep Thought spent 7 1/2 million years calcuating from the ultimate question of "Life, The Universe, and Everything."

And I think that William Shakespere was right on the money with Hamlet's soliloquy that starts with "To Be, or not to be..." (Hamlet, Act III, scene 1)

Wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_be%2C_or_not_to_be
Old 2006-06-27, 22:18   Link #87
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Well:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for off topic:
Old 2006-06-27, 22:22   Link #88
arcticphoenix16

It had alot of talking, but it was interesting enough. I expected the breaking of closed space is more spetacular. I'll give it an 8.
Old 2006-06-27, 22:39   Link #89
diopter

Quote:
Spoiler:
Not really sure why people are spoiler-tagging these as they're not directly related to the episode . Anyway, I like some of the points you brought out, albeit too ideal for my taste. I don't believe humans will live that long; we evolve, and eventually may encounter superior life forms elsewhere, and with our cockish southern attitude we'll get wiped out (/endsarcasm btw). The Big Crunch is a very unlikely feature for the universe. So far the Big Freeze is more probable since the universe is expanding and not slowing down (although it depends on the geometry of the universe, which we obviously don't know right now). And with dark matter possibly existing, it will only assist in further increasing the rate of expansion. But eh, we'll either die off or be integrated into Yuki's Data Entity before we get to that point .

I also agree with C.A. that the OP/ED songs have very good lyrics and meaningful even though they're both slightly too genki for me.

As to others who try to justify or defend the "importance" of existence, I say, "whatever." To me, you don't have to be important to exist. The more I try to justify the importance and think about this issue, the more depressed I get. It's better to defenestrate the issue at hand because I don't think it's relevant. "Importance" is a relative term like "hot" or "cold." I think the show is more about cogito, ergo sum AKA I am thinking, therefore I exist. Her thinking made existence of her wishes, which defines reality for her; but common sense grounded her to "reality" (our reality). It is weird how an anime can make me think so much about philsophy and physics. I think I veered off whatever I originally wanted to talk about, but I think I touched on those points regardless. Someone feel me to return me to whichever hot topic is at hand in this thread .

Oh yeah, this is what I get for being a TA for a quantum physics professor! It was also pretty sad that I actually recognized most of the formulas on the OP credits as soon as I saw the equations.
Old 2006-06-27, 22:42   Link #90
Killer Loli
baka desu

Send a message via AIM to Killer Loli
Quote:
I liked this chapter because of personal reasons and it set me thinking. PM me if you want personal reasons, here are some of the thoughts I had when I read the chapter:
Spoiler:
@Kamui4356: lol I'm glad to know that someone visualised the closed space similar to how I did

I'm not sure those theories like the big bang, big crunch or the big freeze qualify as a spoiler, like you said we could've found out via discovery, wiki or etc...but whatever. Any string theorists out there?
Spoiler:

Haruhi's speech in this episode resonates of existentialism, nothing matters, we're all just a drop in a bucket, a very bleak interpretation of life, some of the posts seem very bleak too, all i have to say is relax, enjoy life, and go watch more Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (maybe in the right order this time, yes no maybe so?)

P.S. GOD PLS PLS PLS let there be a second season, pls pls pls, this is a fantastic show, with more that enough substance for another season
Old 2006-06-27, 22:45   Link #91
Killer Loli
baka desu

Quote:
I liked this chapter because of personal reasons and it set me thinking. PM me if you want personal reasons, here are some of the thoughts I had when I read the chapter:
Spoiler:
@Kamui4356: lol I'm glad to know that someone visualised the closed space similar to how I did

I'm not sure those theories like the big bang, big crunch or the big freeze qualify as a spoiler, like you said we could've found out via discovery, wiki or etc...but whatever. Any string theorists out there?
Spoiler:

Haruhi's speech in this episode resonates of existentialism, nothing matters, we're all just a drop in a bucket, a very bleak interpretation of life, some of the posts seem very bleak too, relax, enjoy life, and go watch more Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (maybe in 'chronological' order this time, yes no maybe so?)

P.S. GOD PLS PLS PLS let there be a second season, pls pls pls, this is a fantastic show, with more that enough substance for another season
Old 2006-06-27, 22:51   Link #92
Killer Loli
baka desu

Sumimasen, really my bad did not mean to post the same thing twice
Old 2006-06-27, 23:02   Link #93
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
@Vexx and panzerfan: After reading both posts, I had some random thoughts lol

Spoiler for , no idea why we are using spoiler tags lol:
That's like every anime song on the planet. Basically me and my friend agree that every anime song has a requirement to fit in a combination the words "Dreams, Follow, Your, Tomorrow, Happiness, Reason, Realize, Love, Sky, Stars and/or Beautiful, Blue, Earth". For Shounen just use antononyms to most of the above mentioned words, Congratulations you've just made a hit anime song and can sit back and collect the royalties.

Honestly to me the tune is what counts as more often than not the lyrics make me want to cry myself to sleep.
Old 2006-06-27, 23:05   Link #94
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Loli
Spoiler:

Haruhi's speech in this episode resonates of existentialism, nothing matters, we're all just a drop in a bucket, a very bleak interpretation of life, some of the posts seem very bleak too, relax, enjoy life, and go watch more Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (maybe in 'chronological' order this time, yes no maybe so?)

That's Nihilism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism. Existentialism is like the exact opposite.
Old 2006-06-27, 23:06   Link #95
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
It was an amazing episode but not a crowd-pleaser so I doubt this'll get high opinion. That'll be reserved for viewing of the final episode (assuming AX events allow us to do so legitimately...fortunately, I know people in Japan). But this touches at the heart of Melancholy in the human condition. Haruhi fights against it and does all those crazy things thus far to get around her heart of Melancholy. To me, this episode is perfect. Even the long-winded dialog got my mind turning. What can I believe about what Itsuki says? It even makes me wonder about the absolute nature of what he's said previously. It's a delicious puzzle box with its soft and rougher moments. One piece is left to this puzzle...And this one gets a ten from me, amazing translation effort too. Absolutely amazing.
Old 2006-06-27, 23:09   Link #96
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

I think this is a great episode and brought up a bunch of good questions. Haruhi explained to us reason why has she always sought after paranormal things. I think itsuki's dialogue in the car is rather interesting.
The closed space part is well done, it's pretty much how I imagined. Like someone already said, the destruction of closed space is maybe abit rushed (we talking about KyoAni quality here), but overall it's a well done episode, and a very fitting episode to setup for a finale.
Old 2006-06-28, 00:15   Link #97
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(the old notes in ontology section suddenly bears to mind right about now. Suzumiya Haruhi fascinated me because of that in the first place, not purely for its premise...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kerina
What can I believe about what Itsuki says? It even makes me wonder about the absolute nature of what he's said previously.
As such, take Kyon with a grain of salt as well... he makes it clear that he is biased against Koizumi Itsuki.

What Killer Loli mentions and Kaioshin_Sama corrects with Nihilism actually would augment Kaioshin's arguments by saying that Haruhi is trapped in a Nihilist dilemma. "Truth does not exist" being the perfect example to use. Her thought manifests in reality as the enclosed space is rooted to the liar paradox. One must apply a degree of relativist view to remedy this clash of 2 absolutes regarding the dull reality within Haruhi's head.

(O yea, I believe in M-theory to an extent. Call me a string believer too but... I am open to more interpretations)

Old 2006-06-28, 00:15   Link #98
Killer Loli
baka desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
That's Nihilism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism. Existentialism is like the exact opposite.

Well not exactly opposites they do have their differences, but both share ideals of a meaningless or absurd universe. Even one of the great philosophers of nihilism, Friedrich Nietzsche, was an existentialist at one point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nietzsc...nd_God_is_dead
Old 2006-06-28, 00:40   Link #99
ECFNW

Gave it a 7.
This episode seem to go by rather quickly, and had ZERO Mikuru air-time.
Old 2006-06-28, 00:54   Link #100
Lost

This series really has its roots in philosophy doesnt it? Or are we just making too much out of it? Sigh. This download is taking forever.

Lol, C.A., I didnt know your personal reasons for your ponderings; sorry if I was too forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diopter
As to others who try to justify or defend the "importance" of existence, I say, "whatever." To me, you don't have to be important to exist.
Yep, you exist, and hence you are important; for the mere fact that you exist. TA? Whats that?
Closed Thread