AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Old 2008-04-11, 08:07   Link #581
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Caught the first episode, and all I can say is "ehhh."
I'm not fond of the style at all, the weird halloween-type things and the trippy moon turn me off.
Well, I love the style personally but then again, maybe I'm just appreciating the all or nothing aspect of it all. It obviously isn't trying to please everyone with its style.

Quote:
Another shounen series about Shinigami is probably the last thing we need, but this one seems to be more "unique" than other longer action series.
Isn't that maybe a bit contradictory? If it already presents itself in such stylization, it's already unique IMO.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I like the premise much, but then again, I thought Fullmetal Alchemist was decent, so I'll continue.
Yikes, I'm not sure how to correlate since I thought FMA was a fine example of an anime.

Quote:
This is another series where I don't find a seiyuu match a character that well, too. The guy (Soul?) was an immature kid with one of those deep brooding voices that I found didn't fit (bad attempt at GAR points.)
If there was anything iffy at all in the show, it's that. And I can understand people not liking Maka's decidedly plain-sounding voice work. Another Gurren Lagann reference, but that kind of in-your-face direction of the show is what I absolutely love personally. I think it's almost silly to put the premise before execution since it's executed so damn well.

But above all, I keep hearing the old "manga takes a turn for the better" argument and I'm just totally excited for it. Thanks for everyone with that kind of message in this thread so far. Hell, that reminds me of Claymore. At first, a lot of people were iffy about Claymore until the manga took an epic turn.

Last edited by SuperKnuckles; 2008-04-11 at 08:21.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 08:26   Link #582
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
And yeah, Yutaka Nakamura animation in the first fight. (( I don't think he animated the Blair fight, but I could be wrong. )) I didn't quite like the OP/ED songs, but the direction was amazing.
The Blair fight? I think it's Suzuki Norimitsu. I wonder duckroll would agree with me.
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 08:35   Link #583
solomon

Yea, I hear that was Suzuki as well (although he doesnt stand out like Nakamura does) I mainly remember him for his sweet endings though.

btw, how do you guys find this stuff out anyways?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 08:51   Link #584
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Downloading LWF subs . . . I haven't been downloading subs from different groups since Baccano! xD Hehe . . now 66.4% . . .oh the wait x_x

I have to agree with SuperKnuckles, Soul Eater with just its first episode has proven to be as awesome as the other well-known shounen anime legends xD If this keeps up, Soul Eater will become a shounen legend as well And oh I look forward to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
51 epsiodes, that scares me quite a bit.
I think 51 episodes will be fine Anime of similar length (like FMA and Mankin) were so fine Be worried if it was set to more than 100 episodes x_x They get ruined often ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I mean seriously, Maka's fighting style was strangely hypnotic. Yes, I think that word fits perfectly on how I feel about this series. I really do feel for those seeing this on a stream site; the show I feel won't be given true justice unless it's seen in HD..
Hypnotic . . .yes, same here *_*

Quote:
Let's just hope it stays up there... but it is I feel a much better kid's show than Zettai Karen Children.
I guess Soul Eater is in a way a kid's show . . . but not at the same level as Zettai Karen Children . . .hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
Hrm.... I dont think I could ever see him as "cool" if that is his intended goal.
You cant be it for wanting to.
Don't worry, that's not his main intended goal xD The acting-cool thing is just part of his character It's similar to a character who wants to maintain good looks that he looks in the mirror often. That sort of thing. *bad in explaining*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
But with the protagonist stating "I want to be cool" "Cool guys guy's dont do X/Y/Z"... He strikes me as a much bigger dork than naruto ever was.
He doesn't go "I want to be cool" often in the later chapters in the manga though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
This is another series where I don't find a seiyuu match a character that well, too. The guy (Soul?) was an immature kid with one of those deep brooding voices that I found didn't fit (bad attempt at GAR points.)
I was shocked when I heard that deep voice of him for the first time. But as I hear him in the actual episode, for me it actually suits him xD And I like it that they deviated from the usual, where they usually use bratty voices for young kids like Soul.
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:07   Link #585
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just a little update regarding me and the manga --- i read the three stories in volume one, and decided to stop. Just like my enjoyment with D.Gray-man, it comes from not knowing what's going to happen next. I also can't ignore the wonderful color usage in this show, something you just don't get in the manga.

I plan to carry on with the manga at a later date, probably once we pass the episode 20 mark.
Old 2008-04-11, 09:21   Link #586
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I see. I also find it more enjoyable if I don't know what happens next.

But I'm an impatient spoiler freak xD I wanna know now I wanna know now I wanna know now!!! xD haha

I love reading manga so surprises on the events of the story go there. But like I think I've already mentioned before, if the anime is done well, even if I'm already aware of what happens next, the animated version still amazes me xD hehe
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:22   Link #587
terrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Just a little update regarding me and the manga --- i read the three stories in volume one, and decided to stop. Just like my enjoyment with D.Gray-man, it comes from not knowing what's going to happen next. I also can't ignore the wonderful color usage in this show, something you just don't get in the manga.

I plan to carry on with the manga at a later date, probably once we pass the episode 20 mark.
Indeed i would of definitely found this even greater if i had not read the manga and quite a few people on 4chan have posted how visually stunning it is and that it has great potential, suprisngly enough. So hopefully more people are going to check this out and we'll finally get our sub-forum and perhaps quicker scanlations for the manga as well
terrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:33   Link #588
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Soultaker is shounen, but not the same level of shounen like Soul Eater, D.Gray-man, Dragonball Z and so on. You shouldn't really compare the two.
Thanks for clarification. I'm a bit wiser now, I think.
Old 2008-04-11, 09:37   Link #589
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrus View Post
Indeed i would of definitely found this even greater if i had not read the manga and quite a few people on 4chan have posted how visually stunning it is and that it has great potential, suprisngly enough. So hopefully more people are going to check this out and we'll finally get our sub-forum and perhaps quicker scanlations for the manga as well
Ugh. 4chan is just putrid. LWF did have their sound messed up, but wow, 'BAD ENCODE. WAAAHHHH'.

I can't believe I used to visit /a/ all the time.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:43   Link #590
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I
Yeah, the moves Maka showed seems to have some sense as far as crazy shonen style martial arts is concerned. Lots of incredible parries, and using the sickle like it probably should be if you can twirl the thing like that. Also, Maka's seiyuu voice sounds decidedly un-seiyuu-esque. It's as if it's some normal civilian voicing her instead of some voice acting superstar. I think that gives her a quirky type of charm. She's already one of the girls to watch in this anime season IMO.
Indeed, her fighting style is rather sexy. It is so unlike most where we have a typical hero who charges in head first. Here we have a hero who charges head first but with a lot of style, and knows what they are doing. The sharp, crisp animation is what I liked from ep 1.

Likewise I don't have any complaints with Maka's voice at all. It sounds boy-ish and "rough" infact but that reflects her character, fighting style very well. Also it isn't a common voice to be hearing with adds to it being special.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:47   Link #591
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Anybody played Soul Caliber III? Some of Maka's moves are reminiscent of Zasalamel's, for example.

Makes me want even more the next episode, as I want to see the next guy's fighting style. Needless to say, I'm not very hyped about the gun guy though lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:54   Link #592
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
I guess Soul Eater is in a way a kid's show . . . but not at the same level as Zettai Karen Children . . .hehe
Ehh, Zettai Karen Children has the same type of perverted humour that Inukami! had, and it definitely was not for children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
I was shocked when I heard that deep voice of him for the first time. But as I hear him in the actual episode, for me it actually suits him xD And I like it that they deviated from the usual, where they usually use bratty voices for young kids like Soul.
Young kids like Soul are the bratty types, though. That being said, Soul is one of these types of characters; no mature character has anime nosebleeds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Indeed, her fighting style is rather sexy. It is so unlike most where we have a typical hero who charges in head first. Here we have a hero who charges head first but with a lot of style, and knows what they are doing. The sharp, crisp animation is what I liked from ep 1.
It's hard to have a scythe and fight normally with it, since it just has so much potential for the "cool factor". I actually watched the scythe fighting scene against the first evil-creature-thing several times because of its pure awesomeness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Likewise I don't have any complaints with Maka's voice at all. It sounds boy-ish and "rough" infact but that reflects her character, fighting style very well. Also it isn't a common voice to be hearing with adds to it being special.
I though at first that her voice didn't fit, but the more I thought about it, I realised that she's not the type of character who would have a cute girly voice nor something masculine, so the midway was about perfect.

Ehh.
Female protagonist in a shounen series makes me happy, so I'll probably follow it through.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:56   Link #593
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

I'm a huge fan of the way they animated her fighting style. She has a giant scythe for Christ sakes, so she can just go in there and swing and expect to get results.

It seems really refined in the animation, and that helps sell it. Major plus points.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 10:06   Link #594
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'm not very hyped about the gun guy though lol.
Care to share your reason behind not hyped on seeing Devil the Kid?

Let me guess, Guns seem less wow compared to the other two weapons?

I guess i should change my avatar to something Soul Eater related.
Old 2008-04-11, 10:16   Link #595
Medousa
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Medousa
Quote:

Kidd is fun, and his weapons are great, even compared to other weapon. Normally, I don't really like guns, but Kidd's weapons are great. Probably because he have two, nee?

But, My favorite still ...

Spoiler:

BTW, Freebies. Blair animated avis, anyone?=)

Spoiler for Some avis~.:
Old 2008-04-11, 10:20   Link #596
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
I'm not very hyped about the gun guy though lol.
Dude, you'll like him. He's a badass, plus he's incredibly 'stupid'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
Care to share your reason behind not hyped on seeing Devil the Kid
It's Death the Kidd. Maybe taken from Billy the Kid from the Wild West series.

And yes, this show already need its own sub-forum.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 10:23   Link #597
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Really Liked The First Ep..It Kinda Reminded Me Of D.Gray-Man
With That Shingami-Sama
Well..Add This Anime To My List ^.^
Old 2008-04-11, 10:26   Link #598
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
I really could care less about the cool factor; I just want impressive fight scenes. Melee weapons has parrying, dodging, striking, blocking, and the actualy fighting style itself giving it the 'wow' factor.

Guns? You pretty much dodge attacks and just shoot the gun. Remember Indiana Jones when he went against the guy who flashes his sword so crazily, only to be shot dead by Harrison Ford? Yeah, it was hilarious, but nothing impressive there.

Not like I have anything against that, mind you. It's just the hook Soul Eater has for me would be the fabolous fight scenes, and I highly doubt the gun guy would provide much entertainment in that regard. Of course, Bones could prove me wrong...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 10:34   Link #599
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:

I guess i should change my avatar to something Soul Eater related.
Generally, guns don't have the "cool factor" that other weapons have. (ever wonder why all these anime are about people with swords or fists?)
And scythe = sword x 2 in coolness.
Quote:
Guns? You pretty much dodge attacks and just shoot the gun. Remember Indiana Jones when he went against the guy who flashes his sword so crazily, only to be shot dead by Harrison Ford? Yeah, it was hilarious, but nothing impressive there.
It's a bit off-topic, but
Spoiler for video:

It's obscure but it's near the end. Gun vs. knives.

Yes, the AMV is... special, but you don't find many Baccano! AMVs.
Keep in mind the real fight was cooler, but the speed of the video and the song kind of lose it.

If uhhh, Brains-base? can do this, Bones can.

Generally, the "cool factor" of a weapon is mainly how nice you can animate it in a fight.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 10:39   Link #600
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
go tell Revy that her twin berretta 92fs dont have any "cool factor" (or any other gunwielder from black lagoon )
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, death the kid, shounen, soul eater