AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-22, 04:09   Link #921
turn_self_off

excuse me while i go format my brain, i read that as "underwear"...
turn_self_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 04:43   Link #922
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Send a message via MSN to RebootEDC Send a message via Yahoo to RebootEDC
Boku Satchii!!!

Proudly enjoying Hanime Gratix™ since 2003
RebootEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 11:27   Link #923
wao
OK.

turn_self_off: I think you should be blaming Maidsx3 and the others who post loads of artwork here, actually.

And now that Ureshii has released the last two episodes of Dennou Coil, I demand everyone who was watching the Ureshii releases to say SOMETHING about the show!
Old 2007-12-22, 11:33   Link #924
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
And now that Ureshii has released the last two episodes of Dennou Coil, I demand everyone who was watching the Ureshii releases to say SOMETHING about the show!
SOMETHING.

Just kidding, I haven't watched any DC (or any anime for that matter) for the last month and half at least.

So, did the ending kick ass? Is there an incentive to drop stuff down and go see, or can it wait? No spoilers, please.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 11:37   Link #925
wao
OK.

No no, that only works if I left out the "about the show" part. ;(

And well, where did you stop watching it at? I think you might actually enjoy the second half very much particularly starting from 18 onwards as it's quite fast-paced and exciting. A lot of crazy twists and it doesn't actually feel all that contrived, albeit becoming more like a typical anime plot- and presentation-wise.

The ending is satisfying enough, I suppose. That's all I'd say.
Old 2007-12-22, 11:46   Link #926
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I watched up to episode 20 (or 21). The one where they rescue Romi Paku.

I guess I'll marathon it to the end as soon as I finish watching GITS SAC dvds. Which are Teh Shit, by the way, if you pardon my language, mostly because of the little video interviews that director Kamiyama is doing with cast and crew members. I think we've talked about "director of photography" job in this thread a long time ago. Well, it turns out that this is not just compositing, but a butt-load of other wildly exciting animation stuff. I didn't understand the half of all the lingo (camera mapping?)

Wish other dvds had this kind of material. Would kill for a visual interview where people from Noein or Coil go over their little odds and ends.
Old 2007-12-22, 12:01   Link #927
wao
OK.

Oh, okay. There's still some pretty important stuff from there onwards so I figure it won't be bad to go marathon it until the end.

Noein didn't have people explaining each single bit but it had some droolsome extras in the form of certain scenes' raw genga, then cleaned-up with in-betweens and then with the other stuff added in. By pausing and looking you can kinda guess how they do things like animate a specific part of a static painted background, and you get a real feel of the animators' lines.

In that respect I'm still kind of sad that all Coil has in the extras are the storyboard books - well okay, it really is pretty damn awesome rather than just having loads of contentless seiyuu-related stuff like many anime out there, but for such a well-animated show I would have dearly loved more features regarding the animation production. What I'd do to see Mitsuo Iso explaining his use of AfterEffects and so on...

As for Director of Photography, watching the Tekkon Kinkreet extras gave me the impression that they oversee much of the processing - not just the composition of 3D and 2D elements and putting the scenes together, but adding and coordinating many sorts of special effects (I think). For example the "fuzzy" shadows in TK were added during that stage, not during digital painting... As for moving the camera in Noein you can see that when you have the same animated characters moving but you need to move the camera at the same time it becomes pretty complicated - there was a shot of Karasu moving around and many overlapping rectangular frames in the background indicating camera movement. I'd never want to do a job like that...
I suppose when it comes to digital trickery in Dennou Coil it's mostly special effects and textures? Not saying they're not a piece of cake, but in general I get the feeling that it doesn't employ flashy techniques most of the time. I dunno, though I wish I did. Sometimes I almost wish they'd use less still pans, by the way...
Old 2007-12-22, 12:20   Link #928
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Yeah, I've seen that Ryochimo clip on YouTube. I wonder if the rest of these extras it's on the Region 1 discs?

As for Denno Coil, I concur that it doesn't have and spectacularly complex sequences, but personally I can say that with DC I am mostly drawn to the story and the way in which the presentation evokes a certain feeling that augments Iso's message.

Iso and crew did a fine job with 3D-shaders and texture mapping and mostly it's just solid, very consistent work. I very much appreciate the fact that characters stay on-format for the entirety of the show. A rarity for the costcutting-prone industry, IMHO, although some might say that this just the expected minimum.
Old 2007-12-22, 21:52   Link #929
jinalbert

Okay, overall this show is very well done. Drawing, directing, storyline: sci-fi, humor, and horror(who say a shadow human can not be scary).

The problem with this series lie on the amount of information presented to the viewers. A lot of the background history are filled bit-by-bit as you go along. There are several parts of the story didn't make much sense to me. Maybe it's because I tend to forget the details after several weeks. If this was a book, a three hour movie, or a shorter series, then it would have been better.

I know people like to be challenge when they are watching this type of movie or series, but the subtle explanations flew in mass near the end at mach3 speed just go over my head. Either dumb down the explanation near the end, or give viewers more time to think by revealing the plot a bit sooner, like around episode 23.

In the end, I hope there is a second season... to explain more details.
Beside we need to know what happen to Sosuke.

Anyway, thx to the ureshii people for subbing this series. Probably one of the hardest series to understand and translate.
jinalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 06:47   Link #930
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinalbert View Post
Okay, overall this show is very well done. Drawing, directing, storyline: sci-fi, humor, and horror(who say a shadow human can not be scary).

The problem with this series lie on the amount of information presented to the viewers. A lot of the background history are filled bit-by-bit as you go along. There are several parts of the story didn't make much sense to me. Maybe it's because I tend to forget the details after several weeks. If this was a book, a three hour movie, or a shorter series, then it would have been better.

I know people like to be challenge when they are watching this type of movie or series, but the subtle explanations flew in mass near the end at mach3 speed just go over my head. Either dumb down the explanation near the end, or give viewers more time to think by revealing the plot a bit sooner, like around episode 23.

In the end, I hope there is a second season... to explain more details.
Beside we need to know what happen to Sosuke.

Anyway, thx to the ureshii people for subbing this series. Probably one of the hardest series to understand and translate.
I disagree with a few things. For one, the point of the show was to drop hints and bits here and there. I agree it was confusing and felt like I was being left behind somehow, but that was the whole point. I actually didn't necessarily enjoy Denno Coil a lot because I felt I was getting out of touch with the story. Not until the final episode that brought it together so wonderfully.

I do agree that the show dangerously went close to psycho/technobabble multiple times. If it was a little bit more straightforward, maybe it'd be easier to understand. Then again, that could have diluted the mystery too.

Spoiler:
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 13:00   Link #931
Muddle!

Send a message via AIM to Muddle!
I've just recently finished this series and have to say it was pretty great, and definitely one of my favorite shows of the year. There where a few things I didn't like in the last arc though...

Spoiler for Things that bothered me:

All in all though I really hope Iso decides to helm another series, because this one was very enjoyable!

Last edited by Muddle!; 2007-12-23 at 13:43. Reason: Spelling; Wording choices
Muddle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 19:05   Link #932
turn_self_off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddle! View Post
Spoiler for Things that bothered me:
Spoiler for just to be safe:
Old 2007-12-24, 02:47   Link #933
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Actually, a whole lot of characters were 'brushed aside' in this show. Daichi and the rest of the hacker club were basically second string characters and basically disappeared near the end, the Mayumi confrontation literally lasted only like two minutes, and Fumie seemed like she didn't even belong in the story.

Basically, the entire show was basically about Isako with a healthy helping of Yasako tagging along.

It's still an amazing series, but I agree that too many characters got too little of meaningful screen time.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 06:09   Link #934
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Actually, a whole lot of characters were 'brushed aside' in this show. Daichi and the rest of the hacker club were basically second string characters and basically disappeared near the end, the Mayumi confrontation literally lasted only like two minutes, and Fumie seemed like she didn't even belong in the story.

Basically, the entire show was basically about Isako with a healthy helping of Yasako tagging along.

It's still an amazing series, but I agree that too many characters got too little of meaningful screen time.
I'd agree with all that, but I do think that a lot of the reason behind the sidelining of people like Daichi and the hacker club was that they really didn't fit into the story any more after it took a more serious turn and stopped just being about rival kids finding illegals and collecting kirabugs.

Isako and Yasako were the core of the plot, after all, and as the plot focused more tightly on them it was inevitable side characters would fall by the wayside.

Mind you, during that stellar last episode this little voice in the back of my mind was saying "Gosh. This is all heading a bit Yuri-wards, isn't it?"
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 07:06   Link #935
turn_self_off

hrmf, cant two people of the same gender be good friends these days without people thinking sexual undertones?
Old 2007-12-24, 22:52   Link #936
aboutblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn_self_off View Post
hrmf, cant two people of the same gender be good friends these days without people thinking sexual undertones?
On a somewhat related note, I went searching for Dennou Coil stuff and a good chunk of the fanart made me want to punch my screen/gouge my eyes out. They're 12 years, old people! Only 12! =P
aboutblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 23:48   Link #937
SeoJi

Just finished this series and I liked it a lot. Though I wish they introduced number 4 & 6 of the Coil Dennō Detective Agency.
SeoJi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 17:32   Link #938
ArabianSwan
Ureshii ^_^

Send a message via AIM to ArabianSwan
I have been reading this thread since Coil started... I just wanted to see how this amazing will end before I add my comment... well I normally don't do so

It's very rare to see a show that falls into many genre as Coil. Most of the shows aired in the last 2 years follows some already established pattern: mecha, school/romance, harem.. and so on. Few of them held my interest past the first episodes. I felt watching one of each is like watching them all.

Then Coil came. First it looked like a kiddy show. Well not our average kiddy show with all these sci-fi info and cyberspace but still the target was the ~12 years old and so. But to be honest, Coil did not fail to attract more audience just being a unique show in every aspect I can't even state in few lines. It really made my head spins around few times I had to re-watch few episodes

Anyway, Dennou Coil is one of the best show I have seen so far. The start was captivating, and the end was amazing. I really hope Iso will be back soon with more goodies.
ArabianSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 13:30   Link #939
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Send a message via MSN to RebootEDC Send a message via Yahoo to RebootEDC
Hey! It's ArabianSwan!
Thanks, Ureshii, for subbing this great series!

Proudly enjoying Hanime Gratix™ since 2003
RebootEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 16:36   Link #940
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Yerah, thanks a lot to Ureshii for bringing us one of the best anime of the year.

Tags
science fiction