AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Old 2013-05-10, 00:31   Link #1841
vanca

Well well be prepared, we get possibly another death flag for Shoko

There will be special event for Valvrave on Sep 29th, with almost all the casts and singers confirmed to attend (LOL look at the price, 6666 yen! )

www.valvrave.com

日時 : 2013年9月29日(日) 17 時開場 / 18時開演予定
場所 : パシフィコ横浜 国立大ホール(横浜市西区みなとみらい1-1-1)
出演 : 【CAST】 逢坂良太、木村良平、戸松 遥、小野友樹、茅野愛衣、
中村悠一、寿 美菜子、悠木 碧、福山 潤 小野大輔、水樹奈々 ほか
【ARTIST】 T.M.Revolution×水樹奈々、angela、ELISA(敬称略)

チケット料金 : 6,666円(税込)
発売 : Blu-ray&DVD「革命機ヴァルヴレイヴ」第1巻(6/26 発売)
または第2巻(7/24 発売)の完全生産限定版をご購入いただいた方を対象に、
先行優先販売受付を行います。
(受付期間 : 2013年6月26日(水) 10:00 ~ 8月6日(火) 18:00)
お問合せ : ホットスタッフ・プロモーション 03-5720-9999
(平日15:00~18:00/土・日・祝は除く)

Recognize someone missing? It's Shoko's VA, Asami Seto. She isn't on the list.

Here some of comments from Japanese's VVV forum:

- Def. suspicious, yes there are some VA missing and there "etc" written, but Shoko is heroine. Her VA's name should be there. Is this means Shoko gonna die? The event will be on Sep 29th, after the season 1 ends after all.
- Since when the VA not attending event means the character will die? Probably just schedule problems.
- No way, there many more seasoned VAs will attend, why Seto Asami who is still a rookie has schedule problem. Ohsaka Ryota also a rookie yet there he is. Plus, it's still 4 more months for goodness sake, how could there be schedule problem that far away? And before this, she always invited to any VVV's events, with Ohsaka san (Haruto) and Kimura san (L-11).
-Let's see, the ones missing are: Shoko's VA, Misato Fukuen (Marie), Hiroyuki Yoshino (Yusuke the nerd), Miyano mamoru (H-Neun), Yoshimasa Hosoya (X-Eins), Kaji Yuki (Q-Vier). They all gonna die? And I guess they still keep pink twin-tailed girl's VA a secret.
- Seto, Fukuen, Yoshino are in the same management. But Nana Mizuki and Nakamura Yuuichi also, yet they're in the attendant list.
-Chihayafuru event maybe? After all Chihaya, Taichi, Arata all missing here. But Ai Kayano (Aina) is there so I wonder.
- Hikz, I thought being a radio MC with Ohsaka san (Haruto) will make her save?

All in all, VVV proven to be a very enjoyable ride to Japanese too, if just this event news can make such uproar among viewers

Last edited by vanca; 2013-05-10 at 01:13.
vanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 00:34   Link #1842
~BC~

Holy crap was it difficult finding this episode without the lagging.

Anyway, after this whole past week of "gloom and doom" predictions from the fandom I was actually surprised by how mundane the real conflict was. Basically it was the usual high school upper vs. lower classmen beef with a pinch of survival drama. Maybe if the weather problems had lasted longer (or more attention had been given to the issue of time in general) it would have felt more dire. But obviously the writer isn't interested in going there yet.

Glad there was some logic behind Shoko's singing and that she wasn't just doing it for the sake of randomness. Though it probably would've been better to just recommend exercise (also insulating a few rooms wouldn't have hurt). Still, she's obviously still learning. They all are.

Quote:
The students now without rules and responsible adults, are basically acting like kids who are left home alone without their parents or a babysitter for the first time. They act irresponsibly and do every fun thing they can think of without any though to the consequences. The module is heating the place up to high summer heats as it tries to compensate for the module being away from the artificial sun. (Yeah, WHY was that a good idea again?)
They made rules and assigned duties. The problem is that there are things, like enforcing said rules and making up for the lack of certain kinds of professionals (electrician) that they didn't properly take into consideration. They also don't seem to have properly established a governing administration. The School Council was not designed with ruling a country in mind. As it is now, it seems like people are going to pick and choose when to acknowledge someone as an authority figure.

Anyway, one thing I like about the Saki/Haruto/Shoko triangle is that neither girl seems to be going out of their way to rib the other over jealousy. I'm glad the two tried to back each other up when Takahi and co. tried to pull rank.

Not sure about Saki's action at the end though. Sometimes I wonder if there isn't some sort of thrill element to her interest in Haruto (she was a little too happy about their discovery). Don't mind that she goes after she wants but making her this physically forward seems to set some negative flags in anime fandom I notice.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 00:47   Link #1843
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
Great....new plot twist. MC's father is the creator of a super robot
Well, technically it could be his mother, "Tokishima-sensei" could be either one. But having a parent as the creator of the MCs mech reminds me of Tim Ray from the original Gundam days. Hope this Haruto' dad/mom doesn't end up like Amuro's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post

They made rules and assigned duties. The problem is that there are things, like enforcing said rules and making up for the lack of certain kinds of professionals (electrician) that they didn't properly take into consideration. They also don't seem to have properly established a governing administration. The School Council was not designed with ruling a country in mind. As it is now, it seems like people are going to pick and choose when to acknowledge someone as an authority figure.

Not sure about Saki's action at the end though. Sometimes I wonder if there isn't some sort of thrill element to her interest in Haruto (she was a little too happy about their discovery). Don't mind that she goes after she wants but making her this physically forward seems to set some negative flags in anime fandom I notice.
If there is no one to back the rules up, then there might as well be none. That spineless Satomi definitely isn't going to do it! What happens when the kids say, "I don't want to do this! I'm going to play video games!" or something else that teenagers say when they get tired of a responsibility or get lazy? There is absolutely no authority to make them do any different. Fluffy big-boobed teacher isn't going to do anything and the physics teacher could care less. I really don't see them being able to maintain this for much longer, especially if this little malfunction almost tore them apart.

As for Saki, I've been suspicious of her for a long time. There's just something weird about her suddenly being interested in Haruto when they barely notice her. Plus the coldness that she has about her, and the way she said she was used to violence makes me think she has some dark elements to her backstory.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 00:53   Link #1844
Destined_Fate

I hope Shoko doesn't die. If anything I would take that with a grain of salt as they seem to enjoy trolling us with twists so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
Great....new plot twist. MC's father is the creator of a super robot
Or he just found it, it was mentioned that they're far too advanced even for the JIOR and seemed alien.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 01:01   Link #1845
Irenesharda

I'd say more supernatural than extraterrestrial. Especially when he made that "deal with the devil" comment.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-10, 01:01   Link #1846
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

You know, if I were living under the oppression of Space Nazi Germany and couldn't leave my house without fear of being shot, and some dumb kids from my country who managed to escape sent out of a video of them fucking around and being safe and happy, I wouldn't exactly feel better about my current situation at all.
That's just me though.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 01:08   Link #1847
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A few general observations after Episode 5:

1. I'm pleasantly surprised that the (predictable/realistic) repercussions of breaking a module off from a Dyson Sphere was tackled this episode. I honestly thought they'd just hand-wave that away entirely. So even though the way they handled it might not be entirely accurate to real world science, I appreciate how they're at least trying to have a semblance of believability to this show.

2. While practical problems with the student government setup was explored in this episode, the overall vibe still struck me as being supportive of Shouko and her decision. In other words, yeah, these students are a motley crew indeed, but through guts and professional otaku know-how (lol ) they're going to make their cute, little nation-state a success! Hey, they're still internet celebrities, and that's clearly what counts most in this show, lol. And hey, even ARUS cares about them! - i.e. "Even the United States cares about us independent Japanese kids, and is supporting our liberty and freedom and independence! Those mean, grouchy, old geezer Arus politicians have no choice but to support us!"

3. With No. 2 in mind, this student government makes me think of Guilty Crown's student government crossed with Summer Wars' heavy internet-focus and general idealism.

4. Saki is either a Space Vampire who is relieved to find another Space Vampire that she can enjoy a beautiful, intense, and private romance with... or she's just a sophisticated girl with a somewhat dark past that likes alpha males and has correctly pegged Haruto as one. In any event, I currently find Saki-Haruto more interesting than Shouko-Haruto.

5. On the whole, Episode 5 was pretty fun. I hope to see more mecha action in next week's episode though.
Old 2013-05-10, 01:23   Link #1848
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Saki firing full volley I see

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 01:24   Link #1849
~BC~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
If there is no one to back the rules up, then there might as well be none. That spineless Satomi definitely isn't going to do it! What happens when the kids say, "I don't want to do this! I'm going to play video games!" or something else that teenagers say when they get tired of a responsibility or get lazy? There is absolutely no authority to make them do any different. Fluffy big-boobed teacher isn't going to do anything and the physics teacher could care less. I really don't see them being able to maintain this for much longer, especially if this little malfunction almost tore them apart.
Well, Takahi and co. were certainly ready to do their own kind of enforcing. And I'm sure Raizo would be up for it as well. But clearly no one has thought about making a proper administration that focuses on enforcement. They seem to be working from the logic of "we each do our part for the good of the whole group". But I think it all comes down to them still being in "student" mode and not realizing that certain things that were a normal part of their high school experience serve no real purpose in the path they've chosen. If they want to be a real independent country they need to seriously get on creating a government.
Old 2013-05-10, 01:27   Link #1850
Finre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
It would be interesting if Haruto ends up being the pilot of ALL the Valvraves and just has to exchange one for another. Or if he can control them wirelessly or something.
Hahahaha imagine him getting inside all the valvraves and use them on a whim .
Finre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 01:31   Link #1851
Shadow X
Stargazing

The other "valvrave" in the hanger at the end simply looks to me like a changeable parts for his Valvrave-1.

Oh well we will find out next week anyway.
Old 2013-05-10, 01:32   Link #1852
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanca View Post
Well well be prepared, we get possibly another death flag for Shoko

[snip]
Would they kill her twice and so soon? I kinda doubt it..

on the hand..

have you ever watched another Sunrise mecha show called Zegapain?

remember what happened
Spoiler:

maybe it's something like that?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 01:33   Link #1853
iCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A few general observations after Episode 5:

1. I'm pleasantly surprised that the (predictable/realistic) repercussions of breaking a module off from a Dyson Sphere was tackled this episode. I honestly thought they'd just hand-wave that away entirely. So even though the way they handled it might not be entirely accurate to real world science, I appreciate how they're at least trying to have a semblance of believability to this show.

2. While practical problems with the student government setup was explored in this episode, the overall vibe still struck me as being supportive of Shouko and her decision. In other words, yeah, these students are a motley crew indeed, but through guts and professional otaku know-how (lol ) they're going to make their cute, little nation-state a success! Hey, they're still internet celebrities, and that's clearly what counts most in this show, lol. And hey, even ARUS cares about them! - i.e. "Even the United States cares about us independent Japanese kids, and is supporting our liberty and freedom and independence! Those mean, grouchy, old geezer Arus politicians have no choice but to support us!"

3. With No. 2 in mind, this student government makes me think of Guilty Crown's student government crossed with Summer Wars' heavy internet-focus and general idealism.

4. Saki is either a Space Vampire who is relieved to find another Space Vampire that she can enjoy a beautiful, intense, and private romance with... or she's just a sophisticated girl with a somewhat dark past that likes alpha males and has correctly pegged Haruto as one. In any event, I currently find Saki-Haruto more interesting than Shouko-Haruto.

5. On the whole, Episode 5 was pretty fun. I hope to see more mecha action in next week's episode though.
I bolded your 4th observation out of your 5th to extract my thoughts on it. Remember Saki was a celebrity/idol before coming to school. An idol/celebrity has to maintain an public image (judging by her song, her character didn't seem like she would sleep around, maybe Saki is as "pure" as Shouko, but way more mature than her.), and what we know so far is that Saki thought she'd given up on her musical dream, but then found Haruto as an inspiration(maybe?). We can also assume that she didn't have a public boyfriend because no one asked/teased if she had a boyfriend or not nor was it mentioned thus far. So she not might be into Alpha males per say(She also didn't understand why Haruto pushed her off of him and was confused by all sorts, with this we can believe she was never rejected by any guy she chased or haruto is the first guy she has had feelings for(i'm hoping its the latter). Now here is an important statement, Saki used to be an idol/celebrity before her sudden retirement..(maybe adults tricked her(remember past episodes Saki stated that adults should never be trusted or something along the lines. We also learned that she is used to violence, so maybe her becoming an idol was to get away from her abusing family/ or retiring because her agent/manager was abusive.). Now, if you went from being a famous idol to a regular high school student, you would believe life would be exciting and new? No, for Saki it was completely boring and uninteresting, as you can see in episode one where she would just sit quietly and stare at her phone all day( not make any social contact at all). She started showing interest for Haruto when he ran up to the Valvrave, it became clear that she was fully interested when he defeated a dorsian fleet by himself by sending a friend request to him. Well with all this, I just believe Saki wants to spice up her boring ordinary life with romance and action thus trying to get closer to Haruto, though I also believe she actually has romantic feelings for Haruto (when he stepped forward to help her and grabbed her hands two times, she gasped. When she gasped, we can also assume that people would rarely help her, or she was shocked that she might get abused again. Either way, she is not used to being touched(gently/in a non abusive manner), but with Haruto, she seems perfectly fine.)

Last edited by iCK; 2013-05-10 at 01:45.
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 01:34   Link #1854
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You know, if I were living under the oppression of Space Nazi Germany and couldn't leave my house without fear of being shot, and some dumb kids from my country who managed to escape sent out of a video of them fucking around and being safe and happy, I wouldn't exactly feel better about my current situation at all.
That's just me though.
Well it's giving them "hope" that there is another way than the current path. Besides...

Singing!

And now Badass Haruto because Saki made him into a man!

But wait...

If L-Elf is a man than what could Shoko even do with him... Unless she somehow can turn him into Kenshiro by copying Saki.

Nahhhhh... That would be crazy if he started going "Atatatatatatatatata-Wata~!".
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 01:36   Link #1855
~BC~

Oh yeah, and I have to echo this question. What's up with Saki biting Takahi? She seemed to think something would happen. Further hint that she's familiar with Haruto's condition? I mean she can't be silly enough to think simply being around him will give her the same ability.

Hope or not, they definitely could've toned down the sugar in that song. I don't blame A-Drei and Q-Vier for their reactions at all.
Old 2013-05-10, 01:40   Link #1856
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Oh yeah, and I have to echo this question. What's up with Saki biting Takahi? She seemed to think something would happen. Further hint that she's familiar with Haruto's condition? I mean she can't be silly enough to think simply being around him will give her the same ability.
Of course she knows. She was there the whole time when Haruto did the body switch with LLF, remember.

Haruto, Error-Elf and herself are the only ones in that school who know the most right now.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 01:43   Link #1857
~BC~

Familiar, as in she knew about it even before she met Haruto. That's speculation at this point.
Old 2013-05-10, 01:43   Link #1858
Irenesharda

Quote:
Well, Takahi and co. were certainly ready to do their own kind of enforcing. And I'm sure Raizo would be up for it as well. But clearly no one has thought about making a proper administration that focuses on enforcement. They seem to be working from the logic of "we each do our part for the good of the whole group". But I think it all comes down to them still being in "student" mode and not realizing that certain things that were a normal part of their high school experience serve no real purpose in the path they've chosen. If they want to be a real independent country they need to seriously get on creating a government.
The thing is, they're acting like kids, which is understandable as that's what they are. You can't expect all those 400+ students to be a mature governmental body. I think some can stand up to the challenge, but all of them? I doubt it. Even the ones who "enforce" were acting like kids locked alone in a candy store. Takahi and friends were running around in bridal gowns, Raizo and company were going to porno theaters and drawing pics in the street.

The only ones who seemed to be doing anything of substance was the ones who were helping with washing, the ones clearing rubble, and the student council. Unfortunately like I said, the student council is not enforcing crap.

It's only been a week so right now everyone is still on Cloud 9, but let's say 3 weeks go by, a month? I don't think these kids can last under these conditions. Unless they do as you say and step up and create some form of government that the rest of the student body will adhere to (which I doubt since there really aren't any effective consequences that teens can give other teens without this getting really dark), they are going to be their own undoing.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-10, 01:44   Link #1859
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCK View Post
I bolded your 4th observation out of your 5th to extract my thoughts on it. Remember Saki was a celebrity/idol before coming to school. An idol/celebrity has to maintain an public image (judging by her song, her character didn't seem like she would sleep around, maybe Saki is as "pure" as Shouko, but way more mature than her.), and what we know so far is that Saki thought she'd given up on her musical dream, but then found Haruto as an inspiration(maybe?). We can also assume that she didn't have a public boyfriend because no one asked/teased if she had a boyfriend or not nor was it mentioned thus far. So she not might be into Alpha males per say. Now here is an important statement, Saki used to be an idol/celebrity before her sudden retirement..(maybe adults tricked her(remember past episodes Saki stated that adults should never be trusted or something along the lines). Now, if you went from being a famous idol to a regular high school student, you would believe life would be exciting and new? No, for Saki it was completely boring and uninteresting, as you can see in episode one where she would just sit quietly and stare at her phone all day( not make any social contact at all). She started showing interest for Haruto when he ran up to the Valvrave, it became clear that she was fully interested when he defeated a dorsian fleet by himself by sending a friend request to him. Well with all this, I just believe Saki wants to spice up her boring ordinary life with romance and action thus trying to get closer to Haruto, though I also believe she actually has romantic feelings for Haruto (when he stepped forward to help her and grabbed her hands two times, she gasped.)
I'm not saying that Saki's feelings for Haruto are insincere. I think she really does feel some affection for him, and not just passion. But as you say, she became interested in him because of how he showed himself to be a decisive man of action.

People can say what they will about Haruto, but the guy gets things done. He's in there, he's involved, he's certainly no Shinji Ikari. He even tried to break up the female characters fighting amongst themselves in this episode. Deep down inside, he still thinks of himself as a monster, but he still struggles on, trying to support everyone as best as he can.

Yes, it's not hard to see why Saki would find him inspirational.

I also think Saki now sees a commonality between her and Haruto - Both of them have dark secrets and personal regrets, but try their best to help others in spite of it (as Saki did with her singing in this episode). Haruto expressing deep regret this episode makes Saki even more aware of how they're kindred spirits. Hence, her becoming suddenly overcome with passion, and choosing to kiss him.
Old 2013-05-10, 01:51   Link #1860
Irenesharda

Quote:

Hope or not, they definitely could've toned down the sugar in that song. I don't blame A-Drei and Q-Vier for their reactions at all.
That song wasn't the best insert song I've ever heard.
Let's just say that someone like Lacus (the last mecha idol character I've seen) could sing rings around her.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Tags
action, body swapping, fukujun, love polygon, mecha, sci-fi, space, space idol, vampire