AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think that given the US laws, Polasnki should be judged for the crime he has d
Yes 41 85.42%
No 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-29, 11:56   Link #21
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Just because she had wanted to be a famous model at 13 years does not mean that she consented to have sex. It could be that her resistance was diminished because Polanski drugged her, or because she was (rationally) afraid that resisting a rich and powerful older male would lead to bad results. The reason she's not condemning him now is because she's moved on with her life after so many years. Who would want to remember bad memories?

@Telmah: He was prosecuted, and plead guilty in some sort of deal. The judge declared the deal to be BS and sentenced him differently, upon which he fled the country.
She did again like others have noted say no. Yes, she was drugged, in other factors go to the wayside in that case, at least that's the way I feel. Finally, once complaint is filed, I think it is out of her hands anyway.

When you come to another country, you are forced to obey their laws or suffer the conquences. If you don't like their legal system with its quirks, then don't go there or don't do anything wrong.

I read in Europe, if you get a DIU (ie drunk driving), you can lose your liscence for life. I thought that was pretty harsh until I saw in Cuba, you are executed for it. Laws vary quite a bit from place to place, but a different country is a different country. The US is more open to violence (we have little gun control compared to Europe or Japan), but sexually repressed in contrast. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

I just don't think he has any ground to stand on--our age of consent is 18, there was no consent, and he used wine and drugs on her--it is an open and shut case in my book.
Telmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:13   Link #22
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Originally, if i understood correctly the case, there wasn't any consent. They just made a deal that reduced the sentence from 30 years of prison to 4 years if he was pleading guildty for sexual intercourse with a 13yo girl, sodomy, that he drugged her etc. but not rape. Originally there was 5 charges against him, including Rape.

So there's little to no doubt about all that he has done.
I'm guessing that the prosecutor agreed to the plea bargain out of protecting the victim from having to attend the trial (and risking further emotional damage)? A plea agreement in the U.S. (as far as I know) needs the judge to sign off before sentencing; if the judge does not agree that justice has been served, he/she is not bound to accept the agreement, which makes it null.

The fact that Roman Polanski then fleeing the country before sentencing should not mean that he cannot be sentenced in absentia as well.

Is France (or its government) unhappy because of the years now passed, Roman Polanski is a French citizen, both, or some other reason? The statement by Frederic Mitterand (Culture minister) of the director having been "thrown to the lions" makes it seem like Polanski is some sacrificial lamb... OTOH, Poland's prime minister wants more restraint in his Cabinet in defending Roman Polanski.

Edit: Interestingly, Poland has okayed forcible castration on pedophiles...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!

Last edited by LynnieS; 2009-09-29 at 12:23. Reason: Added link to news story.
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:31   Link #23
justsomeguy

Maybe the French are protesting because they don't like "losing" to England/USA.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:32   Link #24
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post

Is France (or its government) unhappy because of the years now passed, Roman Polanski is a French citizen, both, or some other reason? The [url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090929/ap_en_ce/eu_switzerland_polanski]statement[/url by Frederic Mitterand (Culture minister) of the director having been "thrown to the lions" makes it seem like Polanski is some sacrificial lamb... OTOH, Poland's prime minister wants more restraint in his Cabinet in defending Roman Polanski.
You know, I am ashamed of the french government.

(edit: I removed a part, to avoid problems...)

About Polanski, he said that his arrestation was

Quote:
"De le voir ainsi jeté en pâture pour une histoire ancienne qui n'a pas vraiment de sens et de le voir ainsi seul, emprisonné, alors qu'il se rendait à une manifestation où on allait lui rendre hommage, c'est-à-dire ainsi pris au piège, c'est absolument épouvantable"

"On sait les conditions dans lesquelles c'est arrivé, et de la même manière qu'il y a une Amérique généreuse que nous aimons, il y aussi une certaine Amérique qui fait peur, et c'est cette Amérique là qui vient de nous présenter son visage"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translation
"To see him be throws to the lion about a story that doesn't make sense, to see him incarcerated while he was going to an event who was a tribute about him, to see him trapped, that's absolutely appaling"

"We know how it happened, and while there is a generous America that we like, there's also an America that scares[us, people?], and this is THAT America that showed up".
So he insulted the USA too? Imo, he did.

He also stated something about our president, Nicolas Sarkozy, and about "all the french" (about the French people, he lied obviously):

Quote:
"The president is following the case with attention, and I think he has the same emotional agreements as me and all the French"
I hate him for saying "all the French", while I think most of us, mere peons, are not ok with that

He should have said "all polanski's French friends"

Which makes people inclined that Sarkozy is also on Polanski's side.

So? Bleh..............

http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-societe/2009-09-27/reaction-frederic-mitterrand-cette-histoire-n-a-pas-de-sens/920/0/380868
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:36   Link #25
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post

I hate him for saying "all the French", while I think most of us, mere peons, are not ok with that

He should have said "all polanski's French friend"
Same here and yes I think most of the french people are not ok at all with that from what I reand in french forum >_>
Old 2009-09-29, 12:42   Link #26
Alchemist007
*Author

I feel sorry for his past with the murder of his wife and kid, but that no f***ing excuse, yeah you have to pay for your crimes.
Old 2009-09-29, 12:48   Link #27
Thingle
Banned

Should he be judged, YES. Should he be extradited, NO.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:53   Link #28
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Should he be judged, YES. Should he be extradited, NO.
Why not? Wouldn't not extraditing him cause him to not get judged?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:55   Link #29
Thingle
Banned

^ That's the point.
Old 2009-09-29, 12:56   Link #30
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
^ That's the point.
So you believe he shouldn't be judged?

EDIT: shouldn't
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:58   Link #31
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
So you believe he should be judged?
If the Americans can get this guy from the Frenchies cold dead fingers 'ala NRA.
Old 2009-09-29, 13:05   Link #32
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Has this become one of those France bashing threads already?
Old 2009-09-29, 13:09   Link #33
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
how come?
Old 2009-09-29, 13:11   Link #34
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
All French people? No. As you can see, I and Kusa for example are french.

But about the Polanski case, I'm all for bashing a lot of people from our government (Frederic Mitterrand to begin with), + many people from the UMP + a LOT of french celebrities, movies producers etc. + a lot of medias and writers

I am French, and I bash even some French people when I think something is really wrong. Nothing's wrong with that.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 13:13   Link #35
Thingle
Banned

Well, stupid move for some guy with an american arrest warrant to go to a country with an extradition treaty to the USA.
Old 2009-09-29, 13:55   Link #36
mg1942

that lifetime achievement award was a bait!
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 13:59   Link #37
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
that lifetime achievement award was a bait!
More like, the life time achievement of running from the US justice system
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 14:01   Link #38
Thingle
Banned

The US "Justice?" System.
Old 2009-09-29, 14:06   Link #39
mg1942

and to heck with Swiss neutrality

UBS AG giving 4,450 Names to U.S. gov sets bad precedent
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 14:08   Link #40
Thingle
Banned

The Guy should've stayed in France or went to countries like Russia for vacations or something.