AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-01-18, 18:55   Link #1961
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
Does anyone see this manga even hitting 100 chapters?
When the big secret is revealed it usually means we're close to the end. Unless Utsumi develops super-powers and starts fighting crime, soon there won't be much to talk about.

I wouldn't mind reading a nice 10~15 chapters of him doing silly couple stuff with Yuki, though. Most mangas lack a good epilogue, IMO.
Old 2011-01-18, 19:00   Link #1962
ZODDGUTS

I say I'll come close to the end once Tohru shows up again. We'll likely see/hear he's side of the story told to Yuki, some drama ensues when we find out that Tohru wasn't entirely the bad guy, she forgives him for whatever part he may have played in that incident. Leading to Yuki to choose either Utsumi or get back together with Tohru. Yuki chooses Utsumi thus finally moving on from her past. The End.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 19:00   Link #1963
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
What would both of you say to, upon the introduction of Touru, that he turns out to be a long lost relative of Utsumi's? Probably overkill; I don't think it'd stand a good chance to prolong the manga. I can't think of any other devices that'd make things more interesting while reading past the resolution of the Touru situation, unless it takes a page out of the KNIM book and adds in meddling relatives.
If that cheap ploy was true, he would have recognized him back at the festival, wouldn't he have? I think they've met there already. Right now new drama probably will come from Utsumi working at that photo atelier and getting too close to the girl assistant there, making Yuki display her insane jealousy yet again and making Utsumi run around in circles yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
I wouldn't mind reading a nice 10~15 chapters of him doing silly couple stuff with Yuki, though. Most mangas lack a good epilogue, IMO.
True, the endings are often short and lacking even for mangas that end naturally without getting the axe early on. And this genre in particular is susceptible to the "cheap drama - x year separation (study abroad, w/e, no mail or phone of course) - reunion in tears and joy" kind of ending.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 19:04   Link #1964
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

I can see a reconciliation between Yuki and Touru, creating a situation where we end up with the classic love triangle. Touru comes to plead innocence and old flames are reheated between Yuki and he, leaving Utsumi in the lurch once again.

For his part, having finally had a taste of love, Utsumi doesn't give up like the wimp he once was and works to sway Yuki back to his side. Only once Yuki realizes that being with Touru is bad old news for her and she comes to terms with his actions, will she move on to Utsumi, who will have been following her initial directions from the early chapters to properly woo her.

100 chapters. Bang!
Mughi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 19:45   Link #1965
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
If that cheap ploy was true, he would have recognized him back at the festival, wouldn't he have? I think they've met there already.
Not saying it isn't a cheap ploy, but next time you may want to look back at the chapters before you shoot it down. Utsumi didn't even see the guy.

Quote:
Right now new drama probably will come from Utsumi working at that photo atelier and getting too close to the girl assistant there, making Yuki display her insane jealousy yet again and making Utsumi run around in circles yet again.

True, the endings are often short and lacking even for mangas that end naturally without getting the axe early on. And this genre in particular is susceptible to the "cheap drama - x year separation (study abroad, w/e, no mail or phone of course) - reunion in tears and joy" kind of ending.
I agree with everything you say here. I guess Utsumi still has to realise a goal.
Old 2011-01-18, 20:11   Link #1966
Key Board
Carbon

The main character is a textbook beta male
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 20:17   Link #1967
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
The main character is a textbook beta male
This. Typical /a/. He has some alpha moments though. It's just Yuki is a tough one to deal with.
Old 2011-01-18, 20:20   Link #1968
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
For his part, having finally had a taste of love, Utsumi doesn't give up like the wimp he once was...
He still is actually.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 20:57   Link #1969
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
He still is actually.
Relatively speaking, no. He's stepping up.
Mughi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 03:31   Link #1970
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Relatively speaking, no. He's stepping up.
Doesn't seem so to me. Shows some good moments and then again same hesitation, wimpy doubts etc.

He is better at social relationships, particularly with the girls though, but doesn't seem like he has enough balls left for anything else.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 04:31   Link #1971
Rainrir
Tin Can

The only beta males here, are the ones who actually buy the idea of a beta male. Who the hell peddled all this stupid ideas of alpha and beta males in human relaionships anyway? Oh yeah, probably guys who can't look beyond themselves when something goes wrong or when they can't get the girl.

If there is an alpha male, I suppose he is Yuki's dad huh?
Rainrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 07:45   Link #1972
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Not saying it isn't a cheap ploy, but next time you may want to look back at the chapters before you shoot it down. Utsumi didn't even see the guy.
Touché. In my defense, Utsumi really makes me not want to re-read even a single chapter of this manga, and it's been a while since I read it initially . Gomen.
Old 2011-01-19, 14:10   Link #1973
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Touché. In my defense, Utsumi really makes me not want to re-read even a single chapter of this manga, and it's been a while since I read it initially . Gomen.
Hahaha, no worries. I can empathise with you there . I was re-reading it because the drawings are quite good, and I could learn a thing or two about expressing emotions without words in my drawings.
Old 2011-01-19, 20:07   Link #1974
Rainrir
Tin Can

Quote:
Character growth happens and had happened.
Old 2011-01-19, 21:34   Link #1975
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainrir View Post
Character growth happens and had happened.
Sure. The protagonist went from "so pathetic I can't stand him" to "generally unlikeable".
Old 2011-01-20, 01:11   Link #1976
n0c0ntr0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainrir View Post
The only beta males here, are the ones who actually buy the idea of a beta male. Who the hell peddled all this stupid ideas of alpha and beta males in human relaionships anyway? Oh yeah, probably guys who can't look beyond themselves when something goes wrong or when they can't get the girl.

If there is an alpha male, I suppose he is Yuki's dad huh?
I've seen soooooo much evidence for the difference between the two its unreal.

I'll show you the difference. I have one friend who is very good looking. He's funny as hell too and just a REALLY nice guy. Now at first the guy just seems to pull girls towards him. Like they all flock to him. But they never stay. So one day we sat down and had a chat over a bottle of whisky. So he proceeds to tell me about all his relationships. He was always telling me about how well he treated the girl. How he went out of his way to make the girls happy. I just let him talk. And it was clear, with no malice in him he had just let the girls do what they want, stamping all over him and his feelings. So when he was done talking I just said one simple sentence. "When someone sucks up to you and treats you like you are better than you what do you think?". The look on his face was priceless. Like his world has just been smashed into pieces.

So he stopped being so nice. He started doing stuff only cause he wanted to. He did stuff on his terms 95% of the time. And you know what. His current girlfriend and him have the most stable relationship. He loves his current girlfriend, she loves him and this is the first girl that doesn't treat him like crap.
n0c0ntr0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 02:16   Link #1977
Rainrir
Tin Can

That's not a beta male, that is someone who is overeager to please, to the point where it gets on the nerves of targets of his affection. That kind of behavoir makes one look insecure. Regardless, perhaps the girl is not the type for him, nor were they that into him. Factors can be multiple and complex. Insecure or not, along with other compatibility traits, is too complex to be simplified into a alpha/beta labels. I have friends who are overeager to please too, and their girls like them because they are the way they are (along with being genuinely fine people).

Being genuinely nice, being nice to get into someone's pants and being a pushover are distinct categories. This is something most people seem to be unable to put their heads around.
Old 2011-01-20, 04:56   Link #1978
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Point is that you can't apply the terms alpha/beta male to human beings. They refer specifically to animals only so if you don't want to reduce the story's characters to their natural drives and biological traits (or whatever you call that) you might want to refrain from using terms that could come right out of social darwinism.

You might call me a nitpicker here but I like to think that I'm already out of the cave
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 10:15   Link #1979
n0c0ntr0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Point is that you can't apply the terms alpha/beta male to human beings. They refer specifically to animals only so if you don't want to reduce the story's characters to their natural drives and biological traits (or whatever you call that) you might want to refrain from using terms that could come right out of social darwinism.

You might call me a nitpicker here but I like to think that I'm already out of the cave
Since when did human beings stop being animals. Our courtship process looks a lot similar to most animals if I am honest.
n0c0ntr0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 12:27   Link #1980
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
I can see a reconciliation between Yuki and Touru, creating a situation where we end up with the classic love triangle. Touru comes to plead innocence and old flames are reheated between Yuki and he, leaving Utsumi in the lurch once again.

For his part, having finally had a taste of love, Utsumi doesn't give up like the wimp he once was and works to sway Yuki back to his side. Only once Yuki realizes that being with Touru is bad old news for her and she comes to terms with his actions, will she move on to Utsumi, who will have been following her initial directions from the early chapters to properly woo her.

100 chapters. Bang!
I see the reconciliation too, but I see Yuki ending up with Touru in the end. Think of that Freddie Prinze Jr. movie She's all that. It starts with some bet but Touru catches feelings in the end and it was real.

I really think Utsumi will get with Shou or Risa.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
being good sucks, drama, kento boss, romance, shoukento, shounen, slice of life, yukiumi