AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-07, 03:00   Link #1421
Fishbait

14 was great, who says the "plot" didn't advance? It's a Mahjong anime right(though most of the times we forget), every tile drawn is a step forward in the plot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
Meanwhile, Nodoka is the worst kind of opponent Stealth Momo can face. Stealth Momo can't fade from her view because Momo's powers don't work on electronics and by now, Nodoka - Nodocchi - is completely in the mode where everything seems like it's an online game to her.
I laughed hard at this

Well as fun as the match has been up to this point, it looks like Saki vs. Koromo is up next. Given the current state of the manga...there's a strong possibility that Gonzo will make its own ending
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 05:43   Link #1422
scr
my sides are in orbit

Spoiler for I can't believe i mention Umineko no Naku Koro ni here!:

Spoiler for Eps 15:

-addendum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
sometime i wonder if this is a yuri or a majong show
This is something i've been thinking for a long time, and after a long journey to find peace with myself i've finally reached a conclusion: Saki can work well even if it's completely devoid of Mahjong. It can be poker, fencing, or female mud-wrestling; as long as those girls are betting their life in the fight and they have chemistry with each other, it's still as appealing as the Saki we are watching.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.

Last edited by scr; 2009-07-07 at 06:32. Reason: (alas, poor catgirls) + female mud wrestling
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 06:02   Link #1423
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Spoiler for Eps 15:
What?! who killed Catgirls?
Old 2009-07-07, 09:58   Link #1424
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
This is something i've been thinking for a long time, and after a long journey to find peace with myself i've finally reached a conclusion: Saki can work well even if it's completely devoid of Mahjong. It can be poker, fencing, or female mud-wrestling; as long as those girls are betting their life in the fight and they have chemistry with each other, it's still as appealing as the Saki we are watching.
Eh. I like the mahjong at least. Mahjong is a unique combination of skill and luck, it's 4 players so it's a free for all, and given the amount of tiles, there are plenty of different winning combos. Plus, well, Hisa is fantastic but I don't want an entire series devoted to psyching opponents out as in poker. I need my moe and cg fix.
Old 2009-07-07, 11:54   Link #1425
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

---I just realized that we have reached 72 pages o.o;
Eh, the next episode should be the beginning of Saki's match....though, would it really reach 8 episode ? o.o;

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 12:48   Link #1426
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

If captains round starts next episode, they covered vice-captain round in 2.5-3 episodes. Unless they pull an Akagi (3 episodes for one hand) and considering that we are watching a GONZO show, I say we can start prepairing for filler arc.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 21:35   Link #1427
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Momo is a very interesting character. her story is relatively interesting, being a social outcast, but her mah jong ability is crazy. i would kill for the ability to have people not notice my discards..
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 23:56   Link #1428
FateAnomaly

Thats some crazy ability she have. I wonder if anybody will accidentally skip her turn though lol.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 02:30   Link #1429
kniteowl

a Mahjong question... searching for the answer in 72+ pages is... .:S :S :S.

anyway, what happens if there's a tie in score for 1st place, after all the hands/rounds have been played?

Will the match go into extra time?
kniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 03:37   Link #1430
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
a Mahjong question... searching for the answer in 72+ pages is... .:S :S :S.

anyway, what happens if there's a tie in score for 1st place, after all the hands/rounds have been played?

Will the match go into extra time?
In a normal, non-tournament game, the "pot" is split between the two tied winners and they remain tied.

e.g. if in a standard 30K in with a 25K return game (so the "pot" is 20,000), if the final scores were

30,000 30,000 22,000 18,000, then the top two players would both get 10,000 and the +- scores would be +10 +10 -8 -12

Remember, Mahjong isn't originally about winning or losing... It's about taking other people's money. So whether it's a tie or not doesn't matter, the two top people both came out in the black.

As for what happens in a tournament, I have no idea what would happen. It probably depends on the specific tournament rules.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 03:50   Link #1431
FateAnomaly

What is the highest winning combination (including timing) possible not counting doras?
Old 2009-07-08, 04:09   Link #1432
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
What is the highest winning combination (including timing) possible not counting doras?
It's theoretically possible to get an east triple yakuman by being dealt a big four winds double yakuman (i.e. 4 pungs of winds and a pair) which would added in a blessing of heaven yakuman (being dealt a mahjong as east).

That would net you 16,000 * 3 * 3 = 144,000 points. Dora wouldn't change anything because you need 13 han to get another yakuman and that's not possible in this case)
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-07-08, 04:15   Link #1433
Trans-Fat

72 pages of discussions, with 14 episodes out. Though it is a bit late, anyone else thinks that Saki should have its own sub-forum?

I never intended to pick up this series. First episode came out, I thought mehh I will check it out. before you know it, I have started to research riichii mahjong, and started to play it. I have even rewatched all the game episodes to try to understand their hand, tiles, and strategies.

That said, I just want to see Saki's game. I was never big on Nodoka. I was sad that it was not in the manga or anime of Saki's first game in the tournament, and depleting one school of more than 40k points.

Also, Hisa ftw
Trans-Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 04:19   Link #1434
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans-Fat View Post
72 pages of discussions, with 14 episodes out. Though it is a bit late, anyone else thinks that Saki should have its own sub-forum?
It's irrelevant what we think, series don't get a sub-forum based on that criteria anyway.
Old 2009-07-08, 04:49   Link #1435
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
It's theoretically possible to get an east triple yakuman by being dealt a big four winds double yakuman (i.e. 4 pungs of winds and a pair) which would added in a blessing of heaven yakuman (being dealt a mahjong as east).

That would net you 16,000 * 3 * 3 = 144,000 points. Dora wouldn't change anything because you need 13 han to get another yakuman and that's not possible in this case)
Will having it being all honours and all hidden make a difference?
Old 2009-07-08, 05:02   Link #1436
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Will having it being all honours and all hidden make a difference?
Oh yeah... okay, say then you are dealt as east a

WWW NNN SSS EEE GG (G=green dragon)

I guess that would count as a big four winds all honors four concealed pungs blessing of heaven = 5 yakuman.

although I dunno if all of them would actually overlap... but yeah, if the pair is an dragon than it would be 16,000 * 5 *3 = 240,000 points.

I guess we know what Teru will pull in the first hand of the nationals taishou round now .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-07-08, 06:10   Link #1437
emauser

Quote:
Oh yeah... okay, say then you are dealt as east a

WWW NNN SSS EEE GG (G=green dragon)

I guess that would count as a big four winds all honors four concealed pungs blessing of heaven = 5 yakuman.

although I dunno if all of them would actually overlap... but yeah, if the pair is an dragon than it would be 16,000 * 5 *3 = 240,000 points.

I guess we know what Teru will pull in the first hand of the nationals taishou round now .
If we're adding new (insane and totally improbable) scenarios then would it change anything if it went like this:

WWWW NNN SSS EEE G

Then from kong you draw N, then S, E and finally G?
Of course assuming that you can declare 4 kongs and it won't end the match.
emauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 06:54   Link #1438
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emauser View Post
If we're adding new (insane and totally improbable) scenarios then would it change anything if it went like this:

WWWW NNN SSS EEE G

Then from kong you draw N, then S, E and finally G?
Of course assuming that you can declare 4 kongs and it won't end the match.
Nope. First off, 4 kongs would end the match, but assuming that were allowed then it would be the same as above except the blessing of heaven would be replaced by a four kongs yakuman... Still 5 total.

(It wouldn't be considered a Blessing of Earth because the 14th tile that you draw initially is considered the first round draw. Declaring a concealed kong and taking the discard tile would technically be the second go-around. I think...)
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-07-08, 07:17   Link #1439
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
This insanity is actually possible with the rules used in saki?
Old 2009-07-08, 07:59   Link #1440
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
This insanity is actually possible with the rules used in saki?
By my understanding of the rules, yes, however there might be some super-ultra-special exception for these sorts of things that I've never seen before.

It's quite possible such a hand has never happened once in the history of mahjong.

I've never actually seen it written anywhere that yakuman stack the same way yaku do, but I would assume so.

As far as tournaments go, the 240,000 pointer wouldn't be the most devastating. It'd be "worse" to not be East, but sit say South, and have

WWW NNN EEE SSS G + something else and then have east discard the second G.

That would be a big four winds + four concealed pungs w/unique wait +blessing of earth + All honours = 6 yakuman as not East (it's not possible to get 6 as east... at least not by my calculations)
6 yakuman on a discard when you're not east would be 32,000*6= 192,000 points FROM ONE SINGLE PLAYER.

That hand would end Saki's tournament in the very first round if it occurred (and so would a number of other 4 yakuman hand possibilities).
Sam Pinansky

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen