AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-28, 02:16   Link #1061
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I never watched the Onegai series, and I'm glad this show stood on its own without trying to rely on those show's characters and plot. Basically I'm glad that I didn't have to watch the other shows to get a better understanding of this show.

I wonder whether those who have no knowledge of Onegai Teacher would be able to better appreciate this series better than those who did. I watched Onegai Teacher long time ago so I don’t remember much detail btw so I apologize in case if I made some mistake recalling what happened in that series.

Well I like the show a lot because it was something new and original to me. I would have like it less if I've seen those other shows before because it wouldn't feel original. So basically, to answer your question the answer would be yes.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 05:39   Link #1062
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post

Well I like the show a lot because it was something new and original to me. I would have like it less if I've seen those other shows before because it wouldn't feel original. So basically, to answer your question the answer would be yes.
I think that's the core idea when they decided to do AnoNatsu - they wanted to use a similar theme, structure and plot to reach a new younger generation, or simply those who missed OT. Basically they tried to create a modern OT that is suited for contemporary viewers and I think they did a decent job here. Fans of the original OT might not be the main target audience after all.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 06:34   Link #1063
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

What a awesome two last eps, unlike most of here that saying the ending "sucked" because its feel different than the entire series, I'm feeling the exact opposite..

I'm feeling rather meh for the lovey dovey drama before this, but last 2 eps made me care again..its just so nice of conclusion with all of so random MIB action that exciting and the ending just clicking well for me, funny because 10 first eps is just average-bad for me, but last 2 eps make it totally worth.

Very satisfied, such a well made and directed show in the end.
Old 2012-03-28, 10:02   Link #1064
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
What a awesome two last eps, unlike most of here that saying the ending "sucked" because its feel different than the entire series, I'm feeling the exact opposite..

I'm feeling rather meh for the lovey dovey drama before this, but last 2 eps made me care again..its just so nice of conclusion with all of so random MIB action that exciting and the ending just clicking well for me, funny because 10 first eps is just average-bad for me, but last 2 eps make it totally worth.

Very satisfied, such a well made and directed show in the end.
I see, so do you prefer the alian side of things over intense romance and drama? If I may ask, for what reason that made you dislike the first 10 episode? Just curious that's all.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 11:41   Link #1065
Dormeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Comparing the two series Onegai sensei and sempai.... I cant help but observe a certain shift in the japanese culture in what is considered sexualy attractive.

In older series it was often stressed how sexy adult women look and not teenage girls. When thinking of this, I have to always think about a scene from great teacher Onizuka, where he and some of his male students entered the house of a female teacher and snoop in her drawers and the boys are a bit taken aback by Onizukas antics and he says with a knowing tone in his voice: "Arent you guys interested what the apartment of a mature woman looks like?", of course implying with it that its adult women who are really sexy.

There are a few similar examples in different anime oldies..... but that has disappeared completely now. And sensei was replaced by sempai.... she is still older, hence sempai, but not an adult woman anymore.

Now, dont get me wrong, of course young girls are sexy.... but I still cant help but feel sligthly upset by this change. Its like once you are past your teen years, you are just second best.
The origin of "sexy teenage girl" on manga / anime is Cutie Honey (1973).
In the real world, the appearence of Agnes Lum (1975).
The protagonists of Dirty Pair (1985) are 19 years old women.
I was 1 year older than girls on Sailor Moon (1993), but I used to feel they were older and sexier than girls in my junior high school.
I think teenage girls became the major subject of sexual desire and adult women weakened in otaku culture in 1980s and 1990s.
(Even in the real world of later 1990s, the prostitution of high school girls was recognized as a social problem in Japan. )
This tendency probably strengthened with the development and popularity of visual novel and hentai games of "school" (gakuen-mono) genre.
And, when I watched Onegai Teacher (2002), I had already felt something old and nostalgic.
Dormeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 11:50   Link #1066
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
I never watched the Onegai series, and I'm glad this show stood on its own without trying to rely on those show's characters and plot. Basically I'm glad that I didn't have to watch the other shows to get a better understanding of this show.
Obviously, not only you haven't watched Onegai Sensei, but neither read any post from those who did, otherwise you wouldn't come to that conclusion

Quote:
I wonder whether those who have no knowledge of Onegai Teacher would be able to better appreciate this series better than those who did. I watched Onegai Teacher long time ago so I don’t remember much detail btw so I apologize in case if I made some mistake recalling what happened in that series.
Actually, this copy-cat made me appreciate Onegai Sensei more, it was more mature and better written, but most importantly produced a decade ago
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 12:03   Link #1067
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormeur View Post
And, when I watched Onegai Teacher (2002), I had already felt something old and nostalgic.
I felt the same with Ryoko's Case File (Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo). It brought me back to the time when I first saw Cat's Eye, another anime series which features mature female characters.

While younger characters have always been present in the body of works that the anime/manga industry has produced, it just seems there's a pronounced focus or shift towards younger female characters due to the ubiquity of moe nowadays. Everywhere, it's another loli or cute character, whereas the proud oneesan or the older woman is usually the support character. Sure, female characters young and older are still subjects in adult anime, but these just aren't as mainstream. However, it does seem that oneesan/senpai characters have become more prominent lately, such as the case of Tamaki from ToHeart2 and so on.

I also think it's perhaps worth juxtaposing this with the recent shift in the perception of women and the present attitudes towards relationships in Japan, that today's generation troubled with the present economy aren't finding a need to get married or involved with a partner. Is the moe character more likeable or less of a threat in the views within the male fantasy? Is the popularity of younger characters in anime and manga simply a result of an industry (and a generation) wanting to return and escape towards safer, simpler and innocent circumstances?

Perhaps there's too much unnecessary thought put into this, and indeed this is a subject best explored elsewhere.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 12:17   Link #1068
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Actually, this copy-cat made me appreciate Onegai Sensei more, it was more mature and better written, but most importantly produced a decade ago
You and I both know better it was because of the lack of sex in this series

But seriously, it was a good watch for me and 2 things I enjoyed here most were Remon's trolls and Kanna's voice

Some images for you guys to enjoy

Last edited by EroKing; 2012-03-28 at 12:28.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 14:13   Link #1069
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
You and I both know better it was because of the lack of sex in this series
Maturity or the way into achieving it makes everything more interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
But seriously, it was a good watch for me and 2 things I enjoyed here most were Remon's trolls and Kanna's voice
Don't get me wrong, enjoyable it was, but so can be the crappiest shounen or shoujo. My complain is that it could also be good, but lost its way between being an adaption and original, ending up being neither

Oh! and should I remember my troll-self, Lemon was the best, but the most interesting character (personas aside) was Mio, who not only I can not recall a similarly flawed girl, but also worked as an upgrade for the character she was based at, both visually and personality-wise
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 14:54   Link #1070
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I am starting to think that this is a parallel universe to Onegai teacher, where Ichika is a alternative version of Mizuho
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 16:16   Link #1071
Dop
Mmmm....

I loved it. All of it. On top of which I loved the hints in the ending sequence what with MIB Japan having Ichika's spaceship, and what Ichika was wearing in the last scene of the film.

Teja208 makes a point above. I've never seen Onegai Teacher, and so unlike many posters I wasn't constantly comparing this show to something else.
I was watching it on its own merits, and I really enjoyed it.

It had a lot of those Tatsuyuki Nagai hallmarks which I've appreciated in other shows he's directed, such as the second season of Honey and Clover, and Toradora.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 00:07   Link #1072
justsomeguy

I watched through Onegai Teacher the past couple of days, and I think I can say I like Ano Natsu a lot more (basically because starting from episode 9, Onegai Teacher had me alternating between raging and eyerolling).

The good:
* A good balance of focus on all of the characters due to small cast, and all characters are likable.
* Friendship and romantic tension among the group is convincing, mostly. Even though the plot proceeded slowly while the characters maneuvered around the relationship landmines, they were always fun to watch instead of painful.
* Sign has a retro I've Sound style to it.
* Vidro Moyou is a fantastic ED.

The bad:
* Typical of a romance protagonist, Kaito is plain and average. I don't see any particular trait that would make him particularly attractive to females, other than his amazing calmness through the whole show, which unfortunately makes him seem a bit too emotionless and a bit too unrelatable.
* The two girls from the beach episodes felt like plot devices in how they suddenly showed up, then left never to be mentioned again though they did get cameos in the last ep.

Score: 9/10. Before watching this show, I had absolutely no idea that the writer of Gundam 00 also wrote romance, since I had never watched any of his other shows before. I think I'm convinced now.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 01:08   Link #1073
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

MIB? Seriously? I don't know how to react to be honest. XD

I gotta admit though, Satoshi looked so cool even though it was his first appearance.

When the scene switched to the lake, I thought that area looked familiar. It seems it was the same place from Onegai Teacher and Onegai twins. I remember it a bit since it's the place where Ichigo was "bird watching." It really makes me wonder just HOW old she is in this series. Also, I think that voice did sound a lot like Mizuho. I guess she left that message before she went back home.

Overall, it was a good show. =D
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 14:36   Link #1074
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Over all, I did enjoy the series and it overcame my initial impressions and frankly, it just got better after the first few episodes. Remon(or Agent R of the Japanese branch of the MIB ) is just so epic, and I hope she gets an OVA devoted to her trolling everyone(and maybe trolling a few other J.C Staff cameo characters). I would also love to see a "Kanna After" type OVA(or Episode 13 or whatever).

Glad that the sales of this series were good too. Looking back on it, the science fiction part of the story was weaker than it should have been because we got little information on Ichika's homeworld or their qualities other than they consider Earth to be "Class-F" and they send lots and lots of mindless drones that essentially forcibly remove wayward aliens despite the potential trauma that may cause. The romance and the comedy though were what made this shine and how Kanna, Mio and Tetsurou were better characterized than Kaito or Ichika set this series apart from other "rom-coms". I did appreciate its refreshing ability to not drag out misunderstandings and the will-they-or-won't-they stuff and actually got the lead couple together 3 quarters of the way through.

The last episode was clearly all about Kaito and Ichika, and so I didn't mind so much that the whole triangle thing with the more interesting characters didn't get resolved(hopefully the home video sales will result in an OVA or a few bonus episodes for that). The message of wanting to leave something behind was pretty clear(and an interesting contrast to Another in a way too) and I liked the subtle happy ending with Kaito and Ichika reuniting(and Kaito presumably on his way to becoming a great filmmaker). Episode gets 8/10, series gets 8/10 from me too
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 03:15   Link #1075
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i'm so gonna miss Rinnon , by the way, i think they should make a spin-off staring Remon-senpai doing her MIB antics, i think that will be so awsome....
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 11:04   Link #1076
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

That was a nice, good feeling ending. And we finally find an answer to Remon's inexplicable feats. She was a LIB = Loli in black XD
Old 2012-03-30, 15:07   Link #1077
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Kanna and Kanna + Ichika:

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-03-30, 15:10   Link #1078
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I really enjoyed this series. Very well done as a whole. For me it was not earth shaking, and not a series I eagerly looked forward to each ep as it came out each week, but still a fine and solid series.

I'd give the series a 8/10 vote as a whole.
Old 2012-03-30, 17:05   Link #1079
CWW
Lurker

Tetsurou is a spineless tit. I almost cannot believe Kaito left him in the dust as far as acts of manliness go. Not just left him to linger in the dust but smoked him into bits and pieces. Kanna deserves much, much better. You can call it saltiness, but his actions (or lack of action) are textbook examples of typical anime male behaviour and it's getting quite insufferable. Good ending despite my utter contempt for him though. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch Ano Hana.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 02:31   Link #1080
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
i'm so gonna miss Rinnon , by the way, i think they should make a spin-off staring Remon-senpai doing her MIB antics, i think that will be so awsome....
I think it'll be sooo like Japan to adapt MIB with a devious loli as its main heroine. It would just write itself.

Though I'm a bit disappointed that the relation to OT is just in spirit, I still did enjoy this series. It follows a similar theme as its predecessor: moving forward, of wanting to treasure memories with friends and loved ones, and part of that deal is accepting both the good and the bad. And even with this comparison AnoNatsu can stand up on its own, and I think it does so proudly. Hell, there isn't even a character I dislike. Definitely one of my favourite—if not my most favourite—anime series under the drama/comedy category this season.

Here's hoping to an OVA someday.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen