AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 16:23   Link #1141
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
His overconfidence. His condescending tone even though he has no experience in real battle. His attitude towards her. Hell, he's the one who is more or less seems to be picking fights with her just because she's Japanese.
Well, he's just that, a test pilot who's not supposed to see much real action but provide data for TSF development instead, but it is said he is one of the best test pilots around, being able to even pilot TSF "which where considered to be nearly inoperable in their current stages" (quoted the muvluv wiki on that).

But alright, after rewatching the parts in episode 3 it seems really like Yui just has a problem with his attitude. On the other hand, in thier first conversation she reacted to his boasting with telling him how much he sucked.

Well, here we have it, a clash of two pridefull personalities (who actually have issues deep inside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
They're acting tsundere in front of each other, though in reality they admire each other... Like they say, "the more you hate, the more you love."
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper_unique View Post
Well, you hinted it already..dicking...

She so wants to get in his pants she doesn't know how to react.
These are also possible explanations.
Old 2012-07-22, 16:28   Link #1142
Texas84
よろしく

OK, the whole Soviet thing confused me. He walked into the base, was captured, then had to drive back over a bridge? Wasn't the base in Alaska? Talk about an international incident, Japanese or not.
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:32   Link #1143
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas84 View Post
OK, the whole Soviet thing confused me. He walked into the base, was captured, then had to drive back over a bridge? Wasn't the base in Alaska? Talk about an international incident, Japanese or not.
Yeah... he walks into an ungraded base... and then there are tons of guards around... Was this a trap intended to lure him in, or am I giving the show's writers too much credit?
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:34   Link #1144
Enternal

@ Kyral
Yeah his attitude was a big problem.

Yuuya:Hey you (Japanese) girl. See how cool and good I am? See how strong and such a hot stuff I am? You know I'm great right?
Yui: You suck... a lot.
Yuuya: WHAT?!?! HOW DARE YOU! YOU YOU JAPANESE DOLL!!!

And after that, the fight continues...
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:34   Link #1145
LunarMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendou View Post
Seeing Yuuya using the Fubuki in animation form was just really amusing. I can't blame him considering the design philosophy of the Japanese units are rather different compared to the American models. It'll take a bit of time to get used to it. Yui was indeed too harsh on him, but Yuuya blaming the machine alone and saying it was crap was rather childish. His condescending attitude doesn't make it any better.

as for the discrimination he faced, I guess he grew up in the wrong area. It's not really unusual considering the state of mind that the entire country has been IN Unlimited and Alternative world.

A scolding Takamura is also hot. How nostalgic.

Stereotypes or not, it does happen even today in the real world.

Good to hear they grew up in a nice environment free of racist then. I wish it was like that with me.
The vast majority of the racism in the U.S. really isn't directed at the Japanese, which is part of why many people refer to Asian-Americans as "honorary whites" or "model minorities". Nope. It's just Muv-Luv being Muv-Luv. Arguably, the visual novel also displays copious amounts of Japanese nationalism, anti-American sentiment, and the presence of a WWII-based victim complex, so it really isn't anything new. Muv-Luv is kind of known for its alleged nationalism and the heavy presence of YAMATO DAMASHII. I kind of ignored it and I do love my Alternative, but I can definitely see how it can peeve others off.

Really, Total Eclipse is relatively light on the Anti-American sentiment in comparison to Alternative...
To await an anime for the VN Muv-Luv,
Lunar.Moon.
Downloading from Hulu at the speed of light,
To remain within the bounds of copyrights!
http://myanimelist.net/profile/LunarMoon

Last edited by LunarMoon; 2012-07-22 at 17:27.
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:40   Link #1146
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
@ Sagecat
You will be surprised but yes it does happen. I have experienced it first hand a couple of times which greatly surprised me especially when it first happened since I never expected myself, an Asian-American, to have to deal with such things.

Anyways I agree with Sendou. Yui may have been harsh but Yuuya was doing a horrible job anyways. Blaming the machine and also his attitude was just really bad.
I really liked the idea of this show, with the Japanese and Americans working together. it was a refreshing change. I was really happy to see the Japanese Admiral compliment the US NAVY. But I see what it really is, now. The Japanese in the show are just so... kanpeki na... risou na... while the Americans are just raciest jerks. And, of course, the main character has to be half Japanese who will realize how the Japanese are best and forget about his American heritage.

Unity... chouwa... is what this should have been about... not petty squabbles over what country is best. -_-

The world is ending. Seriously, ending. And people are still squabbling over who has the best race? Ugh, I hope the BETA win.
Old 2012-07-22, 16:44   Link #1147
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecat View Post
Unity... chouwa... is what this should have been about... not petty squabbles over what country is best. -_-

The world is ending. Seriously, ending. And people are still squabbling over who has the best race? Ugh, I hope the BETA win.
I've long since realized that the only reason the BETA, given what they truly are, have been so successful, is that humanity seemed rather intent on killing themselves.

Long-term planning in the Muv Luv universe seems to presume if they can just kick the BETA off their planet, they can go right back to how things were.
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:57   Link #1148
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

@LystAP

Yeah, a unified front would make a difference. The Alaska base is a good start, but only a start.

I think I should also say that I have not seen any other shows in this universe so, yeah, I don't know the rules of it past what I have seen in the first from eps. of TE.

Last edited by PonSquared; 2012-07-22 at 16:58. Reason: N! Why is the N always forgotten!?
Old 2012-07-22, 17:15   Link #1149
Miraluka
Banned

Yui is releasing her past frustration on Yuuya, who is half japanese and is the perfect person to blame for not helping whe her comradess where slauthered by Betas. She has been butthurt since that time. On the same note, she lacks character as his superior.

Humans always will blame and fight each other.

On the other side, Yuuya has a permanent trauma or more like a scar on his child heart he had to bear since then, thus why he is on the defensive while holding back part of his hostile mind. Btw, men always want to show off and Yuuya is no exception.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 17:24   Link #1150
tsunade666

I think Yui isn't actually frustrated on Yuuya because of what happened before wilfri. I think its more like that she is frustrated that the same japanese as her is doing nothing but playing games and acting tough while others are being serious on the project.

Yuuya is just playing around if you ask me. Being childish and stubborn. And specially sensitive with his nationality and it didn't help that Yuuya is provoking Yui too.

Though in the next episode preview. Yuuya challenge Yui right? he is digging his own grave >_>
Old 2012-07-22, 17:37   Link #1151
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I dunno about you guys but... when are we getting Starship Troopers back?
Old 2012-07-22, 17:40   Link #1152
Miraluka
Banned

Her previous talk with Yuuya, wasn't it about protecting Japan Impery?
Old 2012-07-22, 17:43   Link #1153
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I guess I should say when are we going to get back to killing BETA while dying in droves.
Old 2012-07-22, 17:44   Link #1154
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

LOL at "Isn't that too many BETA?" Its like hearing "Isn't that too many insurgents?" or "Why so much ammo?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I guess I should say when are we going to get back to killing BETA while dying in droves.
The training proves that at least the next gen of TSFs in the right hands have a much higher rate of success than Gen 1 TAFs piloted by half trained pilots. So more BETA BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GODS! Less NOM NOM NOM.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 17:53   Link #1155
Miraluka
Banned

Meanwhil Betas....

BETA: Don't mind about us, we'll wait until you humans solve your inner fights: ).
Old 2012-07-22, 17:57   Link #1156
Bombo
TSF Fans

Yui will show him his place next week ...
and chobi her character annoying .

Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 18:02   Link #1157
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Meanwhil Betas....

BETA: Don't mind about us, we'll wait until you humans solve your inner fights: ).
BETAs know when to chill. They are either at a net cafe or
Spoiler for Code 991:

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 18:12   Link #1158
asdffdsa

So for those in the know, is this anime going to be "egotistical MC gets put in their place by another egotistical character" all the way to the very end? At this point I can't really empathize with either character because they're both egotistical jerks of equal magnitude. The only good resolution I can think of is that there is a middle ground found somewhere where both characters humble themselves and develop.

If it remains this one sided to the very end, I'm certain to walk away from it feeling unsatisfied as both characters will still feel like the "antagonists" they were at the beginning.
asdffdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 18:15   Link #1159
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas84 View Post
Remember that we have no idea where he went from Inia's room to the prison cell--TSF facilities would likely be located closer to one another given the regular joint operations, while prison cells and interrogation facilities would be in a more secure (and remote) location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecat View Post
Yeah... he walks into an ungraded base... and then there are tons of guards around... Was this a trap intended to lure him in, or am I giving the show's writers too much credit?
More likely, it's just Inia being Inia. She's (a) psychic (for those who missed the "your colors" ref. to Yui last ep., now she knows that Yuuya got scolded when she wasn't there) and (b) considers a teddy bear as a family member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
I've long since realized that the only reason the BETA, given what they truly are, have been so successful, is that humanity seemed rather intent on killing themselves.

Long-term planning in the Muv Luv universe seems to presume if they can just kick the BETA off their planet, they can go right back to how things were.
Or in other words, exactly like how people/nations act in real life when faced with any kind of threat or crisis, from WWII to the environment to disease outbreaks. Any kind of cooperation is a stumbling, half-baked thing hampered by traditional prejudice, attempts to save face, and scheming to gain a long-term advantage over one's allies.

Now, Ep. 4:

I'm glad to see that we can now understand Yuuya's issues about the Japanese. That he himself is half-Japanese isn't a surprise (the name kind of gives it away), but the two words Yui recites from his personnel file pretty much sum it up completely: second-generation. That his Japanese father apparently did a cut-and-run on his family (providing the first and most indelible impression of what the Japanese are like) and that he came in for more than his share of bigotry as a kid (reinforcing that "Yep, Japanese suck" impression) just goes to make it more obvious. (corollary: dude was a bad choice for this).

Interesting gaffe: The screenshot of Yuuya's file says that his affiliation is U.S. Army, but he's running around with a Navy rank and a Navy nickname. Hm. Writer ignorance at work, or something about Muv-Luv's universe?

Yui and Yuuya should have a deal: They should have a mock battle, him in a Japanese TSF and her in an American one, and the loser will shut the frag up about the weaknesses of the machine. They're both towering idiots: Yuuya prosing on about the TSF's design when the problem is obviously his lack of familiarity with it (and lack of training in the kind of tactics that the thing is designed for, as his own friend explicitly explained to him, just so that he has no excuse for whining) makes him sound like a low-grade moron, while Yui's "You're an embarrassment to Imperial Japan" makes her sound like a dim-bulb provincial who...pretty much embodies everything the Soviet interrogator was saying about the Japanese, actually. He is being an embarrassment...to America. You know, his actual nation?

(Incidentally, on the subject of the series being filled with Japanese nationalism...anybody else find it kind of ironic that the reason that they can actually have a first-world military-industrial complex that can stand among the forefront of nations, defying the alien invaders while displaying the purest height of Yamato damashii, is that in this alternate universe they saw the writing on the wall and upped and surrendered early in WWII without having to be forcibly crushed underfoot, and thus were able to reap the benefits of negotiated surrender rather than occupation and conquest?)
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 18:27   Link #1160
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I think lat least we will meet BETA again at late half of series .

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen