Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-30, 18:11   Link #22721
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

So mathmatics needs something observable or tangible to get the point across to some people.
or simple maturity.

in High School, the algebra and geometry simply didn't click, i pass but it wasn't pretty.

During junior college, i redid algebra even though i didn't have to. Then I ace Calculus.

sometimes a bit of maturity is all someone need to understand math or any subject.
Old 2012-07-30, 18:40   Link #22722
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
or simple maturity.

in High School, the algebra and geometry simply didn't click, i pass but it wasn't pretty.

During junior college, i redid algebra even though i didn't have to. Then I ace Calculus.

sometimes a bit of maturity is all someone need to understand math or any subject.
Agreed, sometimes I'd take a math course, end up dropping out and the next semester I'd get an "A" and wonder what the hell my problem was the last semester. It was like my brain was a semester behind in wiring preparation.
Old 2012-07-30, 18:53   Link #22723
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Agreed, sometimes I'd take a math course, end up dropping out and the next semester I'd get an "A" and wonder what the hell my problem was the last semester. It was like my brain was a semester behind in wiring preparation.
i didn't even feel or act more mature but it just click in jc when it didn't click in high school.
Old 2012-07-30, 23:46   Link #22724
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
China dispute an opportunity for PH defense industry
Old 2012-07-31, 07:00   Link #22725
anigu
Game maker

The result of China's aggressiveness... But shouldn't the Filipinos pour their money into their navy forces instead of new rifles?
Old 2012-07-31, 07:13   Link #22726
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

@math: I think if they taught more math physics things might be better. You can describe the motion of all objects using calculus, and algebraic equations. All the principles of mathematics get used in physics.

But then, perhaps I was unique in being interested in precisely describing how the world moves.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:34   Link #22727
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Shouldn't they be building anti-naval units instead?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:14   Link #22728
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Shouldn't they be building anti-naval units instead?
Going with the guerilla way insted of the conventional one ?
Old 2012-07-31, 10:08   Link #22729
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They realize tehy can't outbuild China on the seas, but they can make it too painful to claim any land held by Filipino soldiers.
Old 2012-07-31, 10:56   Link #22730
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
@math: I think if they taught more math physics things might be better. You can describe the motion of all objects using calculus, and algebraic equations. All the principles of mathematics get used in physics.

But then, perhaps I was unique in being interested in precisely describing how the world moves.
You're not the only one: I learned a lot more math on my physics classes than on math classes. My teacher always taught us to deduce formulas instead of memorizing them and I think me and my schoolmates were better for it.

I've also noticed that my younger sister's math homework contains a lot of physics exercises which means that math teachers are starting to realise better ways to show kids how math can be applied instead of sticking to abstract notions all the time.
Old 2012-07-31, 11:56   Link #22731
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They realize tehy can't outbuild China on the seas, but they can make it too painful to claim any land held by Filipino soldiers.
Nothing is too difficult given that there is such a thing as "Asian Work Ethic".

I say carry on with the antiship mines and the depth charges.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-07-31, 17:08   Link #22732
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

India power cut hits millions, among world's worst outages
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86U0C520120731
Quote:
Hundreds of millions of people across India were left without power on Tuesday in one of the world's worst blackouts, trapping miners, stranding train travelers and plunging hospitals into darkness when grids collapsed for the second time in two days.

Stretching from Assam, near China, to the Himalayas and the northwestern deserts of Rajasthan, the outage covered states where half of India's 1.2 billion people live and embarrassed the government, which has failed to build up enough power capacity to meet soaring demand.

"Even before we could figure out the reason for yesterday's failure, we had more grid failures today," said R. N. Nayak, chairman of the state-run Power Grid Corporation.
Old 2012-08-01, 10:35   Link #22733
Ridwan

^Quoting a friend of mine's comment on that :

"It was really just a matter of time with the crumbling infrastructure. The government has done jack shit to improve the grid for decades, whilst the number of households joining it has grown rapidly. A friend tells me that brown-outs in cities like Delhi even for rich people are at least a weekly occurrence. And the problem is not just electricity, it's almost everything else. Water, gas, sanitation, roads, you name it. Water hours, a ludicrous thing to me, but many Dillianas are accustomed to it. Imagine only having two hours in the morning to collect all the water you need for the day. And if you're a slumdweller, you're infinitely worse off, if you're lucky there's a communal pump and that's about it."
Old 2012-08-01, 14:12   Link #22734
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. raises pressure for euro zone crisis action
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8700AZ20120801

Senators reach tentative deal on business tax breaks
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87010B20120801
Old 2012-08-01, 18:15   Link #22735
Ridwan

After the thing with Cantonese, now this ?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-p...456325751.html
Old 2012-08-01, 18:30   Link #22736
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
After the thing with Cantonese, now this ?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-p...456325751.html
Well, the Chinese Party Line is that they fundamentally view religion as a kind of mental illness or a manipulative tool of the aristocracy/priesthood - and they're pretty hardline on *any* religious practices. So this isn't like any utter surprise as such.
Old 2012-08-01, 18:32   Link #22737
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, the Chinese Party Line is that they fundamentally view religion as a kind of mental illness or a manipulative tool of the aristocracy/priesthood - and they're pretty hardline on *any* religious practices. So this isn't like any utter surprise as such.
however it does seem like the party boss in the area is going out of his way to piss off the locals.
Old 2012-08-01, 18:54   Link #22738
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

You know, in many ways (especially during the Mao era) Communism is a lot like a religion.

Down to the insistence that all other religions are false, persecution of heretic ER politics dissidents, and reverence of the messiah, sorry "Great Leader".
Old 2012-08-01, 18:56   Link #22739
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Error by Knight Capital rips through stock market
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8701BN20120801
Quote:
A technology breakdown at a major trading firm roiled the prices of 140 stocks listed on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday, undermining fragile investor confidence in the stability of U.S. stock markets.

The problems at Knight Capital Group Inc (KCG.N), one of the largest firms that buys and sells stocks to provide liquidity to the markets, emerged at the beginning of trading.

Heavy computer-based trading caused a rush of orders for dozens of stocks, ranging from well-known bellwethers like General Electric (GE.N) to tiny Wizzard Software Corp (WZE.A), whose shares soared to $14.76 after closing the previous day at $3.50.
Old 2012-08-01, 19:10   Link #22740
Ridwan

Yeah, there is the official state atheism fig leaf. But until rather recently, PRC has been fairly pragmatic with religion since Mao. Besides, I doubt that this case applies to the muslims outside of Xinjiang. Well, at least besides the CP members....

Still, this is a country that declares different timezones to be a threat to national unity. Just earlier this year PRC trolled the Cantonese by restricting the usage of Putonghua in local Cantonese medias, since it's the language of "colonial dogs" residing in HK. Certainly, this one is not completely unexpected. But one can't help but to think that PRC regime has been losing its senses....

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international