AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Days

Notices

Old 2007-07-19, 04:04   Link #821
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Spoiler for summer days:
Spoiler:

and before i get my ass bannzored this is a spoiler on summer days not school days...not connected to the rule...right?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 04:23   Link #822
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I think people who lament Makoto's indecisiveness and immature behavior are missing the point. Makoto is SUPPOSED to be a heel - the person who frustrates you to no end and tempts you to throw things at the screen. In that sense he is a younger version of Takayuki.

Watching Makoto in action is like watching a train wreck in slow motion and it is intended to give the viewer a perverse sense of enjoyment - kind of like NASCAR in that you're not watching it for the racing, you're watching it for the wrecks. Calling Makoto a "generic harem lead" is an affront to the other harem leads out there - yeah, Makoto shows all the typical loser traits, but he is a loser with style.

Eagerly waiting for that bombshell moment that completely turns the story on its head - you know it's coming. And I have a feeling that it might equal KGNE 2, D.C. 16-18, Gift 9-10, and Canvas2 24... keeping my fingers crossed.
That off course doesn't stop people from making comments about how much of an ass he is, even if it's what the writers intended. As a matter of fact i'd say it's a success on their part considering what they are trying to achieve (make makoto look like an ass) and what people's opinions of Makoto are (an ass.) match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
I don't watch NASCAR and there's a reason for that (excluding the fact that it's not popular outside of the US). Anyway, I still stand by what I've said earlier: if you put an unlikable loser in the lead role, you kill any chance for true drama, and all you get is melodrama. Drama is about complexity, all the various shades of gray in what are generally black-and-white situations, understanding character's motivations and caring about the consequences they encounter. I don't see any of that happening when the two leads (let's not forget Katsura, who is equally bland, IMO, and seemingly not much smarter than Makoto) are one-dimensional, selfish and stupid.
From what i've gleaned from your posts and a few others who dislike the method of story telling and labelling it as simple, i have only one enquiry.

What's wrong with a simple story?

People these days are too concerned for a complicated plot and intricate details, that they can't appreciate a simple story about love and jealousy anymore.

I also disagree with your comments that drama has to be complex, in fact i feel anime with simple characters, reveal the raw emotions conveyed more, rather then focusing to much on extremely complicated philosophies dealing with people's motivations ect.

Personally to me drama is all about the overflow (no pun intended) of emotions and the way in which characters convey it, I'm sure in these cases characters don't have much time in considering their motivations and caring about consequences they ecounter, but rather the emotions they have and conveyed are simple outbursts and that is what i believe to be the core of a good drama: Simplicity.
Old 2007-07-19, 04:38   Link #823
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I think people who lament Makoto's indecisiveness and immature behavior are missing the point. Makoto is SUPPOSED to be a heel - the person who frustrates you to no end and tempts you to throw things at the screen. In that sense he is a younger version of Takayuki.

Watching Makoto in action is like watching a train wreck in slow motion and it is intended to give the viewer a perverse sense of enjoyment - kind of like NASCAR in that you're not watching it for the racing, you're watching it for the wrecks. Calling Makoto a "generic harem lead" is an affront to the other harem leads out there - yeah, Makoto shows all the typical loser traits, but he is a loser with style.

Eagerly waiting for that bombshell moment that completely turns the story on its head - you know it's coming. And I have a feeling that it might equal KGNE 2, D.C. 16-18, Gift 9-10, and Canvas2 24... keeping my fingers crossed.
I don't disagree that there will be a bombshell moment, but unlike KgNE 2, the story that leads up to that is too immature. Some people say that this immaturity is supposed to piss you off and create a good plot for later episodes, but there are alternative ways of doing it. The one difference between this and KgNE is that I never once hated KgNE...everything flows so well and made sense. I'm not trying to discredit this anime, but rather say that its immaturity level is not for me and this method of building up the plot doesn't interest me. I'm merely comparing the only difference that I seem to notice between the two, and kudos to those who think that Makoto's actions will enrich the plot later on. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

Of course I know that this anime was based on an H-game...so is KgNE, Canvas, Kanon, and other famous anime. I just had an expectation that this anime won't deviate from them, even though it is a little bit different. I'm just sort of disappointed that it's following so closely to the game.

And I also don't mind simple romance and jealousy. Take most of Canvas 2 for example. There's kinda fillers inserted between the main plot itself (babysitting and whatnot) but it's enjoyable, while for some reason (I still don't know) Makoto makes me uncomfortable. It's just a gut feeling and nothing else.

EDIT: I don't believe that my post reveals any specific future revelations about the game/manga but if any mods disagree, you can delete the post.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2007-07-19 at 04:49.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 04:46   Link #824
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Since monir's post is located at the botom of the previous page, i figured i should repost what he said, just to make it more noticeable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Any spoiler/hints/discussion, even under the spoiler tags, from the game/manga that leads to the revealtion of any future events to the anime will be deleted from here on. Furthermore, the poster will also earn a ban to empasize the point that no spoiler will be tolerated in this thread.

The above may be too little, too late for some of us, but at least we will endeavor to protect a few of those fans who are still in the dark about the nature of this show. I sincerely hope that most of us will be gracious enough to cooperate with the above rule. Thanks.
Old 2007-07-19, 05:31   Link #825
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
From what i've gleaned from your posts and a few others who dislike the method of story telling and labelling it as simple, i have only one enquiry.

What's wrong with a simple story?

People these days are too concerned for a complicated plot and intricate details, that they can't appreciate a simple story about love and jealousy anymore.

I also disagree with your comments that drama has to be complex, in fact i feel anime with simple characters, reveal the raw emotions conveyed more, rather then focusing to much on extremely complicated philosophies dealing with people's motivations ect.

Personally to me drama is all about the overflow (no pun intended) of emotions and the way in which characters convey it, I'm sure in these cases characters don't have much time in considering their motivations and caring about consequences they ecounter, but rather the emotions they have and conveyed are simple outbursts and that is what i believe to be the core of a good drama: Simplicity.
In most instances, I find drama is virtually irredeemable unless it's well executed. One may still enjoy a bad comedy, if only for the camp value, but poorly executed drama almost never has any other redeeming quality.

And there's nothing wrong with simple stories. The most important thing in storytelling is how a story impacts its audience, and most of the time, that's an emotional impact. What I generally find is that there's a tendency for simple (and, as KholdStare has put it, immature) stories attempting to inundate its audience with emotions to be melodramatic. That's clumsy storytelling, IMO, and it doesn't make an impact on me. I'll generally only be drawn into a story, particularly one that's attempting to make an emotional appeal, if a certain set of criteria are met and complement each other properly: I need strong, sympathetic characters with explained backgrounds and motivations that interact with each other believably, a good aesthetic presentation (particularly music more than anything else) and an atmosphere which is absorbing. If I don't get these things in an anime attempting to move me, why should I expect to be moved, and why should I forgive the title for failing in its intention? This is the line that titles like School Days, supposedly dramatic titles, tread... if it can't engage me with its drama, then it has failed in its intention, and I think I'm well within boundaries to criticize it for doing so.

Not that I think this anime is crap. Like I said, it's far too early to make a conclusive call with this title. It's just that, the early signs aren't great.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 12:57   Link #826
angel_wing0
心の番だよ ^o^

Send a message via MSN to angel_wing0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Joana View Post
Yes it is very good.

Especially the last 2 sentences:

Spoiler for Ep 3 Ending Theme:

I find that it suits the anime very well for some reason.

And I have been lurking here for a long time, finally made my first post ^o^
Spoiler for EP 3 ED:

Btw since u like it so much, i ripped the song and sent to you

Lastly, welcome here Joana
angel_wing0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 13:03   Link #827
Zarn
ナギさま~!

Geez, episode 2 was only fansub-released yesterday yet I can't wait for 3 ><
Zarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 13:34   Link #828
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

It feels like I've been watching a slightly better animated version of the game what with all the reused shots. I was hoping for a little more "animation" in the anime but they're using a lot of the same shots and gimmicks for skimping on animation the game used... Makes me want to play the game again to compare
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 14:59   Link #829
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Dare I suggest that this show has done enough to earn it's own forum especially considering some people DO want to talk openly about the game but at the same time don't want to spoil? (I know I do cos I've seen more or less all paths through the game >_>)

May I suggest run in a similar fashion to say Zero No Tsukaima except adding a School Day's (Game Only) and Summer Day's (Game Only) and How might future events from the game impact on current anime episodes" thread ?

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 17:19   Link #830
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_wing0 View Post
Spoiler for EP 3 ED:

Oh, Oh, can you send the song too, and the ED as well if you have it ripped.

I can understand that we are giving out too much information when it comes down this Anime, because some of us did played the game already or reading information from Wiki, but I was thinking since we had alot of people has prior information about it. How about if can make a sub-forums of this series then one thread have it for non-spoilers and critical information about the series and other one will be spoilers crazy, so the people can have a place to talk about the series fully without that ban hanging over their heads. But that is my opinion. I know that this series has alot of promise and I cant wait to see how its played through the rest of the show
Old 2007-07-19, 18:31   Link #831
angel_wing0
心の番だよ ^o^

Send a message via MSN to angel_wing0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeplesCuttino View Post
Oh, Oh, can you send the song too, and the ED as well if you have it ripped.
no problem

and yes we need a forum for this show FOR SURE. Especially since the subs' are a week late. The ones who know japanese would have been discussing about ep 4 already while the ones who want to wait for the subs would be talking about ep 3
angel_wing0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 19:01   Link #832
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
^ One of the people who are waiting for subs is right here! and even if i found chinese subs my chinese reading isnt that well.
Angel wing can you also send me it to, please and thank you. PM or email is fine
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 02:08   Link #833
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom View Post
Dare I suggest that this show has done enough to earn it's own forum especially considering some people DO want to talk openly about the game but at the same time don't want to spoil? (I know I do cos I've seen more or less all paths through the game >_>)

May I suggest run in a similar fashion to say Zero No Tsukaima except adding a School Day's (Game Only) and Summer Day's (Game Only) and How might future events from the game impact on current anime episodes" thread ?

-gumbaloom
(I) support the suggestion for a sub-forum. Being banned would be bad......
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 02:14   Link #834
Zarn
ナギさま~!

Lol I've been studying Japanese for one year now yet I can't watch raws. I do understand some stuff here and there but I'm quite far from a subber xD
Zarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 02:28   Link #835
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Yeah sub forums, or we can't talk.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 03:02   Link #836
Forever
Revealing the truth

At the rate this thread is going, the number of posts of this one is going to beat hayate no gotoku's thread by time school days hit ep 5.

The popularity of this thread does justify its own subforum. Be patient everyone, sooner or later, the people higher up will give in.
Old 2007-07-20, 04:00   Link #837
Chewy

For those who've watched Episode 3:

Spoiler for Ep 3:
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 07:11   Link #838
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
haha...everyone is scared of the bannzor stick (i am too O.O)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
For those who've watched Episode 3:

Spoiler for Ep 3:
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 09:27   Link #839
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Well..in...nevermind. I do know what she can do, but I can't say it.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 10:59   Link #840
Princess Joana
Fansubber!

Send a message via MSN to Princess Joana
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_wing0 View Post
Spoiler for EP 3 ED:

thanks angel wing0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Yeah sub forums, or we can't talk.
I second that notion as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
At the rate this thread is going, the number of posts of this one is going to beat hayate no gotoku's thread by time school days hit ep 5.

The popularity of this thread does justify its own subforum. Be patient everyone, sooner or later, the people higher up will give in.
ummm...nice avatar *sweat*
Princess Joana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, ecchi, harem, romance, tnk, yandere