AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2007-01-14, 01:33   Link #81
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I didn't think 2002 was THAT bad…

Well, in any case, 2006 is much much better(by most standards).
Not just not THAT bad, but nicely done.

2k6's character design does indeed look more appealing, but bear in mind that 2k2's was the one that truly resembled the game. Story-wise, 2k2's was changed quite a bit, but the general idea was still there.

@Codine: I assume you didn't play the game, so there won't be an issue of having problem with whether the storyline stays loyal to the game or not. In that case, I do recommend you watch 2k2, but probably after 2k6 is over. 2k2 is way more dramatic, pace is just right for 13 episodes, and the OP song is simply amazing. I'm still not sure if I like florescence or Last regrets more.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 01:52   Link #82
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

That review didn't really come off as objective to me. It felt as though he started watching Kanon(2002) with the sole intention of ripping it to shreds without highlighting any of the good points.

A good review has to be impartial and tell both the bad and the good. That 'review' felt more like a personal observation than an actual review.

The following segment also highlights his ignorance of the source material,
Quote:
Not so in Kanon... it literally feels like it was adapted right out of the game. Good? Not as far as I'm concerned.
While I do better appreciate reviews that review an item on a purely standalone basis, statements like these reduces the credibility of your review. Do not compare to the game if you do not know anything about it, lest you end up with your foot in your mouth.

All in all, not a very good( or informative) review of Kanon(2002).

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-14, 02:00   Link #83
Meophist

If I remember correctly, Yuuichi was faceless in the game. He had a face in Kanon '02.

Anyways, while I agree that '02 was a nice anime, I can see why people can be turned off from it. Although the underlining story was still nice, many aspects of it ended up seemingly average. Overall it felt flawed to me, there were some things that seemed like they didn't really connect.

It was still a great anime, but it really didn't look like one.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 02:41   Link #84
Raniie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
Kanon Review What do you guys think? I find anime-planet to be a helpful source. I was watching Kanon 2002 so I guess I'll just ignore 2002 and just watch 2006.
It's actually not a bad idea to also watch Toei's 2002 version, just to understand Kanon from a different perspective point of view. While that review does hit on some points about Toei's version; such as the Art / Animation quality, that I can agree upon, the other statements about the story, sound/music, character developement, all I can say is; sothis doesn't know what the heck s/he is talking about.

The biggest mistake I see in a lot of people's review is they often place judgement on the series in the wrong category and reviewing it base on the wrong genre. Instead of reviewing for what it is, or trying to be, or to accomplish. The result is obviously not going to meet the standards (did it even want to in the first place? Maybe it's trying to set something new), let alone in excelling at it. The review never even bother to indicate that maybe Kanon is NOT a harem show? Maybe it is NOT really going for romance either? It's also funny how sothis stated: "In addition to the textbook romance type story, the series can't decide what kind of show it is. It ranges from generic romance, to weird supernatural/horrorish (which ends up being LAME and unrealistic), and also a depressing tragedy of sorts related to death." Yet, it never occured to him that what if it's a "slice-of-life" type of show? A slice of nearly everything; genre-wise, from a little bit of romance, a little bit of humor, a little bit of fantasy, a little bit of horror, etc.

All in short. That's a really bad review with little to no credibility on what sothis is talking about.
Raniie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 09:47   Link #85
Codine

sothis isn't a hard critic if you've read his other reviews, he just hates kanon i guess :P. I agree with sothis on this statement "Bah. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole again." but I'm referring to kanon 2002. I really dislike the character design in 2002. I haven't played the game so it's probably really something special for those who have, but I couldn't stand through 14 episodes of it.
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 19:51   Link #86
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
2k2 is way more dramatic, pace is just right for 13 episodes, and the OP song is simply amazing.
I think I should just print out this statement and glue it to the edge of my monitor.

Even I didn't like the character design of Kanon 2002 too much, and the animation gave me headaches at times. Then again, so many interesting characters, so much drama during the second half, and even a romance arc that worked for me... since Yuuichi commented on his prospects of getting a girlfriend at the beginning of Kanon 2002 this aspect couldn't be neglected in this series (still not making Kanon 2002 a Romance or even a Harem series this way but they had to deliver something in this category, which they did; Kanon 2006 appearently doesn't want to do that, and it doesn't need to).
Devil Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 00:39   Link #87
Codine

So far I've watched up to episode 15 from 2006 and I've got to say It's a good anime. Although the first 8 or 10 episodes were completely boring in my opinion. The anime seriously does look better without the main character being a little retard.

Last edited by Codine; 2007-01-15 at 00:45. Reason: im an idiot that typos haha
Old 2007-01-15, 00:43   Link #88
Meophist

Wait, episode 16? I would very much like to know where you got it, considering that it hasn't aired yet.
Old 2007-01-15, 00:47   Link #89
Codine

i mean 15. sorry to get your hopes up. i edited it so its correct now, sorry its late here :P
Old 2007-01-15, 00:51   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Rather than get twisted up in arguing over the show -- I've basically decided there are aspects of both 2002 and 2006 that I like, so I'll be keeping both fansubs .... now to stew over a major budget hit to buy the R2 release or dig in my heels until some brave soul-less corporation licenses it for R1. 2006 definitely is a win for the adherence to the game material while making just enough tweaks so that the paths can co-exist, but there are some cute moment aspects of 2002 (anime-only events) that I also found charming.
Old 2007-01-15, 02:05   Link #91
Meophist

I was just joking myself. It's late and I'm tired, so I'm sorry if it didn't come out as one.

As for '02 vs '06, I enjoy them both. I enjoy '06 more, but that doesn't stop me from liking '02. I think '06 will be better for introducing people to Kanon, as there is a lower barrier of entry.
Old 2007-03-23, 13:08   Link #92
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
i am probably asking for the impossible but where can i get the kanon PC game ?
and english translated ?
Noppapana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 13:24   Link #93
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
i am probably asking for the impossible but where can i get the kanon PC game ?
and english translated ?
Doesn't exist. You will need to rely on translated walkthroughs.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-23, 13:58   Link #94
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

alrighty but can i get the game somewhere ?
Old 2007-03-23, 14:34   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There are a number of "software third party shops" that will purchase the software for you in Japan and then ship it to you.
(software is Strategic Munitions Material after all -- actually thats not quite right but many countries severely restrict the export of software)

himeyashop.com has it for the PC ($35USD), the PSP($51), and the PS2($38). The PC version comes in all-ages or adult --- the others are all-ages only as I recall. As many of us say though... the ero-H parts just seem kind of tacked on anyway.
Old 2007-03-23, 15:29   Link #96
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Vexx's post is about internet downloading, just that requires a different method than usual. I shall elaborate.

First you must upload your particulars via a special program called "credit card". After the verification is done, the download will commence. However, since they are using a slow transfer protocol called "shipping", it will take a few weeks before the download is completed.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 15:49   Link #97
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

wwow i didnt know if it was so complicated
but thanks for the info !
Old 2007-03-23, 16:08   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We really really hope you weren't asking what it looked like you were asking...
Old 2007-03-23, 16:16   Link #99
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We really really hope you weren't asking what it looked like you were asking...
ooh well , saw it coming
its my fault i didnt the rules properly
Old 2007-03-23, 17:59   Link #100
Ayumu86

There is so much talk about Yuuichi's clock message for Nayuki

Does anyone know what the message is in plain english? Im really curious and Ive searched for a long time and I still couldnt find what the message actually is ><
Ayumu86 is offline   Reply With Quote