AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-17, 02:58   Link #1641
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Par for course when an anime ends, it doesn't stay popular very long so the characters are easily forgotten.
Old 2011-08-17, 04:31   Link #1642
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Par for course when an anime ends, it doesn't stay popular very long so the characters are easily forgotten.
Yeah, that is why Sheryl stayed in the top ten rankings during two years ( one month before this excepted ) after the anime ended, even when the movies weren't out?
Old 2011-08-17, 06:11   Link #1643
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, that is why Sheryl stayed in the top ten rankings during two years ( one month before this excepted ) after the anime ended, even when the movies weren't out?
Because they promised a movie after Ep.25 aired. In the commentary and on the site, as I recall. It gave people a future to look forward to. Now that it's stated that Frontier is officially over, people are just forgetting that character exists, as they moved on to other anime now.
Old 2011-08-17, 07:40   Link #1644
wisteria233

Quote:
Because they promised a movie after Ep.25 aired. In the commentary and on the site, as I recall. It gave people a future to look forward to. Now that it's stated that Frontier is officially over, people are just forgetting that character exists, as they moved on to other anime now.
actually that's not true at all, we only received word of the movie but not news on it until a little bit before the actual release. Though the release of the DVDs will probably knock her back on the list.
Old 2011-08-17, 09:49   Link #1645
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Though the release of the DVDs will probably knock her back on the list.
You're probably right. It'll probably put both Sheryl and Ranka back in the running. Though Alto... not so much.

But, regardless, when Macross F ended, there WERE talks of a movie being produced. There were rumors that Kawamori admitted were true. He had talked in an interview that Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka would be returning. At the time, he didn't say how, then the commentary in the 25th episode talked of a movie and that came to Nakajima saying "you'll attach him to someone, right?" And in 2009, a year after Macross F had come on Blu-Ray, the first movie came out. And right before the 2nd comes out, the first one makes it to Blu-Ray. People didn't really have time to fall out of love with the characters.

Plus, some animes DO continually grab peoples hearts. Shugo Chara is a good example, since it was aired in 2007 and ended in 2009. The entire time, people were obsessed with the two possible couples (though Ikuto and Amu more) and you'd see like 20 videos on YouTube pop up daily. Then, when it was done airing (or right before Party, I should say), videos stopped appearing. Now you can hardly find good art or videos of them together that are new.

It depends on how memorable the characters are or if they made a lasting impression. It also depends on whether the people truly liked them at all. Sometimes, they just decide to like a character because of how they act on the show and mirror it to their lives. Most often, once the show is over and they find another show, they'll find it nostalgic to look back at the past show they'd seen before and they'll say "why did I like him/her again?"

And also, I think that 90% of those in Japan are obsessed with current airing anime. As I understand, the movie is out of theaters now. It's probable that they just want to move on, just like Kawamori.

See what happens when the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out. Maybe she'll make the ranks again. If not, then maybe the majority of the Macross F fans have absorbed the shock of the ending and don't want to really view it. I hope you realize that a majority of Sheryl fans are mostly bent on seeing Sheryl get a happy ending, and this doesn't count as that kind of an ending. They might not want to really think about SnT's ending.
Old 2011-08-17, 10:17   Link #1646
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
You're probably right. It'll probably put both Sheryl and Ranka back in the running. Though Alto... not so much.

But, regardless, when Macross F ended, there WERE talks of a movie being produced. There were rumors that Kawamori admitted were true.
Not just rumors...at the end of the final episode, it said "MACROSS F MOVIE: COMING SOON!"

So yeah...not just talks: confirmation.
Old 2011-08-17, 10:39   Link #1647
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Not just rumors...at the end of the final episode, it said "MACROSS F MOVIE: COMING SOON!"

So yeah...not just talks: confirmation.
That's what I said in the previous post before the one you quoted. They basically SAID there would be a movie right after Macross F TV finished airing. Even before the series went to Blu-Ray, they had started work on the movie. And then, in 2009, the first movie came out.
Old 2011-08-17, 11:25   Link #1648
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
That's what I said in the previous post before the one you quoted. They basically SAID there would be a movie right after Macross F TV finished airing. Even before the series went to Blu-Ray, they had started work on the movie. And then, in 2009, the first movie came out.
Not AFTER episode 25 aired...WHEN episode 25 aired.
Old 2011-08-17, 11:44   Link #1649
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Not AFTER episode 25 aired...WHEN episode 25 aired.
Oh. I watched the series after it aired. But I guess you would know. But still, characters eventually are forgotten. Like Minmei, she was very loved, but you don't see her mentioned much anymore. And like I said, people were obsessed with Shugo Chara, and it's only been around four years since the series ended, and no one seems to care about the series or characters anymore. Remember that a LOT of people have to vote to bring Sheryl back up... and if a majority of people vote for someone else, then you have to know Sheryl will fall out.
Old 2011-08-17, 11:52   Link #1650
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Oh. I watched the series after it aired. But I guess you would know. But still, characters eventually are forgotten. Like Minmei, she was very loved, but you don't see her mentioned much anymore.
Mentioned where, exactly? In polls or in general memory? People who grew up in the 80s and avid fans of Macross still fondly remember who she is despite their views on the original triangle.

As for Sheryl, once the movie comes out in BD form, she will be right back up.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-18, 00:36   Link #1651
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I've moved the SDF-Macross discussion to the SDFM thread and please continue it there.

Thank you.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:23   Link #1652
magnuskn

Sorry, but saying that Sheryl stayed in the top ten all those years because of the promise of movies is idiotic.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:25   Link #1653
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Sorry, but saying that Sheryl stayed in the top ten all those years because of the promise of movies is idiotic.
To you, perhaps, but I guess you're not very aware of how anime works if you can dare to say that. There are lots of other characters that deserved the top ten more than her altogether. So, like I said, you might think it, but it's the majority that counts in polls.
Old 2011-08-18, 07:31   Link #1654
wisteria233

Quote:
To you, perhaps, but I guess you're not very aware of how anime works if you can dare to say that. There are lots of other characters that deserved the top ten more than her altogether. So, like I said, you might think it, but it's the majority that counts in polls.
But that's just you're opinion, just because its your opinion doesn't mean that other people have to agree with you (and they don't in this case).

Remember you are talking to people who have most likely been watching anime far longer than you, don't assume that they don't know how the anime industry works. The fact that Sheryl was not a Moe blob and was able to stay on the top ten for so long is nothing short of amazing.
Old 2011-08-18, 07:36   Link #1655
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

I think she's just bummed that Ranka wasn't a regular topper like Sheryl, so the Queen being out is like rain in the Sahara for her.
Old 2011-08-18, 07:55   Link #1656
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

More for us, then.

Old 2011-08-18, 09:33   Link #1657
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
And you are just not very aware of how everything works. Really, stop making fabrications, I am getting sick and tired of you creating strings of bullshit either for the sake of entering a discussion or simply for the sake of disagreement. Oh, that bit about Japan & religion was golden, too. Really, what the hell do you know about Japan?

And of course I know what you are thinking. Your idea of other characters that deserve the top ten, oh wait, not characters, just character, singular. We all know who that is.

As for what constitutes the majority? Trust us, you aren't part of it.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-18, 09:45   Link #1658
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

But...Taaaaak!!

Just like how she sees the true pairings in Macross F, she also sees the true characters in the top 10! D8
Old 2011-08-18, 10:17   Link #1659
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
To you, perhaps, but I guess you're not very aware of how anime works if you can dare to say that.
Okay than, why aren't Asuka and Rei in the Newtype polls since we all know that Eva 3.0 is coming out eventually.

Why is Charles out of the poll when an Infinite Stratos OVA is coming this November?

Why is Ika Musume not in the polls when her second season is about to start?

Why did Ranka drop out after the tv series ended and only shows up again during the movies? Yet Sheryl has only missed two months since Macross Frontier aired.
Old 2011-08-18, 19:01   Link #1660
magnuskn

Quote:
It is idiotic because she was ( and is ) popular even without the movies. I fully expect to see her many times in that list in the future, like other classic characters.

The majority kept her almost constantly in the top ten in the last three years ( while your pwecious Ranka dropped out constantly ), the majority will get her back there.

Tags
characters, favorite