AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 32 22.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 29.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 20.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 7.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 6.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-26, 18:31   Link #61
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
People in these threads keep using those words...that's not what the trope means.
"Jumping the shark" has jumped the shark, in all seriousness.
Old 2012-03-26, 18:38   Link #62
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
They actually took a lot of drama out in comparison to the manga though.
For example most of the scenes shwoing how close Reiko and Kouichi really were.
(Example: His grandmother telling him how Reiko told his father to give him to her if hee can't treat him properly. -> don't know wheeher this was from the original work though)
Yes, I remembered those parts when I was taking a look at the novel again. I'm still giving some finishing touches to the list. Don't know if I should put it on Wikipedia or not. Do they have a working spoiler-function like the Japanese version?! If not maybe a sticky here or something would do the trick

The most important thing that the anime left out which I somehow put back in when working on the list right after was, Reiko's biggest regret being being unable to see Kôichi at least once after his birth; as he has spent all his life in Tôkyô with his father and It being strongly hinted at that it was Reiko's wish for Kôichi, Kôichi's wish for a mother and their grandparents denial of Reiko's death which triggered her return as the one person more.
This would have also given the "Farewell, mother." a much easier to understand notion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
One thing that is bugging me -- if the students are all losing their memories of Mikami, who do they think has been teaching them since Kubodera's death?
It's been strongly hinted that they don't actually just loose their memory of the one person more, their memory starts to become blurry altogether. Also, one thing the anime only weakly hinted at was the fact that Chibiki became Kubodera's stand-in after his suicide. Kubodera even said to Chibiki when he met him that morning and said something along the lines of "Please take care of them for me.". Thus Ms. Mikami was almost always a complete extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
On the contrary, even if one were to discount the dolls, there's still the matter of how she got hold of Mei's mystic eye, the references to her frequent bouts of unease, the mystery behind the missing "husband" and the as-yet-unknown background for her creepy basement, which Mei herself described as a place that draws death (not unlike Class 3-3).
Maybe the anime made the whole story around Misaki Kôtarô, Mei's father, a lot more suspicious than it had to be.
Spoiler for novel:

Also it is less the doll eye that has mystical powers
Spoiler for novel:
Old 2012-03-26, 18:43   Link #63
n0m@n
C-Z

This was a good anime which had good suspense. Especially the last two episode was awesome.

But this anime kinds of scares me. It seems like the author is "alright" with taking the lives of others in order to "live". I know that Reiko is already dead, but felt sorry for her because she doesnt know about this.
Old 2012-03-26, 18:46   Link #64
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I heard speculation it could be Reiko or Ms. Mikami, but I never thought they were one and the same. Plus, after Kouichi called Misaki and she said that he shouldn't come, cause it'd be too painful, I thought Misaki was going to kill herself. Those elements was really well-played on their part.

I feel kinda bad for Reiko's last moments. Even though she was already dead, that doesn't[immediately] exclude the memories they had of each other. The rather abysmal state she was in, under that rubble, looking so scared, was kind of a sad way to go . I'm surprised Kouichi had the courage to do it.

Old 2012-03-26, 18:56   Link #65
Forsaken_Infinity

What a let down.

This show had such awesome music and very good visuals. But it all fell apart in the last two episodes. Even if the source itself doesn't have a more impressive finish (which I doubt is the case), all they needed to do was keep up the same quality of presentation. But alas, it wasn't to be.
Old 2012-03-26, 19:19   Link #66
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

AAAAAAH! How was I supposed to figure this out? I was feverishly discounting all Reiko theories because she wasn't in the class when she actually was! Seriously there's no way anyone could've figured that out.

At least that dumb theory about "Sakakibara is the proxy for Reiko" was still disproven.

AAAAAH! I liked this series, but the final explanation as to who the extra was kind of pisses me off. It's not like "Oh damn I should've noticed this sooner." I'm seriously like "To have figured this out is simply impossible without any foreknowledge.". I dislike this.
Old 2012-03-26, 19:23   Link #67
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Dengar, people totally figured out that Reiko and Mikami-sensei were the same person without foreknowledge.

So...
Old 2012-03-26, 19:26   Link #68
Taynis
Wonderland's hitman

Send a message via MSN to Taynis
I was suspecting Ms. Mikami since I heard she was the homeroom teacher from another class and that year the curse happened, but that she and Reiko were the same person...never crossed my mind. But the seiyuu name thing was really clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudFace View Post
The best part was someone surviving the chandelier of death and crawled out to make a break for the door only to get hit by a pillar. That burning mansion has some good teamwork going on. (am I a horrible person for LoLing at that scene?)
If you are, I am too. I had to stop the video to LOL.
Old 2012-03-26, 19:28   Link #69
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, Kudos to the super geniuses of lucky guesses then. >_> I stand by my statement. I am but a mere mortal, after all.
Old 2012-03-26, 19:30   Link #70
inisipis

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Using Sony MD for the new recording was a big mistake tough
Best way to have another confusing distorted recorded message. Sure thing to start another misunderstanding induced Battle Royal massacre in the future.
Old 2012-03-26, 19:59   Link #71
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
Best way to have another confusing distorted recorded message. Sure thing to start another misunderstanding induced Battle Royal massacre in the future.
The sequel will be glorious!

Jokes aside even if the last two episodes were the weakest I can't say I didn't enjoy this series. It was a fun ride but it was indeed a shame what happen to Izumi I really would've like her to have lived...
Old 2012-03-26, 20:05   Link #72
Marina2

Wow, so only two female students survive in class 3-3 (Mei and that girl in casual clothes)

Director sure has no mercy for girls. ^^
Old 2012-03-26, 20:05   Link #73
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

After episode 10, there was no other possible suspect but Ms. Mikami (correct number of students, but still a calamity), but I didn't make the Reiko connection. I'm glad there was one, if only because it made the general sense of wrongness about Reiko one of the few threads the anime actually bothered to tie up.

Spoiler for My less positive thoughts, carefully tucked away to avoid offending:

Loved the reveal that the bird -- named Rei-chan, naturally -- was literally a Replacement Goldfish- er... Replacement Mynah for the grandparents. Great stuff, hiding that in plain sight.

Akazawa's death was awesomely heartrending, even though I'd expected her to be the final casualty. Even through her blood haze, she really just wanted to protect Sakakibara and the others. Probably the most grounded and gripping scene of the episode.

Mei was terrific throughout the whole series. Her character arc was worth the price of admission alone. She's one of my favorite characters of the year so far.

So while I feel things went a little bit off the rails near the end there, I'm really quite pleased with Another. It feels like a lot was left out, but maybe that's more a credit to the set-up than a criticism of the execution. What the show was really about was this year's class 3's struggle to survive the calamity. If they wanted to delve deeper into the mystery of Yomiyami, I suppose they can always come back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Dengar, people totally figured out that Reiko and Mikami-sensei were the same person without foreknowledge.

So...
While I don't share Dengar's view of the ending, I have started reading the threads on this forum that I avoided to keep from being spoiled, and it seems to me that making the Reiko=Mikami connection involved at least a little bit of meta detective work. So I can kind of sympathize with those who feel they were robbed of a chance to fairly deduce the connection. My view though is that with so many memories being altered by the calamity, everyone was already an unreliable source of information, so I'm not too displeased that we weren't exposed to this bit of knowledge Kouichi had.

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-03-26 at 20:16.
Old 2012-03-26, 20:14   Link #74
winkel

I'm completely fine with the "extra" being Reiko, but the "astonishing connection" between her as the assistant teacher and her as Kouichi's aunt was just stupid. The anime never really hinted once at a suggestion that they were the same person, and she acted totally differently in both settings... it felt like a shoehorned connection meant to create a stronger emotion and reaction in the fact that Kouichi cares for her/her for him, and all of that relationship stuff that was elaborated in the novel/manga.

But as a horror "twist" it was stupid and meaningless. They could have almost done the same thing to any random unsuspecting classmate in the entire series had Kouichi had some distant cousin that he saw but we as a viewer never got to see or something.
Old 2012-03-26, 20:35   Link #75
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Thinking back on Izumi's death... it really was a superb scene. Cutting between the flashback and the present. I'm heartbroken though...
Old 2012-03-26, 20:45   Link #76
Elestia

The last two episodes didn't really make an impression on me. Not quite sure why, maybe it was the abundance of random deaths that made me feel a bit desensitized to the whole tragedy.

Anyone else thought the person who killed Reiko looked an awful lot like Kouichi?
Old 2012-03-26, 20:47   Link #77
sa547
*Author

The identity of the Another was expected, yet still this finale, despite being imperfect and lots of red shirts falling, has a sizable emotional punch.

*sighs* Too bad, Izumi... you were so good while you were alive. Now, all's left of you is an urnful of ashes.

Spoiler for And...:

Anyway, one crazy helluva ride, and again, excellent audio SFX. 8/10 from me.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-03-26 at 21:48.
Old 2012-03-26, 21:14   Link #78
justsomeguy

F--king LOL, the comedy continues.
Bwahaha! "Four" in one kill! One lives but then pillar!
Then there's that one (cute, but obviously a bit slow) girl just walking around calmly looking at the fire when an explosion blows her out the window, and she lives. LOL WTF?
Then Kazami turns into a second knife psycho, kills two random girls, and Sakakibara gets to show off his l33t blade dodging skills (hold Triangle, and pull away, I never managed it).
The fire is also ridiculously clean. People can move around and even fight at normal pace without worrying about smoke.
During this episode, there are not one, not two, but three scenes of people being pinned by knife-wielding assailants and getting saved at the last moment.
Oh, and Akazawa gets owned by a random lightning strike shattering glass and wood, but Sakakibara survives with glass in his back (the one in the shoulder didn't hit an artery?!) and later runs around with his injuries. This guy's tanking everything!

The whole Reiko=Ms. Mikami was rather clumsy. Hiding from the viewer such crucial information that the most of the characters know, while essential for the mystery, feels like the author "cheated." Misaki witnessing her murder years ago and giving absolutely no indication is also a bit odd. Really? I can understand that she rightfully knew bad things would happen, but keeping such a secret takes enormous willpower.

Sakakibara rekilling her was a really dark scene. I can logically deduce, but cannot understand what's going through his head at the moment.

Anyway, despite the director turning deaths into absurd comedy and the horrible choice of OP (unlike most of the show, it was loud and lacks subtlety, and wasn't appropriate until the amazing bloodbath during the last two episodes), I think the show is pretty good. It was one of my three favorites during the season, the other two being Aquarion and Lagrange.

9/10

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-03-26, 21:51   Link #79
addict2anime

This series was absolute love~ but then episode twelve came and i was like meh... I found myself loling at all the deaths except for akazawas. Her death scene was heart wrenching for me and not just because i just absolutely adore her. Honestly though there was absolutely no reason for her to die. More of a wtf moment more than anything.

The last ten minutes was sort of... really redundant >>, we get it its over, I feel like the manga got the message through much better. For some reason I started disliking mei starting from episode like 10.. and that dislike grew even more in this episode >>>>>>>
Old 2012-03-26, 22:02   Link #80
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
I'm completely fine with the "extra" being Reiko, but the "astonishing connection" between her as the assistant teacher and her as Kouichi's aunt was just stupid. The anime never really hinted once at a suggestion that they were the same person, and she acted totally differently in both settings... it felt like a shoehorned connection meant to create a stronger emotion and reaction in the fact that Kouichi cares for her/her for him, and all of that relationship stuff that was elaborated in the novel/manga.
Since I had the day off, I decided to sit down and rewatch the whole series from the beginning. There are actually a ton of clues, but (A) they're limited to the first half of the series, and (B) they're so subtle that they're only obvious in retrospect.
  • Several times people ask Sakakibara if he thinks Mikami is hot, and he gets embarrassed.
  • Mochizuki worries about Mikami's health and Sakakibara responds in a way that suggests he has more than speculative knowledge of hte anser.
  • At one point Reiko isn't feeling well at home and Sakakibara talks to her about the tough time she's having, which in retrospect is clearly a reference to the deaths of students.
  • Kubodera tells the class that Mikami has agreed to ignore Sakakibara despite the problem it poses for her.
  • The night before Kubodera goes crazy, Reiko talks to Sakakibara at home, which suggests the additional countermeasure may've been working but failed because someone in the class broke the embargo against talking to Those Who Do Not Exist.
  • During the beach trip, Sakakibara slips up and refers to her as Reiko in front of Mochizuki and Akazawa, and Reiko responds with an annoyed, "What?" after which Sakakibara apologizes.
  • Immediately afterwards, Akazawa makes a sarcastic comment about Reiko's driving which implies that she's known Reiko for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Sakakibara rekilling her was a really dark scene. I can logically deduce, but cannot understand what's going through his head at the moment.
I think it was, "I love my aunt, but I'm pretty sure I can get Misaki to put out if the curse ends."
Closed Thread