AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-10, 13:26   Link #1
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

[Anime/Drama] Umineko - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Umineko. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are human.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2009-06-11, 05:32   Link #2
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

I don't know what to think about Shannon, Rie Kugimiya. (Probably spelled the name wrong ._.)
Now, Rie is actually a very great seiyuu, and definetaly a lot talented. But I'm a bit confused on how she will be reflecting Shannon. The voices I've heard of Rie's in the animes have been tsunderes and "energic" characters. I've also seen her voice acting some shy characters, but her voice in her nature is more compable with "energic" characters.

Will this give Shannon a diffrent personality rather than she has in the Visual Novels? Or will this give her "shy" character a "flavor" that only Kugimiya add? We'll see..
Old 2009-06-14, 17:01   Link #3
Marion
The Great Dine

I've already heard clips with Daisuke Ono and Maria Inoue doing Battler and Jessica respectively on youtube. They both sound good, but the deep voice for Battler sounds really weird :P I dunno, maybe I just got use to the idea that Battler sounds similar to Keiichi, even though both are apart in age by a good 2-3 years |D; I'll need to see it in action to get use to it (or not), but Maria Inoue does Jessica's voice exactly the way I imagined it would be~

Link for anyone who wants to see.

Note: Above link might be a little spoilery if you can understand a word they're saying |D;;; Not very much though, since it's more of an introduction audio to the first time viewers.
Old 2009-06-14, 21:11   Link #4
Fujikira
Sharp Dressed Symmetry

I was initially surprise when I saw Yuu Kobayashi is giong to voice Kanon. I always pictured Kanon with a Mamoru Miyano kind of tone. It's not that' I don't like her it's just I've been iffy ever since I saw the series Maria Holic, and Baccano!.

I guess you could say i'm over it now, it's just that I'm worried what kind of tone she plans to use to voice Kanon herself.
Old 2009-06-14, 21:19   Link #5
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujikira View Post
I was initially surprise when I saw Yuu Kobayashi is giong to voice Kanon. I always pictured Kanon with a Mamoru Miyano kind of tone. It's not that' I don't like her it's just I've been iffy ever since I saw the series Maria Holic, and Baccano!.

I guess you could say i'm over it now, it's just that I'm worried what kind of tone she plans to use to voice Kanon herself.
I'm personally not too surprised myself that Kanon is being given a voice from a female seiyuu. Still we can probably wait for the Drama CD coming out before the anime and get clips somehow to see (I'm counting on you niconico)
Old 2009-06-14, 21:34   Link #6
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Actually, I pictured Kanon being voiced by Maaya Sakamoto.
Old 2009-06-14, 21:35   Link #7
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujikira View Post

Awwww I liked her as Maria and especially Nice (her being one of my favorite characters) DDDD: But, I shall still respect your opinion...
Old 2009-06-15, 00:08   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I still think Rie Kugimiya and Yui Horie should have swapped roles as they're voicing Shannon and Maria respectively. Yui Horie can her serious tone voice apart from her usual playful voicing that fits Shannon, while Rie Kugimiya has got shrilly high-pitch tantrums down to an art form that perfectly defines Maria.
Old 2009-06-15, 00:22   Link #9
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I don't really think Horie would suit Shannon... nor do I think Kugimiya would suit Maria.

Old 2009-06-15, 01:41   Link #10
Avisch
Reality Blender

Kugumiya should have voiced Gaap........That aside. Im interested to see how she will voice Shannon.

Daisuke Ono voicing Battler - I didn't know much about Battler's personality before playing the novel, but I was instantly excited. I can't be sure of the voice I imagined for Battler. But Ono has an awesome voice so I can't wait for the dramatic moments.

Marina Inoue voicing Jessica - Once again I didn't know Jessica's personality before playing. But as soon as I found out, I thought Marina was great choice. Can't wait to hear her take on Jessica's way of speaking (ending her sentences with -ze)

Ami Koshimizu voicing Rosa - This is what Im really waiting for. Rosa is a very interesting character. Ami should do a nice job.

Yuu Kobayashi voicing Kanon - I originally imagined Junko Minagawa, but this works even better.

Hirokazu Koyama voicing Rudolf - Not what I expected. But since I like Koyama's voice, I instantly thought FUCK YES.

Mugihito voicing Kinzo - It was either this guy, Fukumoto or Wakamoto or maybe even Jouji Nakata.

Yui Horie voicing Maria - This will work. I can feel it. Now to wait for the creepy moments.
Old 2009-06-15, 03:31   Link #11
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I still think Rie Kugimiya and Yui Horie should have swapped roles as they're voicing Shannon and Maria respectively. Yui Horie can her serious tone voice apart from her usual playful voicing that fits Shannon, while Rie Kugimiya has got shrilly high-pitch tantrums down to an art form that perfectly defines Maria.
I second Maho Momo: the swap idea would be even worse.
Kugimiya high pitching doesn't match Maria's image at all, and if you compare Yuuki (from Saki) who is a rare non-tsundere loli voiced by Kugimiya, you really cannot compare the two.

And no, Horie would fail big time with Shannon just for huge difference in term of tone: Horie can only do a serious voice with a very deep one, which is arguably not how Shannon would speak.

That say, even with their respective roles, it is a bit mismatched. Well after the little dramacd, uu uu Maria with Horie is fine (especially with this anime design), but kihihi Maria will definitely be a challenge. Meanwhile I still cannot picture Kugimiya one bit with Shannon at all.

After watching the trailer, I still think Sakamoto would have been the best choice for Kanon, unlike Kobayashi who has the knack into pulling a tantrum voice without much tormented aspect. Well, at least her scope matches Kanon general persona, that is.
Old 2009-06-15, 03:46   Link #12
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I think Horie Yui as Maria will be fine. She's well capable of doing creepy voices (latest example that comes to my mind: Kanako from Natsu no Arashi), and use a deep tone when necessary.

On the other hand, Kugimiya Rie as Shannon leaves me a bit puzzled. Sure she's a skilled VA, but I am not fully convinced mostly because one of plain simple reason: can she sound "adult"? My fear is that she could sound way younger than what Shannon looks. Fumiko Orikasa would have been more suited for this role, in my opinion.

Last edited by Shinndou; 2009-06-15 at 06:14.
Old 2009-06-15, 05:36   Link #13
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well I obviously need first to hear them actually portray the characters first before I can say anything with any conclusiveness. I can still be wrong.
Old 2009-06-15, 19:42   Link #14
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I think Horie Yui as Maria will be fine. She's well capable of doing creepy voices (latest example that comes to my mind: Kanako from Natsu no Arashi), and use a deep tone when necessary.
She can do a good deep tone, but I don't think she can pull it off as well, It's 7th expantion were talking about she will have to try harder in this anime.

Old 2009-06-15, 19:46   Link #15
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-smepai View Post
She can do a good deep tone, but I don't think she can pull it off as well, It's 7th expantion were talking about she will have to try harder in this anime.
Well, she also played Hanyuu in Higurashi. If she uses the menacing voice that she used in that for Hanyuu then she should be alright (perhaps slightly more creepy and less serious)... it's not like she has to use a super batshet crazy voice for Maria like Satsuki Yukino had to use for Shion. :3

Old 2009-06-15, 20:06   Link #16
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
Well, she also played Hanyuu in Higurashi. If she uses the menacing voice that she used in that for Hanyuu then she should be alright (perhaps slightly more creepy and less serious)... it's not like she has to use a super batshet crazy voice for Maria like Satsuki Yukino had to use for Shion. :3
But the problem with the cd voice was that Yui Horie sounded like Minorin from Toradora, which I think was unsuited. She should use her even younger voice such as young Ayu in Kanon or young Yume in DCII.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2009-06-15, 20:27   Link #17
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
But the problem with the cd voice was that Yui Horie sounded like Minorin from Toradora, which I think was unsuited. She should use her even younger voice such as young Ayu in Kanon or young Yume in DCII.
Well she will use her younger voice in this anime since she's playing a nine year old.
She sounded good with Hanyuu, and her voice acting with Minorin was amazing in my opinion showing the weird normal side of her and then the serious almost like "Oyashiro mode" (I even I have a picture with her and Hanyuu in my desktop which I will put in the Higurashi thread after this post. ^_^),
but I wonder how she will do the "kihihihihi".

Old 2009-06-15, 22:10   Link #18
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-smepai View Post
Well she will use her younger voice in this anime since she's playing a nine year old.
She sounded good with Hanyuu, and her voice acting with Minorin was amazing in my opinion showing the weird normal side of her and then the serious almost like "Oyashiro mode" (I even I have a picture with her and Hanyuu in my desktop which I will put in the Higurashi thread after this post. ^_^),
but I wonder how she will do the "kihihihihi".
Well one thing is for sure, she has more than enough practice for "uu~" from "uguu" xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2009-06-16, 06:01   Link #19
Oekitarts
Oppai Sommelier

Send a message via Yahoo to Oekitarts
Can't wait to hear Ono-san's "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!"
And of course, Oohara-san's "USHIROMIYA... BA.. TO..RAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"
Old 2009-06-16, 10:29   Link #20
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

About Rie Kugimiya voicing Shannon... don't forget she's played roles such as Alphonse Elric from FMA or the lead from Nabari no Ou.

Obviously, those are male characters, but I think it might be some evidence towards the fact that she can relax her voice and still sound great. Her protrayal of Shannon might be closer to her real speaking voice which is neither as high pitched or loli as the majority of her voiced characters might lead one to believe.

At first I was a little boggled by the choice of casting her for Shannon, but the more I think about it, the better it feels.
Closed Thread