AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-05, 20:01   Link #161
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
lol Toradora's 'Tomoyo After Story' ?
So if they do an Ami After, will you have the Minori After fans up in arms?
Old 2008-12-06, 01:51   Link #162
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
So if they do an Ami After, will you have the Minori After fans up in arms?
they could call it the ToraDora: Minomi after story
Old 2008-12-06, 03:43   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
LOLOLOLOL

If you read my posts, I clearly liked Ami the most out of all ToraDora cast.

But I am realistic enough to see where the story is heading. Plus the title is decisive, not an analogy. And the novels also make it the salient point.
He didn't read the thread title either: it reads "CHARACTER DISCUSSION" .... not "AMI ROXXORS WORSHIP THREAD".

The mods banned 'shipping threads a couple of years ago. This is a thread to DISCUSS the character Ami and her part in the story. Heck, I love Ami, I love all the characters -- its how they interact with each other that makes the storyline so interesting. Subtract one character and you lose much of the dynamic.
Old 2008-12-06, 04:42   Link #164
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucipher View Post
You know what your doing is borderline trolling? If you dont like Ami thats fine what are you doing comming into a thread about her in the first place people who come to this thread mainly are people who like her.
Just so you know, your statement is wrong. People can post in this thread either if they love Ami or if they don't, as long as they keep it civil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidelines
Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.
The above is in the thread's guidelines. Things needn't to be taken seriously and if I may give an advice, taking aggressive behaviours certainly doesn't help.

--------

As promised yesterday, off-topic is less tolerated now and some posts have been edited/deleted. It might be acceptable to compare Toradora with other series, but I don't see the point in making whole posts about School Rumble in the "Kawashima Ami discussion thread".

Finally, a friendly note: there'd be so much to discuss about Toradora's characters, especially after the last 2 episodes. They're beautifully portrayed, deep, each one necessary for the story. Why wasting such precious discussion's material for the sake of unnecessary diversions?
Old 2008-12-06, 04:57   Link #165
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Thank you mod and Vexx, I thought I am a lone sane voice here (whew).

But I do feel sad for Ami in regards to her unreciprocated feelings but I also think she is achieving something new in her makeup which being honest to herself and less worry on how outsiders will look at her.

Hopefully the novelist will include a side story that talks about her as main focus. She is just too interesting to be just a side character/cheerleader/sexual teaser type.
Old 2008-12-06, 11:06   Link #166
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The mods banned 'shipping threads a couple of years ago.
They did? Surely no one let us know that over at the Macross board.

Now, about Ami... I'm in the same boat as most of you in thinking she's probably the more interesting character in the series, and I would love for her to end up happy with the man she loves at her side. But, honestly, in this story... I just don't see how that's possible.

And please, all those After Stories specials... they tend to cheapen everything that made the originals special. I'd rather not have that here, as well, even if the conclusion is not totally to my liking. I mean, this series is not only about who gets to be with who, is it?

Old 2008-12-06, 13:42   Link #167
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The mods banned 'shipping threads a couple of years ago. This is a thread to DISCUSS the character Ami and her part in the story. Heck, I love Ami, I love all the characters -- its how they interact with each other that makes the storyline so interesting. Subtract one character and you lose much of the dynamic.
Completely agree here. I hate to keep bringing up H&C, but I remember the episodes where Morita and later Takemoto disappeared. Everybody was doing their own thing, which was still good, but it just didn't feel as enjoyable when everyone was there. To me, it's the same with Toradora. It's like all the main cast contribute a little spice of their personality into this big pot of stew to make the story seem very delicious. Even if it's missing a spice, the stew still tastes good, just not AS good as if it had all the spices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And please, all those After Stories specials... they tend to cheapen everything that made the originals special. I'd rather not have that here, as well, even if the conclusion is not totally to my liking. I mean, this series is not only about who gets to be with who, is it?
True. stormi said it best; it's all about the journey, not the destination. Still, unless the relationships were totally obvious in terms of pairing(say like Lamune or Tonagura) it'd be one thing. But if various interactions cause a specific outcome, a slight deviation of the same circumstances could cause a totally different outcome. I mean, it's not far-fetched that if Ami met Ryuuji first, the current situation would be different. Hypothetically speaking, I really don't think Ryuuji making a different decision, like going out with Ami over Taiga would lessen the impact that Ryuuji going out of Taiga would have made, esp since it would have already made an impact on you in the first place. The only problem would be that a pairing is now implied, meaning the viewer KNOWS who is going to end up together, possibly making the scenerio itself less entertaining.

Last edited by frubam; 2008-12-06 at 16:51.
Old 2008-12-06, 14:12   Link #168
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You... kinda lost me, there.

Old 2008-12-06, 14:35   Link #169
stormy001_M1A2

If Ami meet Ryuji first, hmmmm, I never thought of that. Well for one, without Taiga around, Ryuji is going to have tougher time to convince Ami to be honest that is for sure.
Old 2008-12-06, 14:56   Link #170
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Funny but at least on these forums Ami is definitely the most popular character not minori or Taiga. Juts compare the number of messages and views to other character threads, specially Kitamura one, lol.
Old 2008-12-06, 15:15   Link #171
stormy001_M1A2

The problem is Kitamura is just too perfect and normal. There is not much to talk about him, strangely. The more defective a person is, the more we can discuss.
Old 2008-12-06, 15:41   Link #172
Darknemo2000

I think he just lacks of depth general. And though I agree with Vexx statement taht taking any of the character from the story would hurt it, I think that taking Kitamura out of it would hurt Toradora the least. He is useful as a plot figure, but as a character himself - he is rather unimpressive and dull.

All other characters like Ami, Taiga etc. have already established themselves as characters... But I cannot say the same towards Kitamura in all honesty.
Old 2008-12-06, 16:56   Link #173
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
If Ami meet Ryuji first, hmmmm, I never thought of that. Well for one, without Taiga around, Ryuji is going to have tougher time to convince Ami to be honest that is for sure.
Or if that beachside request got reciprocated in ep 9, if Kitamura still like Taiga, if Minorin.... Minorin uhhh.... That'd be one large wall for Ami to scale... Thus loldrama.
Old 2008-12-06, 17:18   Link #174
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You... kinda lost me, there.
Uh, sorry, there was a bit of inconsistency in what i was trying to say. I'm basically saying that the "After Story" specials shouldn't make an impact on the original story, since when the original story ran, you already get an impression from it. The "After Story" comes after that impression. Now, you might not find as much enjoyment because you know the outcome(obviously if it's called "Tomoyo After" it's gonna be Tomoyo).

The other thing I was saying was that other pairing possibilities aren't impossible in this kind of show. The chars are woven together in such a way that if certain minor circumstances were different, it could greatly affect the outcome. Example: In ep 9, when Ami asked to go to the beach. If Minorin didn't ask him to help wash the dishes, the whole Minori/Ryuuji talk would have been avoided. With Ami and Ryuuji being alone, she could have said something akin to what she said in ep 10, w/o the distractions. This could mean +pts for Ami/Ryuuji and 0pts for Minorin/Ryuuji rather than +pts for Ryuuji/Minori and -pts for Ryuuji/Ami. I feel that the "After Story"s capitalize on this fact and I enjoy a slightly different perspective of the same circumstances. I guess some ppl see it as a 'cop out' or something >.>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
All other characters like Ami, Taiga etc. have already established themselves as characters... But I cannot say the same towards Kitamura in all honesty.
Pfft, is Kitamura even a best friend to Ryuuji? I've never seen Kitamura do anything with Ryuuji at all. I even question his "I'm going on the trip too because Ryuuji is my best friend" . He probably just wants to get next to Taiga or some other alterior motive, but I'll leave all the other stuff I want to say out of the Ami thread.

Last edited by frubam; 2008-12-06 at 17:29.
Old 2008-12-06, 18:09   Link #175
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
The other thing I was saying was that other pairing possibilities aren't impossible in this kind of show. The chars are woven together in such a way that if certain minor circumstances were different, it could greatly affect the outcome. Example: In ep 9, when Ami asked to go to the beach. If Minorin didn't ask him to help wash the dishes, the whole Minori/Ryuuji talk would have been avoided. With Ami and Ryuuji being alone, she could have said something akin to what she said in ep 10, w/o the distractions. This could mean +pts for Ami/Ryuuji and 0pts for Minorin/Ryuuji rather than +pts for Ryuuji/Minori and -pts for Ryuuji/Ami. I feel that the "After Story"s capitalize on this fact and I enjoy a slightly different perspective of the same circumstances. I guess some ppl see it as a 'cop out' or something >.>.
Referring to the parts of your post I put in bold.

Given the fact that Minori knows a lot more on what's going on than she shows, Minori might have actually asked Ryuuji to help wash the dishes with her to block Ryuuji from talking with Ami at that point, so that he will talk to her instead.

Just speculating.
Old 2008-12-06, 18:23   Link #176
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
What a nice party we're having here.

I also adore Ami, she's a great character (Though her big superiority complex really isn't showing anymore, she's just rather arrogant now)

Ami x Ryuuji isn't realistic at all, anime wise, we all know he's hiking off with Taiga.

Ami is showing some good character developtment now, which is a plus. I think it's funny how the way she teases Ryuuji, giving him the thumbs up to go then flatly exposing her prank. But I find that she in reality is waiting for the thumbs up for Ryuuji, which of course she's never going to get. They're very compatible as seen in ep 9 and 10 and atleast Ryuuji is very open with how he finds her attractive, not in a perverted way either, though his mind does wander.

Wouldn't an Ami After story be nice?

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2008-12-06, 18:39   Link #177
Voitan

I agree, Ami x Ryuuji in terms of how the anime is going to end is unrealistic because it will follow the novel and partly because of trends in anime, but in general character compatibility, I think they're the best.

Ami challenges and teases our honest man and Ryuuji does the soul searching that Ami attempts. They balance well together.
Old 2008-12-06, 19:16   Link #178
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Please surprise me with a different ending, J. C. Staff! PLEASE!
Old 2008-12-06, 20:23   Link #179
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

See, this isn't the Kawashima Ami Appreciation topic anymore.

This is the "we want an unrealistic and internally inconsistent ending because we're hard for Ami" topic.

Could we please discuss something OTHER than our favorite pairing?
Old 2008-12-06, 20:26   Link #180
Darknemo2000

physics223, don't ask for JC Staff to surprise you...Or they will... and you won't be happy... like the ZnT second season ending...was a total surprise since noone thought that the ZnT best selling volume would be completely skipped juts to give you a totally rushed, crap ending...

Or the Kimikiss surprise.. Definately was surprise that the animation of one of the best selling games turned into one of the worst selling animes of that season... All Due to JC Staff being original and surprising...

So I'd say that though I wish for Ami/Ryuuji too, it's better not to play with fire (JC Staff) and to hope that they will do what they are supposed to.

Kaisos Erranon, it never was Kawashima Ami Appreciation topic...It is a discussion topic, meaning both positive and negative opinions regarding this character... Too bad that it becomes less and less her actual character related.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters