AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-11, 21:12   Link #341
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Its just being used as an example of one of her 2012 roles, I don't believe its being used to state her best role in 2012. Inaba isn't a moe character anyway, far from it in fact. Now me personally, I don't use reviews for anime since I watch it as it comes out. KC is probably the best drama of 2012.

Her Serika and Fujiko roles do definitely hit the mark but her work as Inaba was top notch as well. We don't see a lot of adult characters in anime as well, very few and far between. Anime in general target the teenage age group so it isn't very surprising.
Old 2012-12-17, 13:38   Link #342
Mura
Now or Never

Another seiyuu has announced their marriage, this time Yamamoto Maria.

Source

Some key shows I've noticed for her were Elfen Lied and School Rumble. In terms of games she was also on Arcana Hearts 3 as Fiona and Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty as Emma Emmerich.
Old 2012-12-17, 23:59   Link #343
judasmartel
*Author

Hmm... I guess if you're not that much of a big name in the VA industry, you don't get a lot of flak for getting married at a certain time in your career.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 13:36   Link #344
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Hmm... I guess if you're not that much of a big name in the VA industry, you don't get a lot of flak for getting married at a certain time in your career.
Being 31 probably has something to do with it as well. One suspects she's already been "sullied" by now and not deserving of attention from the "all seiyuu must be virgins" crowd.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 09:58   Link #345
judasmartel
*Author

Oh, so age is a factor as well? Didn't know that. I mean, KugiRie is already 33, and yet I think she still has quite the following.

But yes, I was horrified at what happened to Aya Hirano, Aki Toyosaki, Mamoru Miyano, and Tetsuya Kakihara. Those cases were the Japanese Fan Dumb at its worst.
Old 2012-12-23, 10:27   Link #346
Mokoko
Young Aspergus Eater

What happened to Aya Hirano and Aki Toyosaki? :O

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Mokoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 10:46   Link #347
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Aya Hirano was fired by her label after sleeping with several members of her band. Pictures of her in bed with her guitarist were released in a magazine.

Not sure about Aki. I remember somebody stalker her and found out she was living with her boyfriend (rumored to be Tom Hack), which led to much otaku rage. I don't think it's had that much impact on her career though.
Old 2012-12-23, 12:37   Link #348
judasmartel
*Author

Aya Hirano and Aki Toyosaki merchandise were mutilated and burned, knives are pointed at their pictures, and otakus everywhere in Japan call them sluts for "failing" to remain virgins until the end of their careers. That's pretty insane in my book. No wonder female seiyuus are suffering in the race against time to get married and have kids of their own.

And after that, rumors abound from as early as 4 years ago that Aya-san is going to quit as a seiyuu because otakus simply refuse to give her a life.
Old 2012-12-23, 17:28   Link #349
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

....Really?

People that voice animated characters for a living are THAT famous? I knew some seiyuu are pretty famous over there, since a lot of them also are singers, but WOWWWWWW.....

Japanese fans cant be serious though; a lot of these actors are in their 30s....it's not like they can remain moeish for life and all. Do the male actors get the same treatment if they get married or have children?

I don't know who Toyosaki is, but I thought Hirano's problem was that she was a diva?
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 17:44   Link #350
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It seems the fans become less interested after they become "Christmas Cakes", so to speak.
Old 2012-12-23, 18:55   Link #351
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
....Really?

People that voice animated characters for a living are THAT famous? I knew some seiyuu are pretty famous over there, since a lot of them also are singers, but WOWWWWWW.....

Japanese fans cant be serious though; a lot of these actors are in their 30s....it's not like they can remain moeish for life and all. Do the male actors get the same treatment if they get married or have children?

I don't know who Toyosaki is, but I thought Hirano's problem was that she was a diva?
In Japan, voice acting is SERIOUS FREAKING BUSINESS. Nowhere else in the world can you find Idol Singers who aspire to become seiyuu one day. It does help though that many Japanese seiyuu, especially females, were Idol Singers themselves before entering the industry.

The "serious" Japanese fans comprise only a small section of the fanbase, but they are the most vocal, so they tend to be considered the voice of the Japanese fandom, even if most of the fandom themselves would simply be happy for their favorite seiyuu.

It's not that the hardcore otaku want the seiyuus of their favorite characters to effectively make a vow of celibacy until they're well over 35 (no, just kidding, Christmas Cake age is actually 25). It's just that many seiyuus are better associated with their roles, after all. Just ask KugiRie or even Aya Hirano herself.

It's more like they want their seiyuus to become lesbians. Probably the best example is Hitomi Nabatame and her "wives". Sure, Shizuka Itou is already married, but the fans would just say it's just a cover for her lesbianism (many gay people actually marry the opposite sex to hide their sexual orientations from others).

Aki Toyosaki is a relatively new seiyuu. I only gave her as an example of how insane the hardcore otakus from Japan can actually be.
Old 2012-12-23, 20:27   Link #352
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
In Japan, voice acting is SERIOUS FREAKING BUSINESS. Nowhere else in the world can you find Idol Singers who aspire to become seiyuu one day. It does help though that many Japanese seiyuu, especially females, were Idol Singers themselves before entering the industry.

The "serious" Japanese fans comprise only a small section of the fanbase, but they are the most vocal, so they tend to be considered the voice of the Japanese fandom, even if most of the fandom themselves would simply be happy for their favorite seiyuu.
I guess that's why on some videos I've seen of actors promoting their series the audience is screaming like they're at a Justin Bieber concert...

Quote:
It's not that the hardcore otaku want the seiyuus of their favorite characters to effectively make a vow of celibacy until they're well over 35 (no, just kidding, Christmas Cake age is actually 25). It's just that many seiyuus are better associated with their roles, after all. Just ask KugiRie or even Aya Hirano herself.

It's more like they want their seiyuus to become lesbians. Probably the best example is Hitomi Nabatame and her "wives". Sure, Shizuka Itou is already married, but the fans would just say it's just a cover for her lesbianism (many gay people actually marry the opposite sex to hide their sexual orientations from others).
That sounds like bad fanfiction...

Thanks for replying though. That's interesting....I wonder if the male seiyuu get the same treatment if they get married or have children? I saw that someone mentioned Miyano...I knew he got married awhile ago; did the fans give him shit about it?

I wonder how the fans would react if an actor/actress came out as gay, considering that it seems more conservative over in Japan than in the US/West?
Old 2012-12-23, 21:14   Link #353
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I guess that's why on some videos I've seen of actors promoting their series the audience is screaming like they're at a Justin Bieber concert...

That sounds like bad fanfiction...

Thanks for replying though. That's interesting....I wonder if the male seiyuu get the same treatment if they get married or have children? I saw that someone mentioned Miyano...I knew he got married awhile ago; did the fans give him shit about it?

I wonder how the fans would react if an actor/actress came out as gay, considering that it seems more conservative over in Japan than in the US/West?
They gave Miyano's wife hell, going as far as praying that she miscarry.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 22:33   Link #354
judasmartel
*Author

Ah yes, you should know by now that I suck at fanfiction.

But anyways, what happened to Miyano was absolutely horrible. However, it seems that in the modern day, nothing else beats the Kokoro Connect "Auditiongate" scandal.

It was basically a prank gone wrong pulled off on a seiyuu named Mitsuhiro Ichiki. He was told to audition for a character role in the anime adaptation of Kokoro Connect, only to be absolutely devastated when the character he auditioned for turned out to be fake.

Things went south when Takuma Terashima and Hisako Kanemoto made fun of Ichiki for that, and then his good friend Tomokazu Sugita jumped in to defend him. Then shit hits the fan.

This resulted into cataclysmic shitstorms throughout Japan, and BD sales suffered. As quite the compensation, Ichiki really did appear in a role in Episode 14 of the anime, and he told people that they should really forget about it.

I don't know how he managed to stomach all that shame and humiliation, considering that the Japanese usually don't handle them very well (personal honor is a very important concept in the East), but I feel so bad for the guy that I think he should get more prominent roles later in his career.
Old 2012-12-24, 15:45   Link #355
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

That's horrible. I hope Miyano went after whomever made those threats to his wife.

^I heard about that on ANN...that's crazy as well. I hope that poor seiyuu gets a shitload of roles just to prove those seiyuu that dissed him wrong.
Old 2012-12-24, 16:00   Link #356
Mura
Now or Never

I liked Kanemoto Hisako too, because of her roles as Cure Peace and Ika Musume. Though after that Kokoro Connect fiasco I'm not sure anymore. I still want to continue liking her but that certainly is a black spot on her resume. Its certainly not something that should be easily forgiven so I have to take a step back sometimes and rethink how I feel.

I do feel that otakus don't see these seiyuus as human beings though, they have their own lives to live too. If they want to get in a relationship and eventually get married then I believe they shouldn't be looked down for that. Well, the seiyuu world is most definitely serious business. In more ways than one.
Old 2012-12-25, 01:09   Link #357
judasmartel
*Author

Well, I did say above, voice acting in Japan is serious fucking business.

Anyways, I find it curious that female seiyuus get more roles than the males. Females even get to voice young boys, while males are usually stuck with older male roles most of the time, but it's not unheard of to hear a seiyuu voice a young boy role.

In fact, certain female seiyuus are better known for voicing young boys than for voicing girls or older women. Examples are Romi Paku (Edward Elric and Toshiro Hitsugaya), Megumi Ogata (Kenshin Himura), and Sanae Kobayashi. One would not even think at first that characters who exude MANLINESS like Son Goku and Monkey D. Luffy were actually voiced by a woman (Mayumi Tanaka).

So does it mean that female Japanese voice actors have a much wider voice range than we credit them for?

Last edited by judasmartel; 2012-12-25 at 07:07.
Old 2012-12-25, 06:57   Link #358
Kakkou
Tch.

TBH I find it hard to believe that anyone would ever think Goku was voiced by a man at all. I dunno, most of the time female voiced males are very easy to notice, even if their voice suits the character or even if they sound manly. Very few of them actually genuinely sound male, like Yumiko Kobayashi who has the eternal voice of a little boy IRL.

Current male seiyuu play just as much, if not more young male roles than they do older males and they still outnumber female seiyuu playing male characters. It's only when the character's voice is meant to sound younger and younger that females have the upper hand over male seiyuu who are typically in their twenties or older. So it's not surprising that they get more roles than males because the option to play males roles is there as opposed to men who typically don't have the option of actually playing girls other than as a joke.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 07:19   Link #359
judasmartel
*Author

And yet I find it really amusing to hear female seiyuus who are usually known to voice cutesy moe-moe females voicing young boys.

Rina Sato might be voicing a lot of cute girls, but her first known famous role is Negi Springfield from Mahou Sensei Negima. But what really cracked me up is freaking Saber (yes, I use that name for Ayako Kawasumi) voicing an incredibly perverted fox-girl who is madly in love with a cute little boy voiced by Mamiko Noto. Yep. MamiNoto actually voiced a boy.
Old 2012-12-25, 08:07   Link #360
scineram

Could someone tell me what is she talking about?
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote