AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-04-04, 19:57   Link #381
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Actually, since Lucasarts wasn't doing squat with the X-wing games anyway, this only increases the chance of another one, since now external companies can start poking around asking "hey, mind if we...?"
That is my hope with this move, but it is another disturbing move in the line of moves made by Disney. I am very worried about the written EU side of things.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 04:55   Link #382
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Is Disney about to destroy the Star Wars Expanded Universe Altogether?

This keeps getting better ehh?
Old 2013-04-05, 07:27   Link #383
JagdPanther

The end is nigh...

Old 2013-04-05, 11:37   Link #384
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Oh please, a lot of the EU is barely being held together by duct-ape as it is. New authors write, new things contradict the established canon, we work around and hammer until it the complete retcon is only a quirky alteration. Nothing's changed.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 12:36   Link #385
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
What do you expect?

From the very beginning, the film universe had always trumped the EU. You change the side materials to suit the movies, not the other way around. It was the case before Disney, and it is still the case after Disney. No one is changing the rules on you here.
Old 2013-04-05, 13:03   Link #386
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I can see why this is bothering people. Heck I'm not too pleased to see them shutting down LucasArts if only for all those people losing their jobs when they thought they were making a soon to be great game.

That said I think in the long run any way you could get this franchise out of Lucas' hands is going to work out for the positive in the long run.
Old 2013-04-05, 13:42   Link #387
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I'd say it's more of a case that Disney is hitting a hard reset as they have their own vision of running Star Wars so they are cutting all ties and starting fresh and consolidating assets.

Whether or not this turns out great we'll see.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 13:45   Link #388
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Remember the original Disney responce to Star Wars? It was called "The Black Hole".

Disney's first PG rated film.
Old 2013-04-05, 13:47   Link #389
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I'd say it's more of a case that Disney is hitting a hard reset as they have their own vision of running Star Wars so they are cutting all ties and starting fresh and consolidating assets.

Whether or not this turns out great we'll see.
Ewoks on ice
Ewoks the musical
Old 2013-04-05, 14:03   Link #390
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ewok Adventures covered those already.
Old 2013-04-05, 20:02   Link #391
JagdPanther

Quote:
Oh please, a lot of the EU is barely being held together by duct-ape as it is. New authors write, new things contradict the established canon, we work around and hammer until it the complete retcon is only a quirky alteration. Nothing's changed.
I'm sorry. Some people like the EU a lot.

And the EU does a pretty decent job of holding itself together until crap like The Clone Wars comes along with awful storylines that make no sense.

Old 2013-04-05, 22:49   Link #392
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post

And the EU does a pretty decent job of holding itself together until crap like The Clone Wars comes along with awful storylines that make no sense.
I love the EU and the Clone Wars.

With Disney tearing apart everything that they are, I don't care anymore. Tear apart the EU Disney. Making your own Star Wars reality won't change my having read all those stories and enjoyed all those plots.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 12:47   Link #393
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

Only if you only look at the recent EU. Boba Fett's story for example was a convoluted mess of contradictions and retcons that somehow got taped together into a semi-working story long before stuff the like Clone Wars came along (did you know that he was a former stormtrooper at one point?).

EU's always had contradictions, and the EU has always found a way to make them fit. I don't think this will change.

Last edited by Keroko; 2013-04-06 at 13:33.
Old 2013-04-06, 20:41   Link #394
JagdPanther

Quote:
Only if you only look at the recent EU. Boba Fett's story for example was a convoluted mess of contradictions and retcons that somehow got taped together into a semi-working story long before stuff the like Clone Wars came along (did you know that he was a former stormtrooper at one point?).

EU's always had contradictions, and the EU has always found a way to make them fit. I don't think this will change.
And now we have a backstory about Boba Fett that makes absolutely no sense. The kid was, what, ten-ish in Attack? Within a year or so, when The Clone Wars takes place, he looks seventeen-ish and is a well-trained badass bounty hunter.

Old 2013-04-06, 22:00   Link #395
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Ewoks on ice
Ewoks the musical
Oh no you didn't!

SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 04:57   Link #396
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
And now we have a backstory about Boba Fett that makes absolutely no sense. The kid was, what, ten-ish in Attack? Within a year or so, when The Clone Wars takes place, he looks seventeen-ish and is a well-trained badass bounty hunter.
His first appearance was pretty amateurish, actually. He only got more competent post-timeskip, where his design looks... 14? 15ish? Technically possible for a 13 year old, depending on hormones.

See? Tweaking's easy.
Old 2013-04-07, 15:00   Link #397
AnimeFan188

Why Cancelling Star Wars: 1313 Is Such a Good Thing:

"On Wednesday, Disney (NYSE: DIS) announced something of a surprise. They are
shutting down LucasArts. LucasArts is the branch of George Lucas' company that
develops video games. Over the years they have made dozens of games based on
the Star Wars universe. But they also have developed other classic properties such
as The Secret of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

But for the last couple of years the developer has been struggling. Four months
into the happy marriage between Disney and Lucas, Disney thought it best to shut
it down. 150 people were laid off. Games in development, like Star Wars: 1313, are
being cancelled. Dinsey now plans on licensing LucasArts' video game properties
out to third party developers."

See:

http://beta.fool.com/thequast/2013/0...gyholnk0000001
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 17:16   Link #398
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

"EA has already developed Star Wars games before. They are the developer behind Star Wars: The Old Republic. "

.... I'm... not sure how serious to take this article. The author doesn't really seem to do any fact finding (claiming that EA developed SWTOR rather than Bioware), but anyone with even casual knowledge of the game industry knows EA is a publisher, not a developer.
Old 2013-04-07, 21:04   Link #399
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
"EA has already developed Star Wars games before. They are the developer behind Star Wars: The Old Republic. "

.... I'm... not sure how serious to take this article. The author doesn't really seem to do any fact finding (claiming that EA developed SWTOR rather than Bioware), but anyone with even casual knowledge of the game industry knows EA is a publisher, not a developer.
I find optimistic journalism based on...optimism and devoid of facts to be largely...pointless, and rarely indicative of the realities of life.

Other gaming sites (ie: Kotaku) are reporting that sources within Lucas Arts claim there is "almost no chance" of 1313 being licensed by someone else, which would suggest Disney really does want a clean slate where existing Star Wars projects are their baby, licensed or in house.

I mean, if it was all about money, they would have simply moved Clone Wars to their own channel, as it was doing very well. But, they cancelled and laid most of them off (so it wasn't because they wanted the crew to animate a new cartoon). Seems more evidence they just want existing projects to be "their" projects. One might call it a cleaning of the house, regardless of whether it's trash or not.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-04-07 at 21:30.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 02:08   Link #400
solomon

What I don't like about this is that they might axe ILM's feature animation division. Rango was a neat movie, FAR too neat for the mouse house.....ugh corporations....
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars