AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-25, 23:40   Link #1061
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I'm willing to bet a lot of money that none of this is real at all. The entire existence in AO is just a 'dream'.

As for whether it's better than the original? Well, to be honest, there are some things about the original I loathe, even if I cherished the show in its entirety, so I'm open to the idea that by the time AO is over, I'll view it as being better.

That said, I loved Charles and Ray so much that it's going to take something very special for that to happen.
The series could end up "better" though I doubt it can be as iconic. The first series was pretty slow and plodding from ep 3 through 19, so, on a few levels, AO is a lot better of an opening act.

Nothing will replace Charles & Ray. That arc is one of the best you'll ever see. But you need characters as well developed as those two to really pull it off. Those types of characters don't come around often.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 23:45   Link #1062
SQA

Great catch on the cockpit being different. It's a 3 seater layout with a set of controls that look fairly different. It's a bit more like the original Nirvash, but not completely.

That opens up so many questions. None of which I have answers for. As it seems to be a completely different design, we have to assume it's very intentional. I guess the Nirvash is eventually going to be a 3 seater?
Old 2012-05-26, 00:10   Link #1063
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBar9 View Post
Am I the only one that noticed Nirvashes cockpit was different in the dream world?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ho~ Interesting... Truth's memory of Nirvash had three seats.

Nirvash Mark I was sort of like the Thurston family car. Which brings to question where mom and dad went.

Also Truth is likely manipulating Naru's memory. Likely it was Nirvash with Eureka that saved her not Truth.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 00:14   Link #1064
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Very interesting AO panel with Koyama Shigeto (Designer for BONES and GAINAX) at Fanime tonight. They showed the first three eps, and I liked them even better the second time. I hate to see all the negativity, but I let him know at least some of us think AO is outstanding.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 00:29   Link #1065
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Am I the only one that noticed Nirvashes cockpit was different in the dream world?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Very odd indeed, but the cockpit doesn't stay that way for the entire dream sequence. An error maybe, but certainly a very odd one.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:25   Link #1066
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Maybe it is foreshadowing the return of Ao's parents.
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 06:10   Link #1067
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Very odd indeed, but the cockpit doesn't stay that way for the entire dream sequence. An error maybe, but certainly a very odd one.
It seems a tad too detailed and conventional to be an animation error, it's probably intentional. After the scene with three seats, it shows the nirvash flying for a second before it passes behind a building.

Spoiler:
ChocoBar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 06:22   Link #1068
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I dunno, I think it could be an error. Even the last "normal cockpit" scene seems really bad in terms of layout compared to normal. If they needed to rush some B-scenes, and the contractors doing those scenes weren't given detailed layouts, this sort of thing can happen. It's definitely uncommon for BONES, since they have great lead times, but who knows. The main issue for me is that those scenes look bad. They're not just "wrong" but they also seem like the sort of cuts that were sub-contracted.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 07:04   Link #1069
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Actually, I watched the scene again, and I have a slightly different thought now.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-26, 07:39   Link #1070
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Actually, I watched the scene again, and I have a slightly different thought now.

Spoiler:
Perfectly logical explanation. And yet it could also be foreshadowing.

Still, I don't think "real" Renton is showing up, except maybe as part of the OVA. "Real Renton" is going to be a bit more like Samuel L. Jackson by this point in the time line. We tend to forget that he + the final evolution of the Nirvash headbutted their way through Time & Space. You're a certifiable Badass at that point.
Old 2012-05-26, 07:41   Link #1071
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:

Spoiler:
Except FPs don't have controls like that. And "willing it to become Nirvash"? I don't think so. Not after all the other Easter eggs they've given.
Old 2012-05-26, 08:35   Link #1072
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Except FPs don't have controls like that. And "willing it to become Nirvash"? I don't think so. Not after all the other Easter eggs they've given.
FPs and IFOs all have different types of controls and cockpits. We've seen a bunch and none of them ever look the same. As far as easter eggs go, this looks nothing like the old Nirvash cockpit, nor does the vehicle look anything like Nirvash. So either it's just an FP, or it's really bad art. Take your pick.
Old 2012-05-26, 08:52   Link #1073
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
FPs and IFOs all have different types of controls and cockpits. We've seen a bunch and none of them ever look the same. As far as easter eggs go, this looks nothing like the old Nirvash cockpit, nor does the vehicle look anything like Nirvash. So either it's just an FP, or it's really bad art. Take your pick.
What? All the FPs we've seen have steering wheels or configurations that look like steering wheels. IFOs have pilot levers
Old 2012-05-26, 09:08   Link #1074
duckroll
綺羅星★!

OMG! I solved the mystery! I was going back through the episodes looking through cockpit scenes to compare, and in episode 4 I found this in the background scenes at the mining base at the end when Ao met up with Naru and the Generation Bleu dudes:

Spoiler:

That's DEFINITELY the same three-seater craft that's in the dream sequence. So I think this proves that it's not Nirvash once and for all. :P
Old 2012-05-26, 09:50   Link #1075
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Very interesting AO panel with Koyama Shigeto (Designer for BONES and GAINAX) at Fanime tonight. They showed the first three eps, and I liked them even better the second time. I hate to see all the negativity, but I let him know at least some of us think AO is outstanding.
I don't think you're alone there. I've seen tons of positive opinions on the show, and many people even saying they already like it better than the first.

And for the most part, I share the positive opinions, even on this episode, aside from the irritatingly ntr undertones of this episode which I hope quickly prove to be Truth's hypnosis or merely confined to being the details of Ao's dream. I've been enjoying the show quite a bit, although I don't ever think I'll like it more than E7.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 10:21   Link #1076
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Well first three episodes really were really great.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 12:36   Link #1077
Arya

Wow, Naru a bitch? No way
The episode was a bit messy, but I liked it. Surely it's hard to say something about the direction writers are going to. But I'm glad of the twist, I feared for some more episodes like the lasts, with Naru waiting offscreen for a while and Ao fighting the monster of the day. Instead they decided to give us Naru back in an original way. Well, don't know if it is original nor if she is really back, surely Naru's bitchy attitude would be really something But that was a vision. Truth in the previous episode was presented as a master of mystification, shape-shifting, but even in perception. So who knows what Naru saw? Who knows what he wanted Ao saw in his dream? Truth shows himself because Ao appeared, but since that was a dream, Ao didn't appear so Truth could have kept Ao's shape.
If I had to say Naru popping out seemed a bit out of the blue, so I don't know if Truth did that to piss Ao off (make him evolve faster) or really because of Naru.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 15:50   Link #1078
Tyr Valein

Quote:
Yes, he willed it to become the Nirvash. Just like Renton willed himself to become the Nirvash in Acperience 2...it was all a dream so it makes perfect sense from my corner.
Tyr Valein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 16:39   Link #1079
ChocoBar9
Banned

I have this info from Koyama Shigeto, one of the designers, during Fanime
Quote:
-There are actually three character designers, but (and there’s a big hint here) Yoshida Kenichi designed “characters who have a direct connection to the first series” – i.e. Ao and Naru. Oda Hiroyuki handled most of the rest

-Among the stuff Koyama designed for AO are Noah and the Secret.

-The staff is working on AO “24/7” at the moment, and hates him for leaving the country now. Kyoda-sensei promised serious bodily harm if he revealed any spoilers (not that a couple of yahoos in the crowd didn’t try).

-He said certain elements were written into AO to “make sure fans of the first series will enjoy the connection. There are hints about this in every episode”. (heh)

-He said one of the things the creators tried to do is make the music of E7 reflective of the time, and that each series is quite different musically for this reason.

-Among other gigs, Koyama-san works with Studio Khara on the EVA films (he designed Asuka’s plug suit). He also did the character design for Joey on Heroman. He said Stan Lee’s directions were “He’s 13 and poor” and that’s it. When he showed his final design to Lee, Lee said “He looks like a girl!”

-If he had to pilot only one, he’d rather pilot Nirvash over an EVA – but he loves both.
Biggest influences were designers like Okiwara Kunio and Izubuchi Yutaka. But one of his favorite mecha designs is Eve from “WALL-E” – because it’s so incredibly simple.
Old 2012-05-26, 18:33   Link #1080
Tyr Valein

You know, no one's mentioned those pulses of light we've seen in between each event in the dream sequence and how they get stronger and brighter just before Ao wakes up...
Tyr Valein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen