AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-22, 15:53   Link #521
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

whitepearl, i thought you needed one of every direction for that hand to work out. you paired your easts but you're missing a north. and in mahjong, the odds of anyone actually getting a hand like that is extremely slim. heck, the odds of getting a kan (or gong, as i know it) like Saki does is also slim.

anyways, ep3. Saki is a MONSTER. ridiculously good player. she plays for sport and manages to destroy Nodoka. i can't wait for the eventual match up between her and her sister.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 16:20   Link #522
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

He received the north tile from North's discard, as you can see in the result screen. He only wanted to make the point that out all the yakuman's that was the 'easiest' to get, provided that you get a good number of honor tiles on your starting hand. And getting a kan is not rare at all. It's extremely common to see at least 3 or 4 kans during the course of a mahjong match. It IS extremely rare for one to get a tsumo from the tile you get from the dead wall once you open your kan (a chankan), which is why I'd agree with you that she is a monster
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 16:37   Link #523
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Actually, one thing I'm not entirely certain on: What if you had a yakuman hand that independantly had more than 13 fan? Like, say, you had a 4 concealed pungs and declared riichi, where all 4 of the pungs were actually dora and/or ura-dora, giving you 12 fan for dora and 1 for the riichi, in addition to the 1 yakuman for the 4 concealed pungs hand.... Would that count as 2 yakuman? Or is that still only one yakuman? I mean, I suppose the chances of that are infinitesimal, but still... I'm not sure how that would be scored.
There was this Mahjong game released on the Famicom in 1989 by Natsume. Someone managed to get a hold of a ROM/emulator version and uploaded some video onto niconico where he generated yakumans through a cheat...he does get double yakumans and managed to get a dora 14 through cheating, lol

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2040483

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 16:38   Link #524
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

ah, i missed the north there. anyways, i couldn't figure out how to get that website to work. i couldn't pick up tiles i wanted that other people discarded.
Old 2009-04-22, 17:10   Link #525
Proto

When you can pick up a tile the other people discard the game will tell you either to pick up the tile or to pass. The pass button is perfectly obvious, but maybe the pickup option is not so. You actually have to click on your tiles, the ones that combined with the discarded tile would make a chi, pon or kan.
Old 2009-04-22, 18:44   Link #526
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
If someone discards the winning tile, either click the RON button or highlight the set of text on the bottom right (the words that are white on the bottom of my screencap)...selecting that option will allow you to ron/tsumo automatically when you get the winning tile.

A little knowledge of hiragana and katagana is needed.

But yes, back to Saki...with the tournament starting in the next episode (or the one after?) are there any specific players to look out for? Episode 3 did seem to make allusions that we should be paying attention to select participants but I'm wondering if any of them have the same luck Saki has or if they possess some unreal talent.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 19:41   Link #527
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i admit that there's some talent involved, but the way they talk about talent in Saki irks me. especially since so much of the game is based on luck. in my estimation and years of playing, its pretty much down to 30% talent of knowing what tiles to keep for what type of winning hand and 60% what you draw and 10% what the person next to you throws out.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2009-04-22 at 22:02.
Old 2009-04-22, 22:47   Link #528
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepearl View Post
If someone discards the winning tile, either click the RON button or highlight the set of text on the bottom right (the words that are white on the bottom of my screencap)...selecting that option will allow you to ron/tsumo automatically when you get the winning tile.

A little knowledge of hiragana and katagana is needed.

But yes, back to Saki...with the tournament starting in the next episode (or the one after?) are there any specific players to look out for? Episode 3 did seem to make allusions that we should be paying attention to select participants but I'm wondering if any of them have the same luck Saki has or if they possess some unreal talent.
Not really a spoiler: They ALL posses some unique talent.

Remember, this is essentially a shounen sports anime. That's the way it works.

Spoiler for manga based:
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 22:56   Link #529
Wargumm1i
Hentai

This anime is suprisingly fun, I also enjoy the characters and I have too say that this anime is very close too yuri, because Nodoka is always blushing around Saki... but i dont think its going too happen...

But I do know how too play Mahjong and I guess you could say, i think its average. But I dont like how the anime makes Mahjong look sooooooo stupid, I mean god the whole flashes and thunder when they make moves OMFG lame.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 23:01   Link #530
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Not much at the beginning, though. They will show us how Saki team crushes everyone easily, but don't worry, the progress will be very short if they follow the manga closely (I estimate it'll be 1 ep only for all 5 matches), and when it reaches a final, expect to see a 2 episode long match .

I'm waiting to see my lolis .

It may be hard for other people to swallow, but luck is also one kind of talent, especially when it comes to a game that luck plays a big factor in it like Mahjong.

Quote:
But I do know how too play Mahjong and I guess you could say, i think its average. But I dont like how the anime makes Mahjong look sooooooo stupid, I mean god the whole flashes and thunder when they make moves OMFG lame.
Sorry, but I thought it's cool, and this is one of the reasons I follow this show .
Old 2009-04-22, 23:23   Link #531
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the special effects are win. especially the flash in the eye.
Old 2009-04-22, 23:40   Link #532
Copycatken

From episode 3, it looks like all the other teams in the prefectural qualification round are from all-girl schools. That makes Saki's school the only exception, since it's co-ed. Quite "surprising" that there aren't more guys interested in mahjong in this show . If only Kyou wasn't there...
Old 2009-04-23, 00:22   Link #533
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Oh it can get higher...

Come to think of it, I did declare riichi but I don't know if that alone helped make the score that much higher...

nvm, I was dealer which *may* have been why the score was higher...

I still haven't memorized how to count fu and calculate scores from han...
ty, i guess mine shoulve been close to 32k bc a self draw. its too bad that those hands arent easier to get.

saki is a monster at mahjong but so far the title goes to akagi. he was very good and played with some rather risky odds O.O.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 03:14   Link #534
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Did anyone notice in episode 3 around the 13:00 mark when Saki discards that five circle tile and Yuuki declares Ron on it that the five tile that Yuuki already has looks like it's from a completely different set. Yuuki's is all red, but the type of tile Saki just discarded was Black and Red. I wonder what gives with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
the special effects are win. especially the flash in the eye.
You haven't seen anything until Koromo shows up. If they do her properly it might as well be like having the flashy level equivalent of a Super Robot. Every one of her poses and effects looks like it's ripped straight from a mecha anime.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 03:24   Link #535
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Did anyone notice in episode 3 around the 13:00 mark when Saki discards that five circle tile and Yuuki declares Ron on it that the five tile that Yuuki already has looks like it's from a completely different set. Yuuki's is all red, but the type of tile Saki just discarded was Black and Red. I wonder what gives with that.
That is a red dora, there is an explantion about it in the first ep.

EDIT: Hmm.....Can someone go and answer my question in Saki manga's topic?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...t=80184&page=2

Last edited by Marina2; 2009-04-23 at 03:44.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 03:28   Link #536
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Well, they mentioned it at ep 1, so I don't know you miss it or just forget , but that's a red tile (works as 1 dora). Yuuki's one is a normal tile.

Saki's hand is fast. I can't switch the tiles in an instance like that.
Can't get enough Yuuki's voice, seriously.

[edit]
ninja'ed D:
My bad, Yuuki's one is a red dora tile.

Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 2009-04-23 at 04:01.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 03:42   Link #537
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Ah, okay I see how that works. I've never played any game with those rules and missed the part on it in the first episode. Yuuki had the Dora tile though.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 04:01   Link #538
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
That is a red dora, there is an explantion about it in the first ep.
Why were the 5's chosen to be the special? Just because it's the middle tile? (I'm guessing 1-3 and 7-9 are out because they are on the 123/789 sides, 4 is shi, so that leaves 5 or 6.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 04:36   Link #539
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

Yuki is so cute... She needs to appear more. Best Rie character ever.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 07:29   Link #540
Proto

Quote:
Yuki is so cute... She needs to appear more. Best Rie character ever.
I guess you haven't seen her as Matsudaira Touko from Maria sama ga Miteru, but I'll admit Yuki's different from her typical role.

Any, what time is Saki broadcasted in Japan?

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen