AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-16, 02:12   Link #21
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I think Clare has some understanding of what Priscilla was going through with her awakening, now having gone through it herself partially (along with many of the other screwed up things Claymores experience).

I think her rage when the meeting happens will be more focused on the anger of what the Organization did to all Claymores rather than on Priscilla herself. Not that Priscilla is exempt from hatred but if you look at the ever expanding scope of the story there are bigger and bigger problems. The Organization has tipped the power balance of the continent back in their favor and there is the looming force outside of the continent that will eventually come into play.

I think we'll see a continuing evolution of Clare as the story continues. I'm not sure how many have noticed yet, but she is acting more and more like Teresa. Not in the "faint smile" type of personality, but more in her actions and choices as she slowly becomes stronger and wiser. I remember the scene when Clare was dreaming of Teresa, thinking back on it now I wonder if it was more than just a dream sequence.

At an earlier point in the story, I would say she would be consumed with revenge (and indeed that is the path that the anime took). But now, I think she's more concerned with the bonds she has formed and the increasingly complex problems that the various factions are involved in.

If anything I'd say her sole obsession is Raki, if only the story didn't side track her constantly.

Anyway, I don't think revenge for Teresa will be directed at Priscilla, but at the real monsters behind it all. Teresa understood this, and I think Clare will too.
Old 2009-04-16, 02:57   Link #22
Cyclone
Transient Guest

As I said before in several times in other threads, if there is a reconcilliation between Clare and Pricilla- however brief - I hope Pricilla does something to earn it. I am still bitter over the Teresa thing, and I'd be unhappy if the mere act of avoiding Clare for a decade was enough for Clare to just forget about it and let bygones be bygones.

As for Clare, yes she is becoming more like Teresa. Chiba has mentioned this before on several occasions, but the dream about Teresa that Clare had in the Slasher's arc marked the start of her learning how to use youki sensing in battle (Teresa's skill). So the odds of it being a mere coincidence are very slim. The partial awakening Clare had in Rabona does seem to be trigger to awakening some of Teresa's power in Clare.

It's because I believe that Clare will eventually inherit Teresa's power, and because I believe that if there is to be a fight, Clare must beat Pricilla (not possible yet... but maybe eventually, maybe...), that I believe that Teresa was more powerful than Pricilla. If she wasn't, Clare would have no hope in winning, and I think that would go against the genre somewhat.
Old 2009-04-16, 04:53   Link #23
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

O-M-G!! I might consider leaving this thread. We now have *ahem*

In my opinion, Priscilla must eventually die in the manga. Yagi created a character that would draw hatred towards her because of what she did to Teresa, thus upsetting many Teresa fans if Priscilla's act is just not justified.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Old 2009-04-16, 06:07   Link #24
Sleepy Speculator
sleepy

Has anyone else apart from me wondered why it looks like Clare shares a blind spot that got Teresa killed?

1.The infamous cheap shot occured whilst Teresa had her sword in a relatively low forward kind of guard position.

ch23 page 23?

2.And Clare lost her first duel to Miria when she was in the exact same position

ch26 page 18?

3.And again Clare barely avoided this attack in her second duel much much later (i think experience covered for it)

ch67 page 16?

Could it be there's an actual blind spot in yoki sensing? much as in the human eyes? The reason i say this is because in the 3 examples above, in the third example Clare could not use yoki sensing, and avoided losing the duel, though the force of the blow knocked her back with her sword in hand. (which is better than being disarmed, terrible pun i know)

And whilst Teresa could fight without yoki sensing, it was her most defining skill. She even picked up in speed and ability etc, whilst Priscilla was fighting blindly, once it became apparent that she could not fight using yoki sensing. (i think this merely indicates a switch in fighting styles, to one relying on sight as opposed to sense).

However due to Ilena's insistence and Priscilla's inexperience all 4 claymores attacked using energy release, which allowed Teresa to rever to yoki sensing style. At this point Teresa can not be blindsided by yoki based attacks in theory. And all 4 warriors were not only using it but exposed to residue aura that would take months to eradicate.

By contrast Clare's ability as an offensive warrior is yoki energy release, which at first was incompatible with her sensing ability, she had to choose which style to fight with. So Clare has learnt to fight for the most part without yoki sensing.

Biki Biki Biki Biki... (raaarrrggghhh!!! i need some coffee!)
Old 2009-04-16, 06:22   Link #25
BishounoTeresa
bitch in the shell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
One of the things that I wonder about is how Pricilla being spared by Teresa influenced her. Do you guys think that seeing Teresa and Clare, Pricilla's actions toward Raki could have been affected? That she regrets what she's done? That she finally remembers even?
Maybe she was affected subconsciously without realizing it and that might explain her behavior towards Raki; or he just reminded her of her father, brother or something, and her mind being like that of child now she felt like he could protect her or something. I don't think she remembers or even realizes much of what she has done before she met Raki, she was too unstable before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
In my opinion Priscilla must eventually die in the manga. Yagi created a character that would draw hatred towards her because of what she did to Teresa, thus upsetting many Teresa fans if Priscilla's act is just not finished.
I agree; it just wouldn't feel right if the main negative character just gets away, even if miraculously Priscilla gets her memory back and is able to comprehend what has happened or even regret it, I don't think Clare would ever forgive her and let her off the hook.

*The darkness will rise from the deep
And carry you down into sleep...*
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day to make you like everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting...

Last edited by BishounoTeresa; 2009-04-16 at 06:35.
Old 2009-04-16, 07:30   Link #26
Traun
Tetris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
In my opinion, Priscilla must eventually die in the manga. Yagi created a character that would draw hatred towards her because of what she did to Teresa, thus upsetting many Teresa fans if Priscilla's act is just not justified.
No writer has ever, EVER, made a character specifically to be hated, especially Yagi. If you think that Priscilla was created with the sole intent of being killed by Clare, you should re-read the manga, her character was developed WAY too much for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishounoTeresa
it just wouldn't feel right if the main negative character...
She is not.
Old 2009-04-16, 08:16   Link #27
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traun View Post
No writer has ever, EVER, made a character specifically to be hated, especially Yagi. If you think that Priscilla was created with the sole intent of being killed by Clare, you should re-read the manga, her character was developed WAY too much for this.
Don't over react please. I'm talking on the behalf of people who hate Priscilla. They really want her to die. I'm fine with whatever ending happens as long as the organization topples and Galatea does not die For readers, it just really ruins everything. I don't know if you can feel it, but a lot of readers have this super negative energy towards Priscilla. Now imagine if a character you really hate actually goes on to live. You may accept it but then you also want the crimes to be justified. It's a life for a life sometimes when it comes to manga or anime. Anyway, my opinion is completely subjective, so I'm sorry if you're a Priscilla lover/fan. In my opinion, it would be best for the story.

OMG!! Of course some writers create characters that intend to be hated. Some writers gain inspiration by thinking of character traits they don't like in an individual and from that create a character. For me, Priscilla lacks personality and that is all.

Old 2009-04-16, 08:29   Link #28
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Priscilla would probably be played as a piece on someone's board. As for who the player is, well, guess we'll have to wait. Rubel? Some as-of-now unknown side?
Old 2009-04-16, 08:55   Link #29
BishounoTeresa
bitch in the shell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traun View Post
She is not.
Oh excuse me, one of the main negative chars; and the one most hated by the main character, who's soul purpose for living is to kill her...

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day to make you like everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting...
Old 2009-04-17, 13:12   Link #30
Ryuken
Claymore #01

I have always loved this particular discussion. In fact, got my first rep for a post dedicated to just that.

And there are still more things to be discussed. Like when Prissy was down Teresa was totally focused on her but didn't see Prissy reaching for the sword which was on the ground.
Old 2009-04-17, 14:00   Link #31
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
Maybe Teresa had thought that Priscilla had given up.
Old 2009-04-17, 14:24   Link #32
BishounoTeresa
bitch in the shell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell88 View Post
Maybe Teresa had thought that Priscilla had given up.
That's what I thought too; she thought Priscilla was ready to die and had given up, so she didn't think she was a threat anymore.

Last edited by BishounoTeresa; 2009-04-17 at 15:37.
Old 2009-04-17, 17:38   Link #33
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishounoTeresa View Post
That's what I thought too; she thought Priscilla was ready to die and had given up, so she didn't think she was a threat anymore.
Any normal Claymore wouldn't want to awaken so when she begged for help Teresa listened and let her guard down. Priscilla is probably one of the first Claymores to awaken without a care like that in a long time.
Old 2009-04-17, 19:42   Link #34
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Priscilla is probably one of the first Claymores to awaken without a care like that in a long time.
It is likely she didn't know the consequences behind Awakening as other warriors did. She did cry & beg, but whether it was a ruse to get Teresa to lower her guard seems highly possible.
Old 2009-04-19, 01:53   Link #35
shippU

Hi, just signed up on the forum so please welcome me

sooo, to plunge in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Agreed

The first reaction to being spared was shock, the second was rage. Since in her naive notions about being the good guy got a huge slap in the face. Add that to her boiling blood, she just didn't think straight and clung to her old belief. All the while powering up, eventually she just lost control and charged after Teresa. In short she refused to accept the fact that she might be the bad guy here.
That's also my reading of how the scene plays out in both anime and manga, maybe with the addition that Priscilla's pride (as a warrior) took a huge blow. It's really only after Irene (Irene-sama!!! = coolest claymore) tells her she won't be able to defeat Teresa right now no matter what, that Priscilla blasts up her power and lunges off after the two.

my poor Irene-sama...indirect contributor to Teresa's untimely end ...and also to the beginning of the Claymore saga

it's pretty evident that Teresa let her guard down. Nobody on the scene expected what happened next to happen. We know that (most) Claymores would prefer to die rather than awaken, so much so that it's even ritualised (the black card, Elena) so when Priscilla bows her head down as though accepting her fate, NOBODY expected her next move. Least of all, the now-humane Teresa. It looks planned on Priscilla's part, which would make her previous idealistic behaviour so much more ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Long after the fight I have a feeling what remained of her humanity couldn't accept what she had done. So her humanity amplified the minor regression she had earlier. Eventually this ate away at her mental capacities until she meet Raki. As to what she thinks now I don't know but maybe Teresa taking in Clare has something to do with it or maybe because he showed her kindness, all that was left of her humanity clung everything on him; hopes, desires, desire for forgiveness, and her regret (hence why she's not eating, also to make sure Raki doesn't get mad at her).

I've wondered what will happen when Clare and Priscilla meet up again. Too much depends on circumstance but if Clare doesn't just attack and says why shes about to (or wants to) kill Priscilla, one of my countless thoughts was Priscilla will just breakdown and cry her eyes out, maybe even beg for forgiveness. Who knows how Clare will react to that, after all she saw Priscilla crying on her hands and knees right before she killed Priscilla. Plus Clare is some what damaged herself...
Priscilla is a bit of an enigma in that, right now, her existence per se seems pretty purposeless to an extent...she isn't plotting or scheming, isn't even rampaging anymore, just acting as Raki's yoma-radar lol...yet she isn't dull at all since we remain constantly aware of how dangerous she is. If anything, i'd say if it wasn't for the fact that he's hanging around with her, Raki would still remain the most two dimensional character in the story.

tho' i seriously hope the much anticipated showdown between Clare and Priscilla won't end up in a cryfest and a banquet o' love

just my 2 bits
Old 2009-04-19, 02:12   Link #36
shippU

sorry for posting twice in a row... but got to disagree that Priscilla started having feelings of contrition after her awakening. That's not the sense we get right after she kills Teresa. In fact, she revels in her awakening...and presumably goes off on a rampage so savage it grabbed Isley's attention, forcing him to try and stop this new monster.

Isley was perceptive enough to placate Priscilla after realizing just how strong she was and kept her in check with the promise of 'going down South' until Raki came along, after which she transferred the majority of her feelings to Raki.

There isn't much indication in the manga anyway to show that Priscilla regretted any of her actions, including the destruction of unnamed townships. The anime does show her sobbing as she digs into human guts, but that's the anime. i loathe those scenes
Old 2009-04-19, 02:51   Link #37
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

One of the extra scenes (at least I remember it being in one of them) shows Priscilla wandering around in a bit of a daze before devouring an entire town because she is hungry. When Isley shows up she defeats him but she's not exactly warriorlike in doing so. It's like her body was on auto pilot, and her mind went far far away somewhere else. Pure instinct.

Her mind was broken way before she awakened imo. The way she acted during the Teresa fight was extremely childlike (her ranting about the rules to Teresa, screaming for her papa, acting like she was the one who killed her family, etc). I doubt she was even thinking of anything "evil" when she killed Teresa. It was more like self preservation. Even after awakening, she revels in the feeling of it, but she acts like a child would when in a position of superiority, toying with her opponents, getting bored, and finding something else to do.

Compare this to other awakened beings, who are much more aware of what they've become and are full of emotion (Riful, Isley, Dauf, Agatha, etc.,). The closest to Priscilla might be Ophelia, I suppose. Alicia and Beth seem to be "tools" with no personality because of what happened with Raphaela and her sister in the past.
Old 2009-04-19, 06:07   Link #38
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter View Post
It is likely she didn't know the consequences behind Awakening as other warriors did. She did cry & beg, but whether it was a ruse to get Teresa to lower her guard seems highly possible.
I strongly disagree with how people think that Priscilla did it just to lower her opponent's guard. It's just not part of her personality as a claymore. Priscilla has a very complex personality but as she keeps saying, she does things with honor and integrity and cheap shots are absolutely a no-no for her.

Old 2009-04-19, 07:12   Link #39
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
One of the extra scenes (at least I remember it being in one of them) shows Priscilla wandering around in a bit of a daze before devouring an entire town because she is hungry. When Isley shows up she defeats him but she's not exactly warriorlike in doing so. It's like her body was on auto pilot, and her mind went far far away somewhere else. Pure instinct.

I think that happened because her life was in danger. She wasn't that irrational when she cleaned the floor with Rigardo.

It's something like survival instinct. Maybe her mind still denies the fact that she is an Awakened Being right now but when her lifes is in danger, the AB mind takes over.
Old 2009-04-19, 09:30   Link #40
Awakened
Clare's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shippU View Post
Hi, just signed up on the forum so please welcome me

sooo, to plunge in....

That's also my reading of how the scene plays out in both anime and manga, maybe with the addition that Priscilla's pride (as a warrior) took a huge blow. It's really only after Irene (Irene-sama!!! = coolest claymore) tells her she won't be able to defeat Teresa right now no matter what, that Priscilla blasts up her power and lunges off after the two.

my poor Irene-sama...indirect contributor to Teresa's untimely end ...and also to the beginning of the Claymore saga

it's pretty evident that Teresa let her guard down. Nobody on the scene expected what happened next to happen. We know that (most) Claymores would prefer to die rather than awaken, so much so that it's even ritualised (the black card, Elena) so when Priscilla bows her head down as though accepting her fate, NOBODY expected her next move. Least of all, the now-humane Teresa. It looks planned on Priscilla's part, which would make her previous idealistic behaviour so much more ironic.

Priscilla is a bit of an enigma in that, right now, her existence per se seems pretty purposeless to an extent...she isn't plotting or scheming, isn't even rampaging anymore, just acting as Raki's yoma-radar lol...yet she isn't dull at all since we remain constantly aware of how dangerous she is. If anything, i'd say if it wasn't for the fact that he's hanging around with her, Raki would still remain the most two dimensional character in the story.

tho' i seriously hope the much anticipated showdown between Clare and Priscilla won't end up in a cryfest and a banquet o' love

just my 2 bits
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJB View Post
I think that happened because her life was in danger. She wasn't that irrational when she cleaned the floor with Rigardo.

It's something like survival instinct. Maybe her mind still denies the fact that she is an Awakened Being right now but when her lifes is in danger, the AB mind takes over.
I agree. Her yoki is stronger than a normal Claymore so it might be able to take control of Pricsilla's mind when Priscilla is about to die, just like the fox in Naruto. She has two personality, we always see her yoma side come out when her life is in danger.

She is like Wiggle in lord of the ring, lol. Raki is her precious.