Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-02-09, 16:37   Link #41
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
You're not alone; I really haven't played anything Tales aside from Symphonia 2, the Vesperia demo (didn't really like the combat system from that one though, so I couldn't motivate myself to get the actual game...), and Graces f. But it's still awesome to see all of these characters from all these different Tales games interracting together.

And I love crossovers.
I've only played Vesperia I learn of Abyss through the anime, and watched the current Symphonia OVA, and I've watched Symphonia 2 walkthrough on youtube cause I don't have a Wii

Quote:
Of course, though, there's the well-promo-ed scene of Marta, Collete, and Cheria together, all characters I do know.
Marta and Collete are adorable

I don't know Cheria very well, but I do know a couple of doujins with her heh...

The scene that caught my attention though is Yuri vs Leon vs Asbel... I can guess the Leon is very strong, and I know Yuri is pretty strong, but how is Asbel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Also, lol @ Emil and Ruca. Reminds me of that bonus DVD with Tales of Hearts featuring the skit of them trying (and failing) to introduce each other, only to go into their dark side modes and beat each other up instead while laughing maniacally.
Lol I remember that skit! It was all kinds of awesome seeing those two trying to talk to each other I don't know about Ruca's dark mode, but Ratatosk is one of my favorite characters, not just in the tales series, but in anywhere

Bad-freaking-assed.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 23:33   Link #42
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

Marta and Collete are adorable
You clearly didnīt saw Tear and Presea feeding Caius and Eugene. /jk

Quote:
The scene that caught my attention though is Yuri vs Leon vs Asbel... I can guess the Leon is very strong, and I know Yuri is pretty strong, but how is Asbel ?
IIRC they are the top 3 characters on the official polls. Also spinasbel.

Quote:
Lol I remember that skit! It was all kinds of awesome seeing those two trying to talk to each other I don't know about Ruca's dark mode, but Ratatosk is one of my favorite characters, not just in the tales series, but in anywhere

Bad-freaking-assed.
This was in the ToH special, right? The one where Barbatos does something like an exercise program and Guy uses a gummi and NO ITEMS EVAAAAAAAAAAAA~~R, right?
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 23:49   Link #43
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith View Post
You clearly didnīt saw Tear and Presea feeding Caius and Eugene. /jk
Well when you put it that way

Quote:
IIRC they are the top 3 characters on the official polls. Also spinasbel.
Strong as in combat-wise I can guess that Leon is pretty strong, in Vesperia Yuri was known to be a very good swordsman, but I don't know about Asbel.

btw, What's 'spinasbel' and the story behind this nick ?

Quote:
This was in the ToH special, right? The one where Barbatos does something like an exercise program and Guy uses a gummi and NO ITEMS EVAAAAAAAAAAAA~~R, right?
I think so? All I remember from that skit was Emil and Ruca doing what they do worst- trying to have a conversation, and in the end they just flip out their 'true' nature and the environment went all dark and lightning
Old 2011-02-09, 23:57   Link #44
Laith
*Author

Quote:
Strong as in combat-wise I can guess that Leon is pretty strong, in Vesperia Yuri was known to be a very good swordsman, but I don't know about Asbel.

btw, What's 'spinasbel' and the story behind this nick ?
Leon is strong because
Spoiler for Destiny spoilers.:

Asbel does
Spoiler for Graces skit spoilers,:

He is voiced by the same guy that voiced Suzaku in Code Geass, he has a similar character arc if I heard correctly, has a costume of Suzaku, has a spin kick, ergo Spinasbel.
Old 2011-02-10, 15:08   Link #45
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Just got in my copy this morning and I'm about an hour into it. So far, it is in fact quest-based, although I'm only starting the second quest now.

I love how you can customize the heck out of your character; you can even make the eyes different colors and change the character's battle voice set. There's just one problem though; this means that your character won't be taking part in any of the anime sequences or skits. Plus, the fact that you can have your character be either a girl or boy as well, pretty much shoots down the possibility of a romance angle between Kanonno and the player character, a factor common for the Tales series and which I've always liked. The only possibility is if your player character's relationship to Kanonno varies by gender; friendship if the player character is a girl, and romance if a guy. But I'm not holding my breath for this.

Anyway, the combat system is the basic rehash for Tales games (at least, it's the same combat system that was used in both Vesperia and Symphonia 2); a three-hit physical combo varying by D-Pad input with the O button, and an Arte attack you can tack on at the end with the X button and varied by D-Pad input. Your characters also use TP, same as Vesperia and Symphonia 2. Not that this is a bad thing; for some reason, while I found this combat system slow in Symphonia 2 and the Vesperia demo (which, as I pointed out earlier, is part of why I couldn't motivate myself into getting Vesperia), it seems to pass over with me better than before. *shrug*

And I do like the OP, except now I've pinpointed what I didn't like about it; the little chorus for the last part of the OP theme. It sounds like it was sung by a chorus f little kids to me for some reason, which is a bit "bleh."
Old 2011-02-10, 18:44   Link #46
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Just got in my copy this morning and I'm about an hour into it. So far, it is in fact quest-based, although I'm only starting the second quest now.

I love how you can customize the heck out of your character; you can even make the eyes different colors and change the character's battle voice set. There's just one problem though; this means that your character won't be taking part in any of the anime sequences or skits. Plus, the fact that you can have your character be either a girl or boy as well, pretty much shoots down the possibility of a romance angle between Kanonno and the player character, a factor common for the Tales series and which I've always liked. The only possibility is if your player character's relationship to Kanonno varies by gender; friendship if the player character is a girl, and romance if a guy. But I'm not holding my breath for this.

Anyway, the combat system is the basic rehash for Tales games (at least, it's the same combat system that was used in both Vesperia and Symphonia 2); a three-hit physical combo varying by D-Pad input with the O button, and an Arte attack you can tack on at the end with the X button and varied by D-Pad input. Your characters also use TP, same as Vesperia and Symphonia 2. Not that this is a bad thing; for some reason, while I found this combat system slow in Symphonia 2 and the Vesperia demo (which, as I pointed out earlier, is part of why I couldn't motivate myself into getting Vesperia), it seems to pass over with me better than before. *shrug*

And I do like the OP, except now I've pinpointed what I didn't like about it; the little chorus for the last part of the OP theme. It sounds like it was sung by a chorus f little kids to me for some reason, which is a bit "bleh."
Ah, so it's pretty similar to the other two titles, huh? Well, even so, it's still getting my money (while I do like the direction Bamco's going with Tales in America now, I know that there will be absolutely no chance for this game to come here, though I can't really blame them, since the budget would have to be enormous to pay for a localization like that).

Yeah, it always bothered me that the player character and Kanonno never get together, especially when it seemed like they had something going in the first game. But it's understandable, what with the boy/girl character choice. I'm writing a fanfic with a MC x Kanonno pairing, but it's a long way from being done, and besides, fanfiction is just fanfiction.

Keep posting more about the game. I'm interested to hear how it goes and if there's any more differences.
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 18:58   Link #47
Laith
*Author

Quote:
Same system than the last two, cool with that.

Quote:
Werenīt there hints on the first RM? I donīt remember much of the second one though.

Quote:
Pretty sure they are using the Abyss battle system which is different than Vesperia/Symphonia. So there is a reaon why it feels different.

Quote:
Talking about music, does the battle music is good? The RM2 was pretty awesome (even the normal battle bgm) so I have high hopes for it.
Old 2011-02-10, 19:41   Link #48
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Talking about music, does the battle music is good? The RM2 was pretty awesome (even the normal battle bgm) so I have high hopes for it.
Agreed, the RM2 OST is, in my opinion, the best in the series.
Old 2011-02-10, 21:05   Link #49
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Pretty sure they are using the Abyss battle system which is different than Vesperia/Symphonia. So there is a reaon why it feels different.
Well I haven't played Abyss, but I own Symphonia 2 and have the Vesperia demo on my PS3, so I can tell you that the basic combat system is exactly like said 2 games. (3-hit physical combo + magic/Arte attack, guard button, free run, etc.)

Quote:
Ah yes, the battle music is indeed good. I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, but it seems from the individual character promo videos that if you change your character, the battle BGM changes to the battle BGM theme for that character's specific game.
Old 2011-02-10, 21:24   Link #50
Laith
*Author

Quote:
Well I haven't played Abyss, but I own Symphonia 2 and have the Vesperia demo on my PS3, so I can tell you that the basic combat system is exactly like said 2 games. (3-hit physical combo + magic/Arte attack, guard button, free run, etc.)
Yep, but Symphonia: DotNW had a larger battlefield, and permitted air and ground moves. Vesperia battle engine was geared to connect more artes in a combo, also a little bit of air combos. Abyss was more ground based as enemies fell faster.

Summary, little details that really change things.

Quote:
Ah yes, the battle music is indeed good. I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, but it seems from the individual character promo videos that if you change your character, the battle BGM changes to the battle BGM theme for that character's specific game.
IIRC you can only change it in the arena, if there is one. At least in the second one it was that way.
Old 2011-02-11, 00:06   Link #51
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
Yeah, it always bothered me that the player character and Kanonno never get together, especially when it seemed like they had something going in the first game. But it's understandable, what with the boy/girl character choice. I'm writing a fanfic with a MC x Kanonno pairing, but it's a long way from being done, and besides, fanfiction is just fanfiction.
You know, They should do a mix of Mass Effect and Persona, go all around doing personal 'favors' for varous Tales charaters in order to recuit them to your cause, At the same time have a daiting sim option available... If you want to go after a 'main couple' you gonna need to break them up first or something... Or even better, give the option to match make certain characters together

You know you want to
Old 2011-02-11, 00:20   Link #52
Laith
*Author

Quote:
You know, They should do a mix of Mass Effect and Persona, go all around doing personal 'favors' for varous Tales charaters in order to recuit them to your cause, At the same time have a daiting sim option available... If you want to go after a 'main couple' you gonna need to break them up first or something... Or even better, give the option to match make certain characters together
Reminds me of Lloydīs idea of a game in the lemon gummi skit.

Spoiler for Jump to 5.30 or watch it all:

Quote:
You know you want to
Would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 2011-02-11, 04:40   Link #53
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Quote:

You know you want to
That would be an instant purchase, my friend.
May your text reach producer's mind.
Old 2011-02-12, 04:49   Link #54
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Obviously it's too early for anybody to know everything about the game of course, but I thought it would be better to put these questions on the table early on:

What's the purpose of the NPCs at the bottom of the party selection list? YOu already have a huge host of characters from the Tales series, so why do you need even more guys who don't even have story relevance?

Does the Number of Battles Participated have any effect on enything for a character, like unlocking their Mystic/Blast/Whatever-they're-called-in-this-game arts?
Old 2011-02-12, 08:27   Link #55
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Obviously it's too early for anybody to know everything about the game of course, but I thought it would be better to put these questions on the table early on:

What's the purpose of the NPCs at the bottom of the party selection list? YOu already have a huge host of characters from the Tales series, so why do you need even more guys who don't even have story relevance?

Does the Number of Battles Participated have any effect on enything for a character, like unlocking their Mystic/Blast/Whatever-they're-called-in-this-game arts?
The purpose of the NPCs is that unlike the Tales characters, they level up automatically with your MC. So if you're having trouble with a mission and your Tales characters aren't a high enough level, you can use an NPC instead.

Also, the Number of Battles does nothing. Characters unlock their Mystic Arte by reaching a certain level (usually something in the 40s).
Old 2011-02-12, 14:20   Link #56
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I recall that in the first RM game, the Tales characters often refused to join your party if your current class level was far below theirs. Furthermore, enemy exp was scaled to your highest leveled character, so a large level gap made exp grinding less efficient. For such circumstances, it was helpful to get the NPCs to join you instead so you could still have a full party without running into these complications.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 16:26   Link #57
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
I recall that in the first RM game, the Tales characters often refused to join your party if your current class level was far below theirs. Furthermore, enemy exp was scaled to your highest leveled character, so a large level gap made exp grinding less efficient. For such circumstances, it was helpful to get the NPCs to join you instead so you could still have a full party without running into these complications.
True, but they eliminated the whole "refusal system" thing in RM2, so part of it's not quite as useful anymore. I find it more useful just to pick a party of Tales characters and just level them up as if they were part of your party. For example, in RM2, I would almost always use a party consisting of the MC, Kanonno, Keel, and Estelle, so that they'd roughly be around the same level.
Old 2011-03-05, 02:31   Link #58
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Urgh, I hate how game guides have been slow to pop up on Gamefaqs lately. (Graces f still has yet to get a FAQ on Gamefaqs)

I'm totally stuck; I'm on the storyline quest where you go to the Brownie mines (however they want to spell the name in english) with Shiina and Kyle. (the previous story quest was the ancient city) I have no idea where to go for this quest in the mines; the only place I can think of is a door that's blocked with a door that has a sign nearby that says something along the lines of to "check the surrounding area carefully. Except I checked the area carefully,a nd have no idea how to open the door. This is the only area I can think of that I could go to for the quest; all other doors and warp points are opened by what I would bet are a fire ring or something. (candle lamps nearby)
Old 2011-11-12, 11:39   Link #59
Angelight95

Shinji..... You juz find a lever to open the door. You know those lights at the walls? Try them near the door. That should open the door. But a word of warning when you are at the 7th area, you will expect some "falls".
Anyway, can someone help me with the main quest? After er.... I think after the treasure hunt and Mao. I can't seems to open one of the bridges that lead to Natia.
I found the first switch but it only open on top-right bridge...
Angelight95 is offline   Reply With Quote