Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-05, 15:39   Link #1
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Chess.

Do you play?

How long have you been playing?

Do you count yourself as a master or a novice?

Do you feel like a "Geek" playing Chess?

Ok the reason why ask all this is because when I was in high school I was in the Chess club/team (we had competitions) But also I played for the football team and was quite popular in school so I never received any hostility but I noticed a few of my Chess team members did. (In a big way)
I stepped in a couple of times but most of the time I just let it go.

Anyway this has all come about because I hadn’t played Chess in quite some time, but a friend of mine came to my house the other day with a plastic Chess set saying his Nan had taught him how to play and that he would teach me (I was like LOL!)

Anyway I beat him in like 9 moves and again in 6 moves.

Then all I got from him was...OMG YOU ARE A GEEK! YOU NERD! And shit like that. (Ass hole!)

Anyway, after that experience I want to start playing again. Maybe online even?

Edit: Also how was you introduced to the game Chess?

Me It was my Dad who was at the time a leet player. Or so I thought lol, he taught me the basics and got me interested but once I started to take it seriously (Which I did at one point) he ended up a mere 5min wonder.

My head Teacher at high school though was a different story I never beat him once! >.<
And He wasn' even affiliated to the Chess club.

Discuss.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Last edited by Shay; 2004-12-05 at 17:16.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 16:01   Link #2
Babak

Ah. Chess. I used to spend a lot of time with it. It's fun, once you play against someone who is just as good as you.

And I don't think chess can count as a "geek" game. Heh, I even feel smarter when I play it.
Now, my question is; Does anyone else beside me know about the hidden way of beating your opponent in 3 moves?

Babak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 16:03   Link #3
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babak
Ah. Chess. I used to spend a lot of time with it. It's fun, once you play against someone who is just as good as you.

And I don't think chess can count as a "geek" game. Heh, I even feel smarter when I play it.
Now, my question is; Does anyone else beside me know about the hidden way of beating your opponent in 3 moves?

move 1: move pawn(any) up 1 space
move 2: move another pawn up 1 space
move 3: tell him there is a dancing panda and when he looks, take his king

Ya, i used to play chess, but I found it boring so I stopped. I am A novice.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 16:18   Link #4
AzureLight
I've Sound Freak

Send a message via ICQ to AzureLight Send a message via AIM to AzureLight Send a message via Yahoo to AzureLight
Ah, chess. Lovely game, haven't played it in years, though...
AzureLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 16:23   Link #5
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I play it every once and a while and I don't really have a problem with anyone playing it if that's the type of thing they're into. Sports have always been more fun for me, though.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 16:24   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I used to play chess everyday. I was unbeatable for a while, but then I stopped playing. After that I wasn't even able to predict the opponents next move, let alone read ahead like I was able to do before. The same thing happened to me with go actually.
Anyway back to chess, I hated playing online. I could never play comfortabily, even when I was good.
As for the win in 3 moves thing, doesn't it require a stupid opponent who moves the king's bishop pawn and king's knight pawn? Who would do that unless they were trying to lose?
edit: read back what I wrote and noticed I put queen when I meant king.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2004-12-05 at 16:57.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 16:37   Link #7
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babak

If I remember correctly this move is 101 for Chess and like Kamui4356 say's it only works with the most mediocre of Chess players (Beginners)

And it's pawn, Queen, Bishop, game over. But again this is like one of the first things you learn playing Chess, and if your opponent has a brain it never works. >.<

But even though I hadn’t played in such a long time, I was amazed at the moves I did remember, making him fall into traps and playing with him (Mentally rubbing my hands together as I was about to take his queen) brought it all back to me. Such a fun game.

About online playing I have never tried it but I could see it being mentally/physically different than actual live action. Looking in your opponents eyes, stroking your queens head, ah lol I am definitely gonna start playing again.

Last edited by Shay; 2004-12-05 at 19:23. Reason: Because he damned T key only works when it feels like it!
Old 2004-12-05, 18:01   Link #8
HoboGod
Necromancer

yea, i play chess alot. I learned the game when I was 4 years old, so i've been playing for 15 years now. I am probably pretty geeky about it, but then again, it might be because i'm overly competitive in everything i do. ^_^

As for my skill level.... I wouldn't consider myself a novice. I have but few equals when I play on a real board against real people (even fewer against people my age). But nor would i consider myself a master, I can't really win many games against computer opponents or opponents online... it just doesn't feel right on the computer and i end up making alot of mistakes.

As for the 3 move checkmate. I self-taught myself that when i was 12 and stopped using it when i was 13, it is FAR too easy to block and it leaves your queen in a very dangerous situation. As Shay said, it isn't something you want to use unless you think your opponent is a newbie. Of course, it is always fun to just dazzle a newcomer with a quick win.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 18:35   Link #9
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

didn't play chess in five years.It was in the family.
I remember this method,i think in french we call it "le coup du berger".I remember because some idiot ask me if I knew this method,and I answered:no.Of course 10 sec later he did it.I am still angry about it.
Old 2004-12-05, 18:35   Link #10
ramune

Hehe I'm a complete newbie to chess so can anyone explain that 3 moves and how to prevent it?
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 18:52   Link #11
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
hahaha i love that quick kill. i dont know many ppl who play in real life, but i've beaten everyone i know who play chess. as for online, it is very different......but i dont know why >__<.

as for skill lvl....not a novice nor a master.....and i only play for fun but i still do whetever it takes to win ^___^

i was taught how to play chess when i was little and i was taught that quick kill then. i dont play much, but i play once in a while, its like the last resort to kill boredem
aFlipGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 19:18   Link #12
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae
didn't play chess in five years.It was in the family.
I remember this method,i think in french we call it "le coup du berger".I remember because some idiot ask me if I knew this method,and I answered:no.Of course 10 sec later he did it.I am still angry about it.
Really it is a lame move, and only works with ultimate noobs.

But without actually showing it's hard to explain but I’ll try.

Move the pawn guarding your king forward. Then move your queen three spaces diagonally. Then move your Bishop five places. Then just plunge your Queen Smack bang right in front of your opponents king. Check mate!

And that’s only if your foe is moving the right (Or should I say wrong) pieces.

Hmmm, re-reading this post I have just realised that kill is four moves.

Would someone care to ellaborate on this 3 move kill plz?
Old 2004-12-05, 19:21   Link #13
GyroidFanatic

My mom taught me chess when I was a quite young. I was always suprised how many people didn't know how to play.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 20:20   Link #14
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
Move the pawn guarding your king forward. Then move your queen three spaces diagonally. Then move your Bishop five places. Then just plunge your Queen Smack bang right in front of your opponents king. Check mate!

And that’s only if your foe is moving the right (Or should I say wrong) pieces.

Hmmm, re-reading this post I have just realised that kill is four moves.

Would someone care to ellaborate on this 3 move kill plz?
As I said before, to win in 3 moves, you have to take advantage of your opponent's stupidity.
move one:
w- kings pawn to king 3
b- king's bishop pawn to k-b 5

move two:
w- doesn't matter as long as you don't block the queen's path to king's rook 5.
b- king's knight pawn to k-k 5
move three:
w- queen to king's rook 5 :checkmate
check it for yourself
Old 2004-12-05, 20:36   Link #15
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
As I said before, to win in 3 moves, you have to take advantage of your opponent's stupidity.
move one:
w- kings pawn to king 3

move two:
move three:
check it for yourself
Ahh, right! Wow that would have to take more of a biginner than my 4 move kill.
Old 2004-12-05, 21:01   Link #16
Mcdonalds

omg chess, i used to play this loads with my brother and play it Very Very ocassionally (like once a year). I'm not brilliant but not bad either. I used to love this game and like someone else said, makes me feel clever . Even learnt how to play all those other variants like crazyhouse which is quite fun. I prefer playing chinese chess though if ANYONE here knows how to play it. Its a lot more fun i find than english chess and its more tactical i think.
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 21:16   Link #17
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
move one:
w- kings pawn to king 3

move two:
move three:
check it for yourself
That is indeed the fastest checkmate possible, and if you play black, it's a checkmate in two moves This combo has an official name : Fool's Checkmate (not a j/k)
The mate in 4 is a classic beat-up-the-newbie thing However varaints of it can really work even later in the game.

As you guessed by now, yes I play Chess, been playing it since I could walk, so that gives me some 20 + years experience. I started playing since my grandfather and father both played alot, beating them was impossible. In high schoo; I joined the chess club for a while but I was chess champion pretty fast (not that the level of the club was high). During university I played quite a bit too, but other srategy games took over. The last couple of years I played only now and then becuase I'm lacking opponents. I have 3 chessboards on my appartment

My current level of chess : very very BAD, if you don't play it regularly you forget it all ....
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 21:46   Link #18
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdonalds
I prefer playing chinese chess though if ANYONE here knows how to play it. Its a lot more fun i find than english chess and its more tactical i think.
Chinese chess rules! but I'm still not very good at it...
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 22:11   Link #19
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
I've been playing since I was about five or so, it was one of the first games I ever learnt to play. I don't get to play much lately because relatively few people I know are able or interested in playing, although I've never become that good a player myself anyway.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 22:25   Link #20
SlugZilla
woofles

I don't play Chess, but I used to play Shogi. It's almost identical to Chess except you can resummon your enemy's fallen pieces to do your bidding.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote