Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-27, 01:49   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Current Season Winners and Loosers

Well, I figured we're far enough into the Winter season to start posting which series of the Winter run are best/worst. Now they don't have to be rated 1-10 or anything like that, but which ones have you seen that you really did really good and which ones are bad. Here's my pics.

Winners:
1. Maria-sama ga Miteru (cute. I'm kinda enjoying this. Not sure why, but I like it.)
2. ChouJyuuShin_Gravion_Zwei (Cool anime. Still hasn't found a reason to make me dislike it, so it's on the like list for now)
3. Comic Party Revolution (funny)
4. Diamond Dust Drops (decent love story so far)
5. Mezzo DSA (funny and weird)
6. Uninhabited Planet Survive (aka UPS) (Gotta love this one. Not too much of any one thing, but plenty of humor.)
7. Gokusen (Gah, I blusted my gut laughing!!)

Loosers:
1. Chono Crusade (don't flame me, but I lost interest around ep 4)
2. Cosmopolitan Prayers (How recycled can you get?)
3. Daphne in the Brillian Blue (this one doesn't even need a reason. Major uncreative)
4. Yumeria (forgot this one from before. Yuck, recycled)

I know there's more I've seen from this season that's really good and few that aren't. Now obviously this isn't a complete list, but more of a list of the ones that stick out in my mind the most. There's still 3 more weeks of new series starts coming, so my list may end up growing longer before all is said and done. Overall, what series of the Winter lineup do you guys think did good, or failed miserably?

EDIT: Fixed a few glitches, added explainations.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-01-27 at 08:16.
Old 2004-01-27, 01:55   Link #2
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Don't forget to explain your choice of winners and loosers. Posts without explanation will be simply deleted.
Old 2004-01-27, 01:58   Link #3
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
i pretty much agree with your choices

i like chrno crusade up to about ep 4 too
right now, the eps have that kind of 'recycled' feel to them
Old 2004-01-27, 02:59   Link #4
Loki_Sama
I do as I please... ¬_¬

Send a message via MSN to Loki_Sama
Well i really dont care, since that is just your humble opinion on what for you was the BEST and the WORST ^_^

GO CHRNO!!!
Old 2004-01-27, 03:09   Link #5
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Winners:
1. Area 88
2. ChouJyuuShin_Gravion_Zwei
3. Comic Party Revolution
4. Diamond Dust Drops
5. Mezzo DSA
6. Uninhabited Planet Survive (aka UPS)
7. Gokusen

Loosers:
2. Cosmopolitan Prayers
3. Daphne in the Brillian Blue
Area 88 looks promising. Kind of a differant story and seems well told based on the first episode.

Haven't seen Gravion so I'm skipping Zwei.

Comipa Revolution is fantastic. I have watched it a bunch of times already. My favorite of the season. Too bad it's only supposed to be 2 eps.

Diamond looks ok. I need to see some more eps before I can say I like it.

Mezzo I didn't like. The action is pretty cool but I couldn't put up with the supernatural stories. Ghosts and aliens and such...meh.

UPS is great, too. I love that one. Such a fun show. Second favorite of the season.

Gokusen has potential. It's pretty funny but the talking dog is a problem.

I am also following Yumeria so far. Jury is still out on that one, though.

I think Daphne looks promising, too. Need another couple eps on that one.
Old 2004-01-27, 03:18   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Losers:
  • ChouJyuuShin_Gravion_Zwei - more Gravion. 'nuff said.
  • Diamond Dust Drops - It should be illegal to be this boring
  • Mezzo DSA - Tacky and pointless
  • Chono Crusade - I think it has already been said
  • Daphne in the Brillian Blue - It's all about the fanservice. There seems to be a hint of a real show buried in there, but they haven't let it out. I have some real hope that it well get better.
  • Cosmopolitan Prayers - They used up all of their creative energies coming up with a cute and witty name. After that there wasn't anything left so they just put together a show so typical that it is amazing that they can make even 8 episodes of this pap.
  • Yumeria - Mone Mone.
Winners:
  • Gokusen - Interesting characters and brilliantly written. Great sense of humor. And just for the record it is nothing like GTO.
  • Maria-sama ga Miteru - There's a lot going on in this show and it just keeps getting more complicated.
Quite frankly that isn't a great hit:miss ratio.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-01-27, 03:22   Link #7
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Well, I figured we're far enough into the Winter season to start posting which series of the Winter run are best/worst. Now they don't have to be rated 1-10 or anything like that, but which ones have you seen that you really did really good and which ones are bad. Here's my pics.

Winners:
1. Area 88
2. ChouJyuuShin_Gravion_Zwei
3. Comic Party Revolution
4. Diamond Dust Drops
5. Mezzo DSA
6. Uninhabited Planet Survive (aka UPS)
7. Gokusen

Loosers:
2. Cosmopolitan Prayers
3. Daphne in the Brillian Blue

I know there's more I've seen from this season that's really good and few that aren't. Now obviously this isn't a complete list, but more of a list of the ones that stick out in my mind the most. There's still 3 more weeks of new series starts coming, so my list may end up growing longer before all is said and done. Overall, what series of the Winter lineup do you guys think did good, or failed miserably?
I agree with you on those series except Chrno Crusade & Daphne in the Brilliant Blue. Daphne does have a lot of potential to be something later on in the future, lets just give it an chance. As with Chrno Crusade I just like it, not too much fan service, cool demons, not much of a story there though, but I'm thinking they're really moving to fast with the anime and skipping and changing a lot of important stuff the manga has. From what I heard the manga is a lot deeper. Please don't let this anime be an 13 episoder. <Prays>

Also, Isn't Area 88 a old series. I remember watching it in the 80's, and your missing Maria-sama ga Miteru, and Yumeria.
Old 2004-01-27, 03:31   Link #8
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Well, I figured we're far enough into the Winter season to start posting which series of the Winter run are best/worst.
Can't agree that all shows are far enough along, but I found 2 I really like:

-Must-see:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (deep story & characters, excellent production)
Gokusen (funny concept, decent production)
-watching, too early to tell:
Diamond Dust Drops (uneven look, OK story)
-dislike, likely to stop watching:
Mezzo DSA (idea mediocre, too shrill and shallow)
Cosmopolitan Prayers (vague ripoff of Asagiri no Miko? dopey title!)
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (recycled idea; harsh and silly)
Comic Party Revolution (pointless)

I am also watching Massugu ni Ikou!, but that came out last year and is only now being subbed. I like it a lot though; it has a fresh look to it.

It's nice to see decent shoujo and josei titles this season (my top two picks + Massugu ni Ikou!; 2 is a lot for a season).

I think UPS is kind of an older series by now, not that I don't like it.
Old 2004-01-27, 05:12   Link #9
Lambda

It's not a terribly good season really, the only one that I'm really liking is Maria-sama ga Miteru, and even there it's a large part due to curiosity about the genre, it does have excellent characterisation (as far as we can tell so far) which I'm very fond of, but if I were used to that kind of setting I'm not sure that would be enough, I can be pretty demanding about that sort of thing. There should be more serious shoujo though, generally.

I'm still intending to watch the next episode of Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, because the first episode did really interest me, but the second seems to indicate that it's going to fall into some not terribly brilliant routine, so I don't have too much optimism there. And I haven't actually tried Gokusen yet, I'll have to check that out. But otherwise, there's nothing that interests me.

Ah well, ROD TV, GSG and UPS are all still running.
Old 2004-01-27, 08:18   Link #10
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Also, Isn't Area 88 a old series. I remember watching it in the 80's, and your missing Maria-sama ga Miteru, and Yumeria.
Ok, corrected my original post with said suggestions. And you're right, Area 88 wasn't a new season item. My bad.
Old 2004-01-27, 08:47   Link #11
KuroiWolfie

Send a message via AIM to KuroiWolfie
Quote:
Ok, corrected my original post with said suggestions. And you're right, Area 88 wasn't a new season item. My bad.
There was an Area 88 OAV long time ago, but the new one is a remake so it is a new season show.
Old 2004-01-27, 08:51   Link #12
u&t

For some reason I really like Yumeria so far. It has lots of things I dont like such as recycled characters and bad fanservice and seems to lack the things I do like (where is the story?).

The creators seems to know that the whole show is just stupid though so in the end it works for me. I'm dissapointed in the "dramatic" aspects of Maburaho and this show doesn't seem to have any such aspirations so far.
Old 2004-01-27, 10:54   Link #13
MwyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiWolfie
There was an Area 88 OAV long time ago, but the new one is a remake so it is a new season show.
same story too, afaik
and so far, i love it as an airplane buff
Old 2004-01-27, 18:38   Link #14
Thelastguardian

there are no 'symbol' anime serie playing right now in the season :| Not a terriblly exciting season I afraid.

The biggest let down for me is Chrno Cusade, I am sure many of you feel the same way. Perhaps the story will get better late, but not as the state it is in right now.
Old 2004-01-27, 19:08   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I don't see why everyone's being so hard on Yumeria. Sure it isn't that great, but it is funny and may possibly have some potential later on...though ep 3 pretty much killed that chance...
Anyway for winners this season, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist and any other series carried over from a previous season. The mediocre selection of new anime means these series will get more attention. (as if Naruto needed more attention )
For losers, all the new anime. None of them stand out. Even the best seem only average. Maybe it's just because there were so many good series last season...
Old 2004-01-27, 21:22   Link #16
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Comipa Revolution is fantastic. I have watched it a bunch of times already. My favorite of the season. Too bad it's only supposed to be 2 eps.
I've done the same thing, no matter how many times I've seen it, it always makes me laugh out loud. Only two episodes though--aaarrrgghhh.

Other than Comic Party Revolution, it's been a disappointing season for me--Yumeria has some funny moments (the "thumbs-up" in ep1 and the insane teacher), Chrno Crusade has me hooked just to see what happens, and Mama wa Shougaku Yonnen-sei looks like it could be good (but that's not a new show). No other new shows really interested me...I hope spring is better...
Old 2004-01-27, 22:53   Link #17
Mb81

Here is my voting (and i say before; don`t hate me *g*):

Winners:
1.) Chrno Crusade
Nice design, qualtity and interesting story.

2.) Gokusen
Reminds me of a female GTO *_*

3.) Monkey Turn
I love the intro *g*; but nothing really special on the series..

Unsure:
1.) Daphne in the Brillian Blue
Looks fine, but no real story yet...

Losers:
1.) Maria-sama ga Miteru (extreme boring..)
2.) Area 88
3.) Comic Party Revolution
4.) Mezzo DSA
5.) Yumeria

(all not worth to mention..)

Haven`t see yet:
1.) Cosmopolitan Prayers
2.) ChouJyuuShin_Gravion_Zwei (Season 1 was crap..)
3.) Uninhabited Planet Survive (aka UPS)
4.) Diamond Dust Drops
Old 2004-01-27, 23:03   Link #18
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Speaking of new series, has anyone heard on whatever happened to "Black Jack"?? It seems like that series was supposed to be released just before the end of the year, and yet it appears to have gone Awol. I was really looking forward to seeing that series.
Old 2004-01-28, 01:05   Link #19
MwyC

and GITS 2nd gig
i wonder why it isnt subbed yet
i have seen the first 2 eps raw and could only understand a bit of it
argh
i love this series..hopefully someone will sub it
Old 2004-01-28, 01:33   Link #20
Go-lytely

I happen to like Yumeria. Yes, it has every cliche in the book for harem animes but it still makes me laugh. So far, I havent found any of the characters annoying. Usually there is one I hate. noda
Closed Thread