AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass R2 Series Rating
Perfect 10 365 44.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 199 24.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 92 11.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 76 9.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 31 3.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 20 2.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 0.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 1.72%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-27, 12:18   Link #1021
Lord_Bear
*Author

He's actually planning a world tour with his band "Zero and the Black Knights" for next year.
Lord_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 11:12   Link #1022
zalem

Hmmmm.....seems CG R2 made it on the list for the Anime Choice 2008 poll. Now whether it deserves to be there is another story. Though I have to say I did vote for it for mecha just because there were certain failings in MFs ending and its resolution of certain plot points that knocked it down for me. Gundam 00 isn't finished, so I'm loath to vote for it. Meh, I still say for all R2's problems it was still fun to watch. It was worth watching for Lelouch alone. Of course, if you hated Lelouch's guts then I'm sure you probably didn't enjoy R2 that much...
Old 2009-01-29, 11:25   Link #1023
Miraploy

This is, without a doubt, the best show ever.
Miraploy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 20:07   Link #1024
Psychopathic Otaku
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Psychopathic Otaku
This is truly a great anime. This is one of those Anime that only come around once a decade. It is one of very few Anime that I have cried while watching, and gotten up and cheered... And sat there watching it breaking into a evil laugh when Lulu wins a battle or outsmarts ppl, as he does many times XD I give it a 10/10 easy.
Psychopathic Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 23:44   Link #1025
EternalNeptune

I found the series ok. There wer just a few things i didnt quite like. 9/10
EternalNeptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 05:48   Link #1026
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Too much inconsistencies in the scrip. Almost all the characters switch abruptly side with no clear explanation on why they do that. Repetitively. Sub-plots are rushed (Chinese and Charles/Marianne arcs). Lelouch is incoherent through the whole show, ending doing and being what he hated in the beginning... or just a couple of episodes before. Animation is very good, but the constant overpowering of the mecha as a trick to solve every fights it's in the end a bit boring. Musics are ok but the openings are a pain.
Overall, I'm totally unimpressed and disappointed with this second series, that fails to carry on the good qualities of the first one, while enhancing its flaws.
Promises were high, but results did not meet expectations. Mine, at least. I give it a 5/10.
Atlantis_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 13:17   Link #1027
Dream_Traveller
Banned

"Boring trick" when, oh, Geass is half a mecha anime?

'Kay.
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 13:38   Link #1028
mard80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post

In short, he's a fu***** rockstar. That's why he is so popular. =P
I totall agree! The character was what made this anime from a good anime to "actually making a robot like me cry" anime!! Perfect 10 for me.
mard80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 14:30   Link #1029
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
Too much inconsistencies in the scrip. Almost all the characters switch abruptly side with no clear explanation on why they do that. Repetitively. Sub-plots are rushed (Chinese and Charles/Marianne arcs). Lelouch is incoherent through the whole show, ending doing and being what he hated in the beginning... or just a couple of episodes before. Animation is very good, but the constant overpowering of the mecha as a trick to solve every fights it's in the end a bit boring. Musics are ok but the openings are a pain.
Overall, I'm totally unimpressed and disappointed with this second series, that fails to carry on the good qualities of the first one, while enhancing its flaws.
Promises were high, but results did not meet expectations. Mine, at least. I give it a 5/10.
Actually, there's a TON of explanation. Did you even watch the whole series or just the first and last episodes?

The usage of mecha as plot devices are only used as such in the first half of the series, and that's mostly due to Suzaku's haxxor abilities and the fact that the Black Knights are playing technology catch-up for most of the first arc (up until the Chinese Federation arc). After that, it's mostly due to individuals' skill versus technology.

In fact, most fights are resolved with Lelouch using the environment to his advantage to destroy the enemy, if you were paying any attention at all.

And the openings were quite good. WORLD END is probably one of the best openings I've ever heard for any anime. It's the endings that weren't so hot.

Again, you should really explain what "good qualities" and "flaws" you're talking about if you want us to buy the bullshit you're spouting in your so-called "review". I understand that every anime has flaws somewhere, but you FAIL TO MENTION EVEN ONE in the context of comparing the first with the second season.

Seriously, put more than two minutes of thought into your post, and you need to actually have seen the series in order to make a judgment, because from your comments, you obviously couldn't have watch more than half a dozen episodes, out of order and with bad subtitles/translations.
Old 2009-02-21, 14:35   Link #1030
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
"Boring trick" when, oh, Geass is half a mecha anime?

'Kay.

No. Because almost every fights is solved when one of the mecha (usually the Guren or the Lancelot) show up after a considerably restyling and upgrading, almost if they were Super Sayan! First time it's cool, the tenth time is predictable.
Old 2009-02-21, 14:40   Link #1031
Dream_Traveller
Banned

What do you expect? Kallen and Suzaku were main characters and main pilots. Of course fights wouldn't be decided by secondaries.
Old 2009-02-21, 14:43   Link #1032
Grey Dawn
zzzzzzzz

Thing is, it wasn't just them. In r2, debuting mecha won. Guren Kashoushiki, Shen Hu, Shinkirou, Guren Seiten, and Lancelot Albion. They all won their first battle, regardless of, well, anything. Lancelot Conquista is the only one that didn't autowin, if you exclude it frying the Guren MkII.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 14:47   Link #1033
Dream_Traveller
Banned

Well, the Shen Hu, I'll let slide, but the Shinkirou barely did anything in its first battle. It didn't really 'win' anything- it blocked a barrage of artillery fire and blew up about four/five Gun Rus.
Old 2009-02-21, 14:57   Link #1034
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Actually, there's a TON of explanation. Did you even watch the whole series or just the first and last episodes?
All the first 2 series and, believe me, the second one was a real pain to watch. In my opinion of course.

Good qualities? The animation and dialogs are good, but they are ruined by the painful script. Hey, almost all the characters are ruined by the bad script. In here lies the flaw. The script required that almost all the characters, at a certain point or another, started to act weird in order to make the story progress, even if that meant to do or say things they had never said before. And they were not geassed. People like Jeremiah, Nunnally, Nina, Schneizel...

But again, this is only my opinion, good for you if you have liked it.
Old 2009-02-21, 15:12   Link #1035
Nosauz

Eh i'm gonna disagree on World's End because I thought for the direction of the second half of the season the song didn't fit as well as flows first song for the series Colors, plus I felt colors had a catchy and really awesome chorus. If you look at ops, they usually tell you how an anime will progress, this is quite prevalent in a show like FMA, where we can actually piece together information about the show just from watching the ops. I feel that having a great op to match the story is one of the best ways to make an anime memorable.

The mecha portion in S1 was amazing, specifically it was different from gundam, no flying bullshit, the interplay between the mechs was more tacital, where as flying mecha are great and all but the designs of s2 really mirrored those of the Gundam universe. Other than non unique mech designs in r2, from a technical stand point r2 was awesome

The main problem I had with the story was that r2 lacks a lot of rewatchablitliy, this is because those once shocking plot twists are really not that shocking on a second watch through. Good story telling isn't created by plot twist after another, I just felt that R2 got into this notion that the only way to progress plot was to make a plot twist which isn't the best sense in writing. Some parts were great but the whole mechanism of development could have been worked out better.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the series, especially the high production values, character designs, and overall story was satisfying, its just that I judge how good an anime on its rewatch value too, so in r1 i've rewatched that many a times but with r2 I just don't feel the need to revisit every episode, though I have watched a couple of the episodes again r2 compared to r1 just lacks a little something.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 16:25   Link #1036
Charred Knight

Quote:
What do you expect? Kallen and Suzaku were main characters and main pilots. Of course fights wouldn't be decided by secondaries.
They could at least do something, I mean Todoh basically stood around for the entire second season (except for the China arc which bnarring the ball was excellent) even though he should have been second in command. Lelouch and Kallen are the sole reason for the Black Knights sucess, and Okouchi and Taniguchi want me to pretend that Ougi and that one girl actually accomplished something.

All Ougi managed to do was sell out the world to Schneizel.

All you need to know about R2 is the fact that in one scene Lelouch dramatically moves his King NEAR THE END OF THE GAME! It works in the first episode because that was Lelouch's first play since that old man was playing for him up until that time. Schneizel and Lelouch where playing the entire time.

It tries to copy what made the first season great but fails everytime.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 16:28   Link #1037
Dream_Traveller
Banned

Never mind that Schneizel eventually became a slave, of course...

And Todoh was a secondary. Therefore, unimportant. And we didn't need to devote episodes to the whole command structure of the Knights.

And yes, one girl and a genius of a planner were responsible for the success of the BKs.
Old 2009-02-21, 16:31   Link #1038
BusterSword
Outcast

This was a really good anime, the ending was so sad too the songs that came up made it even sadder >.<
BusterSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 16:40   Link #1039
Charred Knight

Quote:
Never mind that Schneizel eventually became a slave, of course...

And Todoh was a secondary. Therefore, unimportant. And we didn't need to devote episodes to the whole command structure of the Knights.

And yes, one girl and a genius of a planner were responsible for the success of the BKs.
What about Schneizel, I mentioned him once to illustrate a badly written scene that was trying to copy a well done scene from the first season and failing.

As for devoting more time to Todoh

Its better than devoting episodes to making giant pizzas or the entire school trying to capture Lelouch. Considering the ending Okouchi and Taniguchi needed to show that the cast could live on without Lelouch, at no point in time did they show that.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 16:56   Link #1040
Dream_Traveller
Banned

...And showing the command structure of the Black Knights is perfectly analogous to the cast living on without Lelouch, which the ending showed. Mmhm.