AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 96 67.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 23.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 5.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-09, 07:11   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Fate/Zero - Episode 23 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fate/Zero, Episode 23.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Addendum regarding Fate/Zero:
Please remember that, although Fate/Zero is chronologically the prequel of Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, this series might be discovered by those who did not watch the previous series or read the Visual Novel.
Therefore, although events are likely to be connected with the story regarding the 5th Holy Grail War, please do not post any F/SN spoiler in any F/Z thread.

Enforced rules:
Failing to abide to spoiler guidelines will now lead to a 1 day ban along with the appropriate warning/infraction.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 10:53   Link #2
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

oh man was the build up worth it, both excellent fights. The emotion in each fight was so greatly felt and that is just another of the many things Fate/Zero has done so well.

Damn I love Gilgamesh's sword. The imagery that took place during his attack with it was truly breathtaking.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 10:57   Link #3
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
We all have been waiting for this. Rider's last stand and Berserker's identity.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:04   Link #4
Aesthetic Shampoo

Imagined it differently in my head while reading..BUT OMG THAT WAS SO PERFECT.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 11:05   Link #5
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Ufotable really managed to pull the "Sword of Rupture" without resorting to a cheesy "energy blast". I must say that while the initial impact was sort of "weak" at first, the magnitude of Ea's powers was definitely overwhelming. I also liked Ea's deployment, from a single fragment that opens to a literal "web" of possibilities.

Also, I definitely nod at their decision to displace Gil's comment about Enkindu before (which made some people worried, not without right reason), as it suits the timing much better here. Particularly satisfied they manage to keep the core of Gil and Iskandar dynamics, and again this episode really gives much more subtle details and points for Gil, compared to other format.

Meanwhile, I was a bit puzzled why a group of frame animation was duplicated in Saber/Berserker fight, but well, they basically kept the whole deal with Berserker being atrociously pesky with his versatile arsenal.
Props again for Ufotable and Kawasumi for Saber -despair- which was definitely tangible here. I'm particularly looking forward the denouement of this battle next week, along with badass showtime between Kiritsugu and Kirei.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:05   Link #6
ChronoReverse

Gilgamesh's sword in the Zero anime looks so much more badass than in the other formats. I also liked the lack of energy blast but retaining the "air pressure part". The tearing of the world instead of just blowing away the soldier really brings across the point the this is no ordinary noble phantasm.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 11:14   Link #7
zRyuu

Alexander III of Macedon (20/21 July 356 – 10/11 June 323 BC). Alexander died in Babylon.
zRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 11:15   Link #8
Kaiba

All of my tears. All of them.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 11:15   Link #9
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by zRyuu View Post
Alexander III of Macedon (20/21 July 356 – 10/11 June 323 BC). Alexander died in Babylon.
The real Alexander wishes he died like he did in this episode.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:16   Link #10
DakkerDB

My, oh my... that was so beautiful to watch.

Archer vs Rider was certainly quite the treat, starting with all the dialogue. The fight itself was fascinating to watch, with our dear Goldie not moving from the one spot. Utter dominance. That's what happens when the King of Heroes decides to fight seriously.
Really love the aftermath with Waver. He bravely stood his ground as the most terrifying monster came to him. The whole situation, that Gilgamesh would even speak with someone like Waver shows he really had a lot of respect for Iskandar.

As for Saber vs Berserker. You could feel the despair oozing out of poor Saber. No doubt this revelation, and the subsequent fight, will place her in a really strained position. Can't wait to see how this plays out as the finale draws ever closer.

Edit: Did anyone else also notice that the events in this episode seemed to take place over only about 13 minutes? The previous episode ended at -04:08 while this one ended at -03:55.

Last edited by DakkerDB; 2012-06-09 at 11:28.
DakkerDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 11:37   Link #11
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
I have had but one comrade, and he is all I shall ever have.
Tears were shed at this line.

Ea was glorious in being brought out by Gilgamesh. Just damn..
Ionian Hetairoi's destruction was incredible. Rider's final charge was also another breathtaking moment.

Hooray Lancelot revealed! Now Arturia can be in delicious despair against one of her own knights! On another note, it was short but using those guns was awesome as expected.

Either way by the end of this episode, I think I was in a state similar to Waver...
Ridaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 12:02   Link #12
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Kariya in delusional pathetic state

Lancelot in his madness

Arturia with her delicious tears of despair and sorrow

Rider in all his GAR

Gil and EA in all their Glory

Perfect.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:07   Link #13
Broskander

This episode is perfect. Ea was phenomenal. The devastating power was overwhelming and beautiful. Serious business Archer was a threat and he became much more likeable in this episode. Really enjoy the respect both kings showed for each other. Broskander was his usual godlike self....Saber's despair upon learning Berserker's identity was palpable. And we are left with Kiritsugu finally facing Kirei.

This is my favorite anime.Ever. Ufotable has to really really **** things up in order for me to change my mind.
Broskander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 12:12   Link #14
whatbob1
huh

I was hoping for some giant DBZ laser beam from Ea, but UFOtable's method works ok too.

It seems they're trying to cram everything in next episode and have episode 25 as epilogue. Probably means they'll cut out a lot of Lancelot's past, cut out a lot of Kiritsugu vs Kirei, etc.
whatbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 12:15   Link #15
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatbob1 View Post
I was hoping for some giant DBZ laser beam from Ea, but UFOtable's method works ok too.

It seems they're trying to cram everything in next episode and have episode 25 as epilogue. Probably means they'll cut out a lot of Lancelot's past, cut out a lot of Kiritsugu vs Kirei, etc.
10 min for Arturia and Lancelot
10 min for Kiri and Kirei

that is plenty of time and there is also the option of extending it out in the BR release.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:24   Link #16
Bern-san

Excellent. Really sorry to say goodbye to Rider. One of the best Fate characters.
Loved the mention of Enkidu by Gilga and the how he left Waver alive.
All in all, Gil was awesome.

Both Berseker-Saber and Sakura-Kariya scenes were painful to watch. Lancelot looked a little bit like Caster with those separated eyes

Now can't wait for Kirei and Kiritsugu
Old 2012-06-09, 12:26   Link #17
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkerDB View Post
Really love the aftermath with Waver. He bravely stood his ground as the most terrifying monster came to him. The whole situation, that Gilgamesh would even speak with someone like Waver shows he really had a lot of respect for Iskandar.
Gil's respect went even farther than that:
-The drink before the fight
-Not "punishing" Iskandar on the spot for his suggestion
-"hinting" some comparison with Enkidu, his only true friend (implying Iskandar could potentially be his friend if it wasn't for Enkidu)
-Deployment of Ea
-Unleashing that many NP (despite he wouldn't even do that for such threat like Caster monster, and did that against Berserker out of wrath or enjoyment)
-Deployment of Enkidu (his most precious NP, even more than Ea), and the death blow with Ea, his greatest weapon.
-kept calling him "征服王" (King of Conquest) to the very end, with a very subtle "そなた" (for "you") instead of something more rude like "お前" ("omae", used at the start of battle) or "貴様" ("kisama").

Factoring as well his promise about the world etc, you can guess Iskandar is probably one of the only few that Gil ever considered as "worthy".
Old 2012-06-09, 12:36   Link #18
ookamigirl

Gilgamesh vs Rider.
Saber vs Beserker.
OMG! Berserker's identity finally got revealed!
Never had a clue who it could be, but it sure turned out interesting.
Waver & Rider final farewell was touching.
Rider's attack gave me goosebumps... what a shame..
Lots of fighting going on this time, great episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 12:58   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Welp I have to hand it to ufoTABLE, they tried their absolute best to make a lame, ridiculously overpowered and trivializing character like Gilgamesh and his battle with Rider interesting and to make both look gar, but the fact still stands that Gilgamesh is just about the worst thing about this otherwise wrinkled, ponderous and complex franchise. He's not interesting or complex to any degree (especially compared to his master), and it just makes everything else that happens feel so utterly pointless when despite all the other heroic, fascinating and oft depressing stories we have this lame one note character whose whole schtick is "I was first king therefore win!". Hell he didn't even have to move against one of the more powerful characters we've seen in this prequel so far and to me that's just a bit of a joke.

To me he diminishes the whole idea of the Holy Grail War and all it's behind the scenes machinations, strategy sessions and backstabbings to the complexity of a poker match every time he gets involved in the story. Should you happen to draw Gilgamesh it's like just happening to luck into a royal flush, you're opponent can still try to bluff you, they can try to outwit you a bit and throw you off what they have in their hand, but the only question left to be answered when all the cards come down on the table is how much you stand to win. Tokiomi even admits as much in the first season when during the summoning he proclaims nonchantly that they've won the grail war.

Thankfully his lameness can't diminish the lustre of the other heroes stories when he's not on screen and there are some highlights to be found here like the interesting wrinkle that developed with Lancelot turning out to be Berserker. How does Saber pursue the battle with her most trusted of trusted heroic comrades? How can you ask someone to fight a battle like that? It certainly makes for a more interesting conflict than anything that could involve Gilgamesh that's for sure. Thus while this episode was a bit of a write off for me other than the Saber fight and the gorgeous choreagraphy making me respect ufoTABLE and their unenviable position of attempting to make a Gilgamesh fight last longer than a couple seconds, I'm still looking forward to the finale...just not the Gilgamesh vs. Saber part of it. Man is that going to suuuuuuuck but for the animation! If he could manage to make me feel nothing for a character I liked as much as Rider's death just via his enabling it I'm sure he can manage to trivialize the ending a bit for me too.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 12:59   Link #20
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Gil is so hax, lol at Waver's war cry
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote