AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-25, 08:22   Link #61
pomps
グ~…

I like Kagami's "Nattoku ikaneee" when she got 89 and Konata got 86 in the test, that sounds so Kagami .
Old 2007-04-25, 18:40   Link #62
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Ep.3: (LC translation, for my sins)

Konata: What's your favourite colour?
Tsukasa: White.
Kagami: Black.
Konata: Same as your hearts.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-25, 20:55   Link #63
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Konata: What's your favourite colour?
Tsukasa: White.
Kagami: Black.
Konata: Same as your hearts.
Whoa, huge translation issue here. I firmly believe she's talking about Kagami's heart, not both sisters', just because of the flow of the conversation (she's answering Kagami). Since in Japanese she just says "it goes with your heart" and nothing else, there's no real marker of who it is directed to, but it would make no sense for Konata to make such a joke at Tsukasa.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-04-25, 20:58   Link #64
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Whoa, huge translation issue here. I firmly believe she's talking about Kagami's heart, not both sisters', just because of the flow of the conversation (she's answering Kagami). Since in Japanese she just says "it goes with your heart" and nothing else, there's no real marker of who it is directed to, but it would make no sense for Konata to make such a joke at Tsukasa.
Unless she weren't making a joke at Tsukasa, but rather emphasizing the difference between the sisters.

Of course, I haven't actually seen the episode yet, so...
Old 2007-04-25, 21:01   Link #65
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Unless she weren't making a joke at Tsukasa, but rather emphasizing the difference between the sisters.
Oh, yeah, it could be just that. I didn't get that feeling, though, from the timing of the punchline, and since she doesn't say お互い or something like that... well, I could be a little paranoid, so the translation might be right.

Old 2007-04-25, 21:25   Link #66
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm fairly sure that what Konata is saying is that Tsukasa has a white heart and Kagami a black heart.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-25, 21:28   Link #67
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that what Konata is saying is that Tsukasa has a white heart and Kagami a black heart.
Yeah, thinking it thrice, it makes pretty much sense. Maybe I need to see it on-screen...

Old 2007-04-25, 22:27   Link #68
LCeh

I am loving the jobs the VAs have been doing with these characters. The way they speak the dialogue is what makes this show fun, especially for a slice of life, conversation-centered show like this.

From episode 3, just because the way it was said, that "good job!" at the end was hilarious. The way Kona immediately responded and said "I haven't" was also pretty funny too.
Old 2007-04-26, 01:25   Link #69
EvolutionXI

yah, that last "good job" was funny. I like how both Konata and Kagami cheered but for different reasons

Last edited by EvolutionXI; 2007-04-26 at 01:47.
Old 2007-04-27, 11:29   Link #70
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaFire View Post
I thought mayo on eggs was absolutely disgusting until I tried it because of Tsukasa. xD
XD

I tried the mayo on the Natto recently.I know people who do this, (one of the girls I know does), heck even Tsukasa's Seiyuu likes it. I remembered when I was young I used to mix raw egg yolk in it... so I was like "what the heck" dump, mix mix.... wasn't that bad. But it was more gooey, so I can't imagine the people who already hate Natto liking it better. I guess it kinda gets rid of the smell? Personally, I like it better w/o the mayo

As for quotes, right now, I think I have to go with

Akira: でもね、マニア受けっていったら、 私もその筋のロリコン... ざんね~ん!
完全に中学生の言う台詞じゃねな w

and

Kagami: そりやぁ 断然ビアンカに決まってるでしょ!
wwwwwww 超なつかしぃぃぃぃぃぃぃ
でもな、フローラは捨て難いよなぁ...?な?
Old 2007-04-27, 11:45   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Personally, I prefer natto after ingesting a large quantity of sake.

(commercial mayo on the other hand - is the purest evil in a jar. homemade mayo isn't so bad though)

NOTE:
I've taken a look at Eien no Anime's releases.... people who are somewhat unhappy with some of a.f.k.'s choices in translation or grimacing at some of LC's efforts might consider looking at EnA. They sort of occupy a middle ground -- definitely some errors but for 'no apparent reason' those didn't distract me so much. They actually spelled Negi-Tanshio properly and switched back and forth between the japanese names for food and their rough english meaning (providing for both types of audience) ....
They were a bit less colorful in translating some of the slang-ish talk but I spotted almost no grammar/syntax issues.

Their font and color choices for subtitling also scored a "win" from the Queen-of-picky about such things in my home.

So over-all Eien no Anime scored pretty highly in my book, I guess.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-27 at 13:14.
Old 2007-04-27, 14:42   Link #72
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Personally, I prefer natto after ingesting a large quantity of sake.
You're the first gaijin I've met that actually enjoys natto. I can tolerate it, but I wouldn't ask for it
Old 2007-04-27, 15:00   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh... note that I said "after ingesting a large quantity of sake".... pretty much the preparation I have to do before I can karaoke (i.e. get stupid).

Actually, I prefer natto to sea urchin -- possibly the most "unique" taste I've ever encountered (*bleh!!!!!*).

I'll eat most anything that can't outrun me on the dinner table though.
Old 2007-04-27, 16:01   Link #74
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Level E, I love your avatar. It's just too perfect. XDDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
NOTE:
I've taken a look at Eien no Anime's releases.... people who are somewhat unhappy with some of a.f.k.'s choices in translation or grimacing at some of LC's efforts might consider looking at EnA. They sort of occupy a middle ground -- definitely some errors but for 'no apparent reason' those didn't distract me so much. They actually spelled Negi-Tanshio properly and switched back and forth between the japanese names for food and their rough english meaning (providing for both types of audience) ....
They were a bit less colorful in translating some of the slang-ish talk but I spotted almost no grammar/syntax issues.

Their font and color choices for subtitling also scored a "win" from the Queen-of-picky about such things in my home.

So over-all Eien no Anime scored pretty highly in my book, I guess.
Hmm. I've downloaded both EnA and WiND's versions of Lucky*Star but I haven't actually watched them yet, and since you say EnA's version is good, I need to definitely check it out. It'd at least be a nice break from what I've been doing the past two nights and wee hours of the morning - trying to get a black bar underneath the raws in which to place subtitles (it's a brill idea IMO, but the person who suggested that has no idea how much sanity I've lost over it... ah well, it should be worth it if it works though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
You're the first gaijin I've met that actually enjoys natto. I can tolerate it, but I wouldn't ask for it
Actually, natto isn't that bad IMO. Sure it looks like a mass of sticky boogers clinging to the bowl and your chopsticks, and it stinks like you can't even describe, but the taste of it is almost, well.. good. (Of course, I had mine wrapped up in rice and seaweed; maybe that makes a difference.) XD
Old 2007-04-27, 16:09   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That would be me... and I figured it was damn hard or some fansub group would have already done it (adding a black strip beneath the video for subtitles to happily live).

All I'll say is that *I* liked their translation better on average so far (how's that for a qualified endorsement). My wife really likes their font and color choices best. OTOH, Their OP translation is a bit of mess and shows just how much confusion there is over the mysterious "official lyrics".
Old 2007-04-27, 16:23   Link #76
Question
Crossdresser

Hands down my favourite quote of ANY anime.
Old 2007-04-28, 00:00   Link #77
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post

Hands down my favourite quote of ANY anime.
You realize that's from the Jokesub, don't you? (The sub of the first episode Lucky Channel did n which they substituted even dirtier lines for some of the originals -- as if Lucky Star wasn't naughty enough).
Old 2007-04-28, 01:07   Link #78
Chavenz
CHA-LA! HEAD-CHA-LA!

Hope nobody has posted this.. Ep3

Quote:
Miyuki-san. Good job!
Old 2007-04-28, 10:50   Link #79
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
It'd at least be a nice break from what I've been doing the past two nights and wee hours of the morning - trying to get a black bar underneath the raws in which to place subtitles (it's a brill idea IMO, but the person who suggested that has no idea how much sanity I've lost over it... ah well, it should be worth it if it works though).
If this is for softsubs then (depending on the subtitle filter) it should be possible to simply position the subs in the black area below the picture in full screen mode. With ffdshow's subtitler you tick the "process full image" box and the letterbox option, however my experience has been that it doesn't always work for some reason. The media player Viplay meanwhile lets you drag softsubs around the screen with the mouse in real time including outside the picture area in full screen mode.

For hardsubs, virtualdub will let you add a border to the image during resize, eg. try a dummy resize like this:

1. resize: 704x396->704x396 (nearest neighbour) with letterbox: 704x484
2. null transform: cropping: crop 44 pixels off top

The first filter adds a 44 pixel black border both top and bottom, the second one removes the top border leaving just the bottom one. (It may be possible to add a border non-symmetrically to avoid the second step but I can't think of a way offhand.)

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-28, 20:22   Link #80
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Ah, the WinD sub finally appears. Good things are worth waiting for. This joke was obliterated in the speed-subs.
Quote:
Konata: When there's a gap between the actual age and the physical appearance of the person's age, that is something to be sought for in every era in any world. ... You can't question that one.
But isn't it definitely strange to have a student whose grade deviation is evidently out of place from the rest of the school?

Kagami: That's true. I'm in complete agreement with you there.
Love that self-referential humor.

Last edited by Telliamed; 2007-04-28 at 22:28. Reason: grammer nazi
Closed Thread